Driver Question - Older 350cc Head

wanna try something different
I have a real mental block when hitting any driver. I can hit the 3w very well off the tee, but the driver just doesn't seem to play well in my hands. I was thinking about trying one of the older drivers with a smaller head like a Titleist 975 or something. The 3w is good but in the wind it just rises up on me. Perhaps a smaller head will be better for me than the newer bigger heads? They are pretty cheap so I thought I'd try it. Anyone have any experience with this or know which head would be best for this?
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try the r510tp...or non tp version if you want it a little smaller still....

300 series driver was solid as well. Cost you nothing practically to give it a shot.

300 series driver w/ a stiff graf prolite. Can't go wrong.

I too can not get over the size of a 460cc head. Used a burner fairway driver forever. Friend finally convinced me to go with something with a few more cc's. That's when I tried the 300. Best thing that ever happened was when the stock shaft snapped and I had a guy throw in a graf prolite. Used it for a long time.

I've now moved into the r510tp. Also awesome.

Look no further than Titleist 983 series...

983E if you like deep faced and neutral setup

983K if you like longer heel/toe shallow face with "slight" draw bias...

Both incredibly solid and still as long as it gets when hit on the screws....

BTW: The 983E is still my all time favorite....

If you can stand a little bigger size grab a Taylor Made R510TP @ 390CC.... also DEAD SOLID....

These would be my 3 choices...

Thanks guys for all the replies. What about the 975? It seems even smaller than the 983.

Can someone also give me a little history/club lesson. I've only been playing 2 years so I know nothing other than 460cc headed drivers. I've found a lot of 975 and 983's but they all seem to be 7.5-9.5 loft. Was the lower loft the norm for these older clubs. Did these bad boys get a lot of roll?

ha! too funny! i am the same way. i have 2 3W in the bag, one for the tee, and one off the fairway. i was looking and looking, and found a 983K n craigslist for 50$. i am picking it up on thursday to give it a whack. i am very glad to have heard some people praising the club. i was a little worried picking something up that is 4-5 years old.

oh well, we'll see how it goes.

The 975D gets so much love because at the time it was golden. However, that said, it still was not forgiving by any means. It was also Gen 1 titanium (pre-beta ti, pre .83 COR). Overall, still one of the most solid clubs I ever owned.

I upgraded to a 975J and then to a 983K. Both of these clubs were significantly better than the D in terms of forgivness and distance. Feel was still hands down to the D.

If small heads are what you are looking for, a 975D or 975J are where your money should be at, as the 983K is noticably larger.

Hit on the screws, all are amazing clubs. The 983K still gets gamed as a backup driver for me at times.

To answer your questions on lofts of these clubs, these were "pre-launch monitor" clubs (well the launch monitor fad came in while the K was out) so better players still believed in lower lofts. Better players tended to migrate to Titleist clubs, hence the lower lofts. That said, if you look at most drivers 4+ years old, you will see a lot of 8.5s and even lower.

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, Ventus Black 6X 
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, Ventus Blue 7X
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19.5*, Ventus Blue 9X

TaylorMade P770 4-5, P7MC 6-PW, DG TI X100
TaylorMade MG2 50, 54, 58, DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 (2021)

Thanks guys for all the replies. What about the 975? It seems even smaller than the 983.

Can someone also give me a little history/club lesson. I've only been playing 2 years so I know nothing other than 460cc headed drivers. I've found a lot of 975 and 983's but they all seem to be 7.5-9.5 loft. Was the lower loft the norm for these older clubs. Did these bad boys get a lot of roll?

975D was a 275cc head. Most who have played it think it has the most solid sound of any titanium driver. Almost sounds like a wood wood. Hard to hit pure but great when you do. The 975J came out after the D. 312cc head. Much more forgiving and a fantastic driver. I have two still --- a 9.5* with a ProLite 35R and a 10.5* with a Rifle 6.5 steel shaft. Still like and use the 10.5*.

Been playing a Cobra 7.5 350 head for the past 4 years. I upgraded the shaft to a prolaunch Blue and get 280+ from it. works great in windy conditions. At times I need a bit more height over some trees but I rarely Crown the ball at that head size.

Tried a 10.5 460 Cobra and it balloned badly and got only 260 max from it. Too much spin.....

I have a Callaway HyperX 8.5 tour coming this week to be a replacement and I hope this will be a better controll club than the 7.5.

instead of moving backwards in time and technology with your driver, move forward with the mentality and learn to hit a current driver. There's no question that a 460 could easily be, well, easier to hit than an old 975j. I have a 975j that I can't hit to save my life. I hit my D2 so much better and further. If this was another 905r vs 907 d2 debate, I'd say keep the old if it works better in any way for you, but we're talking about a big difference in size, which has a direct relationship to increased forgiveness with the majority of people out there.

I've tried to straighten out the mental block. I simply can't. I can put the 3w 230-250yards down the fairway. I can NOT do that with the driver. Further, I can get my 3w to 105+mph on the Swing Speed Radar (average right now is 102-105) and pipe balls down the range. Give me a driver and I may get 102mph more often than not it's a mere 97 or less. Also, with the driver I have tendency to come over the top. It's not just one driver, it's multiple drivers, multiple heads, and multiple lofts. I've never hit any driver under 460cc heads.

I'm sick of trying different drivers, swings, lessons, range sessions, etc. If I can't get off the box with the 975 or 983 then I technically don't need a driver. At the end of the day, I'm long enough with a 3w to have a chance at birdie. If I can find a driver to give me that 240-270 range and to do so continually then that'll be great. Even if it is older. Maybe if I can hit well with the older one's after a couple of months I can transition to the newer ones? If these two don't work, I'll go driverless and see what happens again in 2-3 months.

Long Lives the TM R500 Series of Drivers.... :cheesy:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

I also have an old 975D with a Rifle 5.5 steel shaft ( plays much stiffer than normal due to the bore-thru head). I loved it and the Cobra SS 380 I used after it.

One thing you might consider is the shaft length. A 3 wood is a bit shorter than a driver anyway, and today's 460cc drivers are coming with 45" to 46" shafts. Perhaps a 460cc head with a slightly shorter shaft would allow better control of your swing, and at the same time give you the forgiveness of a larger head. I currently use a Cobra 400cc SZ Tour at 9.5* and a 44" NVS65s with very good results.

One thing you might consider is the shaft length. A 3 wood is a bit shorter than a driver anyway, and today's 460cc drivers are coming with 45" to 46" shafts. Perhaps a 460cc head with a slightly shorter shaft would allow better control of your swing, and at the same time give you the forgiveness of a larger head.

I've tried playing 44.5" and 44" length and the results aren't much better than 45". That's why I think it's more mental than mechanical with the driver, or the mental is overriding the mechanics.

• 1 month later...

I've gone through nearly all of the over 400cc drivers and I'm no where near as accurate or consistent with them as I was with my older 260 - 300cc drivers. I'm currently hitting my Titleist 975J, and the 400 - 460cc clubs that I have don't come close in terms of accuracy or consistency!

At the 2007 AT&T at Congressional, I was surprised to see so many tour pros with older drivers under those new headcovers! Briny Baird was using an old Taylor Made 300 series, several players had Titleist 983K's!

I personally think that we all have been the victims of the driver marketing schemes; bigger, more forgiving drivers each year at $300 - $500 a pop! Play what feels best to you and don't feel like you have to have the "hottest" new driver. I think you'll find your confidence and consistency off the tee will come back, and your scores will go down!

Wilson Staff Pd6 (410cc) can be had for peanuts these days and with the right shaft, becomes a deadly driving machine, with a very traditional shape (which I like).

(Not to be mistaken with the Dd6, which is 460cc)

Driver : Srixon Z745 10.5* Stiff / Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 Stiff
3W : Callaway X2 Hot Tour Stiff
5W : Adams XTD-ti 15* Stiff
3Hi : Adams XTD-ti 20* Stiff
4Hi : Adams XTD-ti 23* Stiff
Irons : 4-7 Wilson Staff FG Tour V2, 8-PW Wilson Staff FG59
50* : Wilson Staff PMP
56* : Wilson Staff PMP
Putter : Wilson Staff 8802

Balls : Wilson Staff FG Tour / Srixon Q Star Yellow

try the r510tp...or non tp version if you want it a little smaller still....

300 series driver was solid as well. Cost you nothing practically to give it a shot.

300 series driver w/ a stiff graf prolite. Can't go wrong.

I too can not get over the size of a 460cc head. Used a burner fairway driver forever. Friend finally convinced me to go with something with a few more cc's. That's when I tried the 300. Best thing that ever happened was when the stock shaft snapped and I had a guy throw in a graf prolite. Used it for a long time.

I've now moved into the r510tp. Also awesome.

Off topic, but you, good sir, have the funniest signature on this site.

TaylorMade SIM 9.0* Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5
TaylorMade M4 15* Aldila X-Torsion Copper 70x
TaylorMade M4 Rescue 19* Fujikura Atmos 83s

Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-PW Project X LZ 5.5

Mizuno T7 52-08 | 56-10 Dynamic Gold Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 60-12D Dynamic Gold Wedge
Bettinardi Studio Stock 7 34" 
TaylorMade TP5x

Vessel Player III Stand

I'm with ya on the over 400cc drivers. I have a TM 300 I aggresively go after and can consistlently place it in the fairway. With a 460cc if I'm aggresive I have no clue where it is going. I have to "smooth it out there" but half way thru a round I get lazy and the duck hook or huge block comes out and I'm like Duval on the tee. I also have a 340J that's a brute I enjoy hitting that's 340cc if you can find one. Not much distance loss with this one.