2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Shoes - what do you like to wear.

I finally found the best shoes in existence: New Balance golf shoes! Most people have never heard of them, but they're by far the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. Perfect fit for golf, and are available up to sz. 15 and several widths. This may sound like an ad, but as a person who wears 14EE shoes, I really appreciate the size options. Very nice, understated look in all black, with excellent insoles.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I know some people don't like the look, but I tried the Nike TW SP-8's and they are the most comfortable golf shoe I've ever worn. Apparently Nike used Cole Hahn leather for the uppers of the shoe. Yes Nike owns Cole Hahn. But there was the benefit of the Power Platform Sole. My instructor told me that my weight shift has improved with the SP-8 shoe.

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

Titleist 2023 T200 Irons, 4-PW, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

I really seem to like Calf skin leather wingtips. I have a 2 pair of Footjoy classics. One pair is modern and one pair is from the 60's. My favorite pair are my Dexter riviera's from the 80's. Most comfortable shoes ive ever owned. All 3 were made right here in the USA. I have a pair of NIke sp-5's I wear on crummy days and they are mighty comfy as well..here are some pics of my calfskins

I have 2 pairs of Foot-joy Classics - an all black wing tip and a cordovan wing tip. Browsing in Golf Galaxy yesterday and took a shine to Ecco Hydromax (all black or all cognac). I tried on a 43 (maybe it was a 42?) - supposed to be the equivalent of American 9 - 9.5. It felt good even with a thicker sock than I normally use for golf. I'm really an 8.5 but w-i-d-e (EEE). These felt good and I know they'll only feel better once they're broken in. Are they worth the $180? Seems like a really well-made shoe. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

There is nothing close to Footjoy Classic dry premeires. They are the most stylish shoes you can buy.

I love mine to pieces!!!

I currently have 2 other pairs of shoes(Adidas Tour 360 and FJ DRY JOY PRO)

I try to use the Adidas for practice and the Dry joys for wet weather but I am often tempted too tempted by the Classics and give in to wearing them!!!

When I am out of school and pro I think I will get a few more pairs of Classics so I can have a pair for the rain so I can always play and practice in style!!!

Just purchased the new Nike SP-6 (zoom air). All white. Just couldn't decide between the Adidas 360 sizes (one was too small the next too big???). The Nikes fit right and got them for 30 bucks cheaper.

Also have a pair of DryJoy PRO's from last year and they are solid.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be a FJ Classics guy but I have made the switch to the Callaway HX Tour Shoes and love them!

Best,

Brad

[b][i]Brad King[/i][/b]
[b][color=#ff8c00][i]Southern California & New England [/i][/color][/b]

[b]Taylor Made M3 9.5* w. Graphite Design Tour AD IZ6 Stiff
Tayloe Made M4 Fairway 15* w. HZDRUS Black 6.0 Stiff
Taylor Made M3 Hybrid 17* (set to 19*) w. Tensi Blue 85HY Stiff
Taylor Made M3 4-AW w. DG XP100
Taylor Made High Toe 58* w. KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Taylor Made High Toe 64* w. KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Taylor Made Spider Red Sightline 35"
Taylor Made Bag

Taylor Made TP5x & Kirkland KSIG Balls
[/b]

ECCO Flexor Hydromax

Waterproof, comfortable as can be, and very distinctive looking. White and black, and white and cognac/bison. I don't know if I like wearing stuff that most people don't have, or what, but I've always liked "different" styles. Nothing too over-the-top, but distinctive.

Oh, and I could never wear all-white golf shoes. Wimbeldon doesn't have a course, last time I checked (cool)

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or LA Golf Trono 7 

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

• 1 month later...

I have three pairs of golf shoes. Two are Oakley Bow Tye 2 (all black and white and black) and a pair of Ecco Hydromax (brown). The Oakley shoes are WAY nicer to me. The bottom of the Ecco shoe is made of a composite kevlar looking material that seems to slip very easy when playing golf. The Oakley's don't slip at all and seem to me more comfortable. They are cheaper too. I had always heared that Ecco shoes were the cream of the crop but I am not impressed (with the Hydromax). I am thinking about ordering a pair of the new Oakely Tye shoes. They look AWESOME!

• 3 weeks later...
ECCO Flexor Hydromax

Waterproof, comfortable as can be, and very distinctive looking. White and black, and white and cognac/bison. I don't know if I like wearing stuff that most people don't have, or what, but I've always liked "different" styles. Nothing too over-the-top, but distinctive.

Oh, and I could never wear all-white golf shoes. Wimbeldon doesn't have a course, last time I checked :rolleyes:

Ding..Ding....Ding.... we have a winner (for me at least). I have tried many different incarnations on Nike, Addidas, and Footjoy's. I recently bought some ECCO Flexor Hydromax's and they have to be the most comfortable golf shoe I have ever had. No sole slippage issues here. I liked them so much, that I bought a second pair in white/black. Additionally, I liked that the style looked different than your typical saddle shoe.

Right now I'm sporting a pair of Callaway saddlebacks (white w/brown). In the last month or so I have decided that I hate anything white. It's just too much effort to keep them clean. I am looking now for a pair of solid brown and solid black. I am leaning towards Adidas and Callaway but am open to whatever looks good, feels good and doesn't break the bank.

I've gone through way too many shoes on my way to finding what works for me. I always walk, usually play a steep up and down course, and my feet and legs get really unhappy if my shoes aren't working.

Here's what I've found:

If the weather is dry, absolutely nothing beats my Nike Trail runners. They have an aggressive tread, and great cushioning and support. They fit correctly and don't slip while giving plenty of toe room. I rotate two pairs. Interestingly, the slightly less expensive pair without the "air" heel, is the most comfy. I haven't slipped one time. I have less fatigue and heel/arch issues with these than any golf shoe.

I have a pair of Bite AC Vibes which I use when it's wet. They are more comfortable than the Nike athletic style spikes I have, but the fit is kind of sloppy. I don't think they are very well made. The cushioning and support are okay, but not great.

For "dressier" walking rounds I have Etonic G-Sok spikeless saddles, which are wonderful, but I don't trust spikeless shoes for wet conditions.

For dressier occasions calling for spiked shoes or for riding, I have Hagen Tour Stops (made by Etonic for Dick's), which are surprisingly good traditional saddles, white Nike SP-5's (the 2005 style with the leather linings) which are snazzy and good, and Adidas Tech Feathers, which are snazzy and wonderful shoes. All three of these shoes fit well and have good cushioning and support, but the Adidas really shines.

Not so great were a pair of Nike SP4's which started to rub my toes badly after a few rounds, and the Nike Air Max athletic style athletic spiked shoes which are not terrible, but don't hold a candle to the Tech Feathers.

Around here, the rage is monochromatic brown or black shoes, often Foot Joys. I've always preferred saddle shoes for the traditional look, and I think they look great with shorts, as well. For walking rounds, the athletic styles and the Adidas look great.

I can't stand any shoe that has a "plastic" lining. What is up with that? Surely that will rub your feet raw and not breathe well. Leather is good and the new wicking textile liners are better.

I think the Callaway shoes are junk and I'm very underwhelmed by the overpriced Eccos.

I'm currently looking around for a good pair. All black would be my first preference.

Last season's choice was FJ eComforts. I was underwhelmed - they weren't notably comfortable. Part of the problem is my odd foot size - 14XW (EEE+) - which makes buying a pain.

Prior to the start of this year I bought a pair of New Balance golf shoes. I have several pairs of NB tennis shoes, which have been great. I have NOT been impressed by the golf shoes, however. I've had some minor heel and achilles pain after rounds which makes the idea of walking in these shoes unthinkable.

That's very much in line with my impression. I have three pairs of New Balance running shoes and thought their golf shoes would probably be great. However, I was in between sizes and thought they were also quite stiff. Reading your post makes me glad I dropped that idea. I also found that Nike trail-running shoes, which as I noted, I wear for my casual rounds, fit better than the NB's - much to my surprise.