Right arm "connection" - bad for me!

Pretty sure I had seen monte mention his dislike for towel drill somewhere..... lots of people out there advocate keeping arms connected. 

I realised it's been an awful feel that I didn't realise was destroying my game. 

I tried allowing my trail elbow to leave my side and feel like the trail elbow doesn't fold so eagerly... it stays extended. 

in all honesty it's the biggest change I've ever felt in my swing.  I struggled with shanks, early extension, over the top slices/fats..... last week  I was  hitting the ball so well shot after shot.

To anyone reading this who is struggling - try making sure that your trail arm isn't getting your swing radius too narrow - let it give you width and watch how much further you hit the ball and with so much ease. 

this worked huge for me

Edited by hafnia

8 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

amazing.  Incredible the amount of crap that is endorsed that ruins peoples swings such as "put a towel under arms" on full swings.

My first ever lesson was a pro who advocated me being connected and taking the club deep.  I'm a 46-48 inch chest bloke. 

I've had shanks on and off with fat horrible divots for far too long and a tendency to go over the top. 

the sensation of letting the right arm fly is a bit scary.... feel like you will miss the ball but my contact and divots are the best I've ever had. 

way ahead of the game as per usual@MonteScheinblum

I'll just add that it doesn't have to be one or the other. Keeping the trail  arm connected (if I'm not mistaken, Mac called it PP5) doesn't necessarily cause you to fold that elbow too much, just as letting the elbow fly doesn't necessarily mean you'll have a straighter trail arm. Guys like Schaufelee and Homa hit the ball quite well, in fact.

1 hour ago, johnrobison said:

I'll just add that it doesn't have to be one or the other. Keeping the trail  arm connected (if I'm not mistaken, Mac called it PP5) doesn't necessarily cause you to fold that elbow too much, just as letting the elbow fly doesn't necessarily mean you'll have a straighter trail arm. Guys like Schaufelee and Homa hit the ball quite well, in fact.

for me my elbow felt like its close to ribs vs away from ribs and the results were startling.  Not sure I could comprehend having connection that didnt allow my right arm to feel free.

Interestingly my pro and I have experimented with this topic over the winter. I've always kept the right elbow "attached" to my side. We worked on giving the right are more freedom in the backswing and it was disastrous. Somehow as a result of this one change my slightly inside to out delivery path changed to an out to in path with a shut face. 

Like anything in golf one change has a cascade effect on everything else.

The logic behind the change was to provide:

• some more width to my swing
  • Allow a more shallow angle of attack
  • allow a more extension to flexion wrist movement rather than supination to pronation movement. 

We worked on it some more however due to an old injury I'm unable to extend my right wrist back more than about 30 degrees. 

The actual result of this change was:

• a club path several degrees out to in with a square or shut path to face
  • two different subconscious compensation moves, one was to drop the right shoulder on the downswing to try and get the path less out to in (hit either wipes right or snap hooks). The second was to add supination to the wrist movement and this made it almost impossible to make decent contact. 
  • The other surprising change was that my pivot changed. I never thought about this during the change but I wasn't rotating as much with the change and therefore was "spinning" out the shots as I had less "ground to cover" with my downswing to get back to the ball. 

Ultimately as soon as I "reconnected" my right elbow to my side in the swing I went back to hit pretty solid shots. 

As in all things golf, there is more than one way to do it but that doesn't mean it's not worth trying to correct the "flaws" in a swing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Divot License said:

Interestingly my pro and I have experimented with this topic over the winter. I've always kept the right elbow "attached" to my side. We worked on giving the right are more freedom in the backswing and it was disastrous. Somehow as a result of this one change my slightly inside to out delivery path changed to an out to in path with a shut face. 

Like anything in golf one change has a cascade effect on everything else.

The logic behind the change was to provide:

• some more width to my swing
  • Allow a more shallow angle of attack
  • allow a more extension to flexion wrist movement rather than supination to pronation movement. 

We worked on it some more however due to an old injury I'm unable to extend my right wrist back more than about 30 degrees. 

The actual result of this change was:

• a club path several degrees out to in with a square or shut path to face
  • two different subconscious compensation moves, one was to drop the right shoulder on the downswing to try and get the path less out to in (hit either wipes right or snap hooks). The second was to add supination to the wrist movement and this made it almost impossible to make decent contact. 
  • The other surprising change was that my pivot changed. I never thought about this during the change but I wasn't rotating as much with the change and therefore was "spinning" out the shots as I had less "ground to cover" with my downswing to get back to the ball. 

Ultimately as soon as I "reconnected" my right elbow to my side in the swing I went back to hit pretty solid shots. 

As in all things golf, there is more than one way to do it but that doesn't mean it's not worth trying to correct the "flaws" in a swing.

Played twice with the focus on getting width in the alright arm. It gives me a bigger radius and stops me getting stuck. 

played tonight in high wind and was hitting driver with 1cm tee height. Perfect strikes - it just works for me. Crazy 

13 hours ago, hafnia said:

Played twice with the focus on getting width in the alright arm. It gives me a bigger radius and stops me getting stuck. 

played tonight in high wind and was hitting driver with 1cm tee height. Perfect strikes - it just works for me. Crazy 

Different folks, different strokes

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hafnia said:

But, again... Trail arm width and trail arm connection are not mutually exclusive.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 6:53 PM, hafnia said:

Pretty sure I had seen monte mention his dislike for towel drill somewhere..... lots of people out there advocate keeping arms connected. 

I realised it's been an awful feel that I didn't realise was destroying my game. 

I tried allowing my trail elbow to leave my side and feel like the trail elbow doesn't fold so eagerly... it stays extended. 

in all honesty it's the biggest change I've ever felt in my swing.  I struggled with shanks, early extension, over the top slices/fats..... last week  I was  hitting the ball so well shot after shot.

To anyone reading this - make sure that your trail arm isn't getting your swing radius too narrow - let it give you width and watch how much further you hit the ball and with so much ease. 

This is where proper use of tools is necessary. The towel drill is really only good for half swings. Maybe for someone who has left arm and hands too high at the top it would help for full seings, but the towel drill should only been used for half swing in order to train the bottom of the arc.

All golfers (except maybe Matt Kuchar) need to bring the arms off the chest and then back to the chest.

• Like 2

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

5 hours ago, johnrobison said:

But, again... Trail arm width and trail arm connection are not mutually exclusive.

idiosyncrasies of individual swings. I don't think I could think "connection" and not shrink my right arm. 

I definitely do agree that golfers get connection and width - for me any issues of arms being disconnected are far outweighed by having a narrow/stuck backswing.

i genuinely think it's what has given me shanks.  If I feel like I have a fully extended right arm my swing feels much more free.  I've had a few thins but other than that it's the best I've hit it. 

4 hours ago, hafnia said:

idiosyncrasies of individual swings. I don't think I could think "connection" and not shrink my right arm. 

I definitely do agree that golfers get connection and width - for me any issues of arms being disconnected are far outweighed by having a narrow/stuck backswing.

i genuinely think it's what has given me shanks.  If I feel like I have a fully extended right arm my swing feels much more free.  I've had a few thins but other than that it's the best I've hit it. 

I get it and that's great that you know what works for you. I'm simply saying that telling "anyone reading this" that they should be doing the same thing is misguided. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, johnrobison said:

I get it and that's great that you know what works for you. I'm simply saying that telling "anyone reading this" that they should be doing the same thing is misguided. 

tbh I think that should be the case with nearly all instruction.  

I seen the "me and my golf" lads do a video on right arm width and they got some pelters for it.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hafnia said:

tbh I think that should be the case with nearly all instruction.  

I seen the "me and my golf" lads do a video on right arm width and they got some pelters for it.  

They’re conflating a connected right arm and a right arm that folds excessively. And I think they know it. But they’re YouTubers and have to keep generating content.

• Like 1