2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Has Adam Scott Turned the Corner?

Bag Chatter

By K Vakamudi

Adam_Scott_fist_pump(1).jpgLast Sunday I turned on coverage of the Byron Nelson and for just a second, I think I saw a gleam of Tiger in Adam Scott's eyes.

Trust me I'm keeping things in perspective. There's no way anyone could mistake Adam Scott for Tiger Woods. If Scott can just halve the gap of 13 majors, 58 PGA Tour victories, and almost 70 million in career earnings that separates him and Tiger he will have a Hall of Fame career. But even the mightiest river has to start with a drop of water, and crazy as this might sound I think Adam Scott has shown signs of becoming the player many think he can be.

Adam Scott has earned a reputation as a guy who can't finish tournaments but in all his victories he's had a flair for the dramatic. He may not be have had the typical Tiger blowout victory, but he's shown the ability to sink long putts under the greatest pressure.

Part of the issue is Scott's sublime long game which outshines his short game. He makes 300 yard drives and 240 yard 4 irons look easy. But around and on the greens his relaxed tempo seems a beat off. I'll concede that even when he's on his game, Scott's short game looks shaky at best. Even Scott recognizes this fault, "I can improve in my short game. No, I don't have Tiger Woods' short game or Phil Mickelson's short game for that matter... I've seen such a huge improvement in my short game in the last couple years. I mean, I'd put it up against anyone else day-to-day."

But on the flip side of that coin when the tournament is on the line, Scott appears to have the extra gear other great players do. His final round 61 earlier this year to win the Qatar Masters is perhaps the first sign of his change. He was able to combine some great iron shots with an excellent day on the greens, enough that a round of 59 was a real possibility.

Last weekend Scott proved he could do the opposite as well. He began the final round with the lead, but by the sixteenth hole he was one shot down. Yet that second gear seemed to click on the 17 hole when Scott made par after facing a long, winding putt that had to cross the undulating 17th green. As I watched him line up his putt on 18 to force a playoff I just had a feeling he would make it and he didn't disappoint. That's the same feeling I've had watching Tiger win at Bay Hill - you stop questioning whether or not he can make it and start trusting in the fact that he will make it.

Scott has that ability. He proved it again on the 48-footer that won him tournament. For just a split second he did his best Tiger impression, from the second the ball left his putter there was no doubt the tournament was over.

Adam Scott has that spark the great ones have. Will he be able to do it week in and week out like Tiger Woods? No, but then again how many golfers can? Round by round, it appears he's slowly harnessing the talent and potential so many have placed on his young shoulders. You can call him " the best player not to win a major," but that feeling I got Sunday before he sunk the final putt at the Nelson is telling me he won't have that title for much longer.

View the full article

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll certainly give him credit for winning an event he should have won carrying a 3 shot lead into the final round, although he tried to cough it up but came back admirably. I'm not sure his demeanor is tough enough to win a major yet. He's certainly got the whole package, but I'm not convinced about his mental tenacity yet. US Open seems like it should be a good venue for him, so it will be interesting to see how he performs there.

What I don't understand is all this negativity towards Adam Scott from people on this board. I've said it before and I'll say it again - show me another modern day pro golfer who by the age of 28 had racked up 7 PGA Tour wins (15 worldwide) including the Players, and the Tour Championship. Tiger is one. Who else? Phil? Furyk? Sergio? Vijay? Els? DLIII? How do their records compare? I'm asking seriously - does anyone know?

The guy gets called a choker because he dunked it left in the water at the Players and last year in Houston, and let a 3-stroke lead slip at the Byron Nelson. News Flash!! He still won those tournaments!! I could understand if he didn't, but he won all 3!

Shoots 61 on Sunday to come from 5 back in Qatar - "yeah, but it was a crappy field on the Euro Tour"

On 2 occasions he has held the 54-hole lead and not won on the PGA Tour - is that such a bad record? I think these people that criticise him now will continue to do so even if he wins a major - "he's a one-major-wonder", "he's not Tiger Woods", "yeah he won, but he almost choked".

I just don't get it... I know he has a mediocre record in Majors, but he's not the only player in that category is he? I think some people need to ease up a bit. I'm not an Adam Scott disciple as such, I just get sick of the negativity.

Give it a rest and save your criticisms for the non-winners.

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

didn't turn the corner

he if turned the corner he would've shot underpar on sunday and leave anyone behind him with no chance

he may have won the tournament at the end, but he shouldn't have needed to play 3 playoff holes to win it, especially considering he was leading by 3 at the beginning of the final round

He's a great player, still learning how to win and manage his game. As his short game improves, more wins will come imo. Turning 5's into 4's will make all the difference for him.

Also, we're too quick to judge younger players these days. Tiger set the bar much too high for guys in their 20's. It's long been a standard that professional golfers reach their prime in their 30's. I'm withholding judgment on him, Sergio, and even CHIII (though I think he's too much of a mechanic to win much) until they're 35.

What I don't understand is all this negativity towards Adam Scott from people on this board. I've said it before and I'll say it again - show me another modern day pro golfer who by the age of 28 had racked up 7 PGA Tour wins (15 worldwide) including the Players, and the Tour Championship. Tiger is one. Who else? Phil? Furyk? Sergio? Vijay? Els? DLIII? How do their records compare? I'm asking seriously - does anyone know?

The guy gets called a choker because he dunked it left in the water at the Players and last year in Houston, and let a 3-stroke lead slip at the Byron Nelson. News Flash!! He still won those tournaments!! I could understand if he didn't, but he won all 3!

Shoots 61 on Sunday to come from 5 back in Qatar - "yeah, but it was a crappy field on the Euro Tour"

On 2 occasions he has held the 54-hole lead and not won on the PGA Tour - is that such a bad record? I think these people that criticise him now will continue to do so even if he wins a major - "he's a one-major-wonder", "he's not Tiger Woods", "yeah he won, but he almost choked".

I just don't get it... I know he has a mediocre record in Majors, but he's not the only player in that category is he? I think some people need to ease up a bit. I'm not an Adam Scott disciple as such, I just get sick of the negativity.

Give it a rest and save you're criticisms for the non-winners.

Negativity? Are we talking about Michelle Wie or Adam Scott here mate?

Sure, he's extremely talented and I personally would also like to see him win MUCH more, but a majority of the time he cannot keep it together for the entire 72 holes.

Yes, he did dodge a bullet this past weekend at the Byron Nelson...shoots under par all three rounds (54 hole lead???) and fires one over in round 4. Sure the course conditions were playing tougher on Sunday, but mentally he let it slip.

I'm not bashing Scott and I don't get that sense from this thread at all. The kid just has a lot more talent/potential than what we're seeing.

Sakman,

All the points you raise may be valid. My point is this...

You can say all of those things pretty much about any professional male golfer in the world right now other than Tiger Woods. Where are all those threads?

For someone who wins on the "big tour" consistently he sure does cop a lot of flack relative to his performances wouldn't you agree?

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Bridgestone Tour RX

hasn't turned the corner. moore played 3 very questionable playoff holes and scott could only close the deal off of a bomb - in which he probably had low expectations of making. you had a feeling that if it would have gone any longer - moore was close to getting back into a groove and would finish him on the FIRST opportunity. great players go for the throat - there is no option of continuing the playoff. the competitor has already been beat in there head. good putters become great putters. how can you be so talented and yet not have that "something" to finish?

Sakman,

You can say all of those things pretty much about any professional male golfer in the world right now other than Tiger Woods. Where are all those threads?

For someone who wins on the "big tour" consistently he sure does cop a lot of flack relative to his performances wouldn't you agree?

Without a doubt.

Scott sticks out along with Garcia, CHIII, and the rest of the 20-somethings because they were the one's the media hyped up as being the next to challenge Mr. Woods. Scott is in the spotlight now because of his victory. A few weeks ago it was Immelman and next week it'll be Phil again. ;)

Flack is a much better word than negativity in this case. I'll agree with you there.

Scott sticks out along with Garcia, CHIII, and the rest of the 20-somethings because they were the one's the media hyped up as being the next to challenge Mr. Woods. Scott is in the spotlight now because of his victory. A few weeks ago it was Immelman and next week it'll be Phil again. ;)

Aside from Immelman I think Scott's record is superior over any of his peers in that 20-something age bracket. That's all I'm trying to say. If we're going to jump on Scott and he is a regular winner, then what will we be doing to Garcia, CHIII, Donald, Poulter, Moore et al?

Sometimes I think people forget that Scott is only 28 and in many ways is a victim of his own talent, and the lofty standards set by one Eldrick Woods. Remember before Tiger? When pros reached their peak in their 30s??

;)

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Bridgestone Tour RX

hasn't turned the corner. moore played 3 very questionable playoff holes and scott could only close the deal off of a bomb - in which he probably had low expectations of making. you had a feeling that if it would have gone any longer - moore was close to getting back into a groove and would finish him on the FIRST opportunity. great players go for the throat - there is no option of continuing the playoff. the competitor has already been beat in there head. good putters become great putters. how can you be so talented and yet not have that "something" to finish?

Par, Par, Par is three questionable playoff holes for Moore in his first playoff? I don't think he had low expectations of making it all, quite the contrary he had a really good line on it. Don't forget he birdied 18 4 out of 6 times he played it.

I think there's some greatness in being faced with a challenge of being down and finding a way to overcome it. If he misses the putt on 18 in regulation, fair enough label him a choker. But I think credit should be given for coming from behind and in the end finishing.

Tiger let DiMarco catch him at the 2005 Masters, and he couldn't distance himself until the 18th green at Bay Hill. With Tiger people talk about how he won it - with Scott people talk about how he let everybody back into it.

As someone mentioned earlier, he may not have the blowout victory but he still gets the job done.

dont forget, he only won that playoff because he made a no brainer putt from 50 feet because he hit a bad tee shot and left himself in a poor position. Not like he striped it down the middle, stuck it to 5-10 feet and made the putt

Titleist Trip - New Bedford

Titleist TSi3 8* with Tensei AV Raw White 65X
Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80X
Titleist 918H2 18* with Tensei CK White 90X
Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
Vokey sm9 54, 58 with Amt x100

Evnroll ER2

First off I am a huge Scott fan, but if you look at his record in the majors it is not stellar: does not make the cut about a third of the time and when he does his average finish is 24th. That being said the list of players with multiple majors before the age of 30, I'll go with post 1960's, and yes that is still the modern era(so call me an old fart) is quite exclusive maybe 7-8 players on the list. Adam gets all this dumped on him because he is skilled, fit, long and has a world beating swing, if he was short, fat and had a swing that only his mother could love noone would care. So anth I would take it as a compliment that all of these people have high expectations, as do I. There are a few golfers I have met personally and on multiple occasions, in an intimate setting, and I must say Adam is a true gentlemen. Along with Ernie Els and Billy Andrade they are the only guys I have seen and met many times and was never let down by their social grace and kindness.

choker or lazy... best swing in the world, best instructor in the world, can not sniff even being competitive in a major, what's this crap about his short game holding him back, isn't that technique and hard work... just another example of mediocrity and being happy being a gazillionaire and getting so little out of his talent... would be shocked if he even finished top 10 in any major... turned a corner, not even close... the three wins listed above were all trainwrecks... he just managed to squeak by... my favorite part is how he spoke about being happy that he left with the trophy after the 50 foot bomb went in... if your goal is to be the best in one can be, I would think he would be upset with his inability to get some pretty short putts to the hole and win outright... sure this will make someone mad, but give me a break...

Previous post ... Major potential - Adam Scott with 2 2008 wins

Everytime I hear about Adam Scott not winning Majors it always boils down to a lack of "killer instict". Well then, would you say that Jack had a "killer instinct"? No. He never appeared to me like that at all. He was pleasant really. That still doesn't mean he wasn't burning to beat the snot out of everyone he played against. Tiger comes across as "killer instinct". During the majors, hell, during every tournament he looks like a cold blooded killer. Everyone seems to be associating Tiger's "cold blooded killer" look to the path to success in the majors. Adam absolutely wants to beat the snot out of everyone he plays against too. He hasn't been successful in the majors because he doesn't miss the ball in the right places as often as Tiger and doesn't make as many putts as Tiger period. Did anyone watch the Masters earlier this month? Or, the US Open last year? Or the Masters last year? Everyone must acknowledge how exceptional a putter Tiger is. When he wins, he normally puts incredibly. When he doesn't he just can't quite win the tournament like Masters '08, US Open '07, Masters '07. Everything always comes full circle to putting. Everything. And Tiger might be the best green reader ever.

Yes, Adam has a great swing. However, he still misses the ball both directions. If he can ever eliminate that and continue to improve with the flat stick and green reading then he will be in contention at the Majors quite often. But, he wants it terribly and has continued to improve every single year.

Previous post ...

Adam Scott, tons of talent, what's the deal?, What will it take for him to go to the next level?

As soon as he learns how to stop missing shots left, he could light the world on fire.

Think about this. 18th, Player 2004, left into the water. Wins. 18th, Shell Houston 2007, left into the water. Wins, again. All very fortunate in those examples. Buick 2006 or 2007, lost to Vijay, bad miss left on 16, double bogey, lost tournament even after finishing birdie, eagle. I watched him at Doral. Missed it left all weekend and made no move at all.

Under pressure, he loses a number of strokes from a miss left. On a bad day, I would say 5 to 6 a round. Sometimes they are penalties, but most times it results in a farther look at a putt from the hole. These strokes are what keep him from contending in even more tournaments and ultimately winning. Also, he seems to struggle on important putts. He just needs to zero in the focus some more when he faces a must make putt.

Yes, I can hear everyone clamoring about how beautiful his swing is. Everyone used to say that about Woods' swing pre Haney. Now, who thinks Tiger swing looked better or is as effective as the way he swings now? Adam's swing is pleasing to the eye, as well as his rythm, but nevertheless, it is not quite as effective as he can get it. I have seen some progress in the last year or so where he appears to be releasing the club diferently in order to eliminate the two way miss. However, a few weeks he is doing it and then not the next. He can improve. Wow, then he could be seriously dangerous.

Par, Par, Par is three questionable playoff holes for Moore in his first playoff? I don't think he had low expectations of making it all, quite the contrary he had a really good line on it. Don't forget he birdied 18 4 out of 6 times he played it.

I think there's some greatness in being faced with a challenge of being down and finding a way to overcome it. If he misses the putt on 18 in regulation, fair enough label him a choker. But I think credit should be given for coming from behind and in the end finishing.

Tiger let DiMarco catch him at the 2005 Masters, and he couldn't distance himself until the 18th green at Bay Hill. With Tiger people talk about how he won it - with Scott people talk about how he let everybody back into it.

As someone mentioned earlier, he may not have the blowout victory but he still gets the job done.

Par, Par, Par - yes... but who was in the closer position? it wasn't moore - he benefited from scotts inability to seal the deal. scott is a great golfer, but he still hasn't turned the corner to being the type of player that is an automatic in a playoff situation or that can eagle the 16th hole with an easy putt. tournament over and our discussion is not about maybe not turning the corner, its about winning a major. he gets the job done - sometimes, how many tournaments could he have won/majors too if he could just complete the job with the putter for four rounds...?

Sakman,

EXACTLY anth

FLAK is the absolute correct word here. Whenever Adam wins people STILL talk about the negative stuff - I can't stand it seriously. There are so many threads like this that talk about Adam in a negative way. I certainly get it. I know he has to win a major and I quite frankly can't wait because then he'll have the last laugh and those who doubted him can hang their head in shame. I wouldn't say he's turned the corner yet either, but he's closer to turning if that makes sense. Just give the guy some credit you know? *SIGH*

First off I am a huge Scott fan, but if you look at his record in the majors it is not stellar: does not make the cut about a third of the time and when he does his average finish is 24th. That being said the list of players with multiple majors before the age of 30, I'll go with post 1960's, and yes that is still the modern era(so call me an old fart) is quite exclusive maybe 7-8 players on the list. Adam gets all this dumped on him because he is skilled, fit, long and has a world beating swing, if he was short, fat and had a swing that only his mother could love noone would care. So anth I would take it as a compliment that all of these people have high expectations, as do I. There are a few golfers I have met personally and on multiple occasions, in an intimate setting, and I must say Adam is a true gentlemen. Along with Ernie Els and Billy Andrade they are the only guys I have seen and met many times and was never let down by their social grace and kindness.

I agree. He really needs to make a strong showing at the U.S. Open to gain some confidence going into the final two majors. U.S. Opens aren't really suited for him now, since he is not the most accurate driver and he lacks in putting, but if he can get maybe get into contention, then that would give him some momentum going into the British and the PGA where I think he has the best chances to win majors. Then, in the future, if he polishes his short game and accuracy, maybe a U.S. Open or even a Masters will be in sight.

Turned the corner and what did he find?? Majors= 0 STILL.. Running out of corners to turn.

So let me get this straight...

28 years old...

7 PGA Tour wins (including TPC and Tour Championship)...

8 more wins worldwide...

No. 3 ranked player in the world...

And he's running out of corners??? :partytime2:

Nope - you've lost me... :lol:

TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 9* Even Flow Blue 60X
Taylor Made Sim 2 Ti 15* Tensei 80 S
Srixon ZX Utility 3 Diamana Thump X

Srixon ZX5 4-7 Nippon NS Pro 120X

Srixon ZX7 8-A Nippon NS Pro 120X

Mizuno T22 56, 60 KBS C-Taper 120S
Taylor Made Spider Tour Red