Gabby golf girl

I’m sure there are many Florida/US golfers here who might know her as she is quite famous & entertaining on YouTube. 

What I am surprised at are her scores. It seems her swing & golf knowledge are both solid, so not sure why her scoring JGS differential, average scores, low scores, etc. are not even as good as it takes to make top half of AJGA tournaments. In fact, she rarely breaks par even for local tournaments and often shoots high 70s and even 80+.

Anyone have insights? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jayslaysongolf said:

She has a history of dropping out of tournaments.   One the worst playing partners you could get.

There is a reason why she loves to play south florida PGA. Most kids don’t put up with her anymore.

Her dropping out has no impact on you. Not sure what makes her one of the worst playing partners you can get... sounds like jealousy to me. 

That you're complaining about how bad she is and how bad it is to play with her only makes me believe your kid needs to get better so they aren't playing the same events. 

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

4 minutes ago, jayslaysongolf said:

With her it is all about getting followers and the show she is filming.  She doesn’t care if her camera gets in the way of other players it is a distraction.

why would anyone want that as playing partner.  She is not good enough to turn pro but wants to act like one.

It a circus no one wants to be part of.

She's probably making more $ than your average LPGA pro as a 16 year old golf content creator. 

134K subscribers on YT with over 49 million views. 459K followers on Instagram. 

image.png.ac9ebdd777bf4d8f964a46015fdd8f1d.png

Being  pro golfer is all about making money at it.  As I see it she is promoting the game and making money at!  A win for her and a win for golf!

She is only 16 and constantly distracted by the need to produce quality video to earn money. 

I doubt she has my course management skills after decades of doing customer service work.

If she has an income stream that gives her time to learn the golfing skills she needs.

Golf really needs girls who can play decently while projecting a good image.  It is very hard to learn how to do both.  Social Media is a mine field.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

She's driven, energetic, enthusiastic and a decent golfer. What's the issue? 

If you're in a group with her and distracted by her film crew then that's your issue. 

She will do commentating on the course while other girl's are hitting and playing with no regard to what they are doing. Same for film crew. Yes it is a distraction and it is on her and the film crew. No player has to deal with that garbage unless playing with Gabby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jayslaysongolf said:

You really think she would make a video if it wasn’t a problem????

She makes videos and it entertains old men Good for her.  However she not a tournament golfer like you see on the LPGA.

It fine if you like the entertainment but like most you tube personalities there is a lot scripting going on.

Takes a big man to criticize a 16 year old girl. 

1 hour ago, ShortGolfer said:

Being  pro golfer is all about making money at it.  As I see it she is promoting the game and making money at!  A win for her and a win for golf!

She is only 16 and constantly distracted by the need to produce quality video to earn money. 

I doubt she has my course management skills after decades of doing customer service work.

If she has an income stream that gives her time to learn the golfing skills she needs.

Golf really needs girls who can play decently while projecting a good image.  It is very hard to learn how to do both.  Social Media is a mine field.

I was surprised to see her in a Charles Schwab commercial on TV.  She plays with LPGA players and shows their personalities a lot better than what we see in a regular LPGA event.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, leezer99 said:

She's driven, energetic, enthusiastic and a decent golfer. What's the issue? 

If you're in a group with her and distracted by her film crew then that's your issue. 

I think the issue is, there's a lot of jealous people in the world wishing they'd thought of the same thing first.  

Make lots of money by 16 playing golf reguardless of the outcome.  Seems like most people's dream.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jayslaysongolf said:

This is the problem with Girls golf everyone thinks every girl who can play better then average is supposed to be under par.

She is like most girls there not that good and many cases have a hard breaking 75.

Her show is a production and that is fine but reality is much different.

I don't think Gabby hides anything.  I've watched a few of her 1v1 against higher level competition and never seen her win.  Watched her play against Nelly and I think Gabby was about even or 1 over and Nelly didn't break a sweat shooting 2 under and it made me a big Nelly fan with how nice Nelly is. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wegobomber31 said:

I had never heard of her but met her and her parents at the Colonial Pro-Am.  My friend is also on the Charles Schwab challengers series and we were inside the ropes with them.  Her Mom asked my son how many followers he had 🙂

I met heavyweight boxing champion Terrible Tim Witherspoon at a party.  He asked me the same thing.  Lol.   

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LeoLeo99 said:

I don't think Gabby hides anything.  I've watched a few of her 1v1 against higher level competition and never seen her win.  Watched her play against Nelly and I think Gabby was about even or 1 over and Nelly didn't break a sweat shooting 2 under and it made me a big Nelly fan with how nice Nelly is. 

Pros are too busy trying to win to learn how to promote themselves properly on social media.  Working with with Gabby to gain fans may be the best way for them expand their social media reach.

Guys place too much emphasis on who wins.  Do you feel better after seeing what you just watched on YouTube? Do you want to see more?  

• Like 1

I've seen plenty of her YT shorts and other content occasionally.  She seems very nice and energetic and very comfortable on camera.

It does seem, from some content, that her family is well monied. Given that, (and assuming its true) I do wonder what her motivation is. Maybe she really loves doing it, which is perfectly fine.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, LawGenius305 said:

She and her parents put her in the public eye so she is up for criticism no matter what age she is. See Justin Bieber when he was just a youngster.

While constructive criticism is valuable, personal attacks can be harmful, especially to juniors. I'm sure you would agree that age-appropriate boundaries and empathy are crucial. I think we should all strive for a more compassionate approach to discussing junior players... even CW and cheaters. 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2024 at 1:46 AM, golferdad8 said:

I’m sure there are many Florida/US golfers here who might know her as she is quite famous & entertaining on YouTube. 

What I am surprised at are her scores. It seems her swing & golf knowledge are both solid, so not sure why her scoring JGS differential, average scores, low scores, etc. are not even as good as it takes to make top half of AJGA tournaments. In fact, she rarely breaks par even for local tournaments and often shoots high 70s and even 80+.

Anyone have insights? 

Pretty simple answer....too much time making videos and not enough time practicing.  With golf...that's usually the answer.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, leezer99 said:

While constructive criticism is valuable, personal attacks can be harmful, especially to juniors. I'm sure you would agree that age-appropriate boundaries and empathy are crucial. I think we should all strive for a more compassionate approach to discussing junior players... even CW and cheaters. 

100%. 
Recall that my initial OP was more of curiosity trying to find out why she doesn’t score as well as she looks based on her videos. 
Thanks for reminder that our goals here are to support junior golfers & help figure out ways to improve the game for everyone as a whole. 

Edited by golferdad8
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, leezer99 said:

We can agree to disagree. Not sure there have been any personal attacks. Telling what is viewed as a truth isn't a personal attack. If they want no criticism, don't post videos.

• Like 1

If you survey young kids in grade school what job they want "content creator" is in the top 3 over doctors, engineers, etc. Pair kids that break through popularity barriers on the internet with support of wealthy families and resources and this is what you get - a very polarizing kid/figure.

• Like 3

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / PHNTM7.5

4 hours ago, jayslaysongolf said:

So the production company behind it can do what ever they want??????

The issue is not about making videos.  No one cares about that.

However using a junior golf tournament as her own personal production set is an issue.  If she is there to play then put down the camera and talk about the event afterwards.

CW is also a distraction but at least they are respectful of other players. gabbygolf is not and that is the issue.

Well I’m glad we found the parent that speaks for everyone. 

I really like watching her videos; she makes golf fun and that is what I like about all the YouTubers.

Saw this morning though that she withdrew after the first round in her pro tournament debut as was unwell, she seemed to try to play but struggled and WD.

She seems to practice like a pro with home schooling so I wish her all the best in the future and it's fun to watch. 

• Like 3
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • Titleist T200U 2 iron Ventus Black HB 10TX or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217