2024 Barracuda Championship WITB & Equipment Photos ×

WE ARE IN FACT THE END

We are the only ones that actually want these clubs. It’s joked about a lot on here but I’m finding out how true this is. 

So there’s a local guy here retiring very soon. He’s been repairing/refinishing golf clubs for 40+years. I have 2 50’s Mac sets (693,M85SEOM) I want to get to him before he closes shop. 

To raise some funds I listed 2 very nice 80’s sets and one decent set on FB. Not super high hopes but hoping for a quick local sale. Set of Mac JN SEOM’s, H&B Citations, & Mac JN Muirfield's. Set usual prices figuring I’m gonna get beat up a little but I don’t think they are horribly high. Especially for what I see some ask for for much rougher stuff. Anyways I’ve gotten 17 views and 1 save total in 48 hours on all  3 adds. Haven’t even had low ball offers as of yet. Have a realistic floor in mind cuz I do like all of these clubs. I may list a set of Mac JNP irons and also a set of Muirfield 20th’s with metal woods but minus a 7 iron also. Took over 2 months to sell a nice set of Line Over STAFFS for $50 so pretty sure  this is a fruitless cause. 

Will report back in the future 

Edited by ezgoer
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Stephen8802 said:

That's fine with me. My kids can dispose of them when I die, but I will have enjoyed them while I was playing.

Appears to be our reality anyway’s. Never thought I would make a penny on much of anything I have but…Being 55 hope I have another 30, knock on wood. Really considering a more preemptive strike riding of some and leaning more into the favorites I’ve developed so far. Turns out a bit different than what I thought it was gonna be when I first started so kinda glad I have been as ‘opportunistict’ as I have to this point. 

My mother passed last fall, was a doll collector and refinished dolls most her adult life. We now have dolls, libraries of doll clothes patterns, eyeballs and doll wigs and etc. etc. meticulously cataloged and stored to find a place for.

Ive always loved the idea of an Indian/Vikings burning style of ceremony for a lost cause persimmon 

Edited by ezgoer

7 minutes ago, ezgoer said:

Being 55 hope I have another 30, knock on wood. Really considering a more preemptive strike and leaning more into the favorites I’ve developed so far.  

Well, I've got 22 years on you....and also hope to be playing 30 years from now 🤣 perhaps w/2 clubs ala Mickey Wright....

9 minutes ago, ezgoer said:

My mother passed last fall, was a doll collector and refinished dolls most her adult life. We now have dolls, libraries of doll clothes patterns, eyeballs and doll wigs and etc. etc. meticulously cataloged and stored to find a place for.

you could alway donate to a doll museum in your Mom's name?

4 minutes ago, bcstones said:

Well, I've got 22 years on you....and also hope to be playing 30 years from now 🤣 perhaps w/2 clubs ala Mickey Wright....

you could alway donate to a doll museum in your Mom's name?

Yes she volunteered at the Mn Historical museum and some has gone that way. Being involved in doll clubs forever there’s that avenue. Sure like us many with more than they can handle and are thinking towards the future. Dolls and stuff shouldn’t be tough but trying to find a proper place for all the volumes of patterns and literature is the hard part. Sure a lot of work went into that. Guess I have a lot of stuff I know basically only I have interest in so…

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree that "we are in fact the end".....well, maybe not - if the following was tacked on to that..."of distance is king"...

Think about it....almost a century back, the USGA and the R&A sought assurances from the manufacturers that acceptance of the steel shaft would not have the same effect as the gutta ball did - massive lengthening of golf courses.  Which has carried into this century until there is little real estate left in the world to support 10,000 yard golf courses, much less real estate surrounding most established golf courses in use these days. 
The cap on golf ball distance seems to me to be the death knoll of "king distance".

Now perhaps more golf will depend more on the "play" than how far can you hit the ball. Eventually, even tho there will always be the attempt, like the new MacGregor Wingbacks, to use the old name on a entirely different set,  there will be return an interest in playing the originals. [I do wonder tho, if the present "business-of-golf" has the cajones to return to the old designs]

Edited by bcstones
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, chilidip68 said:

Are you not going to ship clubs? You are allowed to put old clubs on here. I'd like to see more of the tbh. Good luck either way.

Not opposed to shipping other than the convenience factor for myself. There isn’t a vintage only section on here and have been told listing anything vintage on here is pointless. 99.5 percent of people in WRX aren’t looking for it. Plus such volume is listed you get shuffled out immediately. Then there’s seller/buyer ratings etc etc. If I’m gonna deal with shipping I’ll list elsewhere. There’s a persimmon FB group although they may trend more towards the older stuff that a few more people actually want. I could be wrong on this though 

Edited by ezgoer
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ezgoer said:

So there’s a local guy here retiring very soon. He’s been repairing/refinishing golf clubs for 40+years.

Stan?

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I think the interest will live on.  None of us here would have played hickories growing up yet some of us collect them.  If the asking price is anything to go by, hickories are more popular today than they were a decade ago.  Same goes with persimmon, it used to be that there was a steady stream of lefty persimmon appearing on the likes of Ebay, now it's much rarer and you don't tend to see some of the more collectable stuff, 653's, M80's and so on anywhere near as often.  As long as modern equipment remains disposable and soulless there will be golfers who will be keen to discover the joy of real golf.

• Like 4

The demand for vintage clubs, especially classic is very soft which makes acquiring clubs very affordable. When the time comes to sell them, there is not much of a market. That is why I am very selective on what I acquire and limit the number of sets that I keep to three or four sets of irons. I will admit to having lots of persimmon/laminates but really have three or four favourite sets and give away or sell the others to friends that are getting in to vintage play. I never buy anything online as I find the prices ridiculous and come upon great sets through my local sources.

Hickory clubs and events means there is more demand but you still need to be knowledgeable on what clubs are actually worth. The old collectors with huge stocks of clubs are dying off and it is very hard finding new homes for their treasures. 

My advice in vintage gear is buy what you like bearing in mind that there is a good chance that you will not get anything back when wanting to sell. Enjoy playing the clubs. I don’t expect there to be a resurgence in demand for classic clubs so do it for yourself.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, tripanfal said:

I’m a geriatric millennial – and I collect mainly classic clubs because they were the clubs I drooled over but couldn’t afford when I was a teenager. Sure, the market will go up and down, but I think that the particular quality and history of the best classics will keep them around in one way or another. Golf is a game where the mythos is going to seep in - and I am happy about what I can get for my

collection for the cost of a nice dinner these days. I like my clubs more if I don’t think of them as a part of a well

diversified investment portfolio. 

I feel this.  Im from a modest background , im happy my parents and grandparents helped me gather up clubs as a kid. I could afford a $1200 set of irons if I wanted to, but no way!! I like the gathering process and i have thing's I didn't have access to cheap as a kid.  I'd rather pure an old Wilson I got cheap over worry about this years model. I don't think my average score would drop with anything newer than Ping Zing's irons tbh.

• Like 4

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood (HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX)

Hybrid: Nike Slingshot 5 (26 Degrees) 

Irons: Ping Zings 2 -5 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 6 to 8

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

-

Ball:  Pro V1's or Yellow Callaway ERC Soft Triple Track (2023)

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons

Playing public courses around here I've never seen anyone near my age play vintage anything other than putters. No blades, no persimmons, no wedges, etc. Hell, I can't even sell a like-new set of 2003 Hogan Apex blades around here.

And nevermind selling persimmon - the only thing I've ever been able to sell out of my collection has had the name MacGregor on it, and it took being in mint condition and not minding only getting 25$ a piece for them... Muirfield, PT35W, and an aluminum insert MT1W. Nobody has even asked me about the brand new Mizuno fairways.

It's going to take persimmon becoming significantly more scarce for anybody to be able to sell them for anything other than pocket change.

• Like 2

On Maine's public's I see people with older stuff all the time. 

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

-

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons

On 6/20/2024 at 5:32 PM, ezgoer said:

Not opposed to shipping other than the convenience factor for myself. There isn’t a vintage only section on here and have been told listing anything vintage on here is pointless. 99.5 percent of people in WRX aren’t looking for it. Plus such volume is listed you get shuffled out immediately. Then there’s seller/buyer ratings etc etc. If I’m gonna deal with shipping I’ll list elsewhere. There’s a persimmon FB group although they may trend more towards the older stuff that a few more people actually want. I could be wrong on this though 

A few years back we petitioned the powers to be here at WRX to start a Classic BST. They did oblige to give them credit but it never took hold so they abandoned it

• Sad 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

On 6/20/2024 at 5:32 PM, ezgoer said:

Yep I am on that FB group and from what I have seen only the highly collectable stuff sells. 

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I appreciate the kindness of others on here, ive gotten a hand full of clubs real cheap from members. 

• Like 2

-

-