Jump to content

Right arm "connection" - bad for me!


Recommended Posts

Pretty sure I had seen monte mention his dislike for towel drill somewhere..... lots of people out there advocate keeping arms connected. 
 

I realised it's been an awful feel that I didn't realise was destroying my game. 
 

I tried allowing my trail elbow to leave my side and feel like the trail elbow doesn't fold so eagerly... it stays extended. 
 

in all honesty it's the biggest change I've ever felt in my swing.  I struggled with shanks, early extension, over the top slices/fats..... last week  I was  hitting the ball so well shot after shot.

 

To anyone reading this who is struggling - try making sure that your trail arm isn't getting your swing radius too narrow - let it give you width and watch how much further you hit the ball and with so much ease. 
 

this worked huge for me

Edited by hafnia
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:


amazing.  Incredible the amount of crap that is endorsed that ruins peoples swings such as "put a towel under arms" on full swings.
 

My first ever lesson was a pro who advocated me being connected and taking the club deep.  I'm a 46-48 inch chest bloke. 
 

I've had shanks on and off with fat horrible divots for far too long and a tendency to go over the top. 

the sensation of letting the right arm fly is a bit scary.... feel like you will miss the ball but my contact and divots are the best I've ever had. 

 

way ahead of the game as per usual@MonteScheinblum

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll just add that it doesn't have to be one or the other. Keeping the trail  arm connected (if I'm not mistaken, Mac called it PP5) doesn't necessarily cause you to fold that elbow too much, just as letting the elbow fly doesn't necessarily mean you'll have a straighter trail arm. Guys like Schaufelee and Homa hit the ball quite well, in fact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, johnrobison said:

I'll just add that it doesn't have to be one or the other. Keeping the trail  arm connected (if I'm not mistaken, Mac called it PP5) doesn't necessarily cause you to fold that elbow too much, just as letting the elbow fly doesn't necessarily mean you'll have a straighter trail arm. Guys like Schaufelee and Homa hit the ball quite well, in fact.

 

for me my elbow felt like its close to ribs vs away from ribs and the results were startling.  Not sure I could comprehend having connection that didnt allow my right arm to feel free.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interestingly my pro and I have experimented with this topic over the winter. I've always kept the right elbow "attached" to my side. We worked on giving the right are more freedom in the backswing and it was disastrous. Somehow as a result of this one change my slightly inside to out delivery path changed to an out to in path with a shut face. 

 

Like anything in golf one change has a cascade effect on everything else.

The logic behind the change was to provide:

  • some more width to my swing
  • Allow a more shallow angle of attack
  • allow a more extension to flexion wrist movement rather than supination to pronation movement. 

We worked on it some more however due to an old injury I'm unable to extend my right wrist back more than about 30 degrees. 

 

The actual result of this change was:

  • a club path several degrees out to in with a square or shut path to face
  • two different subconscious compensation moves, one was to drop the right shoulder on the downswing to try and get the path less out to in (hit either wipes right or snap hooks). The second was to add supination to the wrist movement and this made it almost impossible to make decent contact. 
  • The other surprising change was that my pivot changed. I never thought about this during the change but I wasn't rotating as much with the change and therefore was "spinning" out the shots as I had less "ground to cover" with my downswing to get back to the ball. 

Ultimately as soon as I "reconnected" my right elbow to my side in the swing I went back to hit pretty solid shots. 

 

As in all things golf, there is more than one way to do it but that doesn't mean it's not worth trying to correct the "flaws" in a swing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Divot License said:

Interestingly my pro and I have experimented with this topic over the winter. I've always kept the right elbow "attached" to my side. We worked on giving the right are more freedom in the backswing and it was disastrous. Somehow as a result of this one change my slightly inside to out delivery path changed to an out to in path with a shut face. 

 

Like anything in golf one change has a cascade effect on everything else.

The logic behind the change was to provide:

  • some more width to my swing
  • Allow a more shallow angle of attack
  • allow a more extension to flexion wrist movement rather than supination to pronation movement. 

We worked on it some more however due to an old injury I'm unable to extend my right wrist back more than about 30 degrees. 

 

The actual result of this change was:

  • a club path several degrees out to in with a square or shut path to face
  • two different subconscious compensation moves, one was to drop the right shoulder on the downswing to try and get the path less out to in (hit either wipes right or snap hooks). The second was to add supination to the wrist movement and this made it almost impossible to make decent contact. 
  • The other surprising change was that my pivot changed. I never thought about this during the change but I wasn't rotating as much with the change and therefore was "spinning" out the shots as I had less "ground to cover" with my downswing to get back to the ball. 

Ultimately as soon as I "reconnected" my right elbow to my side in the swing I went back to hit pretty solid shots. 

 

As in all things golf, there is more than one way to do it but that doesn't mean it's not worth trying to correct the "flaws" in a swing.

Played twice with the focus on getting width in the alright arm. It gives me a bigger radius and stops me getting stuck. 
 

played tonight in high wind and was hitting driver with 1cm tee height. Perfect strikes - it just works for me. Crazy 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, hafnia said:

Played twice with the focus on getting width in the alright arm. It gives me a bigger radius and stops me getting stuck. 
 

played tonight in high wind and was hitting driver with 1cm tee height. Perfect strikes - it just works for me. Crazy 

Different folks, different strokes

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, hafnia said:

Played twice with the focus on getting width in the alright arm. It gives me a bigger radius and stops me getting stuck. 
 

played tonight in high wind and was hitting driver with 1cm tee height. Perfect strikes - it just works for me. Crazy 

But, again... Trail arm width and trail arm connection are not mutually exclusive.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2024 at 6:53 PM, hafnia said:

Pretty sure I had seen monte mention his dislike for towel drill somewhere..... lots of people out there advocate keeping arms connected. 
 

I realised it's been an awful feel that I didn't realise was destroying my game. 
 

I tried allowing my trail elbow to leave my side and feel like the trail elbow doesn't fold so eagerly... it stays extended. 
 

in all honesty it's the biggest change I've ever felt in my swing.  I struggled with shanks, early extension, over the top slices/fats..... last week  I was  hitting the ball so well shot after shot.

 

To anyone reading this - make sure that your trail arm isn't getting your swing radius too narrow - let it give you width and watch how much further you hit the ball and with so much ease. 

This is where proper use of tools is necessary. The towel drill is really only good for half swings. Maybe for someone who has left arm and hands too high at the top it would help for full seings, but the towel drill should only been used for half swing in order to train the bottom of the arc.

 

All golfers (except maybe Matt Kuchar) need to bring the arms off the chest and then back to the chest.

  • Like 2

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, johnrobison said:

But, again... Trail arm width and trail arm connection are not mutually exclusive.


idiosyncrasies of individual swings. I don't think I could think "connection" and not shrink my right arm. 
 

I definitely do agree that golfers get connection and width - for me any issues of arms being disconnected are far outweighed by having a narrow/stuck backswing.

 

i genuinely think it's what has given me shanks.  If I feel like I have a fully extended right arm my swing feels much more free.  I've had a few thins but other than that it's the best I've hit it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hafnia said:


idiosyncrasies of individual swings. I don't think I could think "connection" and not shrink my right arm. 
 

I definitely do agree that golfers get connection and width - for me any issues of arms being disconnected are far outweighed by having a narrow/stuck backswing.

 

i genuinely think it's what has given me shanks.  If I feel like I have a fully extended right arm my swing feels much more free.  I've had a few thins but other than that it's the best I've hit it. 

I get it and that's great that you know what works for you. I'm simply saying that telling "anyone reading this" that they should be doing the same thing is misguided. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, johnrobison said:

I get it and that's great that you know what works for you. I'm simply saying that telling "anyone reading this" that they should be doing the same thing is misguided. 


tbh I think that should be the case with nearly all instruction.  
 

I seen the "me and my golf" lads do a video on right arm width and they got some pelters for it.  
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, hafnia said:


tbh I think that should be the case with nearly all instruction.  
 

I seen the "me and my golf" lads do a video on right arm width and they got some pelters for it.  
 

 

They’re conflating a connected right arm and a right arm that folds excessively. And I think they know it. But they’re YouTubers and have to keep generating content.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

    • Tiger Woods - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Tiger Woods - WITB - 2024 US Open
        • Like
      • 49 replies
    • 2024 US Open - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 US Open - Monday #1
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Tiger Woods - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Edoardo Molinari - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Logan McAllister - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Bryan Kim - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Richard Mansell - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Jackson Buchanan - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Carter Jenkins - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Parker Bell - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Omar Morales - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Neil Shipley - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Casey Jarvis - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Carson Schaake - WITB - 2024 US Open
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       

      Tiger Woods on the range at Pinehurst on Monday – 2024 U.S. Open
      Newton Motion shaft - 2024 US Open
      Cameron putter covers - 2024 US Open
      New UST Mamiya Linq shaft - 2024 US Open

       

       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 5 replies
    • Titleist GT drivers - 2024 the Memorial Tournament
      Early in hand photos of the new GT2 models t the truck.  As soon as they show up on the range in player's bags we'll get some better from the top photos and hopefully some comparison photos against the last model.
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 292 replies
    • 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Monday #1
      2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #1
      2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #2
      2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #3
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Keith Mitchell - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Rafa Campos - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      R Squared - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Martin Laird - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Paul Haley - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Tyler Duncan - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Min Woo Lee - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Austin Smotherman - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Lee Hodges - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Sami Valimaki - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Eric Cole's newest custom Cameron putter - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      New Super Stroke Marvel comic themed grips - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Ben Taylor's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Tyler Duncan's Axis 1 putter - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Cameron putters - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Chris Kirk's new Callaway Opus wedges - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      ProTC irons - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Dragon Skin 360 grips - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Cobra prototype putters - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      SeeMore putters - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 0 replies
    • 2024 PGA Championship - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put  any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 PGA Championship - Monday #1
       
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Michael Block - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Patrick Reed - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Cam Smith - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Brooks Koepka - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Josh Speight - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Takumi Kanaya - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Kyle Mendoza - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Adrian Meronk - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Jordan Smith - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Jeremy Wells - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Jared Jones - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      John Somers - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Larkin Gross - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Tracy Phillips - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Jon Rahm - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Keita Nakajima - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Kazuma Kobori - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      David Puig - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
      Ryan Van Velzen - WITB - 2024 PGA Championship
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Ping putter covers - 2024 PGA Championship
      Bettinardi covers - 2024 PGA Championship
      Cameron putter covers - 2024 PGA Championship
      Max Homa - Titleist 2 wood - 2024 PGA Championship
      Scotty Cameron experimental putter shaft by UST - 2024 PGA Championship
       
       
       
        • Like
      • 13 replies

×
×
  • Create New...