Fitters: is it unwise to mix and match shafts?

JD3

Years ago I didn't really think twice about having a dissimilar bend profile in wedges, irons, fairways, driver, etc. Nowadays I'm borderline obsessive about it. For example, I am looking at a set of irons with either C-Taper or Modus 130, very different than the DG S200's in my wedges. Or should I be less concerned because they're at least in a comparable weight range, especially the 130's?

Edited by JD3

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Black 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

2 hours ago, JD3 said:

Years ago I didn't really think twice about having a dissimilar bend profile in wedges, irons, fairways, driver, etc. Nowadays I'm borderline obsessive about it. For example, I am looking at a set of irons with either C-Taper or Modus 130, very different than the DG S200's in my wedges. Or should I be less concerned because they're at least in a comparable weight range, especially the 130's?

IME as long as the bend profiles are similar, fit your mechanics and similar SW, go for it.

Bend profiles in wood are mid-to high with stiff handles, irons are mid-to high with stiff handles, same with wedges; however weights progress from light in woods and long irons to mid in irons and heavier in wedges.  SW is same from Driver to 9i, D3, but more progressive in SW in PW, SW, and LW.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

You don't need your iron shafts to match your wedge shafts, EI profile wise.  I have MMT in my irons and KBS Tour and 610 in my wedges.  MMT are more in line with DG while KBS Tour and 610 have softer tips with stiffer handles.  

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Absolutely not a problem, and I say that as somebody who does have shafts that "match" in woods and irons (1K Black in woods, DG 120 in irons, DG in wedges).

For anecdotal example, I cannot use any "soft mid" type of shaft in my driver. However, in fairway woods I get good results. Not the best, but not complete trash like it is in driver.

Jon Rahm has a stiff mid Ventus Black 7x in his driver, but his fairways have the soft mid Tour AD DI in them.VERY different, but they give him what he's looking for.

Scotty Scheffler and Xander are two examples of similar profiles from top to bottom. All about what fits best.

• Like 3

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

8 minutes ago, bcflyguy1 said:

Absolutely not a problem, and I say that as somebody who does have shafts that "match" in woods and irons (1K Black in woods, DG 120 in irons, DG in wedges).

For anecdotal example, I cannot use any "soft mid" type of shaft in my driver. However, in fairway woods I get good results. Not the best, but not complete trash like it is in driver.

Jon Rahm has a stiff mid Ventus Black 7x in his driver, but his fairways have the soft mid Tour AD DI in them.VERY different, but they give him what he's looking for.

Scotty Scheffler and Xander are two examples of similar profiles from top to bottom. All about what fits best.

I agree with your driver and fairway setup, for years I've been going with lower launching driver and softer higher launching fairway. My concern now is iron shaft, I have no intention to swap wedges ...they are perfect for me. But the irons I'm will to tinker some.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

Agreed with the above posts. IMO the only thing that is "unwise" is to ever think in absolutes about what should and shouldn't be done, especially as it related to something as subtle as shaft bend profiles.

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 3

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I've never heard of anyone trying to match bend profile throughout the bag.  Sounds like a silly quest.

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

15 minutes ago, Nessism said:

I've never heard of anyone trying to match bend profile throughout the bag.  Sounds like a silly quest.

I'm seeing it more and more these days, one reason I'm questioning deviating from a reasonably matched set. I.e. I don't see PX guys like Rory or Spieth using DG in their wedges.

• Haha 1

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

1 hour ago, JD3 said:

I'm seeing it more and more these days, one reason I'm questioning deviating from a reasonably matched set. I.e. I don't see PX guys like Rory or Spieth using DG in their wedges.

Tom Kim plays PX in his irons and I'm almost certain he plays S400 in his wedges.  There's actually a number of guys on tour that do that. 

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

I think it’s as personal as any other equipment choice throughout the bag. For me, I get better numbers from KBS 610 in my wedges on trackman and at the practice area. Take it to the course and I get in my own head about it not matching irons and what that means for full shots vs partials. I am building a test wedge with the BGT RedZNE, as despite SWing to be where I want, I do wish for a heavier Axiom wedge shaft. I feel I have a lot more control over what equipment I use than I do my golf swing, for better or worse, so for me eliminating variables where I can is helpful. I love adjustable drivers, fairways, but unless I’m actively tuning I legit have to leave the adjustment wrench at home or I’ll be moving mid range session/round

Current -> Coming

Stealth 2 Plus 10.5@9, 45” Ventus TR Black 6X -> Stealth 2 Plus 10.5, 44.5” AD VF 5X

Stealth 2 Plus 15@14, 43.5” Ventus TR Black 7X -> Stealth 2 Plus 16.5, 42.5” AD VF 7X

Stealth 2 Plus 18@17, 43” Ventus TR Black 7X -> P-DHY 3i, Axiom 105X

P790 3i [email protected], Axiom 105X -> ZX5 MkII 4i/ C05TP 4i, Axiom 125X

P770 4i-PW, Axiom 105X -> ZX7 MkII 5i-PW / C03TC 5i-7i + C01TB 8i-P, Axiom 125X

PXG Sugar Daddy II 52/58 -> 52@50/52@54/58

SIK DW C Series All Black -> It got re-gripped

2023 Z Star Diamond -> ProV1x LD

12 hours ago, JD3 said:

The more new information and data comes out about the equipment (shafts and EI profiles in this particular case), the more that the common people will find ways to misuse and misinterpret that data.   It happened (and in some cases still happening) with torque and now it's happening with stiffness profiles.   Stiffness profiles are certainly a step up from the simple flex ratings - but they can still be easily mis-used.   A classic case of how a little information can be dangerous.

People put way too much stock in things like the shape of the profile.  Probably thanks to Russ and all those graphs with no actual numbers on them for the low cost subscription. 

The ONLY reason to be concerned is if actual real life problems arise when using or testing a shaft.  Period.

The only valid use of the stiffness profiles is to give us a relative comparison between two shafts.   Will shaft A feel stiffer or softer than shaft B?  And it can't even always tell us that (e.g. if the butt is stiffer but the tip is softer - different people will interpret that differently).    So it's really only useful in a limited context to help guide the fitter in the fitting process.   But most importantly, the stiffness profile does not (and never will) bypass the need for that fitting process and actual testing of the shaft.

And with wedges, FWIW, the shorter the club, the less the shaft stiffness really matters.   So for most ams, the only thing that really matters in the wedge shaft is the weight.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Tom Kim plays PX in his irons and I'm almost certain he plays S400 in his wedges.  There's actually a number of guys on tour that do that. 

From the WITBs Ive seen for Kim, he has PX irons and TT X100 wedges. Imo these aren't that far off in profiles, and arguably complementary if one wants a touch less active tip, and touch more smooth handle in wedges, while maintaining the beefy mid section.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

2 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

The more new information and data comes out about the equipment (shafts and EI profiles in this particular case), the more that the common people will find ways to misuse and misinterpret that data.   It happened (and in some cases still happening) with torque and now it's happening with stiffness profiles.   Stiffness profiles are certainly a step up from the simple flex ratings - but they can still be easily mis-used.   A classic case of how a little information can be dangerous.

People put way too much stock in things like the shape of the profile.  Probably thanks to Russ and all those graphs with no actual numbers on them for the low cost subscription. 

The ONLY reason to be concerned is if actual real life problems arise when using or testing a shaft.  Period.

The only valid use of the stiffness profiles is to give us a relative comparison between two shafts.   Will shaft A feel stiffer or softer than shaft B?  And it can't even always tell us that (e.g. if the butt is stiffer but the tip is softer - different people will interpret that differently).    So it's really only useful in a limited context to help guide the fitter in the fitting process.   But most importantly, the stiffness profile does not (and never will) bypass the need for that fitting process and actual testing of the shaft.

And with wedges, FWIW, the shorter the club, the less the shaft stiffness really matters.   So for most ams, the only thing that really matters in the wedge shaft is the weight.

Stuart - I agree with you. I don't want to say EI doesn't matter, but I think people equate similar EI curves with those shafts being "the same" or that they will play similar. I don't think that's the case. I figured I would post the definition of what an EI measurement actually is for reference:

https://www.golfshaftreviews.info/ei/

The term, EI is engineering short hand for E= Modulus of Elasticity and I = Area Moment of Inertia. Or, more simply, the elasticity of the shaft material and the thickness of the cross section of the shaft. The combination of these combine into the stiffness of the shaft at any point on the shaft. If the walls are thicker that section the shaft is stiffer.  If the graphite strands are running from butt to tip the stiffness they give to the shaft is more than if they are angled to control torque.

There is a MASSIVE assumption here. "If the walls are thicker, that section the shaft is stiffer" is only true if the shaft OD is the same from section to section. Which leads me to the point I'm trying to make : the same EI value can be created by manipulating different variables. A shaft can become stiffer through wall thickness, shaft diameter, or changing the material (the E in EI). While the EI could be the same for 2 shafts - HOW they achieve the profile/section could be vastly different, and vastly change the feel of the shaft.

I would like to submit the Modus 120S/X vs DGS300R/S as an example. EI profiles are very similar, but there are people that swear they are different. And they are probably right.

• Like 2

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F @ 49, 54S @ 55, 60M

SC NP2

2 hours ago, JD3 said:

From the WITBs Ive seen for Kim, he has PX irons and TT X100 wedges. Imo these aren't that far off in profiles, and arguably complementary if one wants a touch less active tip, and touch more smooth handle in wedges, while maintaining the beefy mid section.

While PX and X100 share very stiff tips, X100 has a softer handle which make them not feel as harsh as PX, IMO.  I think maybe that's what Tom's looking for. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 2

While agree with your first point, the second part needs a little correction.

6 hours ago, rsballer10 said:

There is a MASSIVE assumption here. "If the walls are thicker, that section the shaft is stiffer" is only true if the shaft OD is the same from section to section

It's not really an assumption - it's just one example of how the EI values can be manipulated.

The EI value for any point in the shaft is the bottom line for how the shaft will behave (and feel for that matter) at that point when something tries to bend it.   So how the EI value is designed or obtained actually doesn't matter - at least to the longitudinal loading.   How it might change other things like the torsional stiffness and response is a different question that needs to look at different values.  

Think of it akin to the spring constant of a coiled spring.   Lots of ways to manipulate the spring constant but when it comes time to determine how much compression happens for a given force, all you need to know is the value of the spring constant, not how they managed it.   In fact, you can sort of look at the EI values as a kind of spring constant for a leaf spring - (which isn't implying constant over the length of the structure).

I think the bigger problem is that most people look at and see graphs without numbers and try to compare them.  For accurate assessment the actual values are critical.   You can't just look at the shape of the curve and make any kind of accurate assessment of how the shaft will feel.   And even if the values are known,  as long as there are some differences to the values, it's still not easy to predict how the feel will change for any given individual.   Some can make an educated case on how the feel might change - but you still have to get the shaft in your hands and put a full swing on it to confirm that guess.   There are situations where even small changes to the EI profile could potentially result in larger changes to the feel.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

The EI value for any point in the shaft is the bottom line for how the shaft will behave (and feel for that matter)

Has anyone proven that equal EI values will feel the same? Can that be proven?

Edited by rsballer10

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F @ 49, 54S @ 55, 60M

SC NP2

39 minutes ago, rsballer10 said:

If your asking about just the feel limited to the influence of the longitudinal stiffness (as opposed to torsional stiffness) I don't see why anyone would bother.   That's like taking the effort to prove that a 120 grams is going to feel heavier than 60 grams - or that two items that are both 60 grams will feel equally heavy.    It certainly has been proven that how the shaft will actually bend under a given force is fully defined by the EI values.

Edited by Stuart_G

33 minutes ago, rsballer10 said:

I haven't seen exact same values but similar always seem similar to me. Of course weight also plays a significant part of feel. Seems like top fitters these days like Ian (formerly TXG) gets that first for shafts, and bounce/sole for heads. 

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

3 hours ago, rsballer10 said:

It won't always feel the same.  For example the Tour Z RPG Gold it pretty smooth for a tip and handle stiff shaft with a slight dropoff in stiffness in the mid.  TR Black has the same EI profile and has some feel to it but not nearly as smooth as the RPG.  Then you have Smoke Green Hulk which is the same profile which feels like rebar.  They only things they share in common is EI profile and how linear they feel. 

Edited by phizzy30

28 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

It won't always feel the same.  For example the Tour Z RPG Gold it pretty smooth for a tip and handle stiff shaft with a slight dropoff in stiffness in the mid.  TR Black has the same EI profile and has some feel to it but not nearly as smooth as the RPG.  Then you have Smoke Green Hulk which is the same profile which feels like rebar.  They only things they share in common is EI profile and how linear they feel. 

I'll bet if you plot the two EI profiles on the same graph they wont really be the same (completely coincedent) over the full length of the shaft.  There will be some difference in values. 

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

I'll bet if you plot the two EI profiles on the same graph they wont really be the same (completely coincedent) over the full length of the shaft.  There will be some difference in values. 

Probably not exactly the same but similar. 

2 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Probably not exactly the same but similar. 

Any difference can potentially result in a change in feel.    The point being questioned by @rsballer10 is if the feel can be different even if the EI profiles are exactly the same.

Anecdotally Tom Wishon used to post about how much of a change in the profiles needed to be different to be noticeable - and that amount varied depending on the which measurement was used.  But that was with respect to his DB and the frequency numbers - so I don't think that information would be useful with direct EI values.

Edited by Stuart_G

Just now, Stuart_G said:

Any difference can potentially result in a change in feel.    The point being questioned by @rsballer10 is if the feel can be different even if the EI profiles are exactly the same.

You and I know that two shafts that have the exact same EI profile can feel different from the different materials used. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phizzy30 said:

You and I know that two shafts that have the exact same EI profile can feel different from the different materials used. 

Sorry, I don't know that and I've never seen any proper data to support that.    And it would be very difficult to test - considering there can be measurable differences in EI values between two different shafts of the exact same model, weight, and flex.   So finding two shafts that had the exact same EI values but with different construction or materials would pretty much be impossible.

Of course, the manufacturing variations alone in shafts kind of make it a pointless question in a practical context.   So it's really only a discussion that can occur in the theoretical realm.

Ok so what's the takeaway here? I need to make a decision soon on a good deal of iron set with PX 6/6.5. would that work with my S200 wedge shafts and Axiom 105 3 iron?

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips