2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Any Titleist AP2 Owners Have Pics After a Few Rounds of Use?

alevine

Do your clubs exhibit exsessive wear?
I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on AP2's this weekend but I am a little concerned about the thread of the AP1's wearing quickly after only a few rounds. ;) Are the AP1's and AP2's made of different material?

Can anyone who owns a set of AP2's post a pic and comment on use and wear?

If there is exsessive wear, I may consider the Callaway X-forged. Maybe the satin material will hold-up better over time.

Thanks,
Adam

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to get hammered by you guys, and am NOT calling BS on anybody, but I have sold a lot of AP1s and AP2s and have not seen this problem at all with any of them. I have AP2s myself, it would not be fair to comment on mine as I haven't had a chance to put much wear on them. Honestly, the demo pictures early in the thread look like someone has been hitting rocks with them. The other gentleman's look like normal wear to me for forged irons...

Just my opinion, and yes, I am a Titleist Home Pro Staff member.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I have a set of AP2's that was purchased in early march I've played 4 rounds in Orlando on sand based fairways and 6 round on my home course in western NY. Other than bag chatter & impact marks you can't even tell they have been really hit. I have no idea on the AP1 wear issues but mine don't look anything like the one's pictured in the other thread.

As I said in another thread, I have 10 rounds and every day range time in with my combo set of AP-1 (4-6) and AP-2 (7-W). While I don't have any pics, I can assure you that the AP-2's still look almost pristine other than the few depressions you always get on the sole of forged irons. The AP-1's look beat to hell, and I can assure you it's not due to operator error as I play to a +1.2 USGA index and have finished in the top 25 of our state amateur 7 of the past 8 years. I don't subscribe to the bag chatter bs either. Plain and simple: it's the composition of the finish on the AP-1's compared to the 2's.

As I indicated in the other post on this topic, Titleist irons have never been good with durability. Other companies have this problem as well. If you look at last years TM r7 models, the cast head looks terrible after minimal use, while the tour head with a satin finish retains a new look.

Titleist 917D3 9.5
Titleist 917F2 13.5d
Titleist 818H2 17d. hybrid
Mltizuno JPX-850 forged 4-pw
Scratch 8620 53d..
Odyssey white hot tour #2

I don't know if it's still the same by Titleist use to farm out a lot of their forgings to US companies. They ended up dumping a lot of those smaller shops for QC reasons but that still left a bad taste in the buyer's mouth when nothing was done to remedy bad chroming and peeling of chrome. I bought a set of MB's from a company(now closed) that did a lot of manufacturing for Titleist and the clubs look very much like Titleist 2nd's with different stampings on them. I would think that the companying contracting with the smaller shops would have some policies in place on the handling of rejected clubs but perhaps some of those little shops sold some rejects on the side to make up for the loss on their contracts??????

There is another thread on this:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...p;#entry1046854

Personally, I think Titleist irons suck! I used their 704 and 804 combo for almost 2 years and they got dinged/rusted badly... I could barely sell them on eBay.... What a BAD quality on the irons, so different from their Vokey wedges!

I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on AP2's this weekend but I am a little concerned about the thread of the AP1's wearing quickly after only a few rounds. ;) Are the AP1's and AP2's made of different material?

If there is excessive wear, I may consider the Callaway X-forged. Maybe the satin material will hold-up better over time.

Thanks,

Adam

Here is a picture of my Pitching Wedge. You can't get anymore wear than on that club. I have probably played twelve 18 hole rounds and numerous balls at the golf range. I think they are holding up great and I use my wedge a ton because I hit the ball a long ways. I'm a 2.3 HDCP by the way and that is tournament play only. I hit full and 3/4 shots with it all the time. I do not now what people are talking about unless they are hitting them with rocks. I think these pics will dispute anything. There is bag chatter just like any softer forging and you will see the chatter dings. I made a mistake at piece of dung golf range and was hitting by their sand trap. The sand sucked, seemed hard as hell.. Anyways as you can see I didn't clean my club after hitting them each time and the sand and the hitting the ball put small dings in the face. I'll pay more attention to that in the future. I'm ok with that because it tells me these are soft forgings.

I love the bashing from the TM boys. TM doesn't have this problem because they have to replace their irons ever 6 months and trying something different.

If there is excessive wear, I may consider the Callaway X-forged. Maybe the satin material will hold-up better over time.

Thanks,

Adam

Here is a picture of my Pitching Wedge. You can't get anymore wear than on that club. I have probably played twelve 18 hole rounds and numerous balls at the golf range. I think they are holding up great and I use my wedge a ton because I hit the ball a long ways. I hit full and 3/4 shots with it all the time. I do not now what people are talking about unless they are hitting them with rocks. I think these pics will dispute anything. There is bag chatter just like any softer forging and you will see the chatter dings.

I love the bashing from the TM boys. TM doesn't have this problem because they have to replace their irons ever 6 months and trying something different.

Looks like you may need a lie angle adjustment ;) Nice clubs though...

Thanks,

Adam

Here is a picture of my Pitching Wedge. You can't get anymore wear than on that club. I have probably played twelve 18 hole rounds and numerous balls at the golf range. I think they are holding up great and I use my wedge a ton because I hit the ball a long ways. I hit full and 3/4 shots with it all the time. I do not now what people are talking about unless they are hitting them with rocks. I think these pics will dispute anything. There is bag chatter just like any softer forging and you will see the chatter dings.

Teetime907, you are a moron for taking this personally. I have said this a few times in my other post (see link above): NOT a Titleist bashing, since I do like Titleist's wedges, balls and putters. Just stating the obvious - their irons, driver, hybrid and fairway woods are WEAK part of their lineup!

Read it again here:

Your pics speak for themselves - the Pitching wedge looks dinged up to me... Was it supposed to say "FORGET" or "FORGED" on that iron ? Or maybe "FORGER" (in reference to the recent Pro V1 ball lawsuit?) ;)

only 12 rounds and numerous range sessions, i agree, doesnt look that good. my blades ive had for 3 years, i play almost everyday and numerous range seeions. and they look better than those

I love it. So if everybody says there clubs are in better shape. Lets see the photos. No photos, keep your trap shut on how much better condition they are. Prove it by the picture.

only 12 rounds and numerous range sessions, i agree, doesnt look that good. my blades ive had for 3 years, i play almost everyday and numerous range seeions. and they look better than those

yep the wear and beating Titleist irons make is horrible looking after not much play, I think they lose more value than Taylor Made stuff and TM puts out 4 to 1 the products Titleist does, Titleist needs to get a new forging and finishing company, I will never buy another product of theirs except for vokeys, end of story, the durability in the clubs they make has been and always will be horrible until they fix it!

Thanks,

Adam

Teetime907, you are a moron for taking this personally. I have said this a few times in my other post (see link above): NOT a Titleist bashing, since I do like Titleist's wedges, balls and putters. Just stating the obvious - their irons, driver, hybrid and fairway woods are WEAK part of their lineup!

Read it again here:

Your pics speak for themselves - the Pitching wedge looks dinged up to me... Was it supposed to say "FORGET" or "FORGED" on that iron ? Or maybe "FORGER" (in reference to the recent Pro V1 ball lawsuit?) ;)

I don't think "bashing from TM boys" is taking it to personal and I love the "moron" name calling. Very nice.... Does this make you feel like a bigger man? I'm sure it does since you started the name calling. I will just state the obvious TM has very weak Fairway woods, Irons, wedges, putters, and balls. The statistics back up Titleist. They do not back up TM. Especially with Iron count use on the PGA tour. So basically TM makes a good Hybrid and Driver. Pretty weak to me.

I don't think "bashing from TM boys" is taking it to personal and I love the "moron" name calling. Very nice.... and I will just state the obvious TM has very week Fairway woods, Irons, wedges, putters, and balls. The statistics back up Titleist. They do not back up TM. Especially with Iron count use on the PGA tour. So basically TM makes a good Hybrid and Driver. Pretty week to me.

ha ha, FORGET (or FORGE"D" - since the letter is missing in your Pitching wedge) your dictionary or thesaurus again, Titleist boy? TM has very "week" Fairway woods... and then, Pretty "week" to me? Did you mean to say "weak"? ;)

I love it. So if everybody says there clubs are in better shape. Lets see the photos. No photos, keep your trap shut on how much better condition they are. Prove it by the picture.

This is a Lehman grind PW after about 5 years of use.

This is a Lehman grind PW after about 5 years of use.

How about a photo from like 5 inches a way in Micro mode. My picture is as detailed as you can get. Something is fuzzy about yours.. That looks about like any players 5 year old club to me. Nothing special, shows some good wear, unless seeeing it closer up will prove anything different.