Considering One Length

I've been playing golf for about 2 years and have struggled with 9i and PW being uncomfortable due to my height. I also struggle with 4i and 5i to get clean connections as I'm not the best at getting my setup correct. My mates a good golfer and tells me to suck it up but it's annoying when my 7i is so pure. Thus came the conversation with my coach that I could have a look at one length. I'm a bit hesitant to jump straight in with a fully custom set for something I may not get on with. If I buy a second hand set and then have the lie adjusted to my 2* upright I currently play, with stiff shafts at 37.5 length (same as my 7i) will this work for now? Or with OL do you really need the full fitting to reap all the benefits.

• Like 1

On global golf you can trial a set of one length cobras iron sets for $75.
Note: lie angles are weird on cobras iron sets. 

• Like 1

Driver 9* Mavrik Max Evenflow Riptide 50 Stiff

7 wood 21* Cobra F7 Kuro Kage Silver 80 x-stiff

3, 4, 5 King Utility ONE Elevate 95 Stiff
6-9: TEE C721 Elevate 95 Stiff

43/8*, 48/9* CBX Zipcore DG Spinner 115

54/12*, 58/8* ES21 KBS Hi-rev 2.0 115

2 Ball Blade

I wouldn't suggest directly adjust angles based on your current set, One Length doesn't really work like that. I've played a cobra set with their stock angles, i've made 2 sets with different lies that didn't need adjusting.

I'm assuming you are taller than 6ft ? What kind of issues are you having with the 9 and P ?

Many people struggle to hit long irons at the best of times, so don't directly think that One Length is the solution.

The next problem people face is that they do not have enough speed to make the long irons work in One length. recommend you have over 90mph iron swing speed before you try long iron One Length.

The other side effect of OL is hitting your 9 and P too long and your 7 and above become very clustered at the same yardage and don't have sufficient gapping. 

Of course, you should try OL if you get the chance.

• Like 1

TM Mini Brnr 9* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Attas 6Rockstar 6X

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

Currently testing this as well. 6ft, 36" wrist to floor with a tight hip and back area due to a car accident a few years ago. I got to the range yesterday with them (see signature) for the first time after picking them up on Saturday with a brief GCQuad session on Saturday before walking out with them. First impressions are positive, but not enough to blow me away into keeping them (yet). I want to play a round with them first to really see how they perform in battle. Also, since they are a bit of a departure from VL, if Cobra stops making OL in the future, I have no way of acquiring a set of SL/OL clubs again if I like them a lot because I am very much one of those "I have to try it before I buy it" guys for peace of mind and blind ordering a set of Wishon, Pinhawks, etc. is not going to fly. That is also weighing more heavily on my mind than it probably should.

First impressions:

1) Minimal, if any back pain due to the longer 9i - GW. These Cobra's are essentially 8i length for me as I normally play 1/2" over, so even though I know Cobra technically builds for a 7i, mentally, it is just easier for me to think of them all as 8i length (and then I don't have to pay for extensions). Typically after hitting balls my back would be a bit tight, this was not the case here.

2)  I am noticing a bit more draw than I would like to see (naturally in-out with a bit of a flip that tends to result in drawing toe strikes) compared to my normal clubs. I am not sure if that is the lie angle, shaft weight, or both. I know it isn't the length because the draw is consistent on both the over-length (comparatively) clubs as it is to the under-length clubs (comparatively). Usually if a club is too short you will toe bash it, so to see them the same on everything tells me it is probable to be one of the other two variables. The lie angle is an easy fix, the shafts, not so much as due to the nature of the heads that's a full on investment. More testing is needed to flesh this out in detail. 

3) It is "easier". For me, the middle of my stance (middle of the zipper on my fly) was the consistency sweet spot. Keeping the ball there and just concentrating on making a good turn did result in some nice, high, repeatable shots.

4) Distance seemed roughly comparable to what I would consider normal. In the GCQuad session, the 9i was flying maybe 3-4 yards longer than normal (tends to be my 135 club total, but I was getting 135-138 carry) and the hybrids were, on good strikes, maybe a touch shorter than normal but nothing to suggest lots of bunching between 3 clubs as a lot of OL/SL testers complain about. The hybrids, on mishits do fly much lower than expected, but on good strikes they are fine. I did not a tendency to hit the hybrids more thin than I would my normal hybrids, which I attribute to the shorter length and unfortunately lighter SW than the rest of the irons (I can rebuild as needed -- these were free with the 5-GW so I can't complain about them not matching). Distance bunching needs to be explored on an accurate LM rather than eyeballed at the range, but based on my range session it did seem like at times they could bunch, but it was tough to argue club vs. natural crap swing flux.

As I mentioned in another thread, I am not out anything if I don't like these. I got 5-GW + the 2 hybrids, brand new in the wrapper, for $400 + tax. My local store is having a trade-in bonus that will give me $705 in trade credit for them, which is similar to what I could sell them privately for without the hassle. That is going on until the end of the month. If I don't get along with them, I have my eyes on some PXG or Srixon irons anyways that will come out free after trading in my two iron sets. Either way, win-win. A win if I like them, a win if I don't. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9 -- Accra TZFive 60

Callaway Paradym 15 & Paradym TD 18  -- Accra TZFive 70

Cobra King Tec 22 & 25 -- MMT 80 -- Testing LTDx One Length 4 & 5 hybrid

Ping i525 6-PW, UW -- Modus 120 -- Testing Aerojet One Length 5-Gw

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54 & 58 -- DG Spinner 

Bettinardi Hive Custom -- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I'm 6ft 1, 37" wrist to floor so usually come out about standard maybe 1/4 lengthened. P and 9i just feel uncomfortable and I find myself straightening up too much on the back swing and then having to squat on the downswing, just struggling to maintain my shape. I swing very fast for an amateur but my smash factor isn't great as swing and ball speeds are coming out similar. Think I'll grab a set of second hand clubs, maybe the ltdx and play a few rounds. Can always sell them on again if they aren't for me.

1 hour ago, NiallF said:

I'm 6ft 1, 37" wrist to floor so usually come out about standard maybe 1/4 lengthened. P and 9i just feel uncomfortable and I find myself straightening up too much on the back swing and then having to squat on the downswing, just struggling to maintain my shape. I swing very fast for an amateur but my smash factor isn't great as swing and ball speeds are coming out similar. Think I'll grab a set of second hand clubs, maybe the ltdx and play a few rounds. Can always sell them on again if they aren't for me.

If you can't find reasonable center of the club face because of set up and or being able to maintain spine angle thru the shot OL may or may not be the answer. OL clubs are great for stressed lower back problems at the wedge end.

I wouldn't even worry about the 5-6 irons, go with standard length irons or hybrid s if you commit to OL. A shorter shaft and less loft in those irons doesn't make sense to me.

19 hours ago, NiallF said:

If 2 clubs feels uncomfortable in a one length set, then you're doing it wrong. 

Some will struggle in short irons, others in long. It's easier to deal with long irons because you can use FW, hybrid etc.

Put your mind at ease, forgot about "what club your hitting" you just need to hit your 120 club, 130 club, 141 club, 162 club. 

Forget about what it's supposed to be, one length doesn't work in printed numbers, you hit your yardage club.

TM Mini Brnr 9* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Attas 6Rockstar 6X

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

Sounds like MOI matching could be the answer. I am 6ft 4 and have my wedges 1 longer than standard. 9i half an inch longer than standard. From there 8i 7i and 6i are standard(ish). 5i 4i and 3i are shorter than standard. Like one length but not as extreme. 

Titleist TSR3 9 Oban Airburst Cobalt 65 at 44"

Titleist TSi3 15 Oban Devotion 85 at 42"

TaylorMade P790 Udi 2i Hzrdus Black 6.5 Handcrafted

Epon AF Tour MB 3-PW Project X 6.5 / Yonex TC-Forged 3-PW Recoil Proto f5 SS

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 52 and 56 milled wedges

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach