Titleist AP1

G.Review

I just got the AP1's with the stock stiff shaft. All I can say is wow! I play to about an 8 hdcp and these are by far the best irons I've ever owned. I am generally a good iron player and these definitely helped me hit even more greens. The feel very soft to me and fly a long way. The ball flight is really solid. I got these at Golfsmith and the gentleman who helped me was awesome. I demoed about a dozen irons and it was really no contest. These clubs fly straight when necessary but can be worked if desired. I hope this not just a honeymoon phase, but I am so excited about these clubs. I love their look- they truly instill confidence for me at address and their performance is 2nd to none. I can't say enough about this set of irons. I got the 4-gw with s300 shafts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I 've been playing R7 XD's for the last three seasons. Has anyone played or tried both and can give me a comparison? I am starting to feel that my game has advanced enough where I don't need THAT much offset but can still use some forgiveness. Would the AP1's be the next step up or just a worthless babystep?

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

• 1 month later...

Went to PGA Tour Superstore today to pull the trigger on these. Currently playing Miz MX-23 (for about the last 4 seasons...my average score is low 80s). After swapping out a few AP1/AP2/shaft combos here we determined that the TT regular shafts were better for me.

I hit the AP2 exactly the same as I'm hitting the MX-23 (distance, spin, dispersion). The AP2 was 2deg flat just like my MX-23s. I found that the AP2 gave less feedback that the MX-23. The AP2 felt a lot lighter than the MP-23 probably due to the smaller clubhead.

The AP1 also gave me about about the same numbers as the other clubs except my shot pattern was about twice as tight. My sidespin numbers was about half of what it was with the other two clubs. The result was about 4 yards off line VS 7 yards off line in the AP2 and MX-23.

While I typically just play for a slight fade f I can work the ball left if I need to (however it's a crap shoot on if I get a draw or a hook so I don't do it much). I was able to curve the ball easier w/ the MX-23 and the AP2 than the AP1 (no surprises there). Admittedly, I am not one to be handing out props/criticism on a clubs workability.

In the end I liked both the AP1 and the AP2. I couldn't justify spending money on the AP2 b/c the stats were identical. Now the AP1 were more consistent and don't care if I lose workability b/c I just don't play that way but I'm still thinking if I should drop $700 for a a little tighter shot pattern. I'll sleep on it for a few nights b/c I really want to get new sticks but if it aint broke.... Would welcome any advice.

Sonny,

For what it's worth, I just bought a used set of the AP1s on ehay and I could not be happier. I was hitting the Macgregor MTs but they were probably a bit more like the AP2s, for a little better ball striker than me. The AP1s go just as far and straighter more of the time. I had the Nippon NS Pro 950 in the Mts and it's a great shaft, but the TT HL suits me better. And I really appreciate the forgiveness. For a bit over 400.00 it was a great deal and I have the Macgregors for when I get better.

• 5 weeks later...

Looking for a new set of irons. I tried the AP1's and liked how they felt. Currently I am a 16 handicap. I'm getting to the point where I am starting to draw and fade the ball on demand. I know these are forgiving clubs. What is the workability with them? Will I be able to draw or fade them? Obvioulsy if I wanted more workable clubs I would try the AP2's. At a 16 however that is pushing my luck. Are these clubs more of the no matter where you hit it on the face its going straight???

Thanks in advance.

ive had my AP1's for 3 rounds now and love the extra distance im getting rather than my 704.cb's. great trajectory and i absolutly LOVE the feel hitting them. the sound and feel soo solid when striking the ball knowing you got a good hit on them. A+ in my book and plan on keeping them for a great while!

side note, i switched from stiff to regular and noticed my ball going straighter. i guess i didnt have a fast enough swing for stiff.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

• 2 months later...

I think I have found the set to help me get to the next level. I am currently sitting on a 2.4. Could never seem to get it down from there. I found myselp giving up shots because of a mis hit iron. I can still work the ball nicely (not a 25 yard draw or fade) but straight is great. If you strike the ball well, it still flies like a players club, but when you miss (and you will) it doesnt hurt as bad. I am trying to save 1/2 shot here and there. And the AP1's do it. Just because you are good enough to hit a players club, doesnt mean you have to. I have been playing blades for years and was happy with it. It was my few misses that were killing me. They look big at address but i have gotten used to it. I would recommend these clubs to anyone. And if not these, another GI club. Lower score are a little more fun.

Well, I have to be honest. I gave these the top rating, even though I have only hit the 4 iron, and I don't play them. I play the AP2.

My reasoning. It was one of the easiest to hit 4 irons I have ever hit, and it didn't have a ton of offset. Very easy to get airborne, just wanted to go straight. Felt great too, I am assuming due to the dampening technology that was used. Very soft feel for a cast iron, felt like my forged AP2.

This will be an playable iron for anybody, in my opinion. The reason to move from these to an AP2 or more of a blade type iron, would be someone who wants to work the ball a little bit, as well as someone who wants to better control the trajectory.

If you just want to hit it straight, high, and far, these will be great for you if properly fit.

Kevin

+1 here. I was first fitted for a set of AP1s but ended up with the AP2 because at address, I prefer the thiner top-line, the hidden back cavity of the long irons and the feed back on where the ball made contact to club face. That said,. the AP1's felt really great for a cast set, sounded soft and felt soft, like forged irons and can get the ball up easily and very straight. Also has good distance due to the stronger loft. I think these can be played by almost anyone.

On bad swing days, I regret not getting the AP1's....

Been looking for a new set of irons for a while and was about to pull the trigger on a set of TM Burners (09 model) but the large off set in the mid and long irons was putting me off - I could hit them for miles but mostly with an unwanted large draw / hook.

Visited my course pro again and he watched me hit the Burner a few times before taking it off me and putting the AP1 in my hands - Hold on I said, I'm not a single figure player (I play off 18.4), but he said just go ahead and hit them. I proceeded to pearl almost every ball down the fairway with just a hint of fade.

I've always wanted the forgiveness of a GI iron (top line cavity back etc) but hated large offset on clubs. I've had Macgregor M455s, Ping G5s, Mizuno MX900s, Dynacraft Prophets and none of them have ever made me feel confident over the ball.

However the AP1s just seem to suit my eye and swing.

I was concerned about the DG HL R300 shaft hitting the ball on a high / ballooning flight (I've never had a problem getting the ball up in the air with an iron) and so hit the DG R300s as well and what surprised me was that the DG R300s hit the ball higher for me with more ballooning. While the DG HL hit it high, it was a more penetrating flight than the DG - strange but as the pro said, untill you put a shaft in the club and put it in the hands of a player you never really know what the true ball flight is going to be.

Anway - loving the AP1s and now considering getting some VD Spin Milled wedges to match - maybe a 54 and 58.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 degree (Ping Tour 65 R)
Titleist 913 FD 15 degree (Diamana S+ stiff)
Mizuno JPX EZ 19 & 22 degree Hybrid (Stock stiff)
Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 5-PW (NSPro1150 S)
Cleveland 588 RTX - 50, 55, 60 (DG S400)
Custom Lajosi JJ501

I ordered my AP1's 3 weeks ago from Golf Smith. Got them 2" flatter. I got an email from Golf Smith saying the club is on back order and won't be shipped until May 14th. (basically 6 weeks after I ordered them). Anyone else have a problem with Titlest being slow on custom fitted clubs? I am going to call Golf Smith in a bit and try to find out whats going on.

Hi guys - I hope someone can offer some advice.

I have a set of Titleist AP1s that I was fitted for (visual flight measurement only - no launch monitor). I wanted a shaft that would bring down my ball flight a little as I have always hit the ball high and the AP1s are high launching (in my view anyway).

My pro had me hit the DG HL R300 and S300, with the R300 coming out best - he felt that while the ball flight was high it was not ballooning with the 6 iron. I also tried the DG R300 but that made the ball flight really balloon - strange I know given that the DG should be a low flighted shaft. Anyway he steered me away from the Project X shafts saying that he had issues with their flex reliability - he used to be a Titleist staff player but could not find a project X shaft (that was on a par with his previous Rifle shaft spec) to work in his ZB irons and so ended up with a set of Cobras, and his Titleist rep had admitted that they are having problems with the Project X shafts.

Anyway, I had wanted to try the Nippon shafts but he did not have any. My question therefore is, would either of the Nippon shafts offered by Titleist for the AP1 be a better fit (ie bring the ball flight down without losing distance)? My only concern would be that they are too light compared to the DG HL.

I'm currently hitting my 6 iron 155-160 carry (with the DG HL R300 shaft), maybe a little further when I flush it. The real problem seems to come with the 8-PW where I do set a ballooning shot that is roobbing me of distance.

I'm an 18.5 HC with a SW of about 65-75 mph with a 6 iron.

Any advice?

Any experience with the Nippon shafts in the AP1s?

Thanks

Custom Lajosi JJ501

amtrack24 - i dont tend to scoop. I had another round today and long / mid irons seemed fine. Hit them high but no loss of distance (to my eye anyway) - 4i was 190-200 yrds off a tee and 6i was 165-170 from the fairway.

The problem seems to be with the 8 (and poss 9) irons. Hit a few lovely 135 - 140 yrd approaches with the 9i to pin high (shots were high but did not balloon and it was quite windy today) but all 5 of my 8i shots only went 140yrds (145 yrds if I pearled it) (again a high flight but seemed to die at the end). PW is a nice 125-130 yrds.

Maybe its the loft on the 8i that is causing the problem - would strengthening it by a degree spoil the club?

I wish I had tried the Nippon shafts now but my pro was happy with the 6i height / ball flight during the fitting.

Custom Lajosi JJ501

no - checked it today and it looks fine.

i might take the 8 iron and get the loft checked if i have the same problem this weekend when i play again.

Custom Lajosi JJ501

Swing was a bit off over the weekend so it is probably hard to tell.

I still think there is a 'gap issue' (for me anyway) between the 9 and 8, and the 8 and 7. All the other irons have reasonably equal gaps between them.

I'ts probably just me but i think i will get the loft of the 8 iron strengthened a degree and see what happens.

Custom Lajosi JJ501

took them to the range and course today for several hours the first time (hadn't the time before to play them for a full round), WOAH! hit them faaaaaar and easy. struggeling with the 4 iron a little bit (i never owned one before, i am a mid to high handicapper) but 5-pw were just sugar. never want my sgi irons back. NEVER :D

I just got my AP1's from Titleist today. They stuck the DynaLite Gold SL R300 (E) shafts on them. Not sure why, I didn't request them...Is it the stock shaft?

before I send them back anyone have this shaft on their AP1's? How do they hit?

Obviously once I hit them, i can't return them...

I really don't want to wait another month by shipping it back to them to put the right shafts on.

Just played my first round with my AP1's here are my thoughts:

Ball flight is def high which I like, basically screwed when its really windy out though.

Get me within 150 yards and these clubs are lethal. Clubs are pretty forgiving. I can hit a draw but can't hit a fade with them.

Just a solid feeling club with good distance. About the same distance as my x20's.

Anyone start playing with changing the shafts to get the ball to a more "medium" trajectory?

My AP1s came with the stock DG HL R300 shafts. They do hit them high (a combination of the HL shaft and the club head) but they don't seem to balloon (althought I've not played them in a really strong wind yet) and I'm getting good distance (with the exception of the 8 iron).

I have True Temper TT XL shafts in my old Dynacraft Prophet irons and these do hit the ball on a lower trajectory (although that might have something to do with the club head as well) and I'm tempted to swap the 6 iron shafts in the AP1 and Dynacraft to see what change in trajectory I get against the demo AP1 in DG HL.

I will report back if I manage to make this change, although my pro was happy with the DG HL trajectory when I was fitted (in testing I tended to balloon the normal DG R300 shafts more than the HL version), so I am wondering if I should be playing about and going against the pro's advice.

Custom Lajosi JJ501

Well I broke down and ordered a set of AP1's this weekend.

I was fitted last week, tested a bucn of iron/shaft combos and the AP1's with DG S300 High Launch were the big winners.... really big winners. 15 yards more distance, and a much tighter dispersion than my current irons, and almost that much better than anything else I tested that day.

A static 6 Iron fitting gets me 2* flat and 1/2" short... lie board had me at 1* upright (63.5*), and a little shorter helped center the impact (1/4" short)... that was 9 days ago...

So yesterday I go in to order them and I hit the lie board before I order... I had been trying to minimize my draw a bit since the fitting, and was at a dead even 62.5 lie with the 6 iron... the standard spec. I went with the 1/4" short.

Another thing I noticed during my fitting was an optimim launch angle of 20.5*... and while I was hitting the AP1's pretty damned awesome, my launch angle was still a bit low, around 17*.

The AP1's are a bit on the strong side, 4i is 23* and the PW is 45*... but the gap is 50*.

I prefer a 4* gap in my wedges, I got used to 46*-50*-54*-58*.

So, I ordered the 4 through PW a degree week to get my launch angle a little closer to optimal, and space my wedge evenly.

Arrival date is estimated to me June 5th... I can't f'n wait!

I'll do review then... promise

After 3 rounds with AP1's im having same issue as amtrak in that i cant hit a fade very easy.Oh well,just aim right of the green and watch that sweet draw land on the green.Not a huge issue for me.Have to swing like Trevino to move it left to right.

Feel...Coming from Cally forged X-Tours these clubs are soft as butter.I thought they would be harder but that dampener must be doing its job.Unbelievably soft.Not much feedback on mishits.Soft for a cast iron.

Trajectory...I didnt go for the HL shafts.I had s300's before and stuck with them.My ball flight is a little higher now but not much..Very happy with S300's with this head.

Sound is very muted.All over the face.Again, i think the dampener is kicking in here.

Distance is a fair bit longer.I know the lofts are lower than my X-tours so no real suprise here.Not quite a club longer but getting close.

All in all i really like these irons.Very easy to hit and shots all seem to have same shape.