2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Long iron from "forgiving set" as a Driving iron

jjinsa

I have ping s56 irons - love them.  The 3 and 2 iron I have, are a bit scary looking - the 2 iron particularly terrifying.   

I have always been an iron person, over woods or hybrids.  I hit them better...

Would a 3 iron from a set like, Srixon ZX5 (or 545, 565 etc), or a wilson d9 forged, or something along those lines, be hotter and more forgiving than my S56 3 iron?  And would it be somewhere in-between my s56 3 iron and a true driving iron/utility iron?   I don't like "hybrid" style driving irons, I like traditional feeling and sounding irons.   I also want to be able to flight it down as much as I can.

This is all assuming lofts are the same (so maybe a 4 iron in some would be like the s56 3 iron, which is quite weak lofted in today's terms)

Mizuno ST-Z, Kurokage XT 60 TX

Cobra Radspeed Tour 17,5d, Kurokage XM 80  TX

Titleist TS3 Tour Issue Hybrid, Aldila 2KNV Blue 90 TX

Ping S56 2i to PW, DGX100

Cleveland RTX Zipcore, 52/56 Mid DG X100, 62 Low DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Square Counter Balanced Putter

Also consider ZX4 mkii 4 iron, basically  has 3 iron loft. Stupid easy to hit and long.

• Like 3

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW Modus 115 S

RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour slant neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV or TaylorMade TP5X

I play a Honma TW-X 3 iron as a "driving iron. Easiest to hit 3 iron I've ever tried.

Srixon ZX5 LS MK II 9.5° - Attas 11 70S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 7 wood)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

And do you think they perform similarly to a "made for purpose" driving iron?

6 hours ago, jjinsa said:

I have ping s56 irons - love them.  The 3 and 2 iron I have, are a bit scary looking - the 2 iron particularly terrifying.   

Would a 3 iron from a set like, Srixon ZX5 (or 545, 565 etc), or a wilson d9 forged, or something along those lines, be hotter and more forgiving than my S56 3 iron?  And would it be somewhere in-between my s56 3 iron and a true driving iron/utility iron?   I don't like "hybrid" style driving irons, I like traditional feeling and sounding irons.   I also want to be able to flight it down as much as I can.

This is all assuming lofts are the same (so maybe a 4 iron in some would be like the s56 3 iron, which is quite weak lofted in today's terms)

Going back decades ago countless golfers used a Ping Eye 1 iron as a driving iron while playing blades.

• Like 3

On 6/13/2024 at 3:45 AM, jjinsa said:

In case you're unaware, the Ping S56 3i is the same loft as my new T100 3i, 21'.   S56 2i is 18.5' and 4i is 1' stronger than my 4i.

ZX5 3i is 20', 1' stronger than my 3i.  Not enough to make it hotter, but that may depend on the shaft.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Fujikura Pro 95i Tour S
  • T100 (2023) 3i & 4i MMT 95S, T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SM10 F46.10, MCI Wedge 105 Mild
  • F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or new AVX

I use an LL flex 22*  Mavrik Max ladies 4 iron as s driving iron off the tee or fairway.

If there are no hazards in the way I've driven off the tee and then used the long roll of the 4iron for short Par 4 GIRs! Then two putted for Par 4.  No birdies.

I cut it down an inch and the Swing Weight works for me with no lead tape.

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 6:45 AM, jjinsa said:

Zalatoris uses a T300, or at least did in the past.  ZX4 as mentioned or driving iron would work too, as already mentioned.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, 9 deg; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

pan widge

Yep, been using GI irons as driving irons.  Low loft and thin faces like you'd get with driving or utility irons, and you can find them for less $.  Just watch for the offset, or lack of, if that's important for you.  Currently using a Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4 iron (strong 4i at 19°) that's everything I wanted off the tee and still good off the deck.  Had a Srixon Z545 3i, a Cobra F9, others, and just used player CB long irons before, but the current HMP is probably my best. 

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 4W TEE CBX 119, OG HZ Black 75 6.5 S4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, HZ Black RDX 90 6.5 S5I Cobra F9, CTLX S6I Wilson D9F 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, LAB DF3, Axis1 Rose. WITB Link

17 hours ago, ShortGolfer said:

I use an LL flex 22*  Mavrik Max ladies 4 iron as s driving iron off the tee or fairway.

If there are no hazards in the way I've driven off the tee and then used the long roll of the 4iron for short Par 4 GIRs! Then two putted for Par 4.  No birdies.

I cut it down an inch and the Swing Weight works for me with no lead tape.

Let's get the putting thing figured out....

You should accidentally roll one in during a round minimum.

in reality - what is the practical difference between the "driving iron" and the equivalent "players distance long iron" besides offset? They often seem similarly constructed (thin face, hollow, some with foam, etc..) Is it which shafts they're designed to take? 

What, for example, would the expected difference really be between the Apex Pro and Apex UT 3 irons? Or the PUDI and P790 3 iron? 

Titleist GT3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist GT2 3W/5W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex UT 20* DG 120 X100 - TBD shaft change

Callaway Apex Pro 4, CB 5-10 DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54S/60S DG S300

TaylorMade Spider X

When ordering my ZX5/ZX7 combo set, I decided purely on a lark to completely depart from my norm and also ordered a ZX4 4 iron with a KBS Tour Lite 100 S shaft.  

It was simply an experiment and I was guessing that I'd probably sell it within a few rounds.  

Completely, and I do mean COMPLETELY, to my surprise, it is a wonderfully forgiving head & shaft combination.  

Nearly every ZX4 4 iron shot has effortlessly launched high, very straight, and long, usually with a slight draw.  

But then, the entire ZX combo set was a departure from my Mizuno or Miura norms as is the LAB Z03 putter from my beloved Scotty blade.   Golf tech has truly advanced far more than I thought possible.  

Staying open to change, even big change, might be the lesson in this golf era.  

Spoiler

Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 44.5" D3

Ai Smoke Ti 340 Mini 13.5 Denali Blue R

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4 KBS Tour Lite 100 S, Srixon ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, WW 56 V & 60 V

L.A.B. ZF3 35" 69* w/2* Pistol Grip

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Alt bag: Miura 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64.   Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

3 hours ago, joostin said:

Yep, been using GI irons as driving irons.  Low loft and thin faces like you'd get with driving or utility irons, and you can find them for less $.  Just watch for the offset, or lack of, if that's important for you.  Currently using a Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4 iron (strong 4i at 19°) that's everything I wanted off the tee and still good off the deck.  Had a Srixon Z545 3i, a Cobra F9, others, and just used player CB long irons before, but the current HMP is probably my best. 

I ordered a Hot metal 4 iron at 2° weak to try to bridge the gap between my set 5 iron and my 5 wood. The nice thing is these are so much cheaper than utility irons. Mine was $137 and free customization.

Something that goes 220-230 would be ideal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

Let's get the putting thing figured out....

You should accidentally roll one in during a round minimum.

I know I can putt but have too many other things to do right now.

I went to the New England Rose show and came away with four trophies.  I put eight roses on the trophy table, as two were collections of three.

1/3 of the roses I entered were on the trophy table. 😀

The Cyprian Keyes 9 hole course was only 2 miles away, so I played golf during judging of the roses.

Rolled a nice ten foot putt.  Got the line and speed exactly right. 😀

A group shot of the roses I brought to the Show.Group0367.JPG.c2a605d17839757ae2a8f872b4dc9172.JPG

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, mxskier said:

in reality - what is the practical difference between the "driving iron" and the equivalent "players distance long iron" besides offset? They often seem similarly constructed (thin face, hollow, some with foam, etc..) Is it which shafts they're designed to take? 

I've never hit  an actual "driving iron". I think the biggest difference is just that they are a little chunkier, but that depends on the iron you are using. In some cases, the driving iron can be quite a bit more forgiving.

The TW-X I play is almost exactly the same as the TW-U. But the TW-X irons were based on the TW-U design.

Srixon ZX5 LS MK II 9.5° - Attas 11 70S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 7 wood)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

After having owned the ZX utility and mk ii ZX utility, I much prefer my ZX5 3i. It seems to launch lower, sounds/feels much better than the hollow construction driving irons, and is just as forgiving. I bent mine 2 degrees strong (18*) and kept the steel shaft. I cant comment/compare regarding your ping irons but the zx5 3i is definitely worth trying out if you can. 

Driver: Srixon ZX5 LS 8.5 - Hzrdus Black Gen 4

3 Wood: Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White 75

Irons: Srixon ZX5 (3-P) - Modus 115

Wedges: Cleveland CBX Zipcore - Modus Wedge

Putter: 2024 Scotty Phantom 9.5

Echoing the MKii ZX4 points mentioned here before, im sure that would be point and shoot. I also have moved away from the traditional driving irons to opt for a mizuno MP 20 HMB with a graphite shaft. The new 245/225 might be worth a look, maintains sound and feel of a normal iron while not losing much if any in forgiveness. 

For me most of the forgiveness/unforgiving side of the utility irons came from the setup. Depending on blade length/size, the ones that I hit more off center were mainly due to poor set up thinking I had the ball centered up in the sweet spot when it really wasn't. Thats where the traditional looking ones helped.

On 6/15/2024 at 11:45 AM, mxskier said:

What, for example, would the expected difference really be between the Apex Pro and Apex UT 3 irons? Or the PUDI and P790 3 iron? 

I game the u510 from Titleist.  I had a u505 3 iron too, but sold it.  the 510 is a longer blade and has more junk in the trunk vs a players distance iron, and is more forgiving.  The 3 iron was more similar to the players distance iron, but still a little thicker.  I can't speak for any other brands.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, 9 deg; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

pan widge

On 6/13/2024 at 6:52 AM, jjinsa said:

And do you think they perform similarly to a "made for purpose" driving iron?

On 6/15/2024 at 5:42 AM, joostin said:

Yep, been using GI irons as driving irons.  Low loft and thin faces like you'd get with driving or utility irons, and you can find them for less $.  Just watch for the offset, or lack of, if that's important for you.

I've done a ton of experimentation here too, and generally I look at the differences like this (with a few exceptions of course):

SGI long irons:
- More offset and often "clunkier"
- Deeper CG
- Fewer customizability options due to usually being cast (bending is a pain) and body design (non-hollow irons have no hotmelt option)
- Stronger lofted

Dedication driving irons:
- More "slim" options
- More CG options (deep vs forward)
- More customizability (forged bodies, hotmelt ports, adjustable hosels)
- Wider loft variety

Now there are dedicated driving irons that have all the qualities listed under the SGI category, but the inverse is very rare. Players distance iron designs like the P790/ZX4/ZX5/T200 often have elements of both while SGI long irons generally need to blend with their respective sets, so they tend to fall into a similar chunky, high offset, thick topline sorts of designs.

A lot of it is personal preference as performance will be similar between them. I'll always lean towards designs that can be hotmelted for sound/fee/swingweight reasons. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

11 hours ago, Valtiel said:

I've done a ton of experimentation here too, and generally I look at the differences like this (with a few exceptions of course):

SGI long irons:
- Deeper CG
- Fewer customizability options due to usually being cast (bending is a pain) and body design (non-hollow irons have no hotmelt option)
- Stronger lofted

- More "slim" options
- Wider loft variety

Now there are dedicated driving irons that have all the qualities listed under the SGI category, but the inverse is very rare. Players distance iron designs like the P790/ZX4/ZX5/T200 often have elements of both while SGI long irons generally need to blend with their respective sets, so they tend to fall into a similar chunky, high offset, thick topline sorts of designs.

A lot of it is personal preference as performance will be similar between them. I'll always lean towards designs that can be hotmelted for sound/fee/swingweight reasons. 

As much as I want to deny "needing" a real DI 🙈, you're absolutely right with the pros and cons.

Other cons of the GI/SGI are that the lie and head weight may be not right for the length you want.

A few things swayed me to the JPX 921 HMP:

- Cheap experiment

- Liked the look

- Liked the tech

- Liked the minimal offset vs other GI irons

- Has MPF numbers, and I liked the numbers... Take with a grain of salt because they just measure a 6 iron, but usually we won't find any MPF data for DI models.  Decently high MOI.  CG not low (would rather have lower flight off the tee and don't need the launch help).  And most of all.... the CG is very close to the face (BVCOG almost = AVCOG).  Per my gear effect thread that means keeping gear spin down on mishits as you know!  If I hook one that’s on me because of face & path, but it won't be because of excessive gear effect spin.

Screenshot_20240619-174153_Drive.jpg.870dca0bda12d159665e15174974403d.jpg

I lucked out on the head weight and lie being fine with the shaft and length I built it with.  The only real downside is that it's not as nice sounding as my irons, but I can live with that (for now 🙂).

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 4W TEE CBX 119, OG HZ Black 75 6.5 S4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, HZ Black RDX 90 6.5 S5I Cobra F9, CTLX S6I Wilson D9F 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, LAB DF3, Axis1 Rose. WITB Link

I've used a JPX921 HMP 4 iron since it came out. It's fitted with a KBS C-Taper 130X shaft and is very accurate and easy to hit. 

I've taken it one further this year and also added a Mizuno Pro 225 2 iron as well. It was half price and turned out to be well worth it. It is 16.5° whilst the HMP is 19°.

Both are super easy to hit even off the deck. Highly recommend. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Valtiel said:

SGI long irons:
- Deeper CG
- Stronger lofted

- More "slim" options
- Wider loft variety

Thanks!  I wouldn't look at a Super game improvement.  I currently have Ping S56, and the 2 and 3 iron are Super slim and scary looking.  So would look at something like a P790, Forged tec, kind of hollow players distance like you did mention... even a zx5 (or older model).  Would these 3 irons, perform better in terms of higher flight and distance, than my s56 3 iron.  and be more forgiving?

I do this - when I struggle with the driver (which is most of the time), or when the situation calls for it, I use a Callaway Rogue Pro 3-iron off the tee.

It's mainly psychological I think, I've tried driving irons in the past, but looking down on one makes something happen in my head where I feel like I need to put a "tee shot swing" on it.

With a standard 3i, it encourages me to just do my regular ol' reliable iron swing.

• Cobra Radspeed @10.5 degrees - Atmos Black Tour Spec
  • Cobra SpeedZone 3-wood @ 13.5 degrees - Tensei AV Blue 65
  • Callaway Rogue Pro 3i - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 4-pw Mizuno MP-25 MMC - Dynamic Gold S300
  • 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM8 - Std wedge flex
  • Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide
  • Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X

24 minutes ago, jjinsa said:

Thanks!  I wouldn't look at a Super game improvement.  I currently have Ping S56, and the 2 and 3 iron are Super slim and scary looking.  So would look at something like a P790, Forged tec, kind of hollow players distance like you did mention... even a zx5 (or older model).  Would these 3 irons, perform better in terms of higher flight and distance, than my s56 3 iron.  and be more forgiving?

From a performance standpoint yes, you will see higher ball speeds and likely higher (how much will vary) trajectory with modern hollow utility irons. Forgiveness will be higher in terms of ballspeed retention as well. Picking the right one to match your preferences is key. 

Personally I would start by establishing what your upper limit for size is as it relates to address look. The S56 are definitely small and shorter heel to toe than some player's irons, so putting down something like a P790 to start with is a good benchmark. The current Srixon ZX4/5 is a good one to look at here too, but honestly i'd look at all of them. If those feel right size wise then check something like a Srixon ZX Utility to see if that's too big or not. You may find you like the bigger size in the 2i iron and a more compact club in the 3i, or you might want them consistent.

How you set them up will matter a lot as well, with a graphite shaft in the longer of the two and a steel shaft matching your iron set being a common starting point. IMO there is a lot of overlap between modern utility 2 and 3 irons, you'll rarely see someone bagging and both in a P790 for example. You'll more often see a 3i and 4i in play in a P790/P770 kind of configuration, and if a 2i is in play then often a strong 4i will be the next one down. You've got a pretty unique bag setup though so this will be personal preference. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant