Maltby Playability Factor & VCOG

Curious about the Maltby rating as I am looking for irons right now.

Currently playing Titleist 2021 T100’s and having an issue with everything FEELING like it’s thin and not being able to get into the turf like I could with my old mizuno blades.
I play on really firm conditions. 

I’ve learned on here that the lower the VCOG (Vertical Center of gravity) the higher launching and spinning it will be. 
How does this work? 
If the middle of the ball is .840”, and you contact the ball on the face above the vertical center of gravity - my brain assumes it would come out with less spin and less launch. 

I am looking for a players iron with the lowest VCOG to help me with some spin and launch. Also need a sharp leading edge and small sole (shallow player who struggles with soft or pre-worn leading edges) 

Very curious on Mizuno MP-33’s (0.718” VCOG)

& Titleist 695 CB’s (0.650” VCOG) & MB’s (0.728” VCOG)

Thanks for your help as always,

-MFJones

If you are not adverse to Maltby, the TE irons, and black cousins, have super low CG's, and low bounce.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

2 hours ago, MofoJones said:

Currently playing Titleist 2021 T100’s and having an issue with everything FEELING like it’s thin and not being able to get into the turf like I could with my old mizuno blades.

I’ve learned on here that the lower the VCOG (Vertical Center of gravity) the higher launching and spinning it will be. 
How does this work? 
If the middle of the ball is .840”, and you contact the ball on the face above the vertical center of gravity - my brain assumes it would come out with less spin and less launch. 

I am looking for a players iron with the lowest VCOG to help me with some spin and launch. Also need a sharp leading edge and small sole (shallow player who struggles with soft or pre-worn leading edges) 

-MFJones

Irons/wedges don't have a COG that is deep enough to create gear effect.  So a lower Actual Vertical COG will tend to promote more spin and height,... not less spin like a Driver, wood, hybrid will.

The further we drive the AVCOG below the center of the ball with clean contact, the more it will tend to climb (all else equal). 

So for a sweeper/picker, it's important to get all the help you can with an iron design that won't require as much 'down' in order to create pure solid contact.

The iron designs you mentioned there are good options for a low AVCOG and low effective bounce, but they won't be very friendly across the face on the toe side of center.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

Irons/wedges don't have a COG that is deep enough to create gear effect.  So a lower Actual Vertical COG will tend to promote more spin and height,... not less spin like a Driver, wood, hybrid will.

The further we drive the AVCOG below the center of the ball with clean contact, the more it will tend to climb (all else equal). 

So for a sweeper/picker, it's important to get all the help you can with an iron design that won't require as much 'down' in order to create pure solid contact.

The iron designs you mentioned there are good options for a low AVCOG and low effective bounce, but they won't be very friendly across the face on the toe side of center.

Thanks for the response Cwebb, I see your name a bunch on here and greatly appreciate your valuable insight. 

The C-DIM’s of these models above will be smaller distances away from the hosel - meaning the HCOG (Horizontal Center of gravity) is heel side. So the center of the club face would be quite a bit different from the actual HCOG which even visually would be difficult to grasp trying to attempt to hit the sweet spot heel center 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MofoJones said:

Very curious on these! 

Any idea on how they feel? 

They both feel really solid.  The black "DBM" version has a slightly firmer feel, because the finish is designed to be more durable.

A great choice in an easy to hit "players cavity", especially for a sweeper/picker.  Compared to some of the blades like you listed, they have kind of a "mid sized" look, because of the extra blade length.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MofoJones said:

How does this work? 

3 hours ago, Cwebb said:

Based on @joostin's breakdown here, the gear effect impact actually depends on RCOG and mostly impacts spin on higher/lower strikes. Whether or not that is relevant to the OP's concerns here, it's a good read!

The T100 is decently low CG so if you wanted to go lower your options are limited. The new T200's are definitely a tick lower so they'd be worth demoing, as are the newest P790 which is even a tick below THAT. Easily one of the lower CG irons out there right now. 

Aside from those you'll likely have to look at older designs since super low CG hasn't been en vogue for awhile now. Just to confirm this as a variable though @MofoJones, which MIzuno blades did you game previously?

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

5 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Based on @joostin's breakdown here, the gear effect impact actually depends on RCOG and mostly impacts spin on higher/lower strikes. Whether or not that is relevant to the OP's concerns here, it's a good read!

The T100 is decently low CG so if you wanted to go lower your options are limited. The new T200's are definitely a tick lower so they'd be worth demoing, as are the newest P790 which is even a tick below THAT. Easily one of the lower CG irons out there right now. 

Aside from those you'll likely have to look at older designs since super low CG hasn't been en vogue for awhile now. Just to confirm this as a variable though @MofoJones, which MIzuno blades did you game previously?

I used to use the Mizuno MP-58. 

The club needs to have a sharp leading edge (nothing dull or pre-worn) and low bounce. I'm a +4 cap with quite a bit of shaft lean at impact and my 6i ball speed is around 130mph. Peak height is decent - usually around 110-115ft but spinning it around 4700 INDOORS. (I know, I know - I need to get see what I am actually getting outdoors off turf. I plan on doing that this week sometime with a GC3).
Like I mentioned above, I play on firm conditions and really have been struggling as a shallow player to get into the turf. I get the sensation of everything being slightly thin. The T100 is amazing on low strikes though, so I get away with murder.

I would say a list of importance for me is the following:
1) Sharp leading edge &  Low Bounce
2) VCOG below .800 FORSURE
3) Forged Players club with decent looks

4 minutes ago, MofoJones said:

The club needs to have a sharp leading edge (nothing dull or pre-worn) and low bounce. I'm a +4 cap with quite a bit of shaft lean at impact and my 6i ball speed is around 130mph. Peak height is decent - usually around 110-115ft but spinning it around 4700 INDOORS. (I know, I know - I need to get see what I am actually getting outdoors off turf. I plan on doing that this week sometime with a GC3).
Like I mentioned above, I play on firm conditions and really have been struggling as a shallow player to get into the turf. I get the sensation of everything being slightly thin. The T100 is amazing on low strikes though, so I get away with murder.

Ah gotcha, as a +4 there ain't nothin' anyone needs to tell you about ball striking, lol. Sounds like turf interaction and how close the leading edge sits to the ground is the main issue here. Morikawa had a similar problem one year around the US Open I think it was when he was changing iron sole grinds for the firmer conditions. 

Interestingly though i'm not seeing a huge difference between the MP58 and 2021 T100 here. VCOGs are actually very simillar and the 21' T100 actually did away with the pre-worn leading edge that the previous T100 had. Maybe more camber on the sole? Either way i'd take your MP58 with you to just eyeball some clubs to look for similar width, leading edge height, and camber. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

4 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Ah gotcha, as a +4 there ain't nothin' anyone needs to tell you about ball striking, lol. Sounds like turf interaction and how close the leading edge sits to the ground is the main issue here. Morikawa had a similar problem one year around the US Open I think it was when he was changing iron sole grinds for the firmer conditions. 

Interestingly though i'm not seeing a huge difference between the MP58 and 2021 T100 here. VCOGs are actually very simillar and the 21' T100 actually did away with the pre-worn leading edge that the previous T100 had. Maybe more camber on the sole? Either way i'd take your MP58 with you to just eyeball some clubs to look for similar width, leading edge height, and camber. 

I’ve figured out a really consistent move that produces the same little push draw every time and it’s been insanely repeatable. 

Only issue is that on the GCHAWK, its descent angle, peak height and spin are less than ideal - specifically with mid to long irons. 
I haven’t played outside yet to see what it’s like outside vs indoors. Tonight will be the test. 

I have a MOI match setup currently with 3/8” progression in lengths and wondering if that is a culprit - just not having as much swing speed. 
I have been enjoying the MOI match from P-6i. Just notice the 4 & 5 irons are for sure going quite a bit lower and more bullet like (Which I HATE, seeing as I want to be able to hit it high and soft from (200-225).
Maybe I’ll need to look for some help in those irons to get some added ballspeed and launch. Still need something with low bounce, small sole and a sharp leading edge. 

Sorry this was rambly

16 hours ago, MofoJones said:

How does this work? 

-MFJones

you need low bounce narrow sole irons...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X  44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

PROV1

4 hours ago, MofoJones said:

2018 cally MB's no idea on VCOG but let me know as I need the exact set up for myself. The cobra CB's maybe as well or the Titleist blades. Nowadays going to be tuff to get what you are looking for as I have been looking myself.

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

PROV1

The low VCOG is going to be the tricky part. 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

PROV1

2 minutes ago, Wardonation said:

2018 cally MB's no idea on VCOG but let me know as I need the exact set up for myself. The cobra CB's maybe as well or the Titleist blades. Nowadays going to be tuff to get what you are looking for as I have been looking myself.

I also love the look of Callaways and their sole design - their VCOG is .832” which is insanely high (BAD). 

I’m looking for basically anything with my leading edge, sole characteristics, players shape and performance, with a VCOG that is DEFINITELY below .800”. 

More ideally, like 0.780” and below.

I’m strongly considering the Maltby TE, even though their bag sex appeal is zero. But f*** it if they work 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MofoJones said:

I also love the look of Callaways and their sole design - their VCOG is .832” which is insanely high (BAD). 

I’m looking for basically anything with my leading edge, sole characteristics, players shape and performance, with a VCOG that is DEFINITELY below .800”. 

I’m strongly considering the Maltby TE, even though their bag sex appeal is zero. But f*** it if they work 

TS4s would fit you pretty well. Low bounce and excellent in firm turf. VCOG is ~0.76".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MofoJones said:

You know I have been looking a little bit at the low bounce "Forward Irons". They might be perfect I bet the dude who owns the company might know what their VCOG is on them. THey are really clean looking... I will reach out to that dude and see if I can find out. Maybe he will give us a two for one deal lol...

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

PROV1

I just asked Ian Fraser from CC. He said tuff one and will back to me.

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

PROV1

1 hour ago, MofoJones said:

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with the look in hand.  Much better in person compared to the online pics.   The dark DBM version is also very good looking in hand.  Looks like "gun metal"

23 hours ago, MofoJones said:

How does this work? 

-MFJones

The prior gen Maltby TE, still being sold but probably only until they run out, have an old school leading edge.  Fairly sharp imo.

• Like 1

M4 Driver
5, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

13 hours ago, Valtiel said:

LOL thanks for the +4 nod too ; )

9 hours ago, Wardonation said:

You know I have been looking a little bit at the low bounce "Forward Irons". They might be perfect I bet the dude who owns the company might know what their VCOG is on them. THey are really clean looking... I will reach out to that dude and see if I can find out. Maybe he will give us a two for one deal lol...

Somehow missed this reply too, my apologies! I will check 'em out!

8 hours ago, Cwebb said:

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with the look in hand.  Much better in person compared to the online pics.   The dark DBM version is also very good looking in hand.  Looks like "gun metal"

Only thing I'm worried about is the thicker sole width in them. The low bounce, sharper leading edges and low VCOG are all moves in the right direction.

I don't have a bunch of money kicking around and its tournament season literally a couple weeks away. But I also don't think I would have much of an issue transitioning into them. So I need to buy them right away lol 😅

1 hour ago, MofoJones said:

Only thing I'm worried about is the thicker sole width in them. The low bounce, sharper leading edges and low VCOG are all moves in the right direction.

I don't have a bunch of money kicking around and its tournament season literally a couple weeks away. But I also don't think I would have much of an issue transitioning into them. So I need to buy them right away lol 😅

One common issue, is that some players have assumed that one form or another of higher effective bounce was the issue,... whether it be leading edge grind, sole width, or just bounce angle itself.....when it turns out the real issue was an Actual Vertical COG (sweet-spot) that was too high.

Keep in mind that a higher AVCOG requires more 'down' to hit them solidly.   When forced to do that on firm turf, it will enhance the bouncing of the sole off the ground.  Getting into an iron that doesn't require as much 'down' will then enable a capable ball striker to more cleanly pick or brush the ball off the firm turf and still produce solid contact.  This is a real advantage.

I'll be really curious to hear what your review of these are, if you decide to get them.

One extra thing I always suggest, is to have the Golfworks measure and adjust your lofts and lies to exactly where you want them.  So as to avoid the manufacturing tolerance that is always there with every company

Edited by Cwebb
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

One common issue, is that some players have assumed that one form or another of higher effective bounce was the issue,... whether it be leading edge grind, sole width, or just bounce angle itself.....when it turns out the real issue was an Actual Vertical COG (sweet-spot) that was too high.

Keep in mind that a higher AVCOG requires more 'down' to hit them solidly.   When forced to do that on firm turf, it will enhance the bouncing of the sole off the ground.  Getting into an iron that doesn't require as much 'down' will then enable a capable ball striker to more cleanly pick or brush the ball off the firm turf and still produce solid contact.  This is a real advantage.

I'll be really curious to hear what your review of these are, if you decide to get them.

One extra thing I always suggest, is to have the Golfworks measure and adjust your lofts and lies to exactly where you want them.  So as to avoid the manufacturing tolerance that is always there with every company

Also - Because I have you here as an expert:

I would like to also consider making these an MOI Match set. My first build went well, only issue being not happy with the iron heads themselves and long iron peak height suffering. Long iron play has been an issue for me as I play difficult par 3's that require stopping power and same with second shots into par 5's. I really want to try the AMT White X100's to help address my issues with long iron descent angle/ peak height. 

I have been elbows deep into forums tonight looking at how I can closely (DIY/Quasi) MOI match AMT White x100's (My current build are DG TI x100, so the change would feel comfortable for me). I need get back on track for my long iron game which used to be a weapon for me. Like always, I found some contradicting things on here about MOI matching AMT's.

I have learned/heard that the builds are sneaky close to MOI Flat with SW matched sets with 1/2" progressions. Also I would prefer the heads to have a constant weight progression (using lead tape instead of tip weights).
Any knowledge you can drop for me on here about that?

31 minutes ago, MofoJones said:

Also - Because I have you here as an expert:

I would like to also consider making these an MOI Match set. My first build went well, only issue being not happy with the iron heads themselves and long iron peak height suffering. Long iron play has been an issue for me as I play difficult par 3's that require stopping power and same with second shots into par 5's. I really want to try the AMT White X100's to help address my issues with long iron descent angle/ peak height. 

I have been elbows deep into forums tonight looking at how I can closely (DIY/Quasi) MOI match AMT White x100's (My current build are DG TI x100, so the change would feel comfortable for me). I need get back on track for my long iron game which used to be a weapon for me. Like always, I found some contradicting things on here about MOI matching AMT's.

I have learned/heard that the builds are sneaky close to MOI Flat with SW matched sets with 1/2" progressions. Also I would prefer the heads to have a constant weight progression (using lead tape instead of tip weights).
Any knowledge you can drop for me on here about that?

The most simple way to get close with the AMT DG's, is to just use an actual 7 gram head weight increment per 1/2" length change. 

Obviously the head weights for brand new heads can vary within the +-3 gram manufacturing tolerance.  So in order to get your actual head weights exact, you need to be ready with tip weights or lead tape... and ideally have the ability to drill some weight out of the bottom of the bore, if a head is on the slightly too heavy side....which is more of an issue for over length builds. Depending of course on what club lengths and swing weight you're targeting.

I think you'll really find the Maltby longer irons shine.   The whole set is really solid, but the harder to hit clubs in a longer iron...they are easy to hit and can enable the advantage you're looking for.

Edited by Cwebb

9 hours ago, MofoJones said:

By prior do you mean to avoid the “TE+”? Or are you talking about the DBM finish? 

If you want sharper leading edges, then yes, avoid the new plus model or TE v4 or whatever it’s called, and get the just plain TE or DBM. 

• Thanks 1

M4 Driver
5, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock