2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Is my epoxy going to fail?

Posted (edited)

I've been using the Golfworks Tour set Epoxy recently vs. the 24 hour epoxy.  I like the faster cure time vs. waiting 24 hours.  I've been doing smaller jobs, one or two clubs so I haven't been mixing a lot.  I've noticed lately with the smaller portions, It doesn't appear to be setting as well.  I really try to mix 1:1 and I feel I am but the syringe is so hard to push evenly sometimes.  

My most recent adapter I installed, I ended up playing with the club 6 hours later and it was fine however when I checked the epoxy this morning.  It was firm yet soft.  I could dent it with my finder nail and when I ripped it off the cardboard, It was flexible, not hard and brittle like I expected.  I've used the club already with fine results, but will this epoxy fail eventually?  

One side note.  I did put the epoxy outside in the sunlight.  It was in direct sun and about 70 degrees out.  I noticed after about a half hour the epoxy looked very matte instead of glossy.  Not sure if this did anything or just exposed it was still a bad mix.  

Edited by quizzylish

Driver: Ping G410 LST, 9 degree, VA Composites Raijin Black 65 X

3 Wood: Sim Tour Issue, 14.5 degree, VA Composites Synystr 75 X

Utility: Ping iCrossover 3 iron, GD 95X 

Irons: Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo, TT X100

Wedges: Vokey 54/58, S300

Putter:  Lajosi, Bellum Winnmore, or Scotty 5.5......We'll see who wins!! 

Ball: Titleist ProV1

33 minutes ago, quizzylish said:

I've been using the Golfworks Tour set Epoxy recently vs. the 24 hour epoxy.  I like the faster cure time vs. waiting 24 hours.  I've been doing smaller jobs, one or two clubs so I haven't been mixing a lot.  I've noticed lately with the smaller portions, It doesn't appear to be setting as well.  I really try to mix 1:1 and I feel I am but the syringe is so hard to push evenly sometimes.  

My most recent adapter I installed, I ended up playing with the club 6 hours later and it was fine however when I checked the epoxy this morning.  It was firm yet soft.  I could dent it with my finder nail and when I ripped it off the cardboard, It was flexible, not hard and brittle like I expected.  I've used the club already with fine results, but will this epoxy fail eventually?  

One side note.  I did put the epoxy outside in the sunlight.  It was in direct sun and about 70 degrees out.  I noticed after about a half hour the epoxy looked very matte instead of glossy.  Not sure if this did anything or just exposed it was still a bad mix.  

Nothing seems unusual about the cure. Golf shafting epoxies always cure a little "stickier" than most hardware store 2-part epoxies and that's OK. I'm not an epoxy expert but I believe that brittle epoxies tend to have lower lap shear strengths, which is the opposite of what makes a good golf shafting epoxy.

The most important determining factor is going to be the quality of the prep work in the hosel and the shaft tip. The strength of the bond drops off exponentially if the bonding surfaces aren't ideal.

With that being said, I use the high-impact epoxy from golfworks even though it has a 24hr cure time. I only use 15min epoxies for putters or shaft extensions, but it's personal preference. The high-impact epoxy is overkill but gives me peace of mind.

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F @ 49, 54S @ 55, 60M

SC NP2

The Tour Set epoxy has many, many threads about failures.  Some guys use it.  Most hate it.  Will yours fail?  The odds are not in your favor.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (Didn't make the cut)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (still the GOAT)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

51 minutes ago, Socrates said:

The Tour Set epoxy has many, many threads about failures.  Some guys use it.  Most hate it.  Will yours fail?  The odds are not in your favor.

So do you recommend the Golfworks 24 hour epoxy?  

I have had failures with the Golfwork tour sets, they dont seem to adhere to metal shafts as well as the 24 hour version.  I have used Golfworks and Brampton long cure and although I hate the wait, I do have peace of mind that it has never failed me....Usually when u add too much hardener, the epoxy will be more brittle and when u use too little hardener, the epoxy will be softer.

1 hour ago, quizzylish said:

As I am prepping the club, I fill a small plastic container with hot water from the tap, and sit my Tour Set epoxy in the container. My stuff is in the basement, and it doesn't get much above 60* down there in the winter. The stuff wouldn't come out of the tube otherwise.

I've never had a failure with the quick cure, but I also wait overnight before using the club.

32 minutes ago, Socrates said:

This is what I have used for the last 10+ years.

vb1001__35894.1676061826.jpg?c=1

Opinions on Brampton's 24-hour epoxy in comparison?  I've had some failures with the faster-setting stuff too (non-Brampton), and the whole experience is tempting me very strongly to just get the 3M gun and 816 or whatever that's always mentioned here, and be done with it.

I'd thought I'd roughed up the hosel and shaft surfaces adequately, then cleaned rigorously.  Guess not.  Nothing like seeing your iron-head sailing peacefully downrange...then very humbly asking the staff if the ballpicker could go and retrieve it for you.  Definitely do not want a repeat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rsballer10 said:

Golf shafting epoxies always cure a little "stickier" than most hardware store 2-part epoxies and that's OK.

Interesting.  Definitely not true with the Golfsmith 24 hr epoxy I've been using.   But I haven't used anything else for a long time now.

Maybe I should get a small batch of the golfworks to test. 🤔

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Interesting.  Definitely not true with the Golfsmith 24 hr epoxy I've been using.   But I haven't used anything else for a long time now.

Maybe I should get a small batch of the golfworks to test. 🤔

The golfworks epoxies have been that way for me. 

Edited by rsballer10

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F @ 49, 54S @ 55, 60M

SC NP2

34 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

Opinions on Brampton's 24-hour epoxy in comparison?  I've had some failures with the faster-setting stuff too (non-Brampton), and the whole experience is tempting me very strongly to just get the 3M gun and 816 or whatever that's always mentioned here, and be done with it.

I'd thought I'd roughed up the hosel and shaft surfaces adequately, then cleaned rigorously.  Guess not.  Nothing like seeing your iron-head sailing peacefully downrange...then very humbly asking the staff if the ballpicker could go and retrieve it for you.  Definitely do not want a repeat.

I have used some Brampton's in the past.  It was okay.  Didn't use it long enough to give an opinion.  The only epoxy I didn't like as the 3M DP810.  Just me.

• Thanks 1

Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
MCC Align Midsize

Get the bottles....should not be an issue with equal amounts.  Can't get it out of the bottle?  Place in microwave for 10 seconds!

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8* and 9*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

If you want faster set times but still looking for max strength, I use this.  Have never had an issue.  According to Golfworks its formulated to match 3M epoxy.

I've always avoided the regular Tour Set because of all the stories of failure.  

Screenshot_20240529_163445_Chrome.jpg.2814c9e6be85e37a86c85aca02605700.jpg

• Like 3

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 9.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 4-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

3 hours ago, jblough99 said:

If you want faster set times but still looking for max strength, I use this.  Have never had an issue.  According to Golfworks its formulated to match 3M epoxy.

Thanks!!  I just ordered some!!  

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, quizzylish said:

I like the faster cure time vs. waiting 24 hours.  I've been doing smaller jobs, one or two clubs so I haven't been mixing a lot. 

7 hours ago, Socrates said:

This is what I have used for the last 10+ years.

vb1001__35894.1676061826.jpg?c=1

7 hours ago, rsballer10 said:

this is the stuff I use and it's bomb-proof

Agreed with the above. @quizzylish one of the absolute best things you can do if you want maximum strength + a shorter curing time is to use heat. IMO the concept of heat curing is objectively superior to using "fast cure" epoxies to the point said epoxies wouldn't even exist if heat curing was commonly understood/practiced. You get all the benefits of the (on average) higher strength of 24hr epoxies when compared to their faster curing counterparts plus the assurance that your epoxy is thoroughly cured. Many epoxies actually cure *stronger* with heat than they would otherwise, partially due to how thoroughly the epoxy cures. 

image.png.197ca75ee11b0e2a6bfeef6bb1ac4d57.png 

High heat guarantees you end up in the "solid" phase. I've stress tested this as well and have never had a failure when building a single club with 24hr epoxy, heat curing at 160* for 60min, then taking it straight to the driving range. 

Personally i'll never use a quick set/fast cure epoxy with this option available. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I use 24hr epoxy and heat cure it for 1 hr at 150*F with my heat gun (about 2.5' away). I made a drying chamber out of plywood which is nothing more than two sides and a back out of 1/2" 5" high. I place the clubs vertical and lay a piece of 1/8" over the top and slide it back against the shafts. I can play them in 2 hrs.

BT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

17 minutes ago, Ri_Redneck said:

I use 24hr epoxy and heat cure it for 1 hr at 150*F with my heat gun (about 2.5' away). I made a drying chamber out of plywood which is nothing more than two sides and a back out of 1/2" 5" high. I place the clubs vertical and lay a piece of 1/8" over the top and slide it back against the shafts. I can play them in 2 hrs.

BT

This right here.  Best of both worlds.  Reliable epoxy, and hit the club in 2 hours.  Please don't whine about having to build a box.  I use scrap lumber and just haphazardly stack cut-off boards around the clubs, with the hot air gun laying on the garage floor from a few feet away, blowing into an opening in the wood dam.  It's stupid easy to pull this off.

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

40 minutes ago, Nessism said:

This right here.  Best of both worlds.  Reliable epoxy, and hit the club in 2 hours.  Please don't whine about having to build a box.  I use scrap lumber and just haphazardly stack cut-off boards around the clubs, with the hot air gun laying on the garage floor from a few feet away, blowing into an opening in the wood dam.  It's stupid easy to pull this off.

I have everything I would need to give this a go. Just stack the clubs inside the box and give it some heat.  Sounds pretty simple.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nessism said:

I appreciate all the responses and tips but I'm still wondering what to do with the current shaft adapter I glued up?  Do I pull it and restart or should I be okay since I have swung it aggressively several times and it seems fine, or will this fail over time?  

I've had two heads fly off in my playing career.  One driver and one 3 wood.  These were done by someone else, which honestly led me to start doing my own work.  The one 3 wood head was never found since it tumbled off straight ahead in the weeds and I'm pretty sure sank into a pond.  If no one has experienced this situation, it honestly is the strangest feeling to all of a sudden lose all that weight while performing a full swing.  

Edited by quizzylish

20 minutes ago, quizzylish said:

I appreciate all the responses and tips but I'm still wondering what to do with the current shaft adapter I glued up?  Do I pull it and restart or should I be okay since I have swung it aggressively several times and it seems fine, or will this fail over time?  

I've had two heads fly off in my playing career.  One driver and one 3 wood.  These were done by someone else, which honestly led me to start doing my own work.  The one 3 wood head was never found since it tumbled off straight ahead in the weeds and I'm pretty sure sank into a pond.  If no one has experienced this situation, it honestly is the strangest feeling to all of a sudden lose all that weight while performing a full swing.  

My rule is: if in doubt, pull it apart.  No need to fool around and guess.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
MCC Align Midsize

I've used the Tour Set for quite a few builds - including my current gamers - and have never, ever had a single problem at all. 

Certainly seen it get flak around here but in my experience; it's done what it's supposed to do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB LA GOLF L

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.04°T LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, aenemated said:

I've used the Tour Set for quite a few builds - including my current gamers - and have never, ever had a single problem at all. 

Certainly seen it get flak around here but in my experience; it's done what it's supposed to do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

My son uses the Tour Set and swears by it.  He chuckles at me for being stubborn with using the 24 hour set. 

Old timers like myself are just creatures of habit I guess.  😉

Edited by Port and Starboard
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, jblough99 said:

Not a big fan of the regular tour set either, but the plus is great. No issues for many years. 

If in doubt, pull it apart and redo it. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

3 hours ago, aenemated said:

a handful of failures get reported (and frequently re-referenced) on the internet and the perception of the failure rate is always going to be way higher than the reality.   it might be a bit higher than some of the other options but it's still likely even better than a 1 in 10k failure rate.   I personally think it's much more likely just an indication that it's less forgiving to user error than any kind of problem with the formulation.   But everyone has to make their own decision - and that's fine whichever way they lean.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, quizzylish said:

I have used the GolfWorks Tour set for years and have never had a failure. But I recently changed over to 3M products and I have been very impressed. While it is a bit more costly I feel it’s well worth it.

• Driver - Ping G400 Max 10.5 
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Titliest 818 23* Tensi Red R 
  • Iron - Srixon U85 23* @ 24* UST Recoil 95 f3
  • Irons - Ping i210 6-PW UST Recoil 95 f3 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 52* @51* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

On 5/29/2024 at 2:28 PM, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

Opinions on Brampton's 24-hour epoxy in comparison? 

I've been using the 20/20 Long Cure for the last few years, and have not had any issues. I've never used any quick cure epoxy, but have never had a failure in 35 years of building clubs.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 LS MK II 9.5° - Attas 11 70S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

23 hours ago, quizzylish said:

I’ve seen clubheads fly off before (from other peoples builds) and in every instance I can remember the shaft surface was inadequately prepped, if it had been prepped at all. I think if you are confident that step was done correctly, you can trust the epoxy to do it’s job.