No Love for the Studio Style?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope to get my Newport II out onto the course this weekend. From its performance on my living room putting mat, I expect I should be pretty happy with it.

Switched from an Odyssey 2-ball mallet in hopes of getting more consistent distance control.

Ping G410 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 46.5", Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Scratch SB-1 3-4 & 6-PW Nippon Modus3 120x or Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW Nippon Modus3 125x
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I like the non paintfill as well. That is the only way I would have one on my bag. I am a big Cameron fan but, his previous Studio Style Newports were the worst graphics scheme that I have ever seen. I am now the proud owner of 3 of his Studio Selects. I think that the Studio Selects are the best OTR putter that he has ever come up with. It also is a big plus to have different lengths available in all of the models. That was a long time coming. They also feel better than any of the previous Studio Stainless models. I hope he comes out with the Fastback and Squareback putters soon.

i'm not interested in the select versions and talking about the select's is not the intent of the topic., there are plenty of other posts to talk about your LOVE for the selects..this is a sanctuary for studio styles.....

that said, the only way i would be interested in a select is if he came out with a select in the 2.5 newport...which he isn't for some reason

Out of curiosity, how did you remove the paintfill? The paint doesn't bother me, but the one with the paint removed does look pretty sweet.

Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Scratch SB-1 3-4 & 6-PW Nippon Modus3 120x or Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW Nippon Modus3 125x
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Out of curiosity, how did you remove the paintfill? The paint doesn't bother me, but the one with the paint removed does look pretty sweet.

Acetone, q-tips, toothpicks, patience and about 45 minutes.

The acetone doesn't screw up the rest of the finish if you get it on it? (Sorry, zero experience with this stuff)

I had one for a few months and sold it. It was nice, but not the greatest. Have fun in your sanctuary. Now your avatar...that's my kind of sanctuary!!!!!!!! :cheesy:

Ping g410 Lst 9* Tour 65
Ping G410 14.5* Tour 75
Ping G410 hybrid 19* Tour 85
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4-P 
Titleist SM7 F 50*/S 54*/M 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketsch

I removed the paintfill from an American Classic III that I had just using a bent open paperclip and sort of scraping it out. Worked pretty well, I was just careful not to scratch too hard.

Taylormade M6, 9.0*, Hzrdus Smoke 60 S
Taylormade SIM, 15* & 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 70 S

Callaway Apex Pro 19 23*, Catalyst 70 S
Honma TW 747V 5-10, Nippon Pro Modus 105S +1"
Callaway Jaws MD5 52* DG 115 +1"
Callaway MD4 56* & 60* DG 115 +1"
Odyssey White Hot Pro #5, 35"

Seriously, Take all of the time you are putting into your sanctaury and go trade-in that Studio Stainless for a Studio Select. You will be much happier and you will look much cooler.

Haha, not trying to bash or anything but it's funny that somebody used "looking cool" as a comparison and something you need in the game of golf. I'll admit some new equipment is always fun, but is the "coolest" looking putter making those birdies for you? I'm sure all the people rolling the Sabertooth or Spider are worried about that too... :cheesy: It's all about personal preference.

That aside, I loved my Studio Style. Contemplating getting one back again, not sure why I left it in the first place. Everyone has their hate for the insert, but I prefer that feel over the stainless models without it...aka Studio Stainless or Select for that matter. I rolled a Select a couple times, and it doesn't seem any different than a Stainless to me other than the slight appearance changes. My vote, Studio Style takes it.

Driver: Ping G30
3-Wood: Ping G30
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges: Scratch 1018
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5

You are correct. You shouldn't want to look cool. That is precisely why I said it. I have sent a number of putters back to the custom shop for different paintfill. In the end , it is all cosmetics. I wish I would have saved some money and not sent so many putters to the custom shop. I won't come out and say that the prvious Studio Stainless models sucked totally and completely. I will say it looks like he ran out of design ideas on that putter. I am talking up the Studio Selects becuase I am fair and give credit where credit is due. I also don't have a problem giving an opinion when I think otherwise. There are a ton of people who feel the same way. I think the Studio Select blows doors off of any other retail putter out there. I have seen more paintfill changes with the previous Studio Stainless than any of his other models. I am not in the minority when I say I don't care for that previous Studio models.

I like my Studio Style Newport II as well. I did have a few issues that I didn't like, the paintfill, so now I have a "naked" Studio Stylel; and the grip, I replaced with a Cameron Cord. It really is a decent putter, not the best Scotty OTR, but it does have a nice feel and a fair amount of feedback.

Ok that no paint fill might make me put mine back in the bag. I too am not a fan of the color scheme but liked the putter.

Looks like I have some work to do tomorrow!

I did the paint fill removal on my Newport 1.5. I love this putter. I have been putting everything in the past couple months with it. I would love a new Studio Select, but can't justify it right now with how I'm putting. It's like if I read it right, it goes in. LOVE IT!

By the way, if you do the paint fill removal, I recommend using a citrus based product. I removed all of the paint fill minus the sight line and it came out perfect. The citrus kind of works slower and allows you to leave the sight line if you want it. Just my 2 cents. I used this:

Lift off It's acrylic paint remover.

Edit: Here's the original post on it... Paint Fill Removal

My Newport isn't the current gamer, but it's in the rotation!

-Derk™

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3]TM M5 460 9* [/size]
[size=3]TM M1 15* (2016)[/size]
[size=3]TM GAPR Low 17*[/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3]TM P730 3-PW[/size]
[size=3]TM MG 52* SB Raw[/size]
[size=3]TM MG 58* SB Black[/size]
[size=3]Swag Handsome One Naked 35.25" [/size][/font]

By the way, if you do the paint fill removal, I recommend using a citrus based product. I removed all of the paint fill minus the sight line and it came out perfect. The citrus kind of works slower and allows you to leave the sight line if you want it. Just my 2 cents.

The acetone is really not bad to work with. The site line is still on my putter, as well as the Titleist in red on the face.