A little advice from someone who made a mistake

11 minutes ago, AZBandit said:

Just wanted to remind everyone to STAY HYDRATED and listen to your body on the course.

I played 18 this morning. Something felt off after 10 holes or so. Should have stopped... I thought I was drinking enough - clearly not. Even though I downed a ton of water when I got home - I just suffered through 30 minutes of the worst, all-body cramps I've ever had.

Things are slowly getting back to normal, so all is good. But don't put yourself in that situation.

Even if you don't live in a crazy desert - drink more than you think you need (and I don't mean beer.) Stop if something feels wrong. You don't want what I just had.

Sorry to hear, a lot of water is good, but during and after copious sweating, your body needs electrolytes.  
Gatorade or the like , I opt for Gatorade Zero, don’t need all that sugar. 

Also out now are several higher strength rehydrating beverages. Gatorade edition is called GatorLyte.  Recommended only one consumed per day.  

Nunn tablets are good, electrolytes to add to water. Handy to have in the bag.  

If you know you’re going to play in those conditions a person needs to up the hydration the day before, not on the 3rd hole.  Once your mouth is dry , it’s too late to catch up, but don’t give up, keep drinking whatever you have.  

That cramping episode would have been diminished with some of these products, vs plain water.  

p.s. this should probably be in another forum. not sure what the right one is.  Not too many read this one.  

• Like 2

Proper hydration is always a concern in these warming days. I used to run medical support in summer field exercises....I agree w/most of the above. The idea of WATER is the proper hydration, I proposed - not tea, coffee, beer, kool-aid, or even the gator-aid variety (in the field, after back in tent area is ok). I also proposed the idea that "rule of thumb" for proper hydration is "pee clear & s*** soft".

1 quart of water per hour was (remains, for me) the ideal...

I realize that many will drink the electroylte supplement anyway out on the course...if you do, then drink an equal amount of water...after you get home, then drink some diluted electroylte solution.

Enjoy the Game.....safely

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AZBandit said:

Just wanted to remind everyone to STAY HYDRATED and listen to your body on the course.

I played 18 this morning. Something felt off after 10 holes or so. Should have stopped... I thought I was drinking enough - clearly not. Even though I downed a ton of water when I got home - I just suffered through 30 minutes of the worst, all-body cramps I've ever had.

Things are slowly getting back to normal, so all is good. But don't put yourself in that situation.

Even if you don't live in a crazy desert - drink more than you think you need (and I don't mean beer.) Stop if something feels wrong. You don't want what I just had.

Sometimes the body doesn't speak loud enough and or the person is oblivious to what the body is saying.  I've been there from lack of water and worse.  Nearly died a few times during climbs above 8k, from lack of enough water ending in hypothermia.  Drink water when you don't want to drink... and I am not talking sips.  Don't drink any booze; otherwise it could be worse.

I am playing this weekend where the temp is supposed to be 110+  

• Like 3
  • TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I've found the LMNT electrolyte product to be outstanding for this. I sweat like a horse, and so need all the help I can get in the swampy summer heat.

Glad you're better now, OP.

• Like 2

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Glad you're recovering.  Was just thinking about this topic today as I get ready to take a golf trip at the end of the month.  We'll be playing 36 holes each day for 3 days.  Last year I made sure to drink at least 2 bottles of water every 9 holes.... one plain water and one with a Gatorade Zero packet dropped in to get electrolytes.  No cramping issues at all last year so I think that's my plan again this year.

• Like 2

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

7 minutes ago, mocokid said:

They say yellow mustard can stop the cramping.  

I’m a truck driver and I do drink 32-44 ounces of water each day driving but  I still drink a fair amount of caffeine also. Often as I tire slight calf and hamstring cramps can occur especially if I’m not active. I have heard the same thing about yellow mustard. Placebo effect or not I keep packets of mustard on hand and regularly have one or 2. Maybe it does something maybe not???? Easy enough to keep a few packets on hand anyways and I now like mustard a lot more 

• Like 2

I have used these for a long time, have worked well, basically no calories either. 

SaltStick Caps

SALT6326_CAPS_RENDER_FIN_2021JUN25.png?v

I have now started using these.   It gives me just a bit of carbohydrates that the Saltsticks don't have. 

LIQUID I.V.

HMO_LL_16ct_PDP_925a1713-e324-4fe2-a44b-

I played Saturday in 90 degree heat and fairly high humidity, walked for the first time all year, and came through cramp free, then came home and mowed my grass.  I did have a small cramp in my calf/foot later that day, but I struggle with cramps all the time, especially since I went on a low carb diet, I was paranoid my body would seize up, but I came out pretty well all things considered. 

• Like 2

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

1 hour ago, teevons said:

AZ Bandit didn't mention if he was walking course or using cart??

I prefer to walk, but the course I was playing is interspersed in a housing development. So - cart. 

That's the thing, I didn't feel like I was overexerting and I drank about 3 quarts while on the course.  No electrolytes, so there's that. Also, extremely low humidity and temp of 95f.

I think I ignored my symptoms because I was riding. The breeze evaporates all your sweat and you're not walking as much so you feel like it's no big deal.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear everyone's ideas. I'll be trying some of the electrolyte concoctions and paying closer attention to my body next round.

Posted (edited)

I've been using an electrolyte mix "Ultima"...I'm a vegitarian, thanks to Agent Orange. This mix - no sugar, no artifical sweetners (stevia is used, but way down on the ingredients list) & it uses plant based flavors & colors.
I'll stress again, to dilute w/twice the amount of water suggested in the directions of any mix - you still get the electrolytes AND you hydrate at the same time.

Edited by bcstones
  • Like 3

I've played in temps to 118+ and ONLY consumed a lot of water, some food, and did fine.  IMO No need for additives.  But that depends on the level of your normal conditioning.  If you're not a workout junky, used to stressing your body, then anything can happen to your body when it's under duress.  And, additives are NOT likely to prevent it.

• Like 1
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

I've played in temps to 118+ and ONLY consumed a lot of water, some food, and did fine.  IMO No need for additives.  But that depends on the level of your normal conditioning.  If you're not a workout junky, used to stressing your body, then anything can happen to your body when it's under duress.  And, additives are NOT likely to prevent it.

I kinda sorta agree w/you. I've played & worked in triple digit temps. I consure only water (no "food"), it's when I get back home (or go inside after working outside), that is when I take the electrolytes in double/triple amount of water. When you sweat, you lose electrolytes....that's just a fact. I'm guessing that "food" is like those nutrition bars, I usually put one or two in the bag, but rarely used them on course....tho, I might when on the practice range if I was there for a few hours. Mostly electrolytes are mostly water soluble, so they are mostly metabolized in the kidneys & excreted in urine....so no mater what, the thumbnail for hydration is "Piss clear" (tho, a wee bit of macabe humor - eating beets, you might pee a clear red 😂 or after intake of nutritional yeast for the "B's", perr a clear yellow 🤣)

I don't understand "workout junky, used to stressing your body", I don't get the correlation. Any exercise is stressful...but the stress is different from when you first began to, say years later, as a more accomplished practicitioner. 

Edited by bcstones

On 6/6/2024 at 6:43 PM, bcstones said:

I kinda sorta agree w/you. I've played & worked in triple digit temps. I consure only water (no "food"), it's when I get back home (or go inside after working outside), that is when I take the electrolytes in double/triple amount of water. When you sweat, you lose electrolytes....that's just a fact. I'm guessing that "food" is like those nutrition bars, I usually put one or two in the bag, but rarely used them on course....tho, I might when on the practice range if I was there for a few hours. Mostly electrolytes are mostly water soluble, so they are mostly metabolized in the kidneys & excreted in urine....so no mater what, the thumbnail for hydration is "Piss clear" (tho, a wee bit of macabe humor - eating beets, you might pee a clear red 😂 or after intake of nutritional yeast for the "B's", perr a clear yellow 🤣)

I don't understand "workout junky, used to stressing your body", I don't get the correlation. Any exercise is stressful...but the stress is different from when you first began to, say years later, as a more accomplished practicitioner. 

I use the word "junky" in reference to the diverse types of training stress I used to put on my body with the express purpose of withstanding whatever stress might be put on my body and mind later.  

Started day with a breakfast sandwich, and driving 2hrs to reach tee time, temp was 100', drank a great deal of water, and 2 packs of LivPur, one Protein drink, then temp was 110', ate a Bar, and a banana. 

When we made the turn, I was feeling pooped as I faced a 460yd par 4.  Hit a decent drive down the middle right, a decent 2i, 30yds short of the green, wedge to 5' of pin, tapped in par and walked off wiped out.  Conditions over the round were really challenging for all of us, but the fact I was the oldest by far, and finished with a 77, is a testament to ole-fart conditioning.  There was nobody on the course after us.  Then I spent 3hrs floating in buddies pool.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I learned the importance of hydration and proper electrolytes long ago. I took what I would describe as a Sports Medicine class when I was assistant safety officer in the Volunteer Fire Department. At the time I was also racing dirt track cars on the weekends. I learned about pre hydration. I would start hydrating on Wednesday for the weekend. You would not believe how hot a dirt track car gets in the summer.

Now days I only drink coffee in the morning and water from then on. In the summer here I do a Pedialyte mix. I will drink one on like the 3rd hole and one at the turn. My course we are allowed coolers because we do not have water on the course. My cooler holds 8. 6 will be water and the other 2 Pedialyte mix. Like someone else mentioned I have to watch it because of my BP meds which contain a Diuretic. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I've heard the zero calorie electrolyte drinks are kind of bogus...your body doesn't absorb the electrolytes fully without an insulin spike that is accompanied with real sugar. I use to drink Powerade/Gatorade Zero all the time and still sometimes had cramps...when I drink regular gatorade and water together I feel a lot better.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Neo1 said:

I've heard the zero calorie electrolyte drinks are kind of bogus...your body doesn't absorb the electrolytes fully without an insulin spike that is accompanied with real sugar.

Where did you hear that?  Sugary drinks are counterproductive for hydrating.   The body will react to high sugar levels by diluting it with water from the body and expelling it.  Check the label for sugar levels, they’re pretty high.  Gatorade says 22 grams, that’s 7 teaspoons……….

one source.  

https://www.eatingwell.com/drinks-to-avoid-for-hydration-8651155

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Neo1 said:

I've heard the zero calorie electrolyte drinks are kind of bogus...your body doesn't absorb the electrolytes fully without an insulin spike that is accompanied with real sugar.

not sure about that....from what I remember about insulin has nothing to do w/electrolytes, it has to do w/the management of blood sugar levels

agree with @st1800e read labels, even if they don't give grams/amounts, where on the list gives a thumbnail idea of how much sugar is in anything...so if sugar is in the top 5 in any solution, that's pretty high. 
fyi - any ingredient ending in "ose" is a sugar.

Edited by bcstones
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, st1800e said:

Where did you hear that?  Sugary drinks are counterproductive for hydrating.   The body will react to high sugar levels by diluting it with water from the body and expelling it.  Check the label for sugar levels, they’re pretty high.  Gatorade says 22 grams, that’s 7 teaspoons……….

one source.  

https://www.eatingwell.com/drinks-to-avoid-for-hydration-8651155

Was told this by my chiro who also studies sports medicine…it has to do with glucose but instead of trying to explain myself I found an article online. I’ve personally always felt better and hydrated when I drink electrolytes accompanied by sugar myself and didn’t know why  until I found out…

IMG_1521.png.9558c8aadc9da9c8daa76cf3d9eff6fa.png

2 hours ago, Neo1 said:

Was told this by my chiro who also studies sports medicine…it has to do with glucose but instead of trying to explain myself I found an article online. I’ve personally always felt better and hydrated when I drink electrolytes accompanied by sugar myself and didn’t know why  until I found out…

IMG_1521.png.9558c8aadc9da9c8daa76cf3d9eff6fa.png

As with everything, the right amount is essential. No doubt there’s already some sugar in our body and diet.   I’m just not going to add 15 teaspoons of sugar to my intake with 2 gatorades a round.   I eat a couple protein bars in a round,  they have some sugar.  

• Like 1

ahhhhh.....weird that it speaks to sugar AND glucose when glucose IS a sugar....interesting....but it doesn't seem to take into effect that a normal diet supplies both sodium, nutrients, and electolytes. The products mentioned are about rehydrating and re-electrolyting (not sure that an actual word, buy ya'll get the idea)...even when playing or at the range or working outside in triple digits, I hydrate with water & later when I get home I will use the electrolyte solution in 2-3 times the water suggested.  

Maintaining a normal diet seems to the basis (as @BIG STU mentioned)....

I'll also mention that too much sugar acts in the body as a diuretic which is the opposite of hydrating.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, st1800e said:

As with everything, the right amount is essential. No doubt there’s already some sugar in our body and diet.   I’m just not going to add 15 teaspoons of sugar to my intake with 2 gatorades a round.   I eat a couple protein bars in a round,  they have some sugar.  

my point was when a zero calorie electrolyte beverage/supplement claims it's just as hydrating as the non zero sugar variety then that's just not true...of course you can take a zero sugar electrolyte and have it with a banana or granola bar or anything that has carbs in it and it'll essentially be the same thing as taking in the simple carbs that help our bodies hydrate "better". but for most people dealing with extreme heat we're just not hungry...it's much more difficult having to take in food when we're sweating that much, the hunger hormone ghrelin just isn't active when dealing with heat, our bodies actually want to shut down and not stress too much with digestion when it's hot...I only drink stuff like gatorade when it's over 90 degrees and it's usually just 1 bottle...nothing to get worked up about with that amount of sugar when I'm burning energy in the heat. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2024 at 10:51 AM, Pepperturbo said:

I've played in temps to 118+

Rookie.

I grew up in Palm Springs and the best golf deals were in the summer months. Through work I had access to some very exclusive private courses that I could only play in the heat of summer. Most of the times it was worth it, but one day we tried to play Tamarisk CC (Frank Sinatra's home course) and we had to quit mid round as it was oppressive, Literally like opening an oven door and peeking in. It set a record that day.

Good info from lots of the guys here. Start hydrating way before you're going to play, lots of water - pee clear and don't pass on an electrolyte capsule a couple of hours before you tee off. Use a cooling towel around your neck and if you can get a battery fan that you can mount on the cart so you'll at least feel a little cooler.

633E9CB5-BDB9-4012-B62F-C0F9472EA0BF-2787-000000EFD5451735.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

20 minutes ago, RSinSG said:

Rookie.

I grew up in Palm Springs and the best golf deals were in the summer months. Through work I had access to some very exclusive private courses that I could only play in the heat of summer. Most of the times it was worth it, but one day we tried to play Tamarisk CC (Frank Sinatra's home course) and we had to quit mid round as it was oppressive, Literally like opening an oven door and peeking in. It set a record that day.

Good info from lots of the guys here. Start hydrating way before you're going to play, lots of water - pee clear and don't pass on an electrolyte capsule a couple of hours before you tee off. Use a cooling towel around your neck and if you can get a battery fan that you can mount on the cart so you'll at least feel a little cooler.

Yep, I have been going to Rancho Mirage 1–2 times, for 3–4 days every 2 months for twelve years.  Probably buying another house at a pvt club there in the near future.  

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

9 hours ago, RSinSG said:

Rookie.

Yes I have a battery operated cart fan. I just got it out last week. Works well

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

One thing I have done in the past for the real heat is put ice in a small ziplock bag, cover it with a damp washcloth, and put it under my hat on the top of my head.  Basically, keep it there between shots, as its kind of hard to have that under your hat when you swing, but it keep you cool.  I also sometimes just poor ice down my shirt, that works too........😁

• Like 2

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV