2024 Barracuda Championship WITB & Equipment Photos ×

I say we add a club — it’s time

OBbogey5

Just did a quick google search.. had no idea Mr. Jones won his 1930 Slam with 16 clubs in the bag.

As I’m struggling once again to come up with the bottom of my bag.. 47PW, 52GW, 60LW, I just want to add another wedge without dropping a club up top.

Whenever I feel like I’ve got something, I get bummed out because what the heck am I going to do between 250yd/3W and 215yd/3i. It’s too big of a gap, and there’s just too many shots to be played off the tee and from the fairway with a 5W or hybrid. 

I don’t want to give up a 3i or 4i either. I have the Nike VR Pro combo set, the good one from 2011, and I really enjoy hitting those irons. 

I don’t think it’s asking too much, after 90 years of the 14 club rule being established, that we get 15. 

30 years ago a LW was added. Now, with easier to hit long irons, and more study and understanding of the game, I just don’t think the history and integrity of golf is in jeopardy by allowing me to keep a 5W and a SW.

Dr

3W

5W/hybrid/driving iron

3-PW(47)

52/53, 58, 64

Putter

How much are you against bucking tradition and adding a 15th club?

https://www.andysgolfblog.co.uk/blog/2022/why-are-golfers-limited-to-14-golf-clubs/#:~:text=It's suggested that 14 was,carried during their playing careers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, OBbogey5 said:

Just did a quick google search.. had no idea Mr. Jones won his 1930 Slam with 16 clubs in the bag.

As I’m struggling once again to come up with the bottom of my bag.. 47PW, 52GW, 60LW, I just want to add another wedge without dropping a club up top.

Whenever I feel like I’ve got something, I get bummed out because what the heck am I going to do between 250yd/3W and 215yd/3i. It’s too big of a gap, and there’s just too many shots to be played off the tee and from the fairway with a 5W or hybrid. 

I don’t want to give up a 3i or 4i either. I have the Nike VR Pro combo set, the good one from 2011, and I really enjoy hitting those irons. 

I don’t think it’s asking too much, after 90 years of the 14 club rule being established, that we get 15. 

30 years ago a LW was added. Now, with easier to hit long irons, and more study and understanding of the game, I just don’t think the history and integrity of golf is in jeopardy by allowing me to keep a 5W and a SW.

Dr

3W

5W/hybrid/driving iron

3-PW(47)

52/53, 58, 64

Putter

https://www.andysgolfblog.co.uk/blog/2022/why-are-golfers-limited-to-14-golf-clubs/#:~:text=It's suggested that 14 was,carried during their playing careers.

You really think you NEED a 64 wedge?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DocBrown3887 said:

I'm actually obsessed with half sets at the moment so I'm going other direction. I feel like "n+1" mentality could just snowball but I think it is good to have to make tough decisions when building a bag, mainly for pros and competitive golf. If you want 15 as a weekend warrior who cares honestly? Whatever makes you happy/have most fun is most important outside a tournament setting imo.

I will downplay my ability all day long. Promise.

I’d love half the clubs! I carry three wedges because it’s more fun, for me, to try to hit 100 yd PWs. Played in a 7 iron only tournament at Rec Park for years, and was pretty bad at it. But I knew the reason was my swing was bad.

Yes, I like half shots, and I’ll continue to knock down PWs. I think, right now, it’s 64 that I want. 

Why not unlimited clubs? You could have 1/2 irons that give you 5-yard gaps, that way you never have hit anything but a full shot.

• Haha 1

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

5 minutes ago, OBbogey5 said:

Don’t need anything. A fifteenth club I would rotate between different four wedge setups.

Have you played with a 64 before?

I have a 64 I put in the bag on very specific courses under very specific conditions.  On those courses I pull a long club.  Easy peasy

I can’t imagine a scenario where I need the 60 and 64 in my bag full time.

id say why stop at 15 if you want to add clubs,  why not add as many as you want?

• Like 1

For a casual round among friends I could care less how many clubs you have. I think it can actually be detrimental when carrying too many though...too many choices. I would feel comfortable playing 13 clubs. The 5 iron is mostly for show & punch outs from trees so I could leave it behind if I had to.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid:Callaway Paradym @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

I have played 5 wedges for a long time, and I think I've just learned how to make it fit in the current rules.

I see no benefit trying to find a very specific yardage with a long club, because I'm just trying to hit/get around a green outside of 200 yards.  My money is made inside 100, so thats why I have the 5 wedge set up.

If I could, I'd have a 2/3i for only tee shots as well as a higher lofted fairway, but going D/3w/3h/4i/6i works just fine for my gappings.

• Like 1
Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

31 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

I have a 64 I put in the bag on very specific courses under very specific conditions.  On those courses I pull a long club.  Easy peasy

I can’t imagine a scenario where I need the 60 and 64 in my bag full time.

id say why stop at 15 if you want to add clubs,  why not add as many as you want?

One extra club turns into infinity 🤣

I want to do what you do.. substitute in a 64. Playing small greens, with

KKKKYYYYKKKKUUUUYYYYAAAAA 

…not the worst idea in the world.

64 from 50yds and in is pretty deadly, I’ve found. 

The consensus in Tour is overwhelmingly four wedges, which I’ve never done. I really don’t see what I can do with a 56 as something I can’t do with the a 52 or 60. But I’m actually hitting it pretty decent for the first time in a long time, so I’m thinking about maximizing the bag. 

I don’t don’t see how I give up the 225-245 shot. Yet now my Callaway Pro 20* hybrid is a little too short. I’ll me shopping for a 18-19 wood. Want glued hosel.

im not playing with 15 clubs, unless its just to test something. We competitive, and I have a feeling my old gambling buddies are going to start asking for $$ games soon, which I’ll be ready for. 

2 minutes ago, OBbogey5 said:

One extra club turns into infinity 🤣

I want to do what you do.. substitute in a 64. Playing small greens, with

KKKKYYYYKKKKUUUUYYYYAAAAA 

…not the worst idea in the world.

64 from 50yds and in is pretty deadly, I’ve found. 

The consensus in Tour is overwhelmingly four wedges, which I’ve never done. I really don’t see what I can do with a 56 as something I can’t do with the a 52 or 60. But I’m actually hitting it pretty decent for the first time in a long time, so I’m thinking about maximizing the bag. 

I don’t don’t see how I give up the 225-245 shot. Yet now my Callaway Pro 20* hybrid is a little too short. I’ll me shopping for a 18-19 wood. Want glued hosel.

im not playing with 15 clubs, unless its just to test something. We competitive, and I have a feeling my old gambling buddies are going to start asking for $$ games soon, which I’ll be ready for. 

I hear what you’re saying.  But why only one more?  Just cause you personally would like only one more?  What if someone else’s wants two?  A 64 and maybe an extra putter so you can have a lag putt putter and a close range putter?  

in your scenario with the bag you listed I would just give remove either the 3 iron, 5 wood spot, or 3 wood.  most likely the 3 iron or 5 wood.  

I'm all about 10 clubs.  Most golfers don't have a clue how to hit half the clubs in their bag currently, especially wedges.  We don't need more.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Bridgestone Tourstage X-FW 13.5* (Bassara 40)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 20* Hybrid (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Mizuno Fli-Hi T-Zoid 24* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Maruman Conductor Pro Forged  6-9 (Kurokage Black 50)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (Bassara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

5 hours ago, OBbogey5 said:

Dr

3W

5W/hybrid/driving iron

3-PW(47)

52/53, 58, 64

Putter

The asterisk about number of clubs will never be there for his slam.  Too bad he didn't play with 14 clubs for such an accomplishment.

3 hours ago, hook_or_slice said:

You really think you NEED a 64 wedge?

Ha!  What does need have to do with anything?  He wants a 64 wedge in the bag, in this case want > need.  It's a recreational game and we all have different ideas about how to go about it.

I have a 64.  Sometimes it's in the bag (depends on the course).  It is the the club that registers the biggest smiles when it's working.  From the ground it looks like it goes as high as it does total distance, love it when it behaves.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

6 hours ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

I hear what you’re saying.  But why only one more?  Just cause you personally would like only one more?  What if someone else’s wants two?  A 64 and maybe an extra putter so you can have a lag putt putter and a close range putter?  

in your scenario with the bag you listed I would just give remove either the 3 iron, 5 wood spot, or 3 wood.  most likely the 3 iron or 5 wood.  

Let’s start with one.. seems like a good number to begin with.. and go from there. 

If they ever cap the golf ball tech, which they should, moving to 15 clubs could be a concession to the OEMs to help balance things out. 

But I generally agree with others that 14 is plenty, and that even less would make sense -- adding more bag setup-strategy and requiring players to be more creative. 

Titleist TSR3 1w - Tour AD VF 6x

Titleist TSR2 3w - Tour AD VF 7x

Titleist TSR2 3H – Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i 5i 6i - SS X100

Titleist T100 7i 8i 9i – SS X100

Titleist SM09 46 50 54 60 – S400

Titleist Pro V1 – LAB Mezz Broom

Just now, uglande said:

If they ever cap the golf ball tech, which they should, moving to 15 clubs could be a concession to the OEMs to help balance things out. 

But I generally agree with others that 14 is plenty, and that even less would make sense -- adding more bag setup-strategy and requiring players to be more creative. 

In this vein, I would like to see more organized events (amateur obviously) where you're forced to play with a limited bag. I've seen some one-club challenges and three-club events. But something like a 6-club competition would be fun. I bet scores wouldn't be bad either (I'd go something like Driver, 5w, 6i, 9i, SW, Putter). 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 1w - Tour AD VF 6x

Titleist TSR2 3w - Tour AD VF 7x

Titleist TSR2 3H – Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i 5i 6i - SS X100

Titleist T100 7i 8i 9i – SS X100

Titleist SM09 46 50 54 60 – S400

Titleist Pro V1 – LAB Mezz Broom

I have a 15th club in the bag. I call it my ugly wedge. I use it to punch out from gnarly spots where I don't want to expose my "good" wedges to the abuse and same w my 4h which is my long punch out club.

But I'd be fine with 10. Drop one of my fairways, keep the hybrid, drop my longest iron and alternate irons to drop, but keep my wedges and cut the ugly.

Whenever I walk or push a cart that's what I do anyway.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS Black 10.5º R - UST Mamiya LinQ M40x White 6F3, (-1")

Cobra Aerojet X 15⁰ R - UST Mamiya LinQ M40x White 6F3

Cobra F9 18.5⁰ R - Evenflow Blue 5.5 65g

Callaway Apex '21 4 Hybrid 21⁰ R - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HB

Callaway Apex '19 5i - AW - R - Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH

Cleveland RTX6 - 54⁰/10, (-1⁰) - Mid - Nippon Pro Modus3 105g, Wedge

Cleveland RTX6 - 58⁰/9 - Mid - Nippon Pro Modus3 105g, Wedge

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 3 - 35", (-1"), (+3g)

I’ve found 1/3/7 woods, 5-PW and a 54*/putter in the bag is just fine. I could get by without the 3w most rounds.

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS driver

Srixon ZX 3 & 7 fairway woods

Srixon ZX 4 hybrid

Epon AF-302 irons 5-PW

Fourteen DJ-5 50*/54*/58* wedges

TM Spider GT-X putter

Sun Mountain mid-stripe stand bag

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

12 hours ago, tatertot said:

Why not unlimited clubs? You could have 1/2 irons that give you 5-yard gaps, that way you never have hit anything but a full shot.

Lawson Little, is that you?  Add a couple left handed clubs for those three times a year when you need one.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I could get away dropping my 4w, DI and my 58° and I’d be fine. So for me I could likely do 11 clubs and be just fine. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

On 6/22/2024 at 7:12 PM, OBbogey5 said:

Technically...if the course states "all USGA rules apply except for ___ local rules" then you're a golf criminal with 15 clubs in your bag.

I'll stick to whatever the rules stipulate just to keep myself in check.  Otherwise it won't be long until I've got 20 clubs.

• Like 1