2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Bag makeup

So, I've been back playing for about 18 months and finally understanding how to really use my clubs - just took 20 years and finally getting lessons.

My setup to this point has been Driver, 3W, 3H and then 4 - PW and 50/54/60 wedges. And for reference, my Driver goes about 245/250 with roll out on average.

I'd like compose my bag a bit differently. I'm not consistent with my Long Irons right now and so am looking at the top of the bag. 

Was thinking of going with - Driver, 3W, Heavenwood and 4H and dropping my 4Iron and replacing my 3H.

My question is, is that the proper setup? And if I drop the 5Iron, should i also look to add a 9 Wood or 5H? 

I'm playing from the Whites, so I'm just never finding myself using the 4/5 Iron and when I do use them, I'm not as confident standing over them as I am with my 6 Iron. 

Thanks all in advance.

I don't think there really is a proper setup, only the best set up that works for you.   It sounds like we are similar, in that I too lose confidence in any iron longer than a 6 iron.  The top of my bag goes Driver, 5W (turned down to play more like a 4W), 3H, 4H, and 5H.  I do this because I have always like hybrids.  If you are not a fan of hybrid, then 5W, 7W, and 9W are great options.  My personal thought is a 5H is the better replacement for the 5 iron.  I think the 9W in stock configuration will go a little too far.  Your plan of Driver, 3W, Heavenwood and 4H seems like a good starting point.  You can always add a 5H later.  Hold on to your 3H, that way if you don't like the gap between the 4H and 5H you can move swap the 4H and 3H to see if that works out better.  Good luck.

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

bag set up is so player and course specific its nearly impossible to say. There is nothing that is "proper". I'd say you don't need multiple clubs going the same distances. Similar distance player as you, and I've found a 3 wood 15* and hybrids of 20* or less to be useless for me. I don't carry them any farther than a 5 wood and 23 hybrid. I come from a place of less is more. I have a driver, 5 wood, 4 hybrid then 6 iron. I play clubs I know i can hit, and I'm not flag hunting over 6 iron anyways. From the fairway or tee shot on a par 4 if laying back  I'm almost always hitting 5 wood. From the rough, bunkers, or  185-200 im hitting hybrid. Works for me, but I am a complete moron.  

• Like 1

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I echo that it's pretty player and course specific but I notice you're using a full 14-club setup.  YMMV but have you had any luck managing the gaps by dialing up/back your swing a bit on the clubs you know you strike well?  Doesn't work for everyone but after lots of time and $$$ tinkering to find the perfect 14-club lineup, I finally dropped 2 clubs and now only have a bag full of clubs that I have high confidence in ball-striking with.  The other clubs are "on the bench" right now unless course/conditions warrant bringing any of them out into the bag. It's been kind of liberating, LOL.

• Like 1

Woods: TM 300 Mini Driver 11.5, TM Aeroburner 3W HL 16.5

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue ST Max 4H  and TM M6 5H

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 5i-PW, AW

Wedges: TM Milled Grind 52, 58; TM Hi Toe 54

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 5

Ball: Callaway ERC Soft
Bag: Jones Trouper R or Jones Rover Carry

It's all in what works for you.  My distances sound about the same.  I carry D, 3W, HW, and then depending on the course I'm playing and the wind conditions I'll carry either a 9W or a 4i.  I carry  the 9W when I either have a lot of 170-180 yard forced carries or can hit the ball higher with no wind penalty.  I carry the 4i when hitting a really high shot in the wind isn't doable and just play around any forced carries of that distance I may face (go up to the HW on those).

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

4 hours ago, phitaumatthew said:

So, I've been back playing for about 18 months and finally understanding how to really use my clubs - just took 20 years and finally getting lessons.

My setup to this point has been Driver, 3W, 3H and then 4 - PW and 50/54/60 wedges. And for reference, my Driver goes about 245/250 with roll out on average.

I'd like compose my bag a bit differently. I'm not consistent with my Long Irons right now and so am looking at the top of the bag. 

Was thinking of going with - Driver, 3W, Heavenwood and 4H and dropping my 4Iron and replacing my 3H.

My question is, is that the proper setup? And if I drop the 5Iron, should i also look to add a 9 Wood or 5H? 

I'm playing from the Whites, so I'm just never finding myself using the 4/5 Iron and when I do use them, I'm not as confident standing over them as I am with my 6 Iron. 

Thanks all in advance.

Once you remove your long irons, it's unlikely you'll go back; and if you do, you'll need to hit the range hard.  None of the clubs you mention are good for hitting LOW trajectory shots from the rough.  Can't say what your thinking is a proper setup either as everyone is different. What you add in place of 4/5i is totally up to you.  Good luck.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Fujikura Pro 95i Tour S
  • T100 (2023) 3i & 4i MMT 95S, T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SM10 F46.10, MCI Wedge 105 Mild
  • F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or new AVX

It largely depends on what you're looking for and personal taste. I have a quirky top of bag setup and have similar distances to you. I have 2 drivers, a 17° hy-wood, 5 wood turned up to 20° so it's more like a 6 wood into a 5 hybrid then irons.

I'm still kinda trying to figure out gapping for that end of the bag as both the hy-wood and 5 wood are new this year and sometimes there's overlap. Like you, I rarely pull the 4th and 5th clubs unless I'm manufacturing opportunities to use them, which would usually be off the tee. Luckily I've hit enough good shots to trust them at least. 

In regards to 5h vs 9 wood, the wood should launch higher which should make it more susceptible to wind. I've found on windy days my 5 wood can be eaten up by headwinds in particular. 

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

3w distance? 3h distance? 6i distance? Hard to give thoughts without knowing your distance gap from 3h to 6i. If you don't like your 3h, maybe a 5w or go 3w&7w. Just drop the 4&5i from the bag and play. You might find you can score with only 12 clubs.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR (adapter at +1.5°)

Ping G 5 & 6H, Alta CB R

Cleveland Launcher XL 7-DW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel/Callaway Supersoft

6 hours ago, phitaumatthew said:

Thanks all in advance.

Driver 3W, Heavenwood, 5hybrid as a replacement for your 4iron, and 6hybrid as replacement for 5iron probably makes more sense; a 4hybrid and a heavenwood will likely travel very similar distance since they will likely be lofted within 1-2* of each other. Hybrids obviously go further than irons at equal lofts, and most modern hybrids are about 1 club strong nowadays (ie a modern 5hybrid will generally be about 24*, which used to be a 4hybrid back in the day)

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay here. Was travelling for work and so just was able to get back to this. 

Thank you ALL for the comments. And appreciate all the insight. The idea of the 12 Club bag makeup is great and really is making me rethink this.

To answer some of the questions....

@RSLP I'm 42. I need to figure out which I hit better. I almost never take my 3W out except off the tee, so hard to answer. My gut is I'm going to hit woods better as when I practice with my Hybrids off mats, it's very inconsistent. And my clubs are standard length minus 1 inch.

@Milfordlefty I hit my 6 around 175 yards right now. And my 3H around 200 and by 3Wood around 215.

@mjo23 great call here and something to think about.

@HoosierHacker89I too am a Moron (hilarious, made me LOL).  The idea of playing clubs I know I can hit is a great one. So I guess I'll just be testing out some comobo of Heavenwood and maybe another wood or Hybrid. And maybe keeping a hybrid in my bag for windy days so I can get that lower trajectory. Not a ton of high wind days here in SoCal, but certainly courses (f****** Moorpark country club for one) where that certainly becomes an issue.

@Roejyesame as above. Great call on wind situations. May help to make my bad a 12 bag club but with 14 clubs so I change it up based on wind condition and / or tee stuff lower off the box with my woods when I need to play up on a Par 4.

Know I didn't hit everyone, but lots of great call outs here. I think I'll look at doing a 12 club bag with some options for the other 2 clubs to see where I land at to change for wind or course conditions.

Love the WRX forums So helpful and nice.

@phitaumatthew 

USGA one day events would have you at 6300-6500 for your age group.   And the USGA recommends 250 yard drives for that distance.  Your next club after the driver should be about 225 or so, the more + yards the better.  Take your gaps back from there.  Obviously your actual longest fairway club you get into the air consistently, and use that to gap back to your PW/GW.   Driver+SW+Putter = your first 3 clubs, so you have 11 to cover.

Playing from whites and hitting 6i 175 yards and driver 240-250, I can see why you don't hit your 4/5 very often. So on a 400 yard par 4, your hitting driver/7i to green? When you say white tees, want is total distance for the courses? so driver, 3w, 4h, then 6i up thru your existing wedges seems doable.

Ping G 5 & 6H, Alta CB R

@MilfordleftyI play around 6300-6500 yards. Just to be honest, I'm still a 33 Handicap (Down from 50 when I started 18 months ago). I figured when I got down to a 18 Handicap I'd move back to the Blues. Gives me something to earn and I hate playing with people who are not great and playing from the Blues and Tips.

I'm inconsistent to say the least. But occasionally will put together some very decent rounds, but still haven't broken 100. Though am now consistently shooting around 100-103.

I went to Roger Dunne yesterday and tested a bunch of Hybrids and Woods. Found a great 5H from Calloway that I was hitting around 185 so that feels like a good in between and then maybe another wood to cover that gap between the Hybrid and the 3W is what I'm looking at.

I just got new irons and only got 6-PW. I didn't hit my 4 and 5 well or confident enough to grab it over my 5 wood and 4H so I accepted my game and skipped them. I went from shooting low 100s to low 90s by not wasting strokes on those irons. Maybe I get better and go back to a full iron set, but for now, I'm happy with where my game is without them. 

On 6/28/2024 at 10:37 AM, phitaumatthew said:

@MilfordleftyI play around 6300-6500 yards. Just to be honest, I'm still a 33 Handicap (Down from 50 when I started 18 months ago). I figured when I got down to a 18 Handicap I'd move back to the Blues. Gives me something to earn and I hate playing with people who are not great and playing from the Blues and Tips.

I'm inconsistent to say the least. But occasionally will put together some very decent rounds, but still haven't broken 100. Though am now consistently shooting around 100-103.

I went to Roger Dunne yesterday and tested a bunch of Hybrids and Woods. Found a great 5H from Calloway that I was hitting around 185 so that feels like a good in between and then maybe another wood to cover that gap between the Hybrid and the 3W is what I'm looking at.

Keep piecing clubs together based on distances, which will help with consistency. I am guessing your extra shots over par are coming from wedges/putter, so practice the short game more than distance clubs, good luck with your golf game and enjoy.

Ping G 5 & 6H, Alta CB R

On 6/29/2024 at 9:25 AM, phitaumatthew said:

@velTotally wht I'm thinking. Just hit the clubs that make sense. It's like not playing from the Blues or Tips until you're ready. Play the game that makes you better, not force the game that you think makes you look like a pro or cool.

Yep. I found myself grabbing the same clubs and knew my distances confidently with them. The point is to have fun! Do it your way and kick your friend's butts in the process! 

At your current handicap: just one club that you can hit 200ish off the deck is all you need at the top end. 

7 wood is probably the longest you need right now. Eventually a 5 wood. 
5 & 6 hybrid could work for you. 

175 6 iron is pretty good distance for your handicap. Driver distance is fine too. Length is definitely not what’s holding you back right. 

If you can keep it in play off the tee, get near the green on your approach, chip on, and two putt.. you’d be shooting 90. 

Driver 9* Mavrik Max Evenflow Riptide 50 Stiff

3 wood 14.5* & 7 wood 21* Cobra F7 Kuro Kage Silver 80 x-stiff

4 King Utility ONE Elevate 95 Stiff

5 & 6 Hybrid SG S300
7-9: TEE C721 Elevate 95 Stiff

44* & 48* CBX Zipcore DG Spinner 115

54/12*, 58/8* ES21 KBS Hi-rev 2.0 115

Ping B60