Grayson Murray Passing

rawdog

1 hour ago, Ghost of Snead said:

A little more perspective from Gary - 

Just For Today (5clubsgolf.com)

Really great article and spot on regarding alcoholism and addiction.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM10 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Odyssey Triple T 

always saddened when I hear about suicide. I have lost a few friends to it and it hurts. I never saw it coming with any of them. 

• Like 3

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Posted (edited)

Did I read somewhere that he had an on again/off again relationship with his girlfriend?  Engagement was broken off or something?  Regardless, I can only imagine what she must be feeling.  

Edited by GolfGuitarsCars
  • Confused 1

Ping G400 SFT 12*

Ping G 5W 19*

Ping G  7W 21.5*

Ping G410 5 Hybrid 25*

Mizuno JPX 923 HM HL 6-GW

Cleveland CBX2 54* & 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport Mil Spec 340g @ 34”

Bettinardi BB1 350g @ 34”

5 hours ago, Jugs said:

Not necessarily, signs can be heavily nuanced.   At times those appearing to show a turnaround in both affect, behavior, and performance can be the ones to be careful with.    It could mean they've come to grips with what they are about to do and the manner in doing so, a load has been lifted from their shoulders.   Seeing a brighter change in their affect appears to be a good sign but it can mean something else.  

This is worth repeating. Sometimes when folks have "decided" days or weeks in advance there can be a marked improvement in their attitude/outward interaction, because while the act isn't complete, they feel relief and that a weight is off their shoulders because they've made the specific decision and method.

• Like 1

Sometimes people just don't want to continue and want to die.

It's hard for those living to comprehend this but it's their life and they can do what they want.

Obviously not the best case scenario because it hurts for everyone else, but in another sense it's almost a little selfish for others to want someone to carry on despite hurting so much and not being able to get better.

It could be reasonable to compare it to someone with a terminal disease or in great pain, they simply wish to stop suffering.

This was the answer for Grayson and maybe there is a little grace in that as it was his choice and that's what he wanted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Golf Clubs

Golf Ball

Golf Bag

9 hours ago, MariahCarry said:

Sometimes people just don't want to continue and want to die.

It's hard for those living to comprehend this but it's their life and they can do what they want.

Obviously not the best case scenario because it hurts for everyone else, but in another sense it's almost a little selfish for others to want someone to carry on despite hurting so much and not being able to get better.

It could be reasonable to compare it to someone with a terminal disease or in great pain, they simply wish to stop suffering.

This was the answer for Grayson and maybe there is a little grace in that as it was his choice and that's what he wanted.

Agree to disagree I guess.  I don’t personally believe that it’s impossible to “ get better “.  Most of us see times of better.  I believe Grayson saw times of better.  To normalize this , is to push many more to it.  

I’ll shut up there.  Because I don’t think this is the time to debate it. And I don’t think that the site will allow us to debate it anyway. Hope you feel better.  

• Like 3

Callaway mavrik max 8* mmt 70 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Ping Glide forged 53 59 AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, MariahCarry said:

Yeah it's sad to think about because it's easy to imagine a scenario where Grayson is in his 40's or 50's looking back at this weekend thinking about how he almost did it, but pushed though and went on to live a happy life, married, with children, and how he overcame his demons.

I know it gets said over and over but we truly don't know what people are going though or what they're thinking about. One thing I will take away from this is to just be nicer to people and I want to echo what Harry Higgs said:

"Each day say something nice to someone you love. And also, make it a point to say something nice to somebody you do not even know."

Completely agree there.  It should be obvious to anyone reading my rambles here that I’m one of the ones who struggles sometimes.  Thoughts ? 🤣.  I’d say I self censor 80-90 %.  Compare that to what I say. Or frequency of what I say.  And you’ll see that invasive thoughts are 24/7.  But it also proves that you can overpower them.  

I try to  find Joy.  Not Happiness.  Happiness is fleeting.  It’s usually material .. or at least of the  quick dopamine hit variety of smiles.  Joy is that thing that you’d walk in front of a bus to protect.  It’s grounded. In concrete. And exceedingly rare.  It’s the long game. Thats  whats  kept me going.  

its funny.  Higgs is spot on.  I got this from my grandmother.  The self professed person who never saw a stranger.  Not one.  I’ve handed out the contents of my wallet more times than I can count to someone who asked for a meal , or gas money.  Done jobs that I refused money for because I knew of the need. And I always seem to catch complete hell from someone for it.  As if that makes me stupid.  I’ve lived with the motto that “ if they’re lying to me it’s on them.  I gave with a trusting heart , and I won’t change myself because of someone else’s lies “.    Not sayin that for self adulation. But to explain that , those acts have always made me feel better. I don’t know why.  But they do.  helping someone , or holding a door , showing respect etc.  alwasy feels good.  And people as individuals respond well to it. As if it’s a lost dying art that they haven’t seen in eons.  

But I must say. The older I get.  And the harder the world is to be around , the more foolish I feel.  You’d think by looking at retirees now ( I’m 44),  that getting closer to retirement age would feel lighter.  Easier.  By a degree. But it’s several degrees harder. And heavier , and more impossible . Good will isn’t returned anymore.  Customers demand more and more , for less. And faster.  And they demand it on your weekend off. Etc etc. people as a whole aren’t better. They’re  much worse. I find myself not nasty enough to thrive.  And yet , somehow when I switch the nasty switch on , they’re shocked , scared and reactionary.  The game seems to be passive aggression only.  Which is dishonesty personified.   

I’ll shut up. 🤣.  I told you the intrusive thoughts never stop.   Time to tell them to F off and get back to work.  

be nice.  It’s the only high road there is. 

• Like 3

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I have been disappointed by the lack of media coverage for Grayson.

It feels like the golf world has collectively put their head in the sand and won't address this.

I know it is a very uncomfortable subject, but it almost seems disrespectful to ice-out his life and story.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Murphy76 said:

It feels like the golf world has collectively put their head in the sand and won't address this.

I know it is a very uncomfortable subject, but it almost seems disrespectful to ice-out his life and story.  

Tough line to walk, how much coverage is too much versus too little. Front page of PGA has a section dedicated to him. They spent quite a bit of time over the weekend talking about him and interviewing players that played with and knew him. I'm glad i'm not the one who has to decide how much or little coverage to devote to it.

35 minutes ago, Murphy76 said:

I agree.  I watched the news this morning hoping to see a story.  Or better yet a series start.  But not a peep. Not one.  

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

12 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I agree.  I watched the news this morning hoping to see a story.  Or better yet a series start.  But not a peep. Not one.  

Likely not going to hear much more because it's becoming apparent that Murray taking his own life wasn't quite the "bolt from the blue" surprise that it was initially portrayed to be. 

Relationship with his fiance had broken down, many of his former demons had re-entered the picture, other indicators of an imminent problem were there and missed. That doesn't reflect particularly well on the PGA Tour, and therefore it's likely that Murray's story will drift quietly away.

• Like 2

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 11:05 PM, callawayjay said:

I’ve been sober for over 32 years. The stigma of mental health in a country that emphasizes for profit health care compounds anyone’s ability to seek proper help. 

I slept on a park bench in 1992 for multiple nights. The thought of ending it all crossed my mind many times. I didn’t have a god given talent. I have fought for everything I have. My life is full now I can’t be more grateful. 

quit trying to sweep addiction under the rug. Hug ur loved ones. We are all fighting a battle no one else understands. 

kindness is free 

Not sure we needed to go there, but I've been on the other side in a fully government-run system that wanted to amputate both legs of one of our girls injured in an accident. Just over a year later she was running and playing soccer--not without some difficulty, but she is fully mobile. Her legs were spared by one of those evil private hospitals. 

I do heartily agree that addiction shouldn't be swept under the rug, but I don't even think that really applies here, either, as Murray was very open about his struggles. 

Edited by IndyArcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Murphy76 said:

Something worth considering is how long it takes to edit something and also be presented in a tasteful and thought out way.

The media in general does create celebrity death edits ready in case / when it happens, but they are mostly reserved for older people or those more likely.

In the case of Grayson, it came out of nowhere and there would have been nothing ready to present. With that said, the CBS team did spend quite a bit of time talking about it and still carrying on with the tournament and coverage (as per his families wishes to continue).

It seems likely that there will be a Golf Channel feature on the life of Grayson that will be released soon, maybe for the US Open week.

Stay well everyone

Golf Clubs

Golf Ball

Golf Bag

7 hours ago, Murphy76 said:

Sometimes it’s hard to help those that seemingly can’t be helped, and while you may not think they have done enough behind the scenes they may have done more than ever.

i lost an employee due to an overdose and other employees feel we didn’t support the employee.   Truth be known we can’t tell the employees what we did due to privacy laws, so we have to remain silent and look bad.

and honestly we did more for this one employee than we should have legally, and went far above giving him second and third chances where we could be in tough waters with other terminated employees 

at the end of the day the employee lied to us multiple times, had us believing we were the ones messed up and ended up taking his life after 4-5 times in treatment….and honestly I am angry at the employee for making us second guess doing all we could for him.

So while they may not state everything they have done for him in the press, likelihood is they did a lot more than you think.  And sometimes addicts don’t want to be helped.

i can’t imagine tennis and golf from a mental stress standpoint.    And how alone it must make one feel if it is your livelihood 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Lobby said:

The pressure of playing poorly; the attacks on your sense of worth must be overwhelming.

What a tough life.  

Yet too many folks think these pros have it easy.   Sure, if you're averaging 68, instead of 74

Sense of worth?? They’re literally the 0.002% best golfers on the planet that play a game for a living….life is about perspective, that’s the only thing we can control 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Murphy76 said:

I'd rather they have a informed response and release thoughtful, reflective coverage than sensationalize his death. I'd rather see a few articles and segments with a focus on how he turned his life around as best he could while struggling against everything he was feeling and a emphasis on reaching others who are struggling than for him to be a byline on a media ticker and an attention grabber for tabloids.

100% feel free to state if you feel otherwise, but there have been a number of tasteful responses & segments over the weekend along with coverage of his family's statement and publication by a close friend on his blog. Everything's been measured and respectful. They even reran the segment they made earlier in the year discussing his struggles and his comeback, which I think is the best statement possible about how his peers, friends, and the Tour viewed him as a person.

The only thing I'd say might be good is more sharing of crisis/prevention resources that are a part of regular media coverage in similar circumstances, but I don't find what they've done so far to be disrespectful in the least.

• Like 2

The reaction to Murray's passing has been a bit bizarre and perplexing.  There are a lot of narratives that people want to just sweep under the rug because he committed suicide - which is the saddest way to go out.  All of these things can be true:

1) Murray had numerous issues with substance abuse and depression.

2) There are stories of him being kind of an a****** - possibly attributed to (1), but I've known many substance abusers and depressed people who weren't a******* to other people.

3) Murray wanted help from the PGA Tour - as a man with means, why is this even a Tour issue?  I'm sure they had a 1-800 Employee Assistance Program number any player could call.  He clearly needed more help than that, but he could certainly afford help.

4) He was trying to get right and turn his life around - obviously wasn't all the way there yet, but that's admirable.  

5) He was ranked outside the Top 100 and asking where his "loyalty check" was for staying with the PGAT when LIV started - honestly laughable and Rory telling him to "play better" isn't anything Rory should be held accountable for. 

I know this isn't the "Nobody did enough to help Grayson" post a lot of people want to see, but everything has to be viewed in its full context. 

• Like 2