Mizuno Bettinardi Black Carbon

Mizuno Bettinardi Black Carbon

Mizuno Golf and world renowned putter creator, Bob Bettinardi, have spent the past year developing the new Black Carbon putter series with two main goals in mind; first, create a putter that gives you the confidence to make putts and second, to give the golfer even more enhanced feel on every stroke. With the new patented Feel Impact Technology Face (F.I.T. Face), this one piece 100% milled carbon steel putter delivers the feel of and insert with this amazing new face. This gives the golfer, just like PGA Tour player Luke Donald, an all new enhanced feel when putting the ball. The F.I.T Face milled area dramatically reduces the surface area of where the ball makes contact with the face and in turn delivers an extremely solid and soft feel to every putt. Moreover, the new Black chrome finish is outstanding for its glare resistance and elegant look. The new Black Carbon putters are the Bench Mark for all other putter companies to shoot for.

Features:

• 100% milled one piece carbon steel putters for ultra consistency
  • Patented Feel Impact Technology Face for unmatched solid, soft feel
  • Black chrome finish for maximum glare resistance on the green
  • True Temper steel shafts
  • Winn AVS Honeycomb Sun gold/black grips

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on putters is that you will play well with what you really, REALLY, like (for the most part). Now I have a Barbados which I really like, but I fell for the BC3.

Interestingly, when I first tried it, I wasn't so sure about it. I went back to it a few times and finally purchased one. Honestly the cost was a consideration. Having gotten it, I can say that its a great putter. I prefer face balanced, mallets, and the BC3 is that - as well as many others for that matter. I like the feel, and the yellow is not an issue - can't see it when I'm putting....

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up a BC 1 and will let you know what I think after gaming it for a spell.

Great looks and feel indeed. I agree, you can not see the face yellow at address, otherwise I would not have bought it. I can not stand to see and face insert or lines or distractions.

Callaway     Mavrik Max  Mitsubishi C-6 blue

Callaway     Epic Flash 3 fw  Even Flow 

Callaway     Epic Flash 5 fw  Even Flow  
TM               M4 (4) hyb  Atmos 

TM               M4 (5) hyb  Atmos 

Honma        TW-X  6-pw  Vizard 

TM               M5  gap w  50*  TT XP 

Ping            Glide 2.0 - 56, 60 both SS w/ AWT 2.0  

Rife             2 bar     Iomic 65 

Ever since the Cameron Studio Select, I am not a big fan of inserts.

How's BC line different from regular C line?

I am assuming the fit face insert feels very soft.

Is it as soft as Odyssey XG or a little firm soft like Cameron Studio Style?

The BC line has the fit face, and different head models than the C line, as well as the black finish

It is not a face insert, but rather a large portion of the face is milled away, so only a fraction contacts the ball. This is all carbon steel, no plastic insert.

Having hit it I would say it is somewhere between the soft solid feeling of a 100% milled betti or cameron and an insert putter, but it doesnt feel mushy like an XG

• 3 months later...

I was looking for a new putter to replace my futura. I got sold on a guerin rife 2 bar hybrid probably by watching too much TV. I played a few rounds with it and 3 putted almost every hole....I couldn't even get close. I returned the Rife and was headed for the studio style newport 2, but decided to try the BC-1. First four putts on the carpet went in. After a ton more putts, I put the Scotty back and purchased the BC-1. I knew I had 30 days to try it out. It is NOT going back. It may all be mental, but I haven't putted so well. I think its like Bettinardi said, you have to like what you are looking at when putting, and this thing looks good.

• 6 months later...

This has been my gamer for over a year now and I don't anticipate changing for many years to come. The finish is great, although it will eventually begin to wear off (it reveals a dark metal color, kinda cool).

My distance control is spot on and the sweet spot feedback is butter. You know when your stroke is pure.

The only problem with this putter is the stock Winn grip is very thin (at least for me). I installed a Cameron Full Cord in black (the Studio Select grip) with +2 wraps, and now this thing is perfect.

917 D3 9.5° (AD GP 6X), G 3W 14.5° (Rome 888), 816 H 18° (Motore), JPX 900 Tour 3-PW (S300 AMT), T7 52° and 58° (S300), Bettinardi BB0, B330S

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Anyone here gamed the BC-4 model?

What are your experiences with this model & the BC-line as a whole?

Does the color wear off on the face / sole?

What about required maintenance for the putter?

Thank you in advance. ;)

IMHO if you go with this model you'll have made a good choice. I researched for quite a while and went with the BC 4. It beat out the Newport 1.5 Studio Select. My reasons were simple. I am not a fan of the plumbers neck at all, it's way too distracting, I prefer a more fluid exchange. I wanted a solid, one piece, head with no glare and a high contrast sight line. I also wanted a heavier head weight than standard and Mizuno allows you to mix and match head weights and shafts. The visual appearance is great, confidence inspiring. I have had very good distance control which was an issue with my previous putter, a Ping B-60. The BC 4 provides excellent feedback. It's very easy to feel miss hits and learn from them. Also, pure hits feel amazingly soft. I didn't like the stock Winn grip. It felt too thin and seemed to feel very slick with minimum of persporation. I replaced it within two weeks. I haven't had any issues with the color wearing off. As far as care, I just try and avoid anything that could nick or ding it. I am sure if you ding it through the exterior coating it would probably rust like any of the other high end putters. I always wipe off any debris or moisture before putting it in the head cover. I would also keep the inside of the head cover dry. I had no difficulties in dealing with Mizuno. I ordered mine through a Mizuno account so I could get the heavier head.

I have my BC 4 in 34" with 355gm head. Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a BC 7, awesome putter. Puts a great roll on the ball, no sliding/skipping. Makes it much easier to putt an agressive line on breaking outts, or greens that have multiple grasses on them with inconsistent surfaces.

[font=georgia,serif][i][b]Taylormade M6 10.5 / Fujikura Ventus Red 50[/b][/i][/font]
[font=georgia,serif][i][b] Titleist TSi 2 Fairway 15.0 / [/b][b]Tenzei Blue 60[/b]
[b]Mizuno CLK 19 Hybrid / Tenzie Red 70
Mizuno JPX 921 HM Pro 4-GW / Project X LZ 5.5 [/b]
[b]Titleist Vokey SM8 5608M / 6012D / Dyn Gold[/b][/i][/font]
[font="georgia, serif"][b][i]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3[/i][/b][/font]
[font=georgia,serif][i][b]Taylormade TP5 [/b]
[b]The Club at Savannah Harbor, Savannah, Georgia [/b][/i][/font]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:3434100]

Picked up a brand new BC6, 34" 343 grams, for this year and after my first round I am very impressed. Distance control was spot on and it put a very good roll on the ball. The insert does not feel to soft. The only complaint as other have said is the thin grip. I think I will be replacing it with a midsize Iomic. Other than the grip the putter is fantastic. Every bit as good as previous Scottys I have played. BTW, 25 putts in my first round with it. Granted my score was not as it may seem, because a lot of the greens were one putts for par, but I am gaining total confidence with this putter.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

• 2 months later...

[quote name='mkoreiwo' timestamp='1206621064' post='989209']
My take on putters is that you will play well with what you really, REALLY, like (for the most part). Now I have a Barbados which I really like, but I fell for the BC3.

Interestingly, when I first tried it, I wasn't so sure about it. I went back to it a few times and finally purchased one. Honestly the cost was a consideration. Having gotten it, I can say that its a great putter. I prefer face balanced, mallets, and the BC3 is that - as well as many others for that matter. I like the feel, and the yellow is not an issue - can't see it when I'm putting....
[/quote]

I love my bc3 great mallet, and so soft. Stock headcover always falls off tho! Easy fix got a diff one!

• 3 weeks later...

I have the bc2 blade. the insert is not really an insert like Odyssey's, but milled carbon steel. I found i needed to be fitted to the stock putter, and now that i have, it has better balance and the toe is properly situated. it is a fast putter, meaning the ball comes off the face with decent pace. it is very good at staying on its line, and is a great lag putter. it is a great looking putter, somewhat rakish. it is definitely a well balanced putter. I wish the lovely honeycombed grip were just a tad bigger, i tend to like winn's midsize grips. this is my only problem with the putter. can be had used somewhat cheaply.
these mizuno black carbons appear to be identical to bettinardi's current black carbon releases, just no mizuno name on them...the price differences between the two models is funny to see

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series  15*

Tilteist 818H1  18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  6-GW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...