Titleist AP1

G.Review

Titleist AP1 Irons

Titleist AP1 irons are advanced performance, multi-material, dual cavity irons providing great looks, feel, shot control and higher flight with forgiveness for the skilled and aspiring player.

AP1's high technology, multi-material construction features a precision cast #431 steel body, tungsten nickel box, elastomer cushion and aluminum cavity plate to deliver outstanding performance and feel.

The high density tungsten nickel box is laser welded to the back and sole. This locates the center of gravity in the center, low, and deep to improve launch conditions. The box structure and tungsten nickel material tune low frequency vibration for unmatched solid feel.

The dual cavity design of AP1 pushes weight to the perimeter. The central cross member with soft elastomer cushion provides rigidity behind the face for solid feel while reducing face vibration.

Titleist AP1 irons offer a contemporary, confidence inspiring appearance in the playing position with soft blends, modern proportions and semi-underslung hosel. The metallic cavity plate tunes sound and feel and provides attractive cosmetics for great bag appeal.

The new Titleist AP1 Irons - Advanced Performance You Can Feel.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have to be honest. I gave these the top rating, even though I have only hit the 4 iron, and I don't play them. I play the AP2.

My reasoning. It was one of the easiest to hit 4 irons I have ever hit, and it didn't have a ton of offset. Very easy to get airborne, just wanted to go straight. Felt great too, I am assuming due to the dampening technology that was used. Very soft feel for a cast iron, felt like my forged AP2.

This will be an playable iron for anybody, in my opinion. The reason to move from these to an AP2 or more of a blade type iron, would be someone who wants to work the ball a little bit, as well as someone who wants to better control the trajectory.

If you just want to hit it straight, high, and far, these will be great for you if properly fit.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Well I went out today for the first time in a long time. I havent had much practice this winter due to having 2 sons and an addition put on our house.

Anyway, I received my AP1's this afternoon and called a buddy and we went out and played a quick 9 before the rain. I used to play the 962 irons and bought these sight unseen and without even test driving them.

I gave these irons a 5 because they are probably the best irons I have played. They are easy to hit and feel great. I had a couple of mishits and on those mishits the ball probably went mabey 5-7 yards shorter than a normal shot. It will take some time to get used to the little offset that they have but they sure do look nice from the address position. The set I bought are std lie and loft and I need them 2* flat so that is why I mishit a couple and hit 2 shots a little fat. The DGS300 shaft in them were the same as my 962's so I didnt really notice any difference in ball flight. I did hit a 7-iron 155 with no wind and the temp right at 50, so I think these may play a 1/2-3/4 club longer than my 962's which is fine with me. I know when the temp goes up the ball will fly farther.

I did notice that they were a shade heavier than my 962's but I dont think it is anything to worry about, will just have to get used to. The irons seem to cut thru the ground great and not dig into it causing fat shot. It was a little soft out today but the club didnt dig in at all on me. I only used the 6,7,8,9 irons becase I was booming my new 905R driver and didnt have to use the 4,5,PW irons.

Overall these are a great club and mabey in a year or so I will try the AP2's. But for now this set is in the bag for the year. I dont think I can not dislike them, if not it is the guy swinging the club.

Well I went out today for the first time in a long time. I havent had much practice this winter due to having 2 sons and an addition put on our house.

Anyway, I received my AP1's this afternoon and called a buddy and we went out and played a quick 9 before the rain. I used to play the 962 irons and bought these sight unseen and without even test driving them.

I gave these irons a 5 because they are probably the best irons I have played. They are easy to hit and feel great. I had a couple of mishits and on those mishits the ball probably went mabey 5-7 yards shorter than a normal shot. It will take some time to get used to the little offset that they have but they sure do look nice from the address position. The set I bought are std lie and loft and I need them 2* flat so that is why I mishit a couple and hit 2 shots a little fat. The DGS300 shaft in them were the same as my 962's so I didnt really notice any difference in ball flight. I did hit a 7-iron 155 with no wind and the temp right at 50, so I think these may play a 1/2-3/4 club longer than my 962's which is fine with me. I know when the temp goes up the ball will fly farther.

I did notice that they were a shade heavier than my 962's but I dont think it is anything to worry about, will just have to get used to. The ball seem to cut thru the ground great and not dig into it causing fat shot. It was a little soft out today but the club didnt dig in at all on me. I only used the 6,7,8,9 irons becase I was booming my new 905R driver and didnt have to use the 4,5,PW irons.

Overall these are a great club and mabey in a year or so I will try the AP2's. But for now this set is in the bag for the year. I dont think I can not dislike them, if not it is the guy swinging the club.

DLoveIIIfan,

I know what you went through in trying to decide what to buy. You really did your home work. I am VERY happy to hear it payed off for you. Play great!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

DLoveIIIfan,

I know what you went through in trying to decide what to buy. You really did your home work. I am VERY happy to hear it payed off for you. Play great!

Kevin

Well I had a deal on these and couldnt pass them up and I figured if I didnt like them I could sell them for what I had in them. I figued I need something with a little forgiveness and I didnt think the 735's were going to do the job.

Thanks for the comments in my threads. I really help to get all sides of an opinion to help confirm or not confirm the decisions.

Brad

im trying to decide between taylor made R7 irons and the AP1's. i dont see much of a difference in specs besides surface area. im a 12 to 15 handicaper. im leaning towards the AP1's but not sure if they are the right fit. i played with both demo clubs and hit them equally as good. being such a high handicaper should i stay away form these ap1's?

• 4 weeks later...

I was at a course today and they had new demo 6 irons for sale for $20. Since I am going to graphite I bought one with the VS proto 75 shaft in it. Hit it several times and now am going to order the whole set. I am not a long hitter but was hitting this one 180 yards high and straight. The offset isn't bad at all but the topline is a little thick. I can live with that if I continue hitting this club straight and far. I currently am playing a set of Bridgestone J-33 cavity backs that are tour issued that i have used for 8 rounds so this is a major step. Looks like the J-33's are going up for sale!

I was at a course today and they had new demo 6 irons for sale for $20. Since I am going to graphite I bought one with the VS proto 75 shaft in it. Hit it several times and now am going to order the whole set. I am not a long hitter but was hitting this one 180 yards high and straight. The offset isn't bad at all but the topline is a little thick. I can live with that if I continue hitting this club straight and far. I currently am playing a set of Bridgestone J-33 cavity backs that are tour issued that i have used for 8 rounds so this is a major step. Looks like the J-33's are going up for sale!
I am very much interested in these irons, but I'm hard to fit for flex and I'm not sure which way to go. I've wanted a set of irons with graphite shafts and just haven't found any I'm comfortable with. I noticed that Titleist has an 85 VS Proto shaft with no upcharge. The 85 is for faster tempo players. What is your typical head speed and tempo. I'm wondering if I should go S in the 75 or R in the 85. For reference purposes, my six iron speed is around 82 with average tempo. I like Dynalite Gold S300s and the Tri-Spec Rs in my 755s. The Titleist fitting cart at our club only had the VS Proto 75s. I'm interested in your opinions. Thanks.

Epic Max LS 10.5

Steelhead XR 3-Heaven-9Ws

0211 5-GW

Glide 2.0 WS 54

Rally 58

Huntington Beach Soft Premier 8

Vero X1

I play the TT DG S-300's in my J-33's and found that the VS Proto 75's in regular flex was a better fit. It's hard to suggest the best shaft for you but for me i actually like the lighter shaft cause it has a mid-low kick. The VS Proto 85's have a mid kick with lower ball flight. Sorry I couldn't be more help but check out Aldila's site and you should fall in the R-flex range.

Mike

I play the TT DG S-300's in my J-33's and found that the VS Proto 75's in regular flex was a better fit. It's hard to suggest the best shaft for you but for me i actually like the lighter shaft cause it has a mid-low kick. The VS Proto 85's have a mid kick with lower ball flight. Sorry I couldn't be more help but check out Aldila's site and you should fall in the R-flex range.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm at that point in my golf life where I don't expect to swing any harder or faster and regular flex graphite is worth considering. I'm going to try to hit the 75 on Monday or Tuesday.

Epic Max LS 10.5

0211 5-GW

Glide 2.0 WS 54

Rally 58

Vero X1

Good luck. I turn 50 on Monday and know that feeling of bye bye swingspeed. The 75 R's did hold up when I really went after them. Keep us posted.

Mike

Have a great b-day. I hit the big 5-0 on 6-30.

I demo'd the AP1 six iron yesterday with the VS Proto-T 75 R. It was straighter, longer, higher and more forgiving that a stiff flex stock Nippon/775 six iron I used for comparison purposes. When I first looked at the AP1 head, I thought it was huge. Even so, the profile is pretty conservative so the top line and offset look reasonable at address. I got used to the look rather quickly. I loved the VS P 75 R, it was smooth to swing and more stable than I would have imagined for graphite. The AP1 is an impressive club design. Plenty of forgiveness is packed in that big head, but the classic profile makes everything look proportional. This set is worth considering if you don't like the look of offset, but want game improvement performance.

Epic Max LS 10.5

0211 5-GW

Glide 2.0 WS 54

Rally 58

Vero X1

Hey, I have the exact same experience as you :clapping:

I just received my set a few days ago (with ProjectX 5.5 shafts) and played the first round with them !!! Never felt irons so easy to hit and with better "immediate" results !!! I could really attack the greens without any fear !!

I owned MX-23, X-18 and MP-60 before and I have to say the AP1 are the ones who blown me away the most so far !! Also, they are even softer than my forged clubs lol ...

One thing though, I noticed that the irons scratch REALLY easily and this concerns me !!! I played one round with them but they look like they have been played a month :)

Is that the same for you guys ?

Wow, I just read all the previous reviews for the Titleist AP1's and I have to say that I had a completely different expereince with this set. I have been anxiously awaiting my first opportunity to hit this set as I really like the way they look and set up.

I went to the World Golf Village in St. Augustine, FL where you can basically set up your own personal "demo day". After spending 3 hours hitting every club that interests me, I was most dissapointed in the AP1. This club lacked the feel and feedback that I was looking for. I am a 10 handicap and am really trying to get into the single digits. This club does not feel like the one that would help me get there.

Make no mistake...it was a nice club that treated mishits very well. The problem was that my good shots felt exactly like my mishits. I look for a "buttery feel" at impact, and this club felt more like slamming a brick into the ball.

On a side note, I did hit the AP2 and found it to feel much better being that it is forged (not cast). I would have bought those, but I don't think my game is ready for the players clubs.

Wow, I just read all the previous reviews for the Titleist AP1's and I have to say that I had a completely different expereince with this set. I have been anxiously awaiting my first opportunity to hit this set as I really like the way they look and set up.

I went to the World Golf Village in St. Augustine, FL where you can basically set up your own personal "demo day". After spending 3 hours hitting every club that interests me, I was most dissapointed in the AP1. This club lacked the feel and feedback that I was looking for. I am a 10 handicap and am really trying to get into the single digits. This club does not feel like the one that would help me get there.

Make no mistake...it was a nice club that treated mishits very well. The problem was that my good shots felt exactly like my mishits. I look for a "buttery feel" at impact, and this club felt more like slamming a brick into the ball.

On a side note, I did hit the AP2 and found it to feel much better being that it is forged (not cast). I would have bought those, but I don't think my game is ready for the players clubs.

Hit the clubs that you like and feel comfortable with, do not get caught up in the marketing and magazines saying that this is a "players club" and this is for only "single digit golfers". A players club is a 2 iron from 1975... todays clubs are all pretty easy to hit with the right shaft. The AP2 is a great iron and actually very forgiving as long as you are a pretty good ball striker.

• 1 month later...

Just want to cast my vote for a great iron. I know Titleist doesn't want to say it but these are the best irons they have made for the mid-capper. The AP1s replaces my 775.CBs and there is no comparrison. This is a very forgiving, sweet feeling club and they inspire confidence that is so essential to the mental part of the game. Now if I only can get the physical part going!

Thanks Titleist for making a club for everyman, even if you don't want to admit it.

• 2 weeks later...

Still loving mine and it has been 3 months.

Titleist, way to go with the AP 1"s.

A long home run!

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

does anyone know if those graphite aldilas would be too soft for someone with a 90+ swing speed

I would say in Stiff fex you would find them very stable.

I have a 85 max iron clubhead speed, and my Aldila "by yiu" regular flex graphites are the most sable and predictable graphite iron shafts ever. I have played a great deal of graphite over the last 12 years.

Try them in stiff and get blown away.

I was thinking about getting a set of these but the V grooves put me off. Has anybody had a problems with them.

U grooves were introduced a few years ago to replace V grooves. Apparently U grooves perform better in the wet and spin more.

The AP1s have U grooves. Its the AP2s that have V grooves.

I'm now getting approaches with my 7 iron to back up on the green which is new.

does anyone know if those graphite aldilas would be too soft for someone with a 90+ swing speed

I would say in Stiff fex you would find them very stable.

I have a 85 max iron clubhead speed, and my Aldila "by yiu" regular flex graphites are the most sable and predictable graphite iron shafts ever. I have played a great deal of graphite over the last 12 years.

Try them in stiff and get blown away.

I was fitted for AP1s 2 months ago. Tried them with Dynamic gold HL, and then project X 5.5, then Nippon 970. With all steel shafts, 6i swing speed was about 85-86. Club felt good but all had irritating fade. Then tried graphite Aldila Proto-T 75 stiff. 6i swing speed went to 92-93 with less effort and smoother swing. Been laser straight to slight draw ever since in 5i-PW. Would say Aldila proto-t 75 stiff is plenty stable in the low to mid 90's. If your in upper 90's you could also try the proto-t 85's.

Also, I think the traditional complaint about graphite iron shafts being too inconsistent is quickly becoming a thing of the past. After 6 rounds and multiple DR sessions I haven't noticed any dispersion problems.

Started getting a few to many unintended draws, so went back to the DG HL shafts and will report on the success I have back to the stock steel shafts

• 2 weeks later...

Well I always get a little peeved when people do great 'reviews' in the equipment section, and don't bother to post in the 'review' section. So here goes my experience for all to see....

I've been golfing a lot more than usual lately and improving but as a result of the extra golfing, I've been killing my hands with my rifle shafted Cally X-20 tours. Nice irons but I decided to get into a graphite model that I could _trust_.

For over a month (actually more like 6-8 weeks to be honest) I actually demo'd club after club after club. I'm a medium-highish handicapper but ball striking isn't really my biggest problem. My short game is admittedly weak.

To qualify the 'right' iron for me, I wanted something with maximum heel to toe forgiveness of off center hits while retaining a 'modest' look, and not a ton of offset.

For my weeks of testing I reluctantly tried the Titleist AP1 against many great brands. I say reluctantly because of the 'reputation' Titlelist have of being unfriendly to the new/aspiring golfer. But week after week I had a lot of enjoyment out of the club but didn't want it to be a one hit wonder, and would defer my decision for another test.

So I couldn't deny that they seem to fit my criteria the best. Forgivenss, nice looking, not 'shovels', and maybe best of all I love the Aldila Proto -by you shafts which are the stock shaft in the Titleists! Awesome bonus.

My order is in with Titleist and I promise to do a follow up after a few rounds. I am not foreign to the concept of a 'honeymoon' period and people have warned me they may be a harder club to hit.

I put these up against:

PING G10- Way too much offset and the head is massive. Forgivenss is ace though.

NIKE - 4D. I don't know what it is, but I simply can't get along with NIKE irons. Couldn't get into these, or CCI's, or whatever you can think of (and I'm a big NIKE fan yet).

Cally X-20- Large sweet spot, large head and seemingly massive offset.

Burner Irons- Couldn't get past the look at address. The uber jacked lofts on the Burner XD's were perposterous IMO. Did not get a sense of as much off center forgivenss on these.

Those were the top contenders and admittedly a LOT of this becomes personal as many of the irons nowadays kick butt. Hopefully I made the right decision. :clapping:

• 1 month later...

Well I said back in July I would come back and give a fair assessment after the 'honeymoon' period.

Simply put these irons do exactly as advertised, and don't look bad while doing it. This is coming from a die hard NIKE fan too. I kid you not when I say I haven't found an iron that gives as much off center hit forgiveness as the AP1. As much as I like NIKE, in all honesty I don't think they have an iron with this level of forgiveness in the entire line.

If you're a fan of the "maltby playability factor" (MPF rankings), or not, there is undeniable proof that the AP1's have a very large sweet spot, and it's fairly centered on the club face. I had a couple of rounds of toeing irons a while back, and was still floored at the 'recovery' these irons will make of a poor swing. Make no mistake, pulls are pulled, and pushes are pushed... but off center forgiveness is ace.

I was maybe most concerned about going 'graphite'. The Aldila Proto-by you is definitely a solid choice and even though it's "made for Titleist' you do not get a sense of any corners being cut on quality. The entire set is very consistent and forgiving.

Distance is a bit more (1* stronger than old school irons) but the lofts are not nearly as jacked up as some of the 'distance' irons touted by other companies.

I have tied my low round of the year (my driving is suspect as I write this), and I haven't felt more comfortable with a 4 iron this year off the deck, with any other brand. Yesterday I tried a shot from the woods that required a massive draw to save the hole, and pulled it off. These irons give me the confidence to try this stuff.

I'd finish by saying these irons are for anyone that will not be offended by a non-blade style club head. Anyone who says you can't work the ball with these is full of it. Even at my skill level I can hit low balls, draws (more easily that fades) and fades. Club face control feels effortless. Some 'G.I.' clubs have you guessing at face position.

This is the first time this season I've had irons in my bag for 2 months (no joke) and have still no intention of replacing them. I am so impressed at this point, I will give the Drivers a look this fall.

• 1 month later...

Promised an update on going from the Aldila graphite to the TT DGHigh Launch S300.

Prefer the steel. Great control, and they feel firm and lively. The kick point lower and the tip not as stiff as a normal Dynamic Gold produces excellent loading and kick in the shaft for me.

The clubheads are the most forgiving heads made by anyone ever.

These are the set for the under 20 handicap.

Home run Titleist.