Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Select

Yeah what is that headcover about. Looks terrible in NASA silver.

Guess will will have to put out $100.00 for a custom Cameron cover.

Ah just the cost of being Cameron Junkies.

Just like spending $16.00 for one of his fabulous grips over a $6.99 lamkin!

Callaway     Mavrik Max  Mitsubishi C-6 blue

Callaway     Epic Flash 3 fw  Even Flow 

Callaway     Epic Flash 5 fw  Even Flow  
TM               M4 (4) hyb  Atmos 

TM               M4 (5) hyb  Atmos 

Honma        TW-X  6-pw  Vizard 

TM               M5  gap w  50*  TT XP 

Ping            Glide 2.0 - 56, 60 both SS w/ AWT 2.0  

Rife             2 bar     Iomic 65 

I just got back from the practice green. I was putting with the SSL and an old Ping anser with a sound slot. The Studio Select has way better feel and distance control. The grip on the Select is the absolute best putter grip I've ever used.

I love this putter, I now just need to figure out how to reduce some of the glare.

JasonR5, what length and weight are you using?

I just got back from the practice green. I was putting with the SSL and an old Ping anser with a sound slot. The Studio Select has way better feel and distance control. The grip on the Select is the absolute best putter grip I've ever used.

I love this putter, I now just need to figure out how to reduce some of the glare.

• 3 weeks later...

I love this putter, just one problem though. They shine way to much and Titleist doesn't seem to want to offer a larger grip. The grip can be easily fixed by ripping it off for a Winn AVS Grip (though I am a titleist snob and would prefer theirs). The glare problem stops me from ever buying a cameron though. My redwood anser is bad enough. Does any one know if they will ever offer this putter with an oil can finish? I love the look of the Circa 62's but the weight of the Studio Selects. Not to mention I can change the weight.

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks like I wasn't the only one having the "glare" issue. It would be nice if they'd offer it in darker finish. I'm having this done to mine however the service isn't offered at the studio, so I went elsewhere. I will post pics (Flat stick thread) as soon as I get it back. Should be soon.

Since then. I've been puttting with a 97 CLN and it just does not have the stability of the select.

I only had it for a couple weeks before I sent it off. So I can't say I've had long enough to really tell if it's going to be "the one", OTR for me. I'll say it as I said before though- from the first ball I hit with it, it felt solid, predictable and forgiving.

JasonR5, what length and weight are you using?

I missed this question. I play standard 340 gram wt at 35" length if you're still wondering.

The glare problem only bothers me in the early afternoon when it's very sunny. Other than that I'm still loving this putter. As established in another thread my sweet spot does seem to be a little towards the heel, but this doesn't bother me, I'm playing a Newport.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my 34" Studio Select Newport 2 with 2 x 15g 350g head. Love the feel. Best way to describe the feel is it's crisp yet full of softness. Exellent distance control and consistency for me since coming from an insert putter. I had the opportunity to try both the Heavy (360g) version and 350g stock and prefer the stock. Very happy with my purchase.

I just got a 33" Newport 2 and this putter is amazing. I have always had insert putters (2 Ball SRT, What Hot, etc) I agree with everyone on the feel but what sold me was how the putter setup and felt thru my stroke. The putter just seems to guide itself, I've never had a putter feel like this in my hands.

I've never been a good putter and have had many rounds it 36+ putts. I was properly fit for this putter and my first round with it was 29 putts.

• 2 weeks later...
I love my new putter but it will blind you when the sun hits it just right. Anyone else notice that with these putters? :rolleyes: :beee:

Let me start off by saying, "I love this putter!" Mine is a bone-stock 35" Studio Select Newport 2 Mid-slant. Just don't want anyone to call me a Cameron basher...

This is my third Cameron and all have been in the Platinum finish. Every time I buy one I tell myself I can live with the glare problem. But, last week something happened that had never occurred before and it took me a moment to figure out just what went wrong.

It was on the 11th hole, sometime around noon, and I had a 30' up hill putt for birdie. The sun was at full strength, just overhead, and I had been dealing with the minor glare problem off the putter's top-line without too much difficulty all morning. As I went to stroke my putt, for some reason I unconsciously shut my eyes and scuffed the putter into the green about 1" behind the ball on my thru-stroke; the ball went about 6 feet and then rolled back to my feet. My playing partners just stood there in amazement and couldn't say anything; I was flabbergasted... WTF?!

This really shook me up as I am a pretty good putter and couldn't figure out what would cause me to do something like that; I called it a "putter shank" for lack of a better term. On the 16th green I finally figured out what happened when I involuntarily shut my eyes again on a practice stroke. The intensity of the sun's reflection off the top-line of the putter was so great that I shut my eyes! Holy moly!

Ever since I've been very careful to keep my eyes steady and not let the glare cause a recurrence, but it is a little unnerving. I'm thinking of putting a piece of clear tape on the top-line to try and disperse the reflection. I've seen some really nice refinishes (darker nickel) on the board and may have to try one if this continues.

Despite this problem I'm still not giving up the putter! It rolls the ball SO nice and true!

Just thought I would chime in with my two cents...

• 3 weeks later...

Waited until I had several rounds with the SS in before I posted a review, so here goes.

I had started my career with blade putters (mostly Ping), and had switched to mallet putters within the last few years (2-ball and Red-X). After much research and debates, I decided to go back to blade putters.

I decided to see what the best blade putter there was on the market, and this was at the top of the list. After several sessions at my local Golfsmith, I decided on the Newport 1.5.

Fast forward to today, and I'm still in love with my Studio Select. Very nice balance and a great feel are the things that I keep coming back to. It reminds me of a great set of blades (MP-33's, if you will) when you hit the sweet spot.

Can not give it a better rating - 5/5.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After 4 rounds with my Fastback my putting has been 4-6 putts better per round. Maybe it's just the confidence factor or how well I rolled it during my fitting but it feels like any putt I don't make will end up a tap in. I really like the weight and I just smooth in those pesky 3-5 footers now like crazy. I hope the honeymoon never ends.

Also, yes the head cover is lame but who cares? Head covers should be customized to reflect your personality anyways :good:

Anyone know for certain if the Scotty Cameron 34" Studio Select Newport 2 with a weight gram for both heel and toe at 15 grams will be for the overall head weight?

And does the 34" come standard with the 0 gram weights both heel and toe?

Anyone that knows this fact for certain would clarify the putter I would like to get.

Please provide any direct links if applicable.

thanks again.

Anyone know for certain if the Scotty Cameron 34" Studio Select Newport 2 with a weight gram for both heel and toe at 15 grams will be for the overall head weight?

And does the 34" come standard with the 0 gram weights both heel and toe?

Anyone that knows this fact for certain would clarify the putter I would like to get.

Please provide any direct links if applicable.

thanks again.

The weight for a standard 34" studio select newport 2 is 350 grams (15 gram weights installed which is standard). Additional 10, 20 & 25 gram weights available for this model.

http://www.scottycameron.com/putters/puttermodel.aspx?id=49

Handicap:  3

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up a used mint condition Scotty Cameron studio select Newport 2.6 35" for Christmas. No cover. I must say I am very impressed. The first 3 putts I played with it on the practice green from 10 feet, breaking and downhill, I MADE !

The non offset head takes a minute or two to get used to, and I played around with ball position until I was really comfortable but first round played was great.

• Distance control is excellent.
  • Aim is a cinch.
  • Solid feel.
  • Excellent grip- best EVER !
  • Confidence inspiring in its simplicity.

I was using the Studio Style Newport 2 35". which I liked. My distance control with it was also excellent but every other week my confidence on the short ones was weak. I also have a 35" Seemore putter which was the opposite of my Newport 2, short ones were easy, distance control was poor, especially on the longer putts. I just couldnt consistently hit the sweet spot. Once spring hits - Ebay here they come !

I have been waiting for my local store to get these back in (only had standard Newport). I have just made a purchase, a 34" Newport 2.

The funny thing is I tried one a little while back and liked it, but could not justify the price. Ever since I have tried various putters and not had much luck finding the right one. I resorted back to my Bobby Grace MOI 6.4 GT (centre shaft, no offset) at the weekend and putter well, but my forward press delofted the clubface too much. With the offset of the Newport and the 4 degrees of loft it works fantastically.

I have owned one scotty cameron American Classic III, it was stunning it I had to sell it.

I am looking forward to my next round already!

Cobra F Speed 10.5 ProLaunch Blue tipped 1/2"
Benross V5 18* Accra Dymatch RT
Ping i20 4-Pw CFS S
Titleist Vokey 52* DG S200
MD Beryllium 56* PX flighted 6.0
Seemore FGP Brass (black finish)

I had a Newport 2. Switched to the Squareback. Loving it. The Squareback is so easy to align, and I've lost no control and feel from the switch.

Titleist TSR-2 10.0 (D-4), GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Titleist TSR-2+ 13.0 (A-4), Project X HZRDUS Red CB 60 6.0

Titleist TSR-2 16.5 (A-1) and 21.0 (A-1), Project X HZRDUS Red CB 60 5.5
Titleist 2021 T200, 4-AW, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist Vokey SM9, 54.10-S and 58.10-S TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Special Select, Newport 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was a long-time skeptic of the Studio Select series. For some reason, I always preferred a one-piece milled putter, as I thought it would be more solid and stable. However, after trying out the new Studio Selects in the store, I had to have one.

I was really surprised at how soft and solid this putter felt, particularly for a stainless steel putter. The shop had a Gun Blue Newport 2, so I tried it with a 33/360 Newport 2 side-by-side. Much to my surprise, the Studio Select felt softer than the Gun Blue. Much of this might have had to do with the greater headweight, but nevertheless, I was completely surprised because I expected the Studio Select to be much clickier than the Gun Blue. It wasn't, and I like that.

I've also owned a 350g Mil-Spec, and I thought the Studio Select was softer and less clicky than that putter, too. This was completely different than my expectations.

There are a few things I'm not crazy about with the putter, though. First, I don't get the "high toe" design. I had previously never had a problem squaring my club to the ground with a flat top line, but now I find myself second guessing my setup with the high toe. I would have preferred Scotty leave the toe alone, and instead encourage people to get properly fitted to help fix toe-raising problems rather than engineering an optical fix into the club.

Second, the grip and headcover aren't for me. In my experience, red Cameron grips get slick really quickly. And that headcover is probably the second worst OTR headcover, right behind the Studio Style. It's certainly eye catching, so I'll give it that (but it kind of screams "Steal me!" if you, like me, play municipal courses). A black headcover with red dots would have been a better design. Still, both the grip and headcover are easy to change, so that's not a huge deal.

Third, it'd be nice if we could have a classic design or two that's not based on a Newport (e.g., Laguna, Napa, Del Mar). I don't think the Fastback and Kombi count--not classic enough for me.

Overall, Scotty has really developed a winner here. The interchangeable weights make this easily the best OTR since the Mil-Spec line, and probably in the top 3 of all-time OTR releases.

IMG_3876.jpg

IMG_3877.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

IMG_3878.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
The Studio Select does not come with a Divot Tool.

Thanks goodness it does not. It was a feature I could not stand on the other

previous Camerons with the two slots in the headcover that never held the tool properly.

I would rather have a solid headcover with no slots in it for a divot tool.

A small flat repair tool in my pocket is the only way to go for players.

Cameron divot tools are gimicky to me. I aways gave mine away back when

I played a model that came with the putter headcover that had that feature.

How about the new alignment aid by Cameron for placing behind the ball as a marker?

C'mon that is real gimicky too. A coin for a marker and the balls have line's stamped on

them know to take away the sharpie line. What else could you want?

These SS putters are the real deal, arguably the best Cameron has made in 10 years or so. Just cover it up with the original Cameron the Art of Putting cover

you can get off eBay... and do these great flatsticks proper justice.

Callaway     Mavrik Max  Mitsubishi C-6 blue

Callaway     Epic Flash 3 fw  Even Flow 

Callaway     Epic Flash 5 fw  Even Flow  
TM               M4 (4) hyb  Atmos 

TM               M4 (5) hyb  Atmos 

Honma        TW-X  6-pw  Vizard 

TM               M5  gap w  50*  TT XP 

Ping            Glide 2.0 - 56, 60 both SS w/ AWT 2.0  

Rife             2 bar     Iomic 65 

• 3 weeks later...

:clapping: Ok its time for a drastic change & this is one I should have made sooner. I went thur so many different putters thinking that buying a mallett type putter would help but it was hard trying to judge my distances. I made the mistake in selling my SC Newport Detour 2 putter for a TM Spyder. Oh well now for something Ive never experimented with & that is a center shaft putter as I was tired of inserted putters as well.

I ended up buying SC Newport 2.6 & I can't believe how nice the ball rolls off the face & what a great feel. It seems much easier to align up my putts as Im not saying I will sink that many more putts as that all depends on a number of things. So no matter how nice this putter looks or feels it can't help me to read the greens but this wand is as close to being the perfect putter out there as nothing else looks as nice as this. So for as spending as much as I did I know its going to be a worthy purchase as it will be the club I will be using the most so Im not going to consider anything else but a Scotty as no other putter makes putting as easy as they do & fun AGAIN. This is one club here to stay in the starting line-up for the all of this year & the only thing I ever will alow to replace my Scotty Newport 2.6 will be another Scotty.

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9* BlackOut Edition w/ Fujikura Blue Ventus TR

Titleist TSR2+ 13* with HZRDUS 5.5 Black 4G 60

PING G425 5W and 7W Alta 65

PING i525 6-PW w/ UST Recoil Smacwrap 780 F3  

Vokey SM9 50*/56* 

ODYSSEY Putter EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 grip

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Putter w/BGT Stability Tour Polar shaft 32" Superstroke grip (back up)

I just bought a new SC Newport 2.6 & rolled the 1st putt in 20ft away for a par...wow left to right break mid way too. I ended up only shooting a 76 as I had 25 putts. I'm very pleased as I had no sleep the night before as I had a choice sleep after work or play golf. I made the right choice as its raining today. I hit my irons poorly as that part of my game did suffer as my putter bailed me out.

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9* BlackOut Edition w/ Fujikura Blue Ventus TR

Titleist TSR2+ 13* with HZRDUS 5.5 Black 4G 60

PING G425 5W and 7W Alta 65

PING i525 6-PW w/ UST Recoil Smacwrap 780 F3  

Vokey SM9 50*/56* 

ODYSSEY Putter EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 grip

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Putter w/BGT Stability Tour Polar shaft 32" Superstroke grip (back up)

• 3 weeks later...