Nick Faldo's Equipment

Shah G

The only clubs I've seen in his hands recently have been during little Golf Channel snippets in between all his shameless plugging for Taylor Made on-air.

R7 TP irons and a Spider putter from what I've seen, albeit there's nothing to say they're his actual clubs.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

• 2 weeks later...
Excellant pic, thanks! Why did he go to TM, didn't Mizzy want him? I figured it might be money. Any insight?

Despite recently using MP-60's, Faldo wasnt actually sponsored by Mizuno. In fact, I don't think he's had an actual club sponsor since he was with Nike 5+ years ago.

I can only presume the TM have picked him up due to the coverage that he'll get coming up to the Ryder Cup.

Excellant pic, thanks! Why did he go to TM, didn't Mizzy want him? I figured it might be money. Any insight?

Despite recently using MP-60's, Faldo wasnt actually sponsored by Mizuno. In fact, I don't think he's had an actual club sponsor since he was with Nike 5+ years ago.

I can only presume the TM have picked him up due to the coverage that he'll get coming up to the Ryder Cup.

Thanks Villa :) :good: ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Faldo had the game to win 2 or more U.S. Opens. 18 Pars on a sunday in The Open at Muirfield was awesome.

[size=3]Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5° TENSI BLUE 67g 6/17/19
Srixon Z F85  fwy 13.5°, 18° HZRDUS 6.0 62g 9/15/19
TaylorMade M4 Hyb 22° 4/1/19
Honma  T // World Rose Proto 5-10 iron
 N.S. PRO MODUS 3 TOUR 120  S 8/8/19
Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 [/size]
[size=3]3/7/19
TaylorMade Mill Grind 50° 07/17/18, TaylorMade Mill Grind 54° 4/12/19, TaylorMade
Mill Grind 58° 07/17/18
Titleist ProV1x Grips Golf Pride Z-Grip cord align midsize Glove FJ Pure Touch Limited L
Callaway Epic Star [/size]
[size=3]staff bag
Titleist Players 4 stand bag
Jan Craig headcovers
Adidas Tour 360 Boost 2.0[/size]

I saw a tour issue Vokey wedge on eBay recently which was made for Faldo with all his usual characteristics such as NF stamped on the back of the blade and the upside down Lamkin Crossline Full-Cord Midsize grip.

That had an S400 in it.

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=006

See that Faldo Vokey was being sold by someone who bought it from Martin ("mjtoal") of this fair forum...

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver/MCA Vanquish 4 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15.0 degree (@ 17) 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird 34” putter/Stroke Lab double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022

I saw a tour issue Vokey wedge on eBay recently which was made for Faldo with all his usual characteristics such as NF stamped on the back of the blade and the upside down Lamkin Crossline Full-Cord Midsize grip.

That had an S400 in it.

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=006

See that Faldo Vokey was being sold by someone who bought it from Martin ("mjtoal") of this fair forum...

Hi Gareth.

That is indeed one I had - I still have 3 more Vokeys and I recently acquired a couple of older Mizuno TP-19s that belonged to Nick too. They are a bit more gamed.

He likes the Lamkin Crossline midsize grip. Big hands, I guess. Big guy for sure.

Hi Martin.

Might be interested in the Nick Faldo Vokey's if you still have them....PM me please :clapping:

Bet the TP19's are like razor blades on a stick!!!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15.0 degree (@ 17) 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff

I saw that driver up-close.

It was very similar in profile to the old Hot Metal woods albeit with differing sole markings and had a Mizuno Exsar Gold shaft in it. I think it was 8 degrees or so of loft on it.

His whole game was geared towards a low flight that week - he ditched the Raylor that he normally carried (a 16 degree bent to 13) and bagged a stock Tour Brassie 12 degree 2 wood as his fairway wood.

If I remember rightly, he had 2-PW in Mizuno TP11s and a pair of TP wedges at 58 and 60 degrees of loft.

Ballstriking-wise it was one of the finest displays I've ever seen over the four days.

I think that's spot on Matt (as usual mate). For the guys in the U.K, the 1990 Open Championship is on the ESPN Classic channel tonight at 5.30. I'll be rushing home from work to watch that one!

I saw Faldo ditch the 3 wood completely at one of the Open's in the mid 90's. He used a Mizuno T-Zoid driver, T-Zoid Pro 1,2,3 irons and MP-14 4-PW. Despite not being the longest player on tour, Nick had quite a high ball flight. His whole setup was geared towards keeping the ball down come Open Championship time.

I saw that driver up-close.

It was very similar in profile to the old Hot Metal woods albeit with differing sole markings and had a Mizuno Exsar Gold shaft in it. I think it was 8 degrees or so of loft on it.

His whole game was geared towards a low flight that week - he ditched the Raylor that he normally carried (a 16 degree bent to 13) and bagged a stock Tour Brassie 12 degree 2 wood as his fairway wood.

If I remember rightly, he had 2-PW in Mizuno TP11s and a pair of TP wedges at 58 and 60 degrees of loft.

Ballstriking-wise it was one of the finest displays I've ever seen over the four days.

I think that's spot on Matt (as usual mate). For the guys in the U.K, the 1990 Open Championship is on the ESPN Classic channel tonight at 5.30. I'll be rushing home from work to watch that one!

I saw Faldo ditch the 3 wood completely at one of the Open's in the mid 90's. He used a Mizuno T-Zoid driver, T-Zoid Pro 1,2,3 irons and MP-14 4-PW. Despite not being the longest player on tour, Nick had quite a high ball flight. His whole setup was geared towards keeping the ball down come Open Championship time.

Just spent the last 30 minutes reading through this thread and what memories it brings back. I was always more of a Sandy Lyle fan because I'm Scottish but Faldo was probably the most complete golfer in his time for sure.

I'll need to Sky+ that tonight, cheers for the heads up!

I always remember an awesome 200 yard (pre Tiger that's some shot distance!!)7 iron shot that Nick hit when he won the Heritage @ Harbour Town. He hit a high powerful draw over a huge tree to the green and made the birdie put to set up the victory.

At the time (If I recall correctly) it was the first European or British win on the PGA tour since the days of Tony Jacklin in the late 60's/early 70's. I'm sure someone will be along to put me right however :rolleyes:

So it looks like Scotty made Nick a few putters - Did Nick ever game a Scotty?

I ask because I have an older Cameron with the N.F. intials stamped on the toe.

Thanks,

MC

I've only ever seen Nick game a Scotty in recent years (post 2000). I could be wrong but I can't recall him using one a any point during the 80's or 90's. I've seen a Newport, some kind of handmade and most recently, a Newport Detour.

• 1 year later...

As discussed earlier in the thread, managed to locate an old photo in my archive of his bag from 2002 consisting of his mix of Ping i3 Oversizes, Mizuno TP-19 PW and Mizuno Tour Proven Sand Wedges. As you can also see he has a Taylor Made 360Ti 8.5 Driver and his Mizuno T-Zoid 5 Wood which looks identical to the one that he used to win the Masters in 1996. Putter is the Scotty Cameron TPA XVIII look-a-like and are all in the black unbranded bag he was using for a period of time after that 'Adam's thing' !

NickFaldo2002Clubs.jpg

Interesting photo Paul.

I remember seeing him at the PGA Championship around that time and he was bagging the 8 and 9 irons from that TP-19 set in one of the rounds as well as the wedge. A bizarre combination of clubs if ever I saw one.

If I remember rightly, 2002 was his post-Nike days when he was struggling to find a full set that worked and trying a bit of everything in turn.

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

[quote name='mat562' post='1859424' date='Aug 2 2009, 07:22 PM']Interesting photo Paul.

I remember seeing him at the PGA Championship around that time and he was bagging the 8 and 9 irons from that TP-19 set in one of the rounds as well as the wedge. A bizarre combination of clubs if ever I saw one.

If I remember rightly, 2002 was his post-Nike days when he was struggling to find a full set that worked and trying a bit of everything in turn.[/quote]

Mat, funny you say that as I was a bit shocked when I came across this photo as I also remembered there being a couple more TP-19's present in the bag at the Volvo PGA Championship the same year.

My apologies I stand corrected, you are spot-on it was actually post Nike................thanks !

[quote name='villa' post='1033335' date='Apr 22 2008, 01:02 PM']Nick was always a blade player and apart from a set of Spaldings when he first turned pro (which he ground to his specs himself) he always used Mizuno (even when he was with Wilson). He used various different models over the years as stated above. For a short period towards the end of his time with Mizuno, Nick even had spells with the T-Zoid Pro and T-Zoid True irons. He used to use a Wilson sand wedge (with 4 port holes in the back) until Mizuno released the Faldo line of wedges.

Mizuno used to have a clubmaker called Turbo who personally ground all of Nick's clubs for him during the late 80's / early 90's. As Jebb rightly said, Nick used a Macgregor wooden driver and Mizuno Hot Metal 3 wood up until the point when Mizuno released the T-Zoid range. He then went on to use the T-Zoid T3 woods (notably at his Masters win in 1996). He also used a 5 wood that week but because of the difference in lofts compared to modern clubs, he still carried the 2 iron.

Nick then had a short spell with Adams in the late 90's. They spent a fortune getting him and even released their own line of Faldo wedges and a Faldo driver (which I owned, it was rubbish) though he still had Mizuno irons in the bag. He then had a break before joining Nike where as someone pointed out, he used the Pro-Combo irons. I read in an article that he left one of these companies because they were forcing him to use a driver that he didn't like. Not sure who it is though.

Since then he's played whatever he wants (MP-60's, i3 blades, TM TP's etc). He said he liked to use Ping because he could phone them from home and they would deliver exactly what he wanted the following day.

I've heard both said about the TPA putter that he used to use. I don't think anyone's sure whether it was a Taylor Made or Wilson. He also used the Ping B60 to good affect for some years but most notibly, the Odyssey Rossie Dual Force was possibly the one he's most famous for. I've heard people from Odyssey say that they don't know where they'd be without the sales boom that came from Nick's wins with that putter. It was shortly after this that Callaway bought Odyssey. All he asked of them was to make him a gold one like Ping did when he won with the B60.[/quote]

Not true, when Faldo,s game went south (pre Leadbetter) he lost all his sponsorship and he played with BeCu Ping eye two's. When he was with Wilson he played Wilson FG17's

Albeit he played Wilson irons early in his association with the brand, Faldo's last four seasons with Wilson were all spent with Mizuno irons in the bag. He won at Muirfield with some Japan-release Mizuno irons, and blank TP-9s and TN-87s were in play up until the point where he signed with Mizuno in 1991, including his first two Masters wins and for his win at St Andrews.

[quote name='mat562' post='1859606' date='Aug 2 2009, 09:27 PM']Albeit he played Wilson irons early in his association with the brand, Faldo's last four seasons with Wilson were all spent with Mizuno irons in the bag. He won at Muirfield with some Japan-release Mizuno irons, and blank TP-9s and TN-87s were in play up until the point where he signed with Mizuno in 1991, including his first two Masters wins and for his win at St Andrews.[/quote]

+1 and I believe that he used Mizuno MS-1's which as Mat stated was a Japanese market realeased blade for his 1987 British Open victory at Muirfield.

Great thread everyone and fantastic to see his bags through the years. Swing for Life is still required reading for me aswell.

Can anyone recall when he was with Nike. There's a Youtube clip of him on Nikes from a Playing Lessons with the Pros from The Golf Channel which I think came from Brocket Hall.

Any clues what time period Faldo was with Nike?

That Aint Billy Bob!!

I seem to remember him bagging some MkI Pro Combos (with the stripy plastic bit in the back) and an Forged 400 driver Paul. I'm guessing 2003-ish? Probably not long after the i3OSize /TP19 combo days. It can't have been that long ago as I remember him going on about how great the TA2 balls were and I've still got some of those in my bag... ;)

Albeit he played Wilson irons early in his association with the brand, Faldo's last four seasons with Wilson were all spent with Mizuno irons in the bag. He won at Muirfield with some Japan-release Mizuno irons, and blank TP-9s and TN-87s were in play up until the point where he signed with Mizuno in 1991, including his first two Masters wins and for his win at St Andrews.

+1 and I believe that he used Mizuno MS-1's which as Mat stated was a Japanese market realeased blade for his 1987 British Open victory at Muirfield.

MizunoMS-1.jpg