2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Are you allowed to drive a golfcart ?

stickman

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For you to be allowed to drive a golf cart is up to the rules and regulations of the golf course you are playing. For your father to appeal this ruling is totally up to him.

Now as far as juniors getting more or less practice time, with or without carts is debatable. If I had any say so in so far as you riding or walking, then you would be walking. Leg strength, stamina, cardiovascular conditioning and walking to your next shot while contemplating your second shot, to me is quite important, it helps you to develope the mental side of the game. But then again, I guess I'm just old fashion. :)

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

the reason that you cant drive the golf cart is the insurance policy of the club. it was a week b4 i was 16 and they were still bitchin that i was drivin around in a golf cart. so gl appealing that bc they wont budge bc of the insurance policy if anything were to happen you wouldnt be covered and theyd be SOL. and im in FLA so im pretty sure your in the same situation. GL.

my country club that i play at has a rule that junior members are not allowed to ride carts, unless their parents are members or something, basically me and my friend are real good but cant afford the price so they designed a special junior membership for certain players who have promising talent and what not but yeah they dont let us ride carts. Its screwed up, because im 17 and got my full drivers license not just my permit, my full license, but im still am not allowed to ride a cart....:)

nah man I walk maybe 60% of the times but in Miami man it gets TOO HOT to walk the course

If you are after Tiger, like you say in your signature, hadn't you better get to walking more? I'm not sure but I don't think Tiger rode in a cart very much when he was a junior golfer.

Actually, young guys and gals can do as they choose, without any thoughts as to what I think or say. In my area, all of the above average junior players walk and carry their bags, and in any weather. It seems to me these young athletes are mentally, and physically conditioning themselves better than the cart riders are. But then again, what do I know? :)

Dave Whitlam Anser 

I work at the golf course, I clean carts, work proshop, and pick the range, so 2 of those 3 jobs that I am doing require me to drive a golf cart. I was 14 when I started work last year, and I am now 15. I play in a TON of tournaments during the summer, so I like to walk, even though anytime I want, I could grab a cart, they even gave me my own ClubCar key to put on my key ring, but I still choose to walk. Sure, when I'm just going to the range, I'll grab a huge basket, throw it on the pasenger side, throw my golf clubs on the back and go, OR if I get out of work early, and I have say an hour to squeeze in nine holes I'll grab a cart and whip around for a quick nine. I work at a public course, so it's not that hard to get out, say if I work the morning shift, it starts at 6:30, I'll get out there at 5:30, work on my short game for an hour, and then during my break I'll go hit some balls for hour before my shift gets out. During the afternoon when I get out at 1:30 I'm obviously going to stay there and either go play or work on my swing at the range with my pro, so if I decide to go play, I think there's nothing better then to go and walk 18 holes and breathe in the fresh air all the way around. I love my exercise, so I promised myself that I wouldn't take advantage of having a cart privelage.

I think it's okay for a junior to ride a cart once and a while, whether it's your second eighteen of the day, aslong as you've gotten a sufficient amount of exercise that day. Sure, if you guys rode a cart you may be able to play 27 opposed to 18, but why 'practice' under a different condition than you would in a tournament. I like to go out there every round I play and act like it is a tournament, and say I am playing a practice round, I will take my time on each hole and maybe drop a few balls during the hole hitting shots from different areas that my tee shot may end up ect.

I agree with MrParr1Noid, "Leg strength, stamina, cardiovascular conditioning and walking to your next shot while contemplating your second shot, to me is quite important, it helps you to develop the mental side of the game." I couldn't have put it better!

Cheers guys, Bryan

No man you cant talk that smack if youve never been in Miami juring July. It reaches triple digits with HUMIDITY. Only Arizona can say crap bout that. Im walking everything now. Trust me man if its leisure golf Ill ride if its Competitive golf between peers im walking.

Here in Illinois we don't get in the triple digits that much, but we do have alot of HUMILITY. :cheesy:

I have talked with several guys from Arizona and Las Vegas, they tell me it's about the hottest place in the whole wide world next to Miami in Jurly. :)

Dave Whitlam Anser 

No man you cant talk that smack if youve never been in Miami juring July. It reaches triple digits with HUMIDITY. Only Arizona can say crap bout that. Im walking everything now. Trust me man if its leisure golf Ill ride if its Competitive golf between peers im walking.

I wasn't talking smack, I was just giving you my opinion and view on the subject, which is what we are supposed to do on this forum right?

Anyways, I do know what it is like to be in the triple digets and humid, because I spend about three weeks of my summer and vacations down in Louisiana, and yes it does get in the upper 90's, and it's darn humid, so don't hold that against me. I did say in my post that it is okay to ride, aslong as you get some exercise later that day, you know? Hey, in the summers, go work out for an hour or two come home take a nice cold shower and go out and have a nice relaxing round of golf, whether it's riding or walking. I guess that's just me, I like to be healthy, and I am sure you do too. So just take it or leave it, I just wanted to express my view on the subject.

Have fun all you guys in FLA :cheesy: I'm sitting up here in Maine, watching the snow outside, while I wish I could be :)

Later, Bryan

Cause i work at my local pro shop they give me a cart if i want one but i will only use it when im having fun. As soon as my round gets a little bit competitive i will start walking because i just feel more relaxed that way.

IMO one of the best parts of golf is that you can walk around in the nice fresh air for a couple of hours.

But in answer to your question i can get a cart if i really want one.

brent

At the course I work at the junior rate is for anyone under 18. which doesn't include the cart fee, so you aren't allowed to take a cart. The adult fee includes the cart so if you want you could pay the extra $95 if you really wanted a cart.

Normally if I'm only playing 9 or 18 holes I'll walk. If I'm playing 36 I'll usually walk the first 18 or 27 and ride the rest.

But if you're a teenager you more than likely don't have back or leg problems. Walking 6000-7000 yards with a bag on your back won't kill you. Unless its really hot out, then you just drink a little bit more water. And make sure you wear shorts.

At the course I work at the junior rate is for anyone under 18. which doesn't include the cart fee, so you aren't allowed to take a cart. The adult fee includes the cart so if you want you could pay the extra $95 if you really wanted a cart.

Normally if I'm only playing 9 or 18 holes I'll walk. If I'm playing 36 I'll usually walk the first 18 or 27 and ride the rest.

But if you're a teenager you more than likely don't have back or leg problems. Walking 6000-7000 yards with a bag on your back won't kill you. Unless its really hot out, then you just drink a little bit more water. And make sure you wear shorts.

$95 extra to take a cart!!!!?

Did I read that right?

- Bryan

I only ride in a cart when I go with my dad. But I don't like riding in a cart I prefer walking anyday. Because it gives you more of a workout but that's not why I do it. I don't like riding in a cart because I will sit down and me and I complelty lose my frame of mind. When I walk I just seem like I concentrate a lot better.

I totally agree about the mindset/concentration thing.

Way to go stickman, you have renewed my faith in the work ethics of our jr golfers. :) :cheesy:

Dave Whitlam Anser 

In Britain you need to be 17 and hold a full drivers liscence to drive a golf buggy. Not even a provissional will do, it must be a full liscence.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

Here in Illinois we don't get in the triple digits that much, but we do have alot of HUMILITY. :cheesy:

Classic! :)

:hi:

I'm 16, and I am allowed to drive a cart. BUT, I refuse to. I go out to enjoy a nice relaxing day at the course, not to speed around hitting branches and bumps. I like to take in the suroundings and the condition and hazards of the course. Walking allows me to see where I need to hit it and what the landing area looks like for next time. I like the exercise, helps me stay fit. If it weren't for golf I guarentee I'd be 50 pounds heavier than I am (150 lbs). My legs are strong enough to walk any course now. Plus, we can't use carts in tournies, so why should I use one when I practice?

The ONLY time I use one is when my friend's parents take me golfing at their club. They use carts, so i ride with them. I can't say I enjoy it though.

Plus it's hard enough for me to afford a round every week, so the last thing I'm going to do is waste an extra $14 on a cart.

Ok the heat thing. If I didn't walk all the time instead of taking a cart, it would be impossible to withstand the heat. For instance, the AJGA at Diablo Grande in Patterson, CA. It was 112* the first day and like 109* the second day. So it is for sure possible to walk in the heat. Also think of the pros walking in heat, with pants, granted they don't have to carry. Sure taking a cart might be fun and all, but walking is what preps you for tourneys.

• 4 weeks later...

for one of our HS matches we were able to take carts. the course was delayed by the workers air-ating the greens so we started in front of them on the 13 hole and were able to play with carts. they didn't care if you had a licence or how old you were. we had to call the OHSAA commish to approve it. that was the weirdest thing that i have ever experienced

• 1 month later...

The big difference between workers using carts and players using carts with individuals under the age of 18 is what type of insurance they are covered under.

A worker would be covered under the courses workers compensation insurance package while a player would be covered under a general liability form of insurance.

Workers compensation in michigan is required for all workers. General liability insurance gives the course more flexibility in terms of who and what they want to cover and by increasing the age of users for the carts they can probably save a lot of money on premiums. Probably more than what the junior cart rental would bring in for revenue.

Now, if you want to talk riding vs walking I'm a walker for the simple fact its great exercise. If you look at the statistics over the last 50 years the average American is gaining weight faster then ever before. There are more obese young kids and teenagers today then ever before. This can be tracked to some issues.

1. As a society we have become much lazier then ever in terms of physical exhertion.

2. fast food has become a staple in our daily diet. Fast food is full of fat.

3. kids don't get as much exercise as they did 30 years ago. We never had computer games, tv was limited to 4 channels at best and our parents had us outside doing different things as a family. I know this has changed alot mainly due to it now takes 2 people in the family earning a living to get by.

Boy did I get way off topic. In any event walk it will do your body good. If my neighbor who is 80 can walk 18 every day no matter what the weather is I'm sure anyone under the age of 30 better be able to walk. Unless of course they have a medical condition being treated by a Dr.

ok i'm don't ranting.

keep em in the fairway :lol:

Now, if you want to talk riding vs walking I'm a walker for the simple fact its great exercise. If you look at the statistics over the last 50 years the average American is gaining weight faster then ever before. There are more obese young kids and teenagers today then ever before. This can be tracked to some issues.

1. As a society we have become much lazier then ever in terms of physical exhertion.

2. fast food has become a staple in our daily diet. Fast food is full of fat.

3. kids don't get as much exercise as they did 30 years ago. We never had computer games, tv was limited to 4 channels at best and our parents had us outside doing different things as a family. I know this has changed alot mainly due to it now takes 2 people in the family earning a living to get by.

Boy did I get way off topic. In any event walk it will do your body good. If my neighbor who is 80 can walk 18 every day no matter what the weather is I'm sure anyone under the age of 30 better be able to walk. Unless of course they have a medical condition being treated by a Dr.

ok i'm don't ranting.

keep em in the fairway :lol:

I agree totally. Even though I have golf carts, I walk almost every time. And, unless there are cirumstances beyond your control, I think you should walk at least 75 % of the time. Walking is really a good exercise especially with a golf bag on your back.

But, if you do prefer to ride thats your choice and there isnt anything that should hold you back from riding.

Happy Putting :ok:

Big T