NEW to golf - Cincinnati - what courses should I play?

soulfd76

Hey everyone. I am new to this website, and actually fairly new to the game of golf. I started playing last year, borrowing clubs, and only played 3 times at the very end of the summer. I enjoyed it so much, I went out and purchased clubs about 2 weeks ago. I've been to the range, and I'm ready to start playing some courses.

so....my question is where should I play. I want the course to be nice, but really, since I'm inexperienced, I'm looking at more quantity over quality. I live on the East Side of Cincinnati, but work downtown. Thanks for the help!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the east side, I have played Stonelick Hills...it is a great new course at a decent price. My favorite course in the Cincy area is Belterra (which is actually in Indiana along the river). It is a fantastic layout and if I remember right, you can play for around $50 after 2:00.

Lassing Pointe in Northern Kentucky is another good layout around $49 and Shaker Run near Lebanon won't disappoint either.

• 2 months later...

YOu are lucky and not so lucky. Cincinnati has a lot of affordable, decent golf, but really is devoid of an upscale, inspiring daily fee course. Shaker Run is probably the BEST near Cincinnati.

There are a lot worth playing:

Deer Run CC (semi private)

Legendary Run

Vineyard

Sharon Woods

Elks Run

Stonelick (way overrated and overpriced IMO)

Glenview

Fairfield

Miami Whitewater

Just north of Cincinnati, try Majestic Springs

Most of the better courses are private around here. Many of the clubs are hurting for members and are really not all that expensive to join....

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

PS: agree with BEelterra and add one, Links at Grand Victoria....both nice, a 45 min drive away. YOu can also drive to Indy for much BETTER public golf!

Welcome! We just moved back to Cincinnati, although I went to graduate school at U.C. in the late 90s. The Hamilton county park courses are excellent options. The Mills course & Sharonwoods courses are very nice and reasonable.

I suggest avoiding Walden Ponds, I played there a few weeks ago and had a horrible experience. The tee times were only separated by 6 mins which can be a frusterating experience for both beginners and experienced players.

In general I agree with the other poster, there are better courses in Indiana...Bear Chase Golf CC just off I-74W, the Smock, Timbergate, Otter Creek to name a few. Also Grand Oak GC in Harrison is excellent but challenging.

Since you are new to playing, try Avon Field GC near Xavier Univ. Not overly pong and only a par 66, but the conditions are great, the price is right and it is a great, and very underrated place to play a round of golf.

I actually played Avon recently and found it to be in pretty bad shape. I'm generally not a big fan of that course though, but it is really really cheap.

On the East side, for a new golfer I recommend the following:

California: Inexpensive. Plays a bit slow at times, which could be a good thing. Not overly challenging, but a good course. If you are a big slicer you may have some OB problems on the back nine. This is the course that I tend to play the most, as I golf with my Dad every week and lives less than 1 mile from the course.

Vineyard: Great value. Tougher than California, and might be a bit challenging for a novice, but a great course. Always in good shape. Also a very walkable course if you prefer to walk.

Reeves: Slow play, but you can usually get a Tee time with ease. Nice and flat. They have recently grown parts of the rough out very deep, which has added a new dimension to playing there. Still a pretty easy course though, although there is almost always some wind there.

Legendary Run: A bit more expensive and challenging, but a solid course.

Stonelick Hills: Pricey. Personally I think it is overpriced. If I am going to spend $75 per round I am going to play Shaker Run in Lebanon.

Hickory Ridge: Located in the Loveland/Milford area. Cheap course. I don't like it very much, but some do. Usually in OK shape, and you can always get a tee time.

Having moved here from Michigan 12 years ago, I have to agree with another post, in that Cincinnati simply doesn't offer more than above average courses.

As for my opinion of some of those courses:

Vineyard - Usually in decent shape and reasonably priced.

Glenview - Nothing special. Does offer 27 holes for what that is worth. Fairly generic course. Certainly not one you are eager to play again.

Walden Ponds - It can be a slow round and get crowded. Generally greens are very nice and course is solid.

Shaker Run - I think it is highly overrated, but most people love it, so I recognize I might have some bias there for some reason. Also has 27 holes. New nine if very different than old nine. If I an in that area, I would choose to go a little more north and play Heatherwood or up to Yankee Trace.

Kings Island - Decent course, but can get crowded. They have changed the holes around many time and some are not that good.

Stonelick Hills - I hated it when it first opened a few years ago. Greens were in horrible condition. Played it twice then. I was begged to go back last month and have to say it is in much better condition. Greens rolled out nice, although the greens at 9 and 10 are gimmicky with huge swales. Didn't find any water jugs either. Overall I would go back.

Elks Run - I believe it is the nicest course in Cincinnati (public). I don't like the collared greens. The fairways are very wide and well maintained. The greens putt true. They have gone away from the $85 rate they have had for years so you can play during the week I believe for $55. Never crowded during the week or weeknight. I have played 18 holes there in 2 hours as a single many times. It can play a little tough from the blacks when the heather is high, but that has been cut down some over the years.

Sharonville - allways a 5 hour round. Should be avoided at all costs.

Blue Ash - Can also be slow, but a decent course. I play it twice/year.

Belterra - very nice, but a bit of a drive.

Little Miami - if you live on the eastside it is a good spot to work on your game - nine holes plus a vn par three course.

Grand Victoria - Nothing special. They call it a links course, but come on!!! Not a body of water in sight other than a few little ponds. I have played the Straits twice so I have something to compare a Links course to.

Lassing Pointe - Good course. Has some fun holes.

If you are just beginning, there are many courses in Cincinnati that will fit just fine. However, one complaint I have is that even the lousy courses charge a lot of money in Cincinnati and the twilight rates are that special.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions. This is the first summer with my clubs, and I have played quite a bit now. The Little Miami suggestion has been so valuable for me to work on my game. I must say My favorite course by far has been Elks Run, although I have only played on about 5 different courses this summer. I have not played Stonelick Hills even though I live about 8 miles from there because it is too expensive. The Vineyard is awesome, but very difficult for me at my level of play at this time. The place I ended up playing the most has been California. The price is right, and it is a little more forgiving while I'm at the VERY early stages of learning this wonderful game!

thanks for all the suggestions and help!

Here's what's in my bag after my first 1/2 summer of golf:

Driver: Adams Insight XTD A3 9.5 Driver

3 wood: Slazenger Raw Distance (I would love to upgrade this when I get the funds!)

5 wood: Taylormade Burner

3 Iron: Adams IDEA a2

4 Iron-SW (Includes AW): Taylormade R7 Draw

Putter: Odyssey White hot XG #7

:clapping:

If you can find a member (private club) and don't mind taking a drive, try The Elks in Hamilton Ohio.

About 30 minutes up 75 from Downtown. Play the Red and White Course ONLY. From what I understand, it was one of Donald Ross's earlier designs. Looking at the elevated and fall away putting surfaces is like playing Pinehurst #2. It makes you play the course and can't take short cuts. Boy it bit me in the arse the first time I played it :diablo: . That won't happen the next time. Certainly worth playing and cheap, $36.00 after 4pm.

Good luck. :beach:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone around the Cincy area played either Lassing Pointe or Legendary Run this summer? I'm looking to go to one of these two for a bachelor party outing and wanted some current thoughts on course condition.

Lassing is in the lead right now based more on the fact that they will consider us an "outing" and thus reserve us a nice block of tee times around 8:30-9:00, and for Legendary I'd have to wait until 2 weeks before and take my chances booking online or over the phone.

TONS of my local Cincinnati area golf course pictures here:

http://www.hetzelfamily.org

Sharon Woods, for the $$$ is great. The Vineyard really needs to implement an agressive tree removal program, that course has gotten a lot worse int he past 16 years since I played there the first time.

Put aside the overpriced rate at Stonelick Hills, is a good course to experience and play?

Hey Moeller, it is worth playing at least once, but it has some quirkly holes, IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are new, and looking to just get out and play, you just can't go wrong with any of the Hamilton County Park courses, or CRC courses. They can get crowded, but I think that speaks to the value of the course. For the money you can't beat them.

I've lived in Cincinnati my whole life, and been a golfer for 30+ years. I grew up playing at Western Row and Pleasant Hill (Middletown), but they are not options any more. Elk's Run is also great, and look for deals since ownership changed. Greencrest is, in my opinion, a great course for new players. Cheap, easy to play, and offers challenges if you want.

You might want to look at joining a league as well. There are many around, and the regular diet of golf in the summer will go a long way toward developing your game.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions and replies this past year.

After playing for a year now in cinci, here are my favorite courses (Note - i have not been to any private courses yet, so they are all public/semi-private).

Elks Run

Deer Run

Stonelick Hills - I got on for under 40 bucks for a deal they were doing - thought it was gorgeous but would never pay their rack rate of $79

Beckett Ridge

California (although I don't like the end of the back 9 that goes around the lake - especially 18)

Hickory Woods (the greens are soooo slow though)

Courses I still need to get to

Shaker Run - I know, I know...I need to get up there

Crooked Tree

Belterra

Grizzly at King's Island

thanks again.

Hey thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions and replies this past year.

After playing for a year now in cinci, here are my favorite courses (Note - i have not been to any private courses yet, so they are all public/semi-private).

Elks Run

Deer Run

Stonelick Hills - I got on for under 40 bucks for a deal they were doing - thought it was gorgeous but would never pay their rack rate of $79

Beckett Ridge

California (although I don't like the end of the back 9 that goes around the lake - especially 18)

Hickory Woods (the greens are soooo slow though)

Courses I still need to get to

Shaker Run - I know, I know...I need to get up there

Crooked Tree

Belterra

Grizzly at King's Island

thanks again.

SKIP Crooked Tree, unless you are playing for FREE. Try Miami Whitewater GC out in Harrison....

Welcome to Cincinnati!

A lot of great courses here! Don't know your budget, but it might be worth looking into a social membership at Stonelick Hills...

My dad has gone that route because it allows him complete use of their range plus something like one round a month...

From my understanding, it's a good deal if you will be practicing a lot! Meanwhile you can play at some more affordable courses while practicing close to home...

You have Reeves (Lunken Airport), California GC, The Vineyard, Little Miami in Newtown, are a few thoughts for something a bit more affordable!

Also, the Hamilton County Park District is offering a $99.00 package deal this year. Pay $99.00, and that allows you to play one round at...

1. The Vineyard 18 holes

2. Shawnee Lookout 18 holes

3. Sharon Woods 18 holes

4. Miami Whitewater 18 holes

5. The Mill 18 holes

6. Meadow Links 9 holes

7. Little Miami 9 hole

That would be a great opportunity for you to get familiar with 7 courses in the Cincinnati area for a great price!

• 11 months later...

It's been almost a year so I'll bring this back from the dead with a few suggestions of my own.

[b]Beckett Ridge[/b]- West Chester,Oh. Best deal in the tri-state area, $25 cart included M-F before 9 a.m.

[b]Aston Oaks[/b]- Cleves,Oh. Great layout, good mix of challenging and not so challenging holes

[b]Sugar Ridge[/b]- Bright,In. Reasonably priced, well maintained course. Never crowded, one of the benefits of having a Golf Course in a small town I guess.

[b]Robins Nest[/b]- Harrison, Oh. Nicest par 3 course around. Great for working on those irons or just a change of pace. 9 hole course /$8. They have a driving range as well.

[b]*[/b]I'd also like to mention Miami Whitewater although everyone else has already done so. Nice course, nice price.

[b]Beckett Ridge[/b] is a nice course condition wise, but the pace of play there makes Walden Pond look fast, and their customer service is NIL!

Speaking of [b]Walden Ponds[/b], that is a place you need to visit, if you haven't. I used to play there quite a big few years ago, but refused to go back this past season because of their issues with pace of play and the bunkers were just god awful. They have finally spread the times out, dug out and re-filled all the bunkers, and even sodded over about 20 "unnecessary" ones. No, I don't work there either :) I just think they put some effort into making it a nice course again. The conditions have always been great, minus the bunkers, which they finally fixed. It was more of a pace of play problem, and it was AWFUL!

[b]Crooked Tree[/b] is OK, but if you hit the ball with any length off the tee, you will find yourself not hitting driver much. More of a target course.

A bit of a drive for you, if you're in the city, but I think probably the best public in the Cincy/Dayton area is [b]Heatherwoode.[/b] If you can find a public course that can beat those conditions, let me know. There is never a pace of play problem there. They ALWAYS have rangers on the course, and they actually move people along. It's something that is missing at most courses anymore. [b]Yankee Trace[/b] and [b]Beavercreek[/b] in the Dayton area are other good ones to visit. [b]Pipestone[/b] is one to play as well, just so you can say you did, and never go back. :) You want to talk about some goofy holes! People seem to love that course, or hate it. I happen to be the latter.

Most of the courses are open. I played once this week, and it was a bit soggy, but that is to be expected. I am not sure if Aston is open, but I would imagine it is.

As far as an opinion on the course, here is mine:

I play Aston at least once a year. When I first started playing it about 7 years ago, I really liked it. Back then I was looking at buying a landominium, or whatever they are called, and I almost bought one overlooking the 10th hole there. I wouldn't have even considered it, if I didn't enjoy the course. I am glad now I didn't.

It seems every year I go back to play it, I enjoy it less and less. I think the course conditions have gotten worse over the years. The more I play it, the more I can't stand a few holes, particulary #5, #7 and #12. #4 is a very nice par 3, but the tee box has been messed up for about 5 years, and the green is ALWAYS in horrible shape.

The course is hilly. There are a few holes that you won't ever have an even lie. #5 goes straight uphill, and is my least favorite on the course.

They did build a nice clubhouse a few years back.

The course is spread out on about 500 acres, with a lot of trees. You can't walk the course. Many of the holes are too far away from the green to the next tee. It does go thru an upscale subdivision, but the houses sit quite a ways off. Except on #12. You can easily plunk a condo if you push the ball. They are so close, they used to have a sign at the tee box recommending you hit an iron off the tee. It may still be there, I can't remember. I always thought that was ridiculous.

I would give it a try. It is definitely worth playing at least once. I think I go back once a year or so just because it is a very challenging course from the black tees.

My Dad really likes it, and a buddy of mine really doesn't enjoy it. I guess I am basically in between.

Let me know what you think of it, if you make it out to play soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I have played Pebble Creek a few times, and don't care much for it. It's very short, and more target golf then anything. If you hit the ball with any length you will rarely need, or want to hit driver. The only thing I like about the course is it does have a tough par 3 island green. Other then that, I would skip it.

There are other courses around the Fairfield area to choose from. Fairfield South Trace or Walden Ponds would both be a better choice then Pebble Creek, in my opinion of course. Of those two, Fairfield is much easier and shorter. Actually, it's similar to Pebble in that you don't need a driver much. Walden winds through a subdivision, but is more of a "championship" style course.

Depending on how far you want to stray from Fairfield, there are plenty of other courses around as well to suggest.

[quote name='mrjrs' date='06 March 2010 - 08:37 AM' timestamp='1267882658' post='2296546']
Any other comments from the locals on Aston Oaks?

Also- do you guys have a lot of snow down there? Will your area be playable by next weekend?
[/quote]

I have yet to play Aston Oaks this year, I typically get out at least 10x on Aston Oaks(I only live 10mins away). I think it is a great layout. It plays nice and long on most holes, and it quite challenging. Also you can't complain for $40

From last year when the season started the course was in great shape, then around August the course was in horrible shape. Anything 100yds in was torn up from people not replacing their divots. It honestly seemed that there were no grounds worked after July. I know they host a lot of scrambles, and I think that bit them late in the year.

My favorite courses in the Cincinnati Area:

Shaker Run(even though it isn't in Cincy)
Legendary Run
Aston Oaks
Lassing PT. - KY
Boone Links(because it kicks my butt everytime, and I have no idea why) -KY
TPC Riverbend

If you want to head North to Dayton check out these courses.

Yankee Trace(best public course around, always in tiptop shape)
Pipestone
Heatherwood
CC of the North(if someone can get you on)
NCR ^

• 4 weeks later...

We ended up playing Elks Run 2 weeks ago. There was a frost delay which really backed them up. We ended up starting on 17 but by the time we got around to #2 there was a 3 group back up. Rest of the round was painfully slow. I thought the front was just ok, but I REALLY liked 10-15. A lot of the tee boxes were pretty bad, and not just because it's spring. The rest of the course was in really fine shape, though.