WITB? mat562...

Plain Jane. Back to Basics. etc...
I've just come across these old pictures in my photo library on my old laptop. Since I've never done a WITB I thought I'd do one now...

Crummy pics; but since nothing is particularly special you get the idea. The old living room carpet and the dog's tail are both tour issue though. Before anyone takes the mick out of the teddy bear, 1) It's not mine; 2) It stops the door colliding with the table legs when animals barge through it.

Nike Ignite 9.5 degree (pic is my old 10.5 degree that sadly broke last year) Grafalloy Blue X at 44 1/2"; D-4.

Nike T60 3 wood 15 degrees. Fuji Speeder 757 X (with the old graphics) at 42 1/2". D-4.

Irons are 3-PW retail Nike blades. Standard lofts and lies. Dynamic Gold X100 shafts, all +1/2". All are D-4, with the PW +1/2" at D-5. I either carry a 2 iron (Nike blade, same specs as the iron set) or a 1 iron: Currently a Ping Eye 2 BeCu TT DG X100 that's replaced the Eye 2+ shown. The irons all look a bit new since they were precisely that when the pics were taken. Lofts 1-LW are: 16, 20, 23, 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 56 and 60.

Sand Wedge is a stock Titleist Spin Milled 56.14, and I bag a Nike Raw Forged 60 with a bit of a trailing edge grind. Both are +1/2" TT Dynamic Gold S400s and a degree flat. Both are at D-6.

I use GP Tour Velvet Cord throughout, .580" Ribbed with 2/3 wraps under the left/right hand respectively.

Current putter of choice is a Ping Pal 34". GP Pro Score Cord grip.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

I've always preferred my clubs to be a bit on the heavier side. No idea why, it just seems to suit me better and I tend to swing smoother when I can feel the headweight more effectively. I also play 1/2" over standard (38" 5 iron etc) despite being about average height (6'00"). A slightly heavier swingweight thus pretty much comes as the norm at that length.

These Nikes (my second set) are absolutely spot on out of the box with the headweights, and were all bang on swingweight-wise. They're the first set of irons in a long time that aren't plastered in lead tape. I had a very early set of Nike blades previously that were all over the place.

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

It's D-6 with that tape on at 1/2" over. It was mega-light when I got it. Albeit it's stock, it came from another player who was playing it at D-5 at 1/2" over. It must be a light head.

It's a recent addition to the bag Paul. It replaced another old Ping (an Anser 2) and an old Newport Mil Spec that have bitted and bobbed for the last year or more.

Thus far, I can't honestly claim to be doing a Tom Watson with it; but it's holing a few.

...also that putter just screams retro, and simplicity

I am a bit of a retro throwback. And most people describe me as somewhat 'simple'. :cheesy:

The Ignite's an absolutely cracking driver. It sits nicely and is very workable. Coupled with my beloved Grafalloy Blue I get a flat flight with it, and it's as long as pretty much anything I've ever played. It'll take a remarkable driver to replace it.

I played today with a friend who's sporting irons that are literally a week old, a driver that's about a month in the bag and a 3 wood that he got on Monday. His putter and wedges are probably the oldest kit he's got - from the off-season this year.

My 1 iron and putter have a combined age of 47 I think. Albeit my irons are very new for me; at less than a year old. :good:

I played today with a friend who's sporting irons that are literally a week old, a driver that's about a month in the bag and a 3 wood that he got on Monday. His putter and wedges are probably the oldest kit he's got - from the off-season this year.

My 1 iron and putter have a combined age of 47 I think. Albeit my irons are very new for me; at less than a year old. :good:

Wow 47.. that is impressive. It must be hard to find someone that can beat that. Also, I gather from your tone that you gave your friend in the heights of modernity a good hiding today

When you see someone with a bag like that at the course you know he's straight up player.

Exactly. I've seen it happen before. You get paired up with a nice stranger, and he asks if you & your friends would like a make a friendly wager. You agree...only to see the guy pick up that bag, and not the one with the shovels sitting beside it, and heads for the first tee...ooops dead meat!! That's a very solid bag there Mat. Love it. No nonsence, straight to the point. I'm willing to bet Mat, it has helped you into you friends wallets...a time or two!!

LaTeR...pHiL.

I must admit, I'm currently ensconced on the sofa watching the end of Dirty Harry on TV whilst finishing off a rather nice bottle of something funded by my opponent after this afternoon's golf... :good:

I must confess to being helped along by a couple of outrageous strokes of fortune today though - since my opponent is a bit handy and usually prevails in our regular matches.

My old coach always used to say 'If you're ever asked to play for money by a man who's got a 1 iron, a beat-up old putter and a sand wedge with no grooves left on it.... Don't.'

Wow! In this world of modern day club hoes, you manage to stay honest, fair play to you sir...

I must say i am increadibly jelous of that bag, such a simple set up which seems to show off more than most bags on here... Increadibly understated yet i would let you play with my money on the line based on your bag alone.

Lovely stuff Matt!

Projamie

P.s. If you ever want to get rid of any of that in my lifetime, send me a PM :russian_roulette:

Cheers chaps.

I'm not really looking to change much. I probably change clubs less frequently than anyone I know. I usually game an iron set for four or five years (basically until they wear out) and I've played the same model driver for about 4 years now (albeit I had to replace the head due to breakage.) My last set of irons were also Nikes - in fact the 2 and 3 irons are from that set - and I had those in play for about 5 years. Cracking irons, and I was so impressed I bought some more.

The 3 wood is 3+ years old (a junior compared to my record of 13 years for a 3 wood :russian_roulette: ) and the lob wedge is a recent replacement for a worn out Nike Raw Forged I retired early this year after a few years of use wore out the grooves.

The sand wedge is pretty new at about a year old, after I wore out my old 200 Series Vokey.

I'm a great believer in finding something that works and then sticking with it. It's actually a bit distracting to me to put a new set of irons into play that aren't familiar and don't have big bullseye marks on the faces. I try a lot of different things, and enjoy doing so, but it's rare something leaps out as being hugely superior to what I've got, so I'm loath to change from my old faithfuls.

Jamie - I like your style. Remarkably similar tastes to mine by the looks of it!

These ones are actually still pretty new-looking. No brown bits yet...

The old Mizunos are about there though :russian_roulette:

Simalar tastes indeed, used to game the 410 Ignite with a grafalloy blue and the Nike blades...... And your about the only other guy in the UK that uses a 2 iron as far as i can see!

I was going to comment on those Mizunos, i saw them in the background, they look sweet but the faces look even better! Mine are getting there slowly but surely, its like a mark of honour, you have to earn it i suppose!

Along with shagshows ever so true comment, its inspired me to upload my latest pics on my WITB to complete it :-) But hes right, got to get the Nike spots up!

The Handy Sandy is on my 'must try' list.

If I hole the first shot I hit from a bunker with it, it goes in the bag. :russian_roulette:

I like the Grind on that Alien wedge though...

The Handy Sandy is on my 'must try' list.

If I hole the first shot I hit from a bunker with it, it goes in the bag. :russian_roulette:

I like the Grind on that Alien wedge though...

I don't think there's any doubting about you holing your first shot. But on the off chance that you don't, I'd highly recommend the alien. That grind really comes into its own when you play flop shots from tight lies..

:good:

I'll tell you what, mate - if you can hole putts on that carpet you can hole putts on anything. You struggle to see the ball rolling sometimes amidst that garish pattern.

When you buy a house from a couple of sixty-somethings, you get things like that carpet thrown in for nothing. Mercifully, it has been changed since the photo was taken.

Great looking bag Mat, all my stuff is relatively new but the last irons were eye 2's that were there for 13 years, called Ping back in 1985 on a Saturday and Karl himself answered the phone! I almost fell over, ask him what the heck he was doing answering the phone and he said he loved to come in on the weekend and do some work! Gave me a hint on his newest model of eye 2's and I went out on Monday and ordered a set! Would love to have them back. Heck my bag (titleist) is about 12 years old but needs to be replaced, getting very ragged.

Best of luck to you and yours!

• 2 weeks later...

Even found a pic of me on the laptop.

The irons are better looking than their owner, methinks...