Travelers Championship 2024

MattyO1984

Well, how do you follow that? The Travelers Championship over the years developed such a knack for following on from big tournaments that ultimately, it was bestowed with elevated and now signature event status. After the drama of last week, I just cannot see how the TPC River Highlands can come close to matching it but an all but full field will surely give it a go. This time last year home state hero Keegan Bradley did his best to remove any drama on the final day by stretching into a big lead before some back 9 bogeys made his three shot win look a little more respectful to the rest of the field. Keegan will head in on the back of a solid, if not spectacular 2024 season. His two top 10's have both been second place finishes but nothing of else of note means it is hard to predict how the defending champion will fare. What is without doubt is that if he is to defend, he will need to compete against a stellar field. After what, he will hope, was an aberration last week Scottie Scheffler will head in looking for win number 6 of the season and not many in the field will have the game - physically and mentally - to compete with him if he is back to his best. World Number 2, Xander Schauffele has some good history at this event and will look to solidify his spot as the premier player not known as Scottie. Last weeks bridesmaid will not be with us but the rest of the world top 10 who play on the PGA Tour will be in attendance as will Webb Simpson who, by now, must be the most fortunate man on the PGA Tour when it comes to sponsors exemptions. Of all those exemptions into signature events this season, he has had about as much impact on the events as any one of us, sat on her behinds looking at laptops have had and it will be interesting to see if he might finally be able to justify his inclusion...😂

Defending Champion:-

Keegan Bradley

Notables in the Field:-

Scottie Scheffler

Xander Schauffele

Ludvig Aberg

Wyndham Clark

Viktor Hovland

Collin Morikawa

Patrick Cantlay

Brian Harman

Hideki Matsuyama

Sahith Theegala

Sam Burns

Jason Day

Tommy Fleetwood

Max Homa

Bob MacIntyre

Shane Lowry

Jordan Spieth

Justin Thomas

Will Zalatoris

Course:-

TPC River Highalnds

Par 70

6,835 yards

Keegan Bradley survives bumpy finish to win Travelers Championship | Golf |  unionleader.com

Travelers says changes are coming to TPC River Highlands after complaints  about low scores – NBC Connecticut

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 15* Aldila Rogue Black Stiff
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I like how Henley played Sunday in US Open.

Schauffele looked better than Scheffler this last tournament.

Straka sets up well for this one like Henley.

Finau and Harman for top 10s.

Cobra LTDx LS Black 10.5º R - UST Mamiya LinQ M40x White 6F3, (-1")

Cobra Aerojet X 15⁰ R - UST Mamiya LinQ M40x White 6F3

Cobra F9 18.5⁰ R - Evenflow Blue 5.5 65g

Callaway Apex '21 4 Hybrid 21⁰ R - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HB

Callaway Apex '19 5i - AW - R - Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH

Cleveland RTX6 - 54⁰/10, (-1⁰) - Mid - Nippon Pro Modus3 105g, Wedge

Cleveland RTX6 - 58⁰/9 - Mid - Nippon Pro Modus3 105g, Wedge

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 3 - 35", (-1"), (+3g)

You'd think that Webb and Adam would no longer need "sponsor" exemptions at this point.  Having already received so many exemptions into these no cut, or nearly no cut,  guaranteed payday events.  

Imagine two slackers at your job getting all of the special perks and bonuses every quarter because they're cronies with management.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

Well, how do you follow that? The Travelers Championship over the years developed such a knack for following on from big tournaments that ultimately, it was bestowed with elevated and now signature event status. After the drama of last week, I just cannot see how the TPC River Highlands can come close to matching it but an all but full field will surely give it a go. This time last year home state hero Keegan Bradley did his best to remove any drama on the final day by stretching into a big lead before some back 9 bogeys made his three shot win look a little more respectful to the rest of the field. Keegan will head in on the back of a solid, if not spectacular 2024 season. His two top 10's have both been second place finishes but nothing of else of note means it is hard to predict how the defending champion will fare. What is without doubt is that if he is to defend, he will need to compete against a stellar field. After what, he will hope, was an aberration last week Scottie Scheffler will head in looking for win number 6 of the season and not many in the field will have the game - physically and mentally - to compete with him if he is back to his best. World Number 2, Xander Schauffele has some good history at this event and will look to solidify his spot as the premier player not known as Scottie. Last weeks bridesmaid will not be with us but the rest of the world top 10 who play on the PGA Tour will be in attendance as will Webb Simpson who, by now, must be the most fortunate man on the PGA Tour when it comes to sponsors exemptions. Of all those exemptions into signature events this season, he has had about as much impact on the events as any one of us, sat on her behinds looking at laptops have had and it will be interesting to see if he might finally be able to justify his inclusion...😂

Defending Champion:-

Keegan Bradley

Notables in the Field:-

Scottie Scheffler

Xander Schauffele

Ludvig Aberg

Wyndham Clark

Viktor Hovland

Collin Morikawa

Patrick Cantlay

Brian Harman

Hideki Matsuyama

Sahith Theegala

Sam Burns

Jason Day

Tommy Fleetwood

Max Homa

Bob MacIntyre

Shane Lowry

Jordan Spieth

Justin Thomas

Will Zalatoris

Course:-

TPC River Highalnds

Par 70

6,835 yards

Keegan Bradley survives bumpy finish to win Travelers Championship | Golf |  unionleader.com

Travelers says changes are coming to TPC River Highlands after complaints  about low scores – NBC Connecticut

Well done MO....

Point #1 ......It'll be difficult to top last week but they will somehow conduct a miracle with a 6835-yard golf course. Apparently, this course is not obsolete to the PGAT.

Point #2 ..... It will be just fine as long as there are no false front roll offs and no wire plants.

Point #3 ....... Somehow, we'll get through it even though all the big names in golf won't be there.

I kid with sarcasm....should be a great tournament.

Edited by Titleist99
  • Like 1

Course sets up well for Thomas Detry…he has been on fire in 2024

-chris

• Like 3

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

Glad that Webb gets yet another sponsor's invite. Board membership sure has its privileges. 

/s

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° Tour Ad Di 7x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 

Titleist U500 3iron

TaylorMade P7MC 4-Pw Nippon 120 

50° Titleist Vokey SM8

54° Titleist Vokey SM8

60° Titleist Vokey SM8

TaylorMade Spider SR

TP5x /Pro V1

35 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

The tour really needs to think through the construction of the schedule. I think it's pretty shortsighted to have a signature event immediately before or after a major. A few simple reasons...

1. Post Major - The top guys don't want to play the week after a major. Pretty simple. Major weeks are filled w/ excess media demands. More pressure, more focus, more stress. None of these guys want to gear back up for another important event the following week. Give the back half of the tour a chance to rack up some points and money. 

2. Pre Major - Not every top player wants to play the week before a major. Tiger typically didn't. Scheffler said he didn't like. Rory has bounced back and forth and currently thinks he plays better in majors if he is playing the week before. Regardless, every player is different and the tour should give them the option to prepare in the way that is best for them. Bonus, this could be a way to get some top guys into less prestigious tournaments. Rory doesn't show up to San Antonio if he's not playing his way into form for the Masters. If roughly 50% of the top guys like playing the week before, congrats! you've just successfully boosted the quality of the field at a non-signature event.  

3. Consumer fatigue - I watched quite a bit of the Memorial. I watched a ton of the US Open. I'll watch very little of the Travelers this week. I'm spent. I want to get out on the course. I have things on the honey-do list that are piling up. I'd imagine that ratings this week will disappoint. Not because people aren't interested in golf, simply because they abandoned their responsibilities last weekend and have some catching up to do. 

Give the season a little room to breath. You can't crank the amp to 11 for every song. 

Agreed.  But part of this issue is the TOUR's own doing because they insist on wrapping up the FedEx Cup before the NFL gets going.

Still, I think its dumb to have the U.S. Open bookended by two elevated events.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, NormanFan said:

Agreed.  But part of this issue is the TOUR's own doing because they insist on wrapping up the FedEx Cup before the NFL gets going.

Still, I think it’s dumb to have the U.S. Open bookended by two elevated events.

Agree.   And even more, it is dumb to have any elevated or signature events.   Are the non elevated events chopped liver?  Can’t imagine wanting to be a sponsor for one of those. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NormanFan said:

Still, I think its dumb to have the U.S. Open bookended by two elevated events.

It's easier than you think. 

Flip Wells Fargo w/ the Houston Open

Flip the RBC Heritage and Zurich Classic

Flip the Memorial and the Canadian Open

Flip Travelers w/ Rocket Mtg

Poof! We've done it! No signature events either immediately before or after majors. No extending or shrinking the schedule. August is still free for the playoffs and the season is over before the NFL ramps up. 

46 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

Yes, and they have been for quite some time.  

There are opposite field events, tour events, and big tour events. It's been like this for decades, only now they have the courage to openly admit it.  

What, the signature events last year were top notch and highly entertaining....... IMO

3 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

What, the signature events last year were top notch and highly entertaining....... IMO

I agree completely. I think the signature event model is mostly* a good thing. I think it's perfectly ok for the PGAT to publicly admit that some of its a events are bigger and more important than others. The players have been telling the world this for years via their participation. The tour finally acknowledged this fact with the elevated, then designated, now signature event model. 

My only suggestion is to balance the schedule a bit better than they have.  

*I'd prefer each signature event to be at least top 100 w/ a cut to top 60 + ties vs the current no cut 60-70 man field model. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

I agree completely. I think the signature event model is mostly* a good thing. I think it's perfectly ok for the PGAT to publicly admit that some of its a events are bigger and more important than others. The players have been telling the world this for years via their participation. The tour finally acknowledged this fact with the elevated, then designated, now signature event model. 

My only suggestion is to balance the schedule a bit better than they have.  

*I'd prefer each signature event to be at least top 100 w/ a cut to top 60 + ties vs the current no cut 60-70 man field model. 

Well, three of the events have cuts, be it from 70 to 50 plus ties. I do believe.

2 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

Well, three of the events have cuts, be it from 70 to 50 plus ties. I do believe.

I know. I'm a bit torn on the matter. I like the tradition behind a cut. I also like the concept of making the weekend to get paid. I think those are unique quirks of golf worth keeping. On the flip side, from a sponsor, broadcaster, or attendees perspective, I totally understand wanting to insure the stars are there on the weekend. 

• Like 2

Matty  -  excellent intro post.  

Summertime golf tournaments typically bring new winners. 

This week, I like Aberg or Burnsie. 

Hard to think we have three majors behind us.  I am still trying to get my 2024 golf goals straight and here we are looking at the British Open in a matter of weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dutch1008 said:

I'd prefer a full field. Attract the big names with elevated purses (and maybe more FEC points), not limited fields and mild/no cut events. 

1 hour ago, Dutch1008 said:

I know. I'm a bit torn on the matter. I like the tradition behind a cut. I also like the concept of making the weekend to get paid. I think those are unique quirks of golf worth keeping. On the flip side, from a sponsor, broadcaster, or attendees perspective, I totally understand wanting to insure the stars are there on the weekend. 

I dunno... Some top name hacking it around who is one of the first tee times on Sat/Sun and the round is mostly shown on ESPN+ with the exception of a random shot or two on the Golf Channel, and then is done with his round by the time a network takes over the broadcast? 

How much value is that star adding to the ratings? 

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip