2024 The Ascendant WITB Photos ×

Club Upgrade Poll: Driver or Putter

Club Upgrade: Driver or Putter?  

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

47 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

It’s always baffled me that guys will spend $500 at the drop of a hat to hit it 8 yds further, but will balk at spending that same $500 on a putter that could improve their score much more.

9 yard difference between my 2005 Titleist 905T and 2024 Taylor Made QI10. I have 100% confidence in my 905T and can still stripe it and even hit it off the deck. Maybe I’m answering my own question. 

IMG_0856.png.5a5ad9172597ee2d08fd43a88c6f9403.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JamesFisher1990 said:

Generally speaking, players who make the most money on Tour are superb drivers of the ball and not always great putters. See: Rory & Scottie.

When it comes to putting for a 70's shooter... all you need to do is not 3 putt, but you need to likely be hitting it 250+, keep all drives in play, and hit a decent # of fairways which is much harder than simply not 3 putting. 70's shooters do not make many birdies... maybe 1 on a normal round, 2 or 3 when they are on a heater. Draining putts from long range is abnormal and not required to be a good player... but driving the ball well is.

Totally agree here.

Driving for me is most important, I am not a great driver of the ball and it puts alot of presure on the rest of my game, espcially putting.

Putting is pretty consistant, so if I have a good day with the driver, it makes a notable difference to my score. Many more looks at birdie apposed to srambling for pars.

A mess...

2 minutes ago, bjive said:

Totally agree here.

Driving for me is most important, I am not a great driver of the ball and it puts alot of presure on the rest of my game, espcially putting.

Putting is pretty consistant, so if I have a good day with the driver, it makes a notable difference to my score. Many more looks at birdie apposed to srambling for pars.

I think of it like this - if you're driving it into the trees or OB, you'll almost never have a birdie look, maybe on a short par 5. But you can still shoot even par with 36 putts (or more, technically).

Testing new Ventus+ week of 7/8!

G430 10k 10.5* Flat | Ventus Blue TR 6X 44.75"

BRNR Mini 11.5* -> 12.5* | Ventus Blue TR 7X 43.5"

Stealth 2 Plus 18* ->19*  weight fwd| Accra FX 2.0 380 M5 42"

TSR2 21* -> 22.5* | Ventus TR Blue 8X 41"

ZX7 Mk ii 5-PW | Axiom 125x

S159 51/11, 56/10, 60/8

Chrome Soft X or Bridgestone B X

Mezz Max

Putter gives you your great rounds

Driver ruins your rounds

LOL

Shooting in the 70s is too broad. You can shoot 79 and be a weak putter. You cannot shoot 71 and be a weak putter. 

Overall i'd seek improvements in putting first. Maybe that's because i'm bad at it for my skill level

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I learned to play the game from the pin to the tee, so I say putter.  Agree with @MtlJeff, you can put up some great rounds putting.  Putting can also save some not so great rounds.  You can still shoot low driving it crooked.  Hard to save a round putting it crooked.

• Like 2

Searching…

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x 

Srixon   ZxU mkii 4i   Modus Ghost Stiff 

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

5 minutes ago, Ca3l said:

Are we assuming guaranteed performance gains? Because I remember correctly, there’s a lot of evidence that driving is much more important at the tour level, and I feel like I’ve read about the data from Arccos or one of the other tracking apps supporting the same for amateurs. How many strokes can someone in 70s really gain from changing a putter? Read is more important than roll, and according to arccos there’s ‘only’ a 4 putt per round difference from 15 hcp to scratch in the first place (35 -> 31). I think someone shooting in 70s already could adapt much better to a poorly fit putter than a poorly fit driver. Plus, more forgiveness and distance off the tee would yield less errant tee shots, closer approaches, and closer putts.

Side note, I do consider my putter fitting as money well spent. It helped me figure out what type of hosel and general head shape works best for my stroke . If someone had a decent driver and was only looking at picking up a couple extra yards, I’d prob tell em to go fitter putter route instead. 

Firmly agree with all of this.

A mess...

The technology of a newer driver will do much more in forgiveness than any putter technology that has come out since they were shafted with wood (other than maybe L.A.B, that's some real stuff).

That being said, if you currently don't like your putter, I would upgrade it first given that you seem to enjoy your current driver. If your current driver/putter are roughly equal, I'd go driver first

• Like 2

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.12D, 60.04L / Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:       PING PLD DS72

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

Good putting can save a round, bad putting can destroy it. I can get round the course with bad driving or you can swap to a three wood. Swapping your putter just makes it much harder.

It’s also the most used club in the bag 28-38 times a round for many people, so a well fitted putter should shave more strokes. Unless you’re that bad with driver you constantly hit OB. Plus a well fitted putter will last many years.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade MySpider Tour X
Taylormade tp5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Putter, 100%. I've found that the driver mostly comes down to user error, but putting is mostly a mental game. I have two putters, a B60 and an Odyssey 7, and every 2-3 years I switch between them when I find myself yipping putts and it clears it right up for the next few.

• Like 2

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 9.0 Diamana WB 63X

Callaway XR Pro 16 deg 3W, XR Pro 20 deg Hy

Titleist 718 T-MB 2i PXi 6.0

Titleist T150 5-48 PX 6.0

Nike Engage 52 60TS

Odyssey Versa 7

I can drive it great and still hit irons like crap, putt poorly - play poorly .  If my putters hot I’ll typically be under par regardless of how I drive it or hit irons.  Putter is the biggest equalizer in the bag 

• Like 2

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

7 hours ago, JamesFisher1990 said:

Generally speaking, players who make the most money on Tour are superb drivers of the ball and not always great putters. See: Rory & Scottie.

When it comes to putting for a 70's shooter... all you need to do is not 3 putt, but you need to likely be hitting it 250+, keep all drives in play, and hit a decent # of fairways which is much harder than simply not 3 putting. 70's shooters do not make many birdies... maybe 1 on a normal round, 2 or 3 when they are on a heater. Draining putts from long range is abnormal and not required to be a good player... but driving the ball well is.

I shot par with 7 birdies the other day 😞 5 over on the front 9, 5 under on the back 9, felt like the train wreck scene from bullet train

2 hours ago, Phabs said:

I can drive it great and still hit irons like crap, putt poorly - play poorly .  If my putters hot I’ll typically be under par regardless of how I drive it or hit irons.  Putter is the biggest equalizer in the bag 

That assumes you're very stable with your irons/driver on a bad day though. I am a bit like that as well, where on a bad day I'll be hitting my driver all over the face and it will be short but still relatively straight

On a bad iron day I need miracle level chipping and putting to save the round 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mvvraz said:

I shot par with 7 birdies the other day 😞 5 over on the front 9, 5 under on the back 9, felt like the train wreck scene from bullet train

That assumes you're very stable with your irons/driver on a bad day though. I am a bit like that as well, where on a bad day I'll be hitting my driver all over the face and it will be short but still relatively straight

On a bad iron day I need miracle level chipping and putting to save the round 

I will always firmly believe the iron play is the single most important aspect of a golf game because if that is firing you can bail yourself out of so many crappy tee shots whereas if it is not all you will do is waste your good tee shots into nothing.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JamesFisher1990 said:

This guy is a spy....2nd paragraph described my game to a tee.

My golf buddies must have pooled their nickels. Cheap bunch of clowns. ☺

• Like 1

Depends I guess.  If you're rocking an older unforgiving driver that isn't giving you optimal numbers, getting something newer that is likely going to be more forgiving and consistent should yield the best results.  Putters haven't really changed a whole hell of a lot.  If you're using an old newport and get a new newport, well that's kind of a wash.  

But, if you're a terrible putter using a blade and go into something that you can align better and is more stable for your stroke, then that could yield the best results.  But, if you're regularly in the 70's, something tells me that you'd be pretty comfortable with your putter as it is.  If you're getting a new putter for it to be the biggest impact, I feel like it would have to be a big departure from what you currently have and help solve a deficiency that you're dealing with.   

A driver that is 10 yards longer doesn't sound like a lot.  But, it can be the difference between a 6 iron or 7 iron into a green.  Getting home in two vs laying up.  Assuming you're as straight or straighter with it.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Making putts saves scrambling pars. A great putting day can still produce decent scores from wayward drives and missed greens. That said, my vote would be chipping/scrambling… which leads to putter. If you can make the 10 footers from average chips for par, that can make the difference in the score.

• Like 2

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

Depends on the weaknesses in your game. If driving is your strength, then it would hard to recommend going for a new driver and vice versa. If you are looking to get the most out of your dollars, then generally driver will give a higher return on investment. A newer driver will GENERALLY be more forgiving and retain more distance. Unless your putter is the opposite of what you would be fit into and you have many 3 putts a round, then the gains are going to be marginal. You will shave more shots from hitting 1/2 to 1 club less into greens than dropping from 33-32 putts per round. After all, proximity to the pin is more important to putts per round than the putter itself. 

• Like 4

Dr: Mizuno ST-G 440, Kai'Li White 70TX
3w: TSR2 15*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 70g
3i: Mizuno Fli Hi, HZRDUS Black 6.5 80g
4i: New Level NLU-01 24*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 100g
5i-7i: Takomo 301CB, TI X100 Black Onyx
8i-PW: Takomo 301MB, TI X100 Black Onyx
51*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI X100 Black Onyx

55*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI S400 Black Onyx

60*: Taylormade HI-Toe 3 Tour Grind, TI S400 Black Onyx
P: Meridian Charleston Mid Slant Custom

Been up at Cabot Cliffs/Links all week, and driving the ball really well. Today was my worst driving by far, but shot my lowest score with a hot putter.

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 LS MK II 9.5° - Attas 11 70S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

I voted driver.

Jon Sherman in his book The Four Foundations of Golf, which builds on the work of Scott Brodie who pioneered the concept of strokes gained, stresses the importance of hitting the ball as far as you can off the tee, regardless of fairways hit, with the caveat that of course you should avoid penalty areas. In his words (more or less), at EVERY tee box, he pulls driver, looking for reasons to not hit it: you know, the usual suspects like water right in the landing area of your shot shape/distance, trees, ob, anything else that might to penalties off the tee and/or unreasonable recovery shots. In other words, hit driver off the tee every time that doesn't lead to a penalty shot. Hitting the fairway or the rough does not matter: Sherman, based on Brodie's work, convincingly demonstrates that amateurs, no matter their handicap, are almost equally good out of the rough as the fairway, meaning landing in the rough is not as penalizing as many golfers believe. 

As someone mentioned, avoiding 3-putts is also vital, but hitting it as far as possible off the tee is more important, therefore driver is more important than a putter. 

• Like 3

Honestly, I'm surprised how many people say putter.  Spending $500 on a putter won't make you a better putter.  It might briefly give you false confidence, because you spent a fortune on a new putter.  Eventually that will wear off and you end up dropping another $500 on some putter with a fancy headcover that is worth more than my 20 year old MacGregor Bobby Grace M3 that I got for $30 when a local shop went out of business.

I struggled to hit driver for a few years and was teeing off with a 1 Hybrid because I could hit that hybrid 240ish dead straight most of the time.  2 years ago I got fitted for a driver (OG Stealth HD) and I keep it in play much more often saving a TON of shots and gaining 40+ yards on my hybrid giving me shorter approach shots and ability to reach some par 5s in 2.

Yes, lessons would probably been a better use of my money but it was a quick fix to get me back in/near the fairway with the big dog.

• Like 2

A lot of the responses here are not making the distinction between the clubs and the shot. Taking the OP literally, the question is about the value of the piece of equipment: driver vs putter. Many of the answers here are responding about the importance of the shot driving vs. putting. They're not the same thing. At all.

• Like 1