Joining the ''I Quit'' Club :(

I'll commiserate with you...

Newport was right, you're a guitarist not a golfer. I couldn't play a basic rock n roll bar chord on guitar and make it sound legit, it's just the way we're wired.

I have absolutely zero proof of this theory but I think drummers make better golfers than guitarist \keyboard players. Takes little analysis to play drums\percussion well just 4 way coordination. Golf is that way, can't over complicate it. You gave it a good run, best of luck.

• Like 1

I feel your pain. The last 7 years I've battled a few injuries that have impacted my swing. Trying to change my swing to help elevate the pain issue. It's need a nightmare. I can play well enough to keep a low single digit handicap. Which is really a poor indication of how I'm playing. Today from 6350 years I shot a 90.... On my good body days I can still play but my bad days are so much worse than they've ever been.   

Maybe look at your golf game as the guitar. When you started that you probably struggled a bit. Take lessons. Learn the scales, tuning and chord progressions. Grip, stance, back swing etc ... It's a maddening game. 

If you’re not having fun, there is no reason to keep pounding your head against the wall. On the other hand, there are a lot of folks that score in the 90s that walk, play fast, enjoy being outside, and like being with their friends. Maybe you need to lower your expectations. I’m a pretty good golfer, but I’m a terrible guitar player. I enjoy picking a few fiddle tunes, but I’m under no illusion that I’ll get any better. 

• Like 4

Sorry to hear you're giving it up. But you are right to not punish yourself over a hobby. 

I raced and trained with a personal coach. He was not my coach.  Had a master's in kinesiology.  Also taught high school gym.  Trained way more then me or anyone else we raced with.  He couldn't run his way out of a paper bag. Couldn't bike faster then I could run (not quite that slow). He just could not swim/bike/run fast.  Great guy, but slow as molasses. 

Not everyone can be good at golf. No matter how much money you spend and how much time you practice.  It just didn't work for everyone.  This goes for any sport.  You have to find what you are good at for a hobby. Sounds like you did! 

Edited by 596
  • Like 1

You went to 3 different instructors, right? So in musician's terms, you were trying to learn 3 different songs to play and unfortunately golf swing instruction is so subjective that almost all of the songs have wrong notes in them.

The hard part is finding the right song out of the thousands of wrong songs out there and the harder part is making sure you're actually playing the notes correctly i.e. detect when you're off-key. 

For me personally, I'm studying Ben Hogan and Moe Norman and Mickey Wright as their "songs" are anecdotally the best and a composite medley of those 3 would be an absolute masterpiece that no one's ever seen or heard before.

1 song, 13 instruments (driver to lob wedge). The range is the recording studio, the course is the stage, the tournament is the concert. 

Golf is a difficult game, no doubt. It seems that you have absorbed a tremendous amount of information and it’s true that pupils can dive into techniques and positions without a clear concept. Simple things like, face aim, balance, left arm radius, inclination to the ball and maintaining it, a steady head, all important groundwork towards finding good contact. It’s true that proficient golf is not easily achieved but you don’t need a great amount of talent to do it.
I would also recommend a different perspective, read Zen Golf by Dr Joseph Parent.

I think it's pretty simple.  You're not enjoying the game anymore and you're not seeing improvement.  It's time to move on and find some other hobby.  No point in paying good money to spin your wheels and be frustrated.  Best of luck to you in finding something that brings you some joy and happiness in your life.  Everybody deserves that.  

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 6/22/2024 at 2:07 AM, AdiosAmigos said:

I realized that despite really wanting to be a good golfer, I will never be one. And I will never be someone that can enjoy golf while playing badly.

Reminds me of some advice I think I heard career coach Cal Newport say:

Nothing wrong with deciding to bag it, but, since you posted in a golf forum I'm going to assume that you are open to hearing alternative comments. 

Friend of mine is probably the worst golfer I have ever seen.  He does not keep score.  If he did I don't think he could break 140.  I think he enjoys golf more than anyone I have ever met.  He plays 3-5 times per week, and just enjoys being outside with friends and getting some exercise.

This week I read about John Wooden, the great basketball coach.  He said that the key to the success of his teams was that he got his players to not focus on the outcome, i.e. the score, but the process.  My guess is that your musical success is a product of process focus.

• Like 2

I might buck the optimism and say that if you can’t break 140 after putting in what seems like a pretty good amount of effort and money, you might be right about golf not really being your sport if scoring is even a decent chunk of what’s important to you.

• Like 4

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

4 hours ago, tm3 said:

Nothing wrong with deciding to bag it, but, since you posted in a golf forum I'm going to assume that you are open to hearing alternative comments. 

Friend of mine is probably the worst golfer I have ever seen.  He does not keep score.  If he did I don't think he could break 140.  I think he enjoys golf more than anyone I have ever met.  He plays 3-5 times per week, and just enjoys being outside with friends and getting some exercise.

This week I read about John Wooden, the great basketball coach.  He said that the key to the success of his teams was that he got his players to not focus on the outcome, i.e. the score, but the process.  My guess is that your musical success is a product of process focus.

It's an easy quote to use when you're teams are already filled with talent.   Don't think he would have held a job very long if he had that approach with a losing record. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Curious, at your peak what was your handicap and best score?

Also about the music, I only played guitar  a handful of times in my life, I remember getting the hang of it very quick, wasn't hard for me to play any song so I tried, don't remember the reason why I stopped playing though.

Maybe I did have a hidden musical talent

In the same boat. I’m a professional musician as well. I know what a slow grind looks like and am not afraid or anxious of things taking time, but I also got tired of the input not matching the output. Bought a road bike last year and haven’t looked back! Still have the clubs and play every now and then with friends and my father in law, but I won’t ever put as much energy into golf as I did, and that’s ok. 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2024 at 12:22 PM, Ghostwedge said:

I think drummers make better golfers

We do alright. 🙂

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB LA GOLF L

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.04°T LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

With respect I don’t understand how it’s even possible to shoot 140? What does it even look like?

I coach high school girls and most of our freshman have never played before but within a month or so will be shooting in the 120s simply from bunting it around and 3 putting once they get on the green.

I know there is ego involved but can’t you tee off with a 7i, get to the green in 4 shots and 2 putt? Double bogey every hole is 108…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mgoblue83 said:

With respect I don’t understand how it’s even possible to shoot 140? What does it even look like?

I coach high school girls and most of our freshman have never played before but within a month or so will be shooting in the 120s simply from bunting it around and 3 putting once they get on the green.

I know there is ego involved but can’t you tee off with a 7i, get to the green in 4 shots and 2 putt? Double bogey every hole is 108…

I know it can be hard to process for those with more natural ability at golf, but remember that generally things are normally distributed and for every Tiger, Rory and Scheffler there are going to be their anti-versions.

One of my brothers is a case in point. He was good at other sports but sucked terribly at golf. I'm not sure how old he was when he first played (maybe late 20s / early 30s?) but he gave it fairly serious crack in his late 40s / early 50s and 140 would have been a well above average round.

I got worse in 2023 chasing BS in my swing and reaching all these random mechanics golf pros talk about. Mix that in with a few bad golf pros I tried with lessons and my swing hit rock bottom. 

Went back to a guy I worked with in the past who was more about working with fundamentals within my own swing and I'm finally getting my swing back. 

While I'm not saying don't quit golf.. sometimes working with the wrong pro and chasing the wrong things can make your brain a basket case when in reality you're just swinging back, swinging through, and hitting a ball along the way

Edited by gato_plomo
Grammar

You’ll be back or you won’t, that’s a common theme in golf, either way good luck. 😎

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

The best weekend warriors I've played with are good at the things that don't take talent, mainly the short game.  Being good at 120 and in doesn't take talent and it's amazing how being good in that area makes the rest of your game better.

The other thing that doesn't take any talent is course management and playing to the strengths you have.

Finally, structuring your practice doesn't take any talent.

Playing once a week and shooting 67 is talent.  Practicing right, playing the course properly, and having a good short game only takes discipline and hard work.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, GolfTurkey said:

I know it can be hard to process for those with more natural ability at golf, but remember that generally things are normally distributed and for every Tiger, Rory and Scheffler there are going to be their anti-versions.

One of my brothers is a case in point. He was good at other sports but sucked terribly at golf. I'm not sure how old he was when he first played (maybe late 20s / early 30s?) but he gave it fairly serious crack in his late 40s / early 50s and 140 would have been a well above average round.

No, when unathletic 14 year old girls who have never played before can shoot 120 by bunting it 50yds at a time and 3 putting there is zero excuse for 140 from a health male with resources and time.

i understand what you are saying but there is something seriously wrong (and clearly fixable) with your brother and the op.

Only way it’s even possible is if he’s just swinging for the fences and losing multiple balls on every hole. 

You can literally hit 50yd chip shots for every swing and shoot better than 120. I know because that’s what we have our beginning girls do until they improve.

• Like 1

OP may be an established member who created this account to start this thread.

The average score for those with an established average is ~ 100. There are ~ 3 million players in the U.S. with established averages. There are ~ 41 million people in the U.S. who identify themselves with playing golf. So… the average score for the top 7 percent of players is 100. 120 for a round that is played in strict conformity with established rules is likely quite low for a high percentage of players.

Beginners bunting balls at a 5000 yard course is very different than someone trying to play at 6200+ yards where they’re making full swings. Even at 5000 yards, it would take 100 shots to average hitting the green. 1 putting everything puts you at ~120.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

Good post OP. I agree with you. Some people just arent cut out for golf - or sports; not just competitively mentally but physically to even get off the ground.

I am in a similar boat, maybe a bit better than you, except I enjoy it. My regular scoring is 85-95. I realize I will never be better than the low 80s. I'm okay with that - but I keep playing because other parts of golf (shafts, testing, data) feed the parts of my hobby-oriented mind and keep me busy. I will never not play golf, but I realize I will never be a scratch golfer and I'm okay with that.

(Also I've only ever had two professional lessons over 10 years so I'm in that like ~$200, not $7,000 lol)

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 1

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / PHNTM7.5