2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

NEW to golf - Cincinnati - what courses should I play?

soulfd76

first time posting here but hey, im a cincinnati resident so it's nice to see this thread.

i came from southern california and picked up golf out here (mainly cause it's so much cheaper and less crowded than los angeles). i've been hitting the range 2-3x a week and played california recently (despite my 30 handicap, it was nice to actually get out. lost a couple balls in the resevoir though).

next week we play pebble creek. im looking forward to a more 3 wood friendly course :)

what would you guys suggest for me to play next? im a high handicapper with a lot of free time during the weeks (usually my days off are wednesday and thursday...restaurant biz). my priorities are basically low hassle/not busy courses that will provide me with relative difficulty and some scenery.

-mike

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play Pebble Creek once a month with my regular foursome. The course is ok but hardly a favorite. It's great if you don't like hitting long irons because you rarely need them.

I will not play Beckett Ridge. Poor layout with zero risk/reward challenges, very slow play as a rule, and a rude staff. Conditions at Walden Ponds have greatly improved but pace of play can be slow... plan on 5 hours plus on a weekend. I agree with others that Stonelick is overpriced and overrated.

Shaker Run has always been one of my favorites playing Woodlands/Lakeside. Heatherwoode, Aston Oaks and Wetherington are also good choices. I like to practice at Glenview.... 27 holes, good value.

@hyperion, You should try sugar ridge in Bright,In. right off 275. Not an extremely long course but it's pretty hilly and fairly tight. If you're playing the long tees there is only one hole where hitting a driver is a must, if you're playing the white (middle) tees you can leave the driver at home and be just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I've lived in the area all my life, I now have a list of courses to play in the area. Most of my rounds have come on the cheaper public courses like Avon (my favorite) and California as my disposable income is limited and my roster of country club friends is lacking.

That said, I've got an outing coming up at Legendary Run and it looks like it's a favorite of most around here. However it's a bit more challenging than my usual, so I may be hitting the range at Lunken this week.

TM R15
TM Burner 3W (old.....)
TM RBZ 19 degree
WS Fybrid 4 hybrid
Ping Karsten 5-UW
Ping iWedge 54+58
Scotty Squareback 2

Do I need a 4-iron?

[quote name='blhoff' date='01 May 2010 - 10:51 AM' timestamp='1272725517' post='2411797']
I play Pebble Creek once a month with my regular foursome. The course is ok but hardly a favorite. It's great if you don't like hitting long irons because you rarely need them.

I will not play Beckett Ridge. Poor layout with zero risk/reward challenges, very slow play as a rule, and a rude staff. Conditions at Walden Ponds have greatly improved but pace of play can be slow... plan on 5 hours plus on a weekend. I agree with others that Stonelick is overpriced and overrated.

Shaker Run has always been one of my favorites playing Woodlands/Lakeside. Heatherwoode, Aston Oaks and Wetherington are also good choices. I like to practice at Glenview.... 27 holes, good value.
[/quote]

You are not kidding about Beckett Ridge! I think that the layout is OK, if somewhat boring, but the slow play and aloof staff have made it so I will never go back. They have rangers just sitting around at the clubhouse but no one is regulating play! WTF???

It seems like Beckett Ridge is one of the slowest courses around!!

My fave courses around the area are:

Weatherwax
Heatherwoode
Fairfield
Walden Ponds
Glenview

I find myself playing at Pleasant Hill a lot.. it's close and I can squeeze in 9 holes after work..

Still looking to play at Shaker Run and Blue Ash some day.. I've heard good things about those two courses..

[quote name='Herm33' date='22 August 2008 - 01:20 PM' timestamp='1219425618' post='1223997']
Has anyone around the Cincy area played either Lassing Pointe or Legendary Run this summer? I'm looking to go to one of these two for a bachelor party outing and wanted some current thoughts on course condition.

Lassing is in the lead right now based more on the fact that they will consider us an "outing" and thus reserve us a nice block of tee times around 8:30-9:00, and for Legendary I'd have to wait until 2 weeks before and take my chances booking online or over the phone.
[/quote]

Lassing is in great shape as of about 2 weeks ago. One of the nicer layouts in the area.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• 1 month later...

[quote name='rob_roy28' date='12 July 2010 - 06:39 PM' timestamp='1278974375' post='2571493']
Food for thought by a local club pro

Best public course in town is Stonelick Hills, excellent conditions, great greens, good design and under $60 bucks.
[/quote]

When are you playing Stonelick for less than $60? Did they drop their rates? I think it was at or north of $70 last time I played there earlier this year.

[quote name='Bogeyman82' date='13 July 2010 - 08:07 AM' timestamp='1279022828' post='2572537']
[quote name='rob_roy28' date='12 July 2010 - 06:39 PM' timestamp='1278974375' post='2571493']
Food for thought by a local club pro

Best public course in town is Stonelick Hills, excellent conditions, great greens, good design and under $60 bucks.
[/quote]

When are you playing Stonelick for less than $60? Did they drop their rates? I think it was at or north of $70 last time I played there earlier this year.
[/quote]

$59 during the week and it is a steal imo. We are very lucky in this area to have the variety of golf courses for such low prices.

• 3 weeks later...

Playing Stonelick tomorrow !!!! Never been there before. Anything to know?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I am also new to golf (started last year with lessons) and have shown an addictive behavior towards this sport this summer. I have played at various courses around the Cincinnati area. Although review of courses can vary based on your level of play, there are several features that most golfers will find desirable in every golf course. In no particular order, these include the following:
[list][*]Aesthetic beauty of a finely landscaped course, seemingly away from urban structures (including residential communites)[*]A well maintained course (finely manicured fairways and green) with good facilities (water, ball cleaning, a predictable pattern of marking yardage, good cart paths etc)[*]Members who play with proper etiquette and at an acceptable speed[*]Good practice facilities[*]A good clubhouse which also a system of providing snacks and drinks on the course[*]Reasonable cost[/list]I am sure there are several other desirable features that appeal to other golfers (for example, an usher to greet you and take your bags as you enter the club) but I feel that those features are optional. Cincinnati is indeed lucky to possess several courses that meet most of these criteria. Of the ones I have played, Shaker Run is perhaps the best especially if you are lucky to get a good price that includes Lakeside and Woodlands (and NOT Meadows). Stonelick hills is an excellent course (in some ways, much more desirable than Shaker) but it has to be considered pricey at $75/-. The nearby Cedar trace can be played at $20/- but has poor cart paths and poor practice facilities. It is a nice course, nevertheless. Bel Wood is another good golf course that I have played on several occassions. I have been told that the members can be rude. Both Beckett Ridge and Walden Ponds are good courses but desperately need a change in management. Sharon Woods and Blue Ash are good public courses that I feel are overpriced. Glenview is a public course with a good value for the money but is not challenging (especially for the low handicappers). Crooked tree has poorly maintained greens but is well landscaped. In my opinion, the meadows course of Shaker run is an example of poorly landscaped course and is not worth the money you pay.

[quote name='rob_roy28' timestamp='1280419036' post='2606304']
Fast greens, should be in great conditions and the fairways are firm.
[/quote]

The place kicked my butt. Great condition.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

[quote name='The General' timestamp='1281021151' post='2620140']
[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1280366616' post='2605209']
[/quote]

i'm going to try and play Stonelick next week.

How were the greens and fairways? fast and fast?
[/quote]

Always. Stonelick is a phenomenal course. You will love it.

Stonelick Hills and Heatherwoode are the only courses I have played in a while that are still in very nice shape. I played Stonelick on Sunday, and it was great. Even Shaker Run is hurting right now. I was there yesterday, and it has seen better days. I am afraid this heat is beating up a lot of the courses.

I was also told that Circling Hills is still looking good. I don't care for the course, so I haven't been there, but the sources are good.

Two people have told me how bad of shape Aston is in right now. Is this one you're speaking of on the west side? They said the course is a total disaster. I haven't played there since early June, and it was in pretty good shape then. How quickly they can go bad it seems.

[quote name='Tarantula18t' timestamp='1281563314' post='2633130']
Stonelick Hills and Heatherwoode are the only courses I have played in a while that are still in very nice shape. I played Stonelick on Sunday, and it was great. Even Shaker Run is hurting right now. I was there yesterday, and it has seen better days. I am afraid this heat is beating up a lot of the courses.

I was also told that Circling Hills is still looking good. I don't care for the course, so I haven't been there, but the sources are good.

Two people have told me how bad of shape Aston is in right now. Is this one you're speaking of on the west side? They said the course is a total disaster. I haven't played there since early June, and it was in pretty good shape then. How quickly they can go bad it seems.
[/quote]

Yes. Aston Oaks and Deer Run are both in very bad shape. You have to play Aston pre-June to get on the good turf. It sucks because it is one of my faves, and I live 10 mins away :). I think they have too many outtings there and it just tears the course up. I know the lack of rain hurts, but also when we had too much rain the courses got moldy.

I played Deer Run the first week of June, and it was great. I got back in town 3 weeks later and it looked like the course did a complete 180. The bad part was it looked like a mower had a oil leak, and you could follow it through the entire course.

[quote name='jgood' timestamp='1281606121' post='2634177']

Yes. Aston Oaks and Deer Run are both in very bad shape. You have to play Aston pre-June to get on the good turf. It sucks because it is one of my faves, and I live 10 mins away :). I think they have too many outtings there and it just tears the course up. I know the lack of rain hurts, but also when we had too much rain the courses got moldy.

I played Deer Run the first week of June, and it was great. I got back in town 3 weeks later and it looked like the course did a complete 180. The bad part was it looked like a mower had a oil leak, and you could follow it through the entire course.
[/quote]

I played out at Deer Run a few weeks back and I was starting to see some problems, don't know about Aston. Haven't played out there since mid-June. But most courses around here are looking pretty bad and it's disappointing. Cincinnati usually does very well with conditioning of their courses. Good thing I'm leaving for Michigan tomorrow for a week!

[quote name='The General' timestamp='1281021151' post='2620140']
[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1280366616' post='2605209']
[/quote]

i'm going to try and play Stonelick next week.

How were the greens and fairways? fast and fast?
[/quote]

Fast but not too fast.

others -------

Legendary Run condition ok 2 weeks ago but starting to struggle. Kenton County Fox Run hurting badly. California worst condition course I have ever played. You couldn't tell the tee boxes from the fairway or the rough. Twin Oaks was getting bad a month ago and I don't it has goten any better in this heat.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Hello fellow Cincinnatians...

Unfortunately most courses are really suffering...

Played Stonelick a few weeks ago, not bad, but was starting to show signs of stress, but overall good compared to others...

Played Kenwood CC this past Monday, they were stressing as well. Worst I've ever seen it in all of my life...

Circling Hills, I'm a bit biased, is probably in good shape as well! Haven't been there though in over a month...

I heard Astin Oaks was miserable...

I know Miami Whitewater is struggling as well, despite how great it was for the Publinx Qualifier...

Mother Nature has been very brutal...

Would hate to be a course superintendent right now!!!

• 4 months later...

[quote name='schrand07' timestamp='1294990595' post='2895959']
Not in cincy but u should play longaberger its best public course in ohio by far not even a question
[/quote]

Longaberger is GOOD, but no so sure it makes #1 public in Ohio. There are a ton of courses I would rather play and at a better price. I played Longaberger last May and it was nice, but not worth the drive to go back again.

In 2005 they were getting $130 greens fee. Now, you can buy a tee time on golfnow.com for $50.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)