Who pays for your clubs??

I have been noticing lately in the junior forum many of you have brand new equipment, TOUR equipment and the majority of the time top of the line equipment.

I was just wondering how you all can afford to purchase thousands worth of clubs been young?

I am 19 and this is how my bag came about....

*prices in Canadian funds!!!!

Ogio Pivot Bag- bought used in the paper for $40 last year

Titleist 983E driver- bought by my parents for my 18th birthday $279

Titleist 905S driver- first driver I bought myself on Friday off Nafazati? on golf WRX for $149

Callaway X-14 Pro Series Irons 3-PW- bought at Toronto golf and Travel show for my 16th birthday by my

parents again. $650

Wilson Fi5 irons- first iron set i bought myself. traded in the X-14's for $180, cost $480 with tax.

Wedges- got all these through winning various gift certificates at my course. 3 wedges FREE

Putter- bought at a store going out of business for $50

Balls- i buy from a guy i golf with $5/dozen of used ProV1's...if i play a tournament I'll buy new ones.

Up to this year I PERSONALLY have only spent under $1000 on balls, clubs, bags, etc. since I got my Cally X-14's in 2001.

My parents have spent about $1250-$1500 plus $400/y on memberships for me and tournament enteries.

ME- $1000

PARENTS/FAMILY- $3000-$3500

^ in 5 years about.

How about you ballers with Tour equipment??

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work at my golf course, so I don't have to pay for membership, range balls, carts, etc. and I get all my equipment at or below cost from my pro. My parents don't pay for anything and I pay for all my equipment as well as my university tution, rent, food, etc. I think when you do it on your own, it makes you appreciate it more. ie. some others who drag their scotty cameron putters down the cart path after a bad day of putting

just my .02 tho

In recent years no one has paid for my equipment, thats part of the reason I play almost all ping and taylor made. The tour issue equipment I carry has been given to me as has all but my putters (which I use old stuff to trade in for so I take something free...trade it in and end up with a free putter). I have two very good friends that are staff players at two diff companies...one of which is a PGA tour staffer at PING and the other of which is a Nationwide player at TMaG. So anything from either of them comes to me completely free and if it breaks i send it back and it gets bent reshafted etc for free. I haven't had to pay for balls either for the same reason the staffer at PING has a contract with FJ/Titleist for gloves shoes and balls so I've been getting that stuff for free as well or I certainly wouldn't have the number of pairs of classics I have. Also havent had to buy rainsuit bc he gave me a PING issued tour rainsuit that they give to staff players bc he didnt like it and it was too big for him. So over all my dad pays for whatever the cost of a new headcover for my fairway wood and driver is when they wear out and the price of a bag of 500 long tees.

Total over the last few yrs: probly something like 150 bucks at most.

Im currently in the process of switching all of my clubs over to Titleist except my driver (TM R5 TP) but those will be coming through either a friend there or through the college rep. or a rep I know that told me to give him a call if i ever wanted to switch over, so they wont cost much of anything. Probly going with Titleist 904 15*, Titleist 680 blades 2-9 (maybe pw), and vokey 47* (if i dont play the 680 pw), 58*, and 63*. These clubs will be payed for by my parents partially as a gift for getting into a solid school as well as the fact that theyve saved thousands over the past few yrs for not having to buy me clubs or replace shafts when they break etc. or buy me shoes etc.

I'd have to agree with the above about appreciating it more altho I havent had to pay for anything my parents and I have an understanding, if something breaks during the normal course of play (usually the companys fix it for free for me) but if they dont theyll pay but if I get pissed off and break something or scratch a putter from slamming it on a cart path then its my problem to fix etc. I mean I have the option of getting the titleist for 80-100 bucks depending on shaft or getting a sonartec 3 wood...tried both and after my dad said id have to pay the 240 dollar difference btwn a new sonartec and a new titleist...i quickly went with the titleist. lol.

Mostly me through voucher that I earn in tournaments. Sometimes my parents will pay for stuff like at birthdays, christmas or good exam results but mostly I buy my own stuff which I think is healthy. I know a lot of people who ar spoiled by the parents with top of the range equipment.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

I would be totally honest. I pay for almost all of my clubs. I tell all my relatives and parents for my birthday to give me money instead of gifts i won't use. I save this money up for all my clubs. Also i would for my dad on the weekends and get some cash also. But looking at my signature with whats in my bag its obvisous not all those things can be paid with by that. There are some things like my bag and my wedges that my parents pay for. My parents pay for the fees for all my golf but i take care of the clubs. I can never complain because i am very priviledged to have parents that help me like that. Hopefully its the same as other. MIKE

Driver: i tried to pay for it but my mom wanted to pay for it, so i didnt put up a harsh fight

3 wood, i payed for

irons, my brother got me a killer deal on them, so i took em didnt pay much i think it was like 50$

wedges: brother got me a deal for 50 each which i payed

putter: took from my brother :birthday: but helped pay for a new cameron for him.

my parents pay for most of my big equipment purchases but i work in a pro shop so i can get a few euro off shoes clubs balls etc.i have more respect for clubs i bought myself, i dont throw them around as much!!!

anyway: ping g5 comin in to replace my g2.g2 bought by parents, g5 bought by me but im trading in the g2 so it wont cost me so much

mp-33:bought off t-bone for a very reasonable price!!thanks t-bone!!!

rac mb 2 iron: bought for 50euro by me

taylormade tour bag: bought for 50euro, yes 50 euro!!!

cg10 and 900 bronze:bought by me for 160euro for bought, bout 200dollars

ping doc:bought by parents{looking at a nice scotty that t-bone has!!!]

My parents don't just go out and buy me clubs, but they'll give me money/gift certificates towards clubs for Christmas and my birthday. Otherwise I pay for everything, or I get them out of the lost and found at the course I work at. Employee discounts have saved me a couple hundered dollars on clubs in the past 2 years that I've been working.

**And for balls, I only play the highest quality Titleist Pro V1 and NXT Tour shag balls that people leave in golf carts after their round. Haven't paid for a golf ball since July of '04.

I have a job at a golf course, and the pro there is pretty much my best freind, so that works out well. I have paid for all of my equipment this year, I think I got a dozen HX Tour 56's that my parents got me for my birthday, but that is pretty much it. I get a free membership, range balls, carts, and I get great deals on equipment. A lot of my stuff was things that I bought off my pro, that he got from a rep, didn't really like, so he sold me it at a really low price.

I made a lot of money just doing the work that I did, but also I took up some caddying jobs at some bigger tourneys that I got a good deal of cash, that all went towards helping my parents pay for some of my tournaments, and all of my equipment needs. I admit, that I did not pay for balls, gloves, or tees this year at all, but everything else was paid for out of my own pocket. Paying for your own stuff does make you appreciate it much more.

My current set-up:

DRIVER - Cleveland Launcher Comp 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Blue ProLaunch 65S

- Titleist 905T 10.5º w/ Aldila NV 65S

3 WOOD - Titleist 904F 15º w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

HYBRID - Titleist 503H 22º w/ Aldila NV HYBRID 85S

IRONS - Cleveland CG2 4-PW w/ Rifle Project X 5.5

WEDGES - Titleist Bob Vokey Oil Can (50.8 and 54.10) & Spin Milled (Tour Issue)

58.08 (all) w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

PUTTER - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I went through a TON of drivers this year, mostly switching between Cleveland Comps and Titleist 905's, and I currently have one of each. I bought a brand new Comp from my pro at the beginning of the year for $150, and then later tried the a 905T 9.5º with a NVS and really liked that, so I bought that for $250 (which was a good deal back in April when they first came out), and then a swapped back and forth with different lofts and shafts all throughout the year, just trading in, and getting a new one out of the shop if I wanted to try one out. The only reason why I could do this is because I babied all of my drivers, so it looked like they had just been taken out to the range to hit a bucket of balls - so that's the driver story.

My three wood, I just bought one at the beginning of the year, and never changed. My pro didn't like the steel shaft, so I just paid him $100 for it, and off I went.

Hybrid - I played around with a Halo at the beginning of the year when they first came out, but I liked the more iron-like hybrid, so I just went with the 503.H. Total I probably paid $140 total after I put the Halo back in the shop.

Irons - I bought these towards the end of the year, I had been wanting them for a while, and I finally bit the bullet and laid down 3 bills for them from a Cleveland Rep, and then a few months ago, I threw some PX's in there, which my parents got me for a Christmas present (which I think he gave her installed w/ grips for $210).

Wedges - I love playing around with wedges, but I have always been a Vokey guy. I just pick up a new wedge if I see something that interests me, so I normally pick up a few of each finish, and then play around with them a little bit, return them, and keep the ones I like, so I probably spend $350-$400 a year on wedges.

Putter - My parents got me it for a birthday present two years ago.

The rest of my money goes towards tournaments, now that I am getting into the more national events, and playing in more and more tourneys every year I feel obligated to help them out. This year, I wrote my parents a $1,000 check to go towards gas, some of my tournament fees, and the tour memberships.

- Bryan

Driver- Late B-Day gift after my R510 cracked. $237.00 from dad

3-Wood- E-bay $43 w/ shipping, brand new.

Hybrid- Free, gift from fellow member.

Irons- 2nd Swing $199 very light use. Sweet combo set.

PW- 24.99 E-bay

54*- Haven't gottn it yet, hopefully I can find one cheap on E-bay

60*- 9.99 E-bay

Putter- $65 fellow member.

Bag- E-bay $65 again basically brand new.

Total, me $407

Parents $237+ Tournament Fees.

I've bought a few other random things, balls grips, shaft installation and I'll be getting new shoes in the next week or so. Christmas was good this year so the irons were paid for and I sold a bunch of other stuff to fill up the PayPal account. Next year I'll be caddying so I will hopefully save up enough for a new driver and shaft for my 3-wood. Diamana?

My driver and 3 are just cheap clubs from dicks that was 30

Then my warrior hybrid my parents bought cause all you had to do was pay shipping which was 20 dollars.

3-SW came with my dads starter set which he bought two years ago and he gave me those.

Putter-I just bought of TGW for 14.88 and I Love the putter

My bag I got for christmas which was about 85 dollars.

Shoes: I got for christmas from proshop for 30 dollars from my g-parents.

Balls are a mixture of golf balls people give me. I had like 300 given me to this past spring. So I was set there. And my uncle just gave me another 100.

My membership is I pay for half and that is 165.

So its a mixture of both. But my set didn't really cost that much as you can tell.

I cant thank my parents enough for what they do for me. they are probably the best parents in the world. I am not Spoiled rotten but im definately not deprived of anything either. My grandparents are great too and alsways willing to help out. My family doesnt have a problem spending the money anymore bc my parents realize that golf isnt just a hobby but a passion.

As most of you know i am a Titleist nut and that is pretty much all i will play. My parent have been great. My driver i traded in a bunch of old clubs to bring the cost way down. I Ordered my 905T 9.5* w/speeder 757 and only had to pay $120 cash for it. My irons m parents bought for me in summer 04'. My 3 wod was part of my birthday gifts. My dad knew i needed a new one so we got it for $80 bucks or so brand new then took it to get reshafted and fitted. My wedges i bought for $70 a piece brand new from my pro. My Scotty cameron Newport 2 pro plat my parents bought for me like 4 years ago. My Newport beach i bought myself for like $150 brand new. I aslo Got My JAT Proto at and unbelievable price which i decided to pay for as an investment knowing that i could sell it later. My grandmother bought me the Futura and Rescue mid TP as gifts. I got my 503.h from my pro for like $100 bucks. My bag my dad bought me and he bought me my new team bag( i ordered them for the team). Balls, gloves and shoes i get at dicounts but mostly free. My swing coach has a Titleist/FJ contract and a contract with RL Polo. So i get balls and gloves pretty much free and shoes at discounts. I always get the demos to play with whne the rep drops him new stuff to try out.

My parents or me never pay full prce for anything bc of my coach and pro at the club.

My tournaments are definately the most expeensive of all. My parents see it as an investment though bc in working toward earning a college golf schpolarship. I dont even want to estimate what they have laid out i just am very gracious and thank them all the time. But sometimes like many, my parents say they cant pay for the travel and everything to a tournament so if i really want to play in it i will buy my plane ticket and what not.

I cant thank my parents enough for all that they have done for me. I am sooo thankful, they are the best parent anyone can ask for and not just because they biuy me stuff but because of their undieing love for me as well as always being there if i need them.

Dan "goose" :birthday:

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

I pay for most of the clubs in my bag but in the case of my driver and my new irons my parents have just givin me $200 to go towards them as birthday and christmas presents.

Because i work at my local pro shop my pro gives me very good deals on clubs and i have also got some good deals on ebay so i havnt paid full price for a club yet.

• 2 weeks later...

when it comes to buyin equipment i got it pretty good, but i still end up spending betwee $500 & $1000 a year for golf stuff. I work at my local golf course, so i dont have to pay for golf or range, and i get amazing deals on clubs from my club pro. balls are usually given to me and all i basically have to buy for myself is apparel. my parents are also nice enough to pay for any tournament i want to play in. (cool)

i have to pay for every thing except my membership fees and that includes petrol money to get to events. my parents arent into the whole golf concept yet. they wouldnt know the difference between a putter and a driver and argue that i should only need one club. seriously.

know how u feel!!!none of my family, uncles or aunts on mom and dads side, cousins[all kinds of cousins!!!!], grandparents on both sides,uncles or aunts in law never touched a club!!!

I work for pocket money and use money from old clubs or my birthday!

Balls And Tees And Clothes I Don't Pay For!

Oh and i'm with u other guys! ONE DAY I PICKED OUT THE KING COBRA 460 SZ AND I SHOWED IT TO MY MOTHER AND SHE ASKED IS THAT A PUTTER I SPLIT MY SIDES AND HIT THE FLOOR LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody From Ireland Know Any Other Ways To Make Money I.E CADDYING or get clubs cheap (DONT SAY EBAY, MY PARENTS HATE IT AND I WAS AVOUT TO BUY A MINT FUSION 5 WOOD FOR 130 EURO!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I work for pocket money and use money from old clubs or my birthday!

Balls And Tees And Clothes I Don't Pay For!

Oh and i'm with u other guys! ONE DAY I PICKED OUT THE KING COBRA 460 SZ AND I SHOWED IT TO MY MOTHER AND SHE ASKED IS THAT A PUTTER I SPLIT MY SIDES AND HIT THE FLOOR LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody From Ireland Know Any Other Ways To Make Money I.E CADDYING or get clubs cheap (DONT SAY EBAY, MY PARENTS HATE IT AND I WAS AVOUT TO BUY A MINT FUSION 5 WOOD FOR 130 EURO!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

im from ireland and the best way of makin money is definetely caddying.near me in adare and doonbeg you can get 200-250 euro for a days caddyin.the americans just throw money at you.their v generous with their tips

I tend to go 50/50 on my clubs with my parents. I work at my golf course and i get a free membership and get great deals on all products from the club pro. (below cost) I went 50/50 on my irons but the driver was a bday present and the rest i have paid for by myself. It helps to be in the industry which allows you to buy products at about 50% of the normal cost.

I too am extremley fortunate as far as my parents occupation is concerned. I will not go into details, but money never has, or will be an issue for me. I thank god every day that i am lucky enough to have the family that I do. It isn't just the income, but how supportive my family is too!

To put it simply I am a club hoe.

Luckily my Dad is too so we have our own little support group :pimp: :cheesy:

Here is a run down of the equipment that just I purchased last year:

Drivers:

Cleveland Launcher comp tour- aldila NV 85 Stiff. 600.00

Titleist 983 e YS 6 Stiff 500.00

Taylormade r7 quad aldila NV Stiff 9.5 500.00

Taylormade r5 dual TP- diamana 83 stiff 800.00

Titleist 905 s Purple ice stiff 650.00

Callawy ft3 Tour issue- 9.5 Sccra tour 60 stiff 700.00

Taylormade r510 tp Speeder 757 stiff. 300.00

Fairway woods:

Sonartec ss 3.5 Tour platform 26.3 stiff 300.00

V steel tour Dynamic gold SL stiff 200.00

Taylormade rescue dual tp 14* Diamana h stiff 475.00

Taylormade rescue dual tp 19* 475.00

Titleist pt 15* 50.00

Irons:

Cleveland CG1 dynamic Gold stiff 1200.00

Cleveland CG2 Tour Concept stiff 1400.00

Titleist 690 mb tour grind Dynamic gold stiff 560.00

Taylormade rac lt Dynamic Gold stiff 1000.00

Bridgestone j33 forged combo stiff 1000.00

Ping s59 Cushin stiff 800.00

Ben Hogan FTX Dynamic gold stiff 1100.00

Callaway x tour Dynamic gold stiff 1300.00

Wedges:

Titleist vokey 256- 52, 56, 60* 500.00

Taylormade rac satin 52, 56, 60* 450.00

Bridgestone j33 forged 52, 56, 60* 350.00

Ping mb 54, 58* 275.00

Putters:

Scotty Cameron JAT 35" 800.00

Scotty Cameron studio stainless 35" 350.00

Scotty Cameron Red x 33" 400.00

Ping Anser x 32" 100.00

Odyessey 2 ball 35" 175.00

Remember the equipment listed above are clubs I used for this year only!

I f you were to add up the cost of these clubs it means that I spent $17 310.00 , add about 3000 for balls, shafts etc., 5000 for tournaments etc. and other clubs I have forgotten about and I am up close to 25,000-30,000 in equipment! :D :D :yahoo: :)

I am *@&!&*$ nuts!

:D

WITB:
Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei RAW AV White Proto 2.0 65TX
Titleist TSi3 14.25* - Tensei RAW AV White Proto 2.0 75TX
Hybrid TBD
Mizuno HMB 4&5i 1* weak - Nippon Modus 125X
Mizuno MB 6-PW - Nippon Modus 125X
Mizuno 50/07 T20 Raw - Nippon Modus 125X

Mizuno 54/12 & 58/08 - DG S400 Tour Issue

Bettinardi Tour Mallet

my driver - taylormade r7 quad - i payed for half and my dad payed for half it was 350.00

3 and 5 wood 904 5 wood and sonartec 3 wood got with birthday money and chores money

irons- titleist 735.cm - bar mitzvah present from my parents

wedges - i payed for them with money i got from caddieing.

putter - scotty cameron pro platnium - my grandparents got me it for my barmitzvah.

I too am extremley fortunate as far as my parents occupation is concerned. I will not go into details, but money never has, or will be an issue for me. I thank god every day that i am lucky enough to have the family that I do. It isn't just the income, but how supportive my family is too!

To put it simply I am a club hoe.

Luckily my Dad is too so we have our own little support group :pimp: :cheesy:

Here is a run down of the equipment that just I purchased last year:

Drivers:

Cleveland Launcher comp tour- aldila NV 85 Stiff. 600.00

Titleist 983 e YS 6 Stiff 500.00

Taylormade r7 quad aldila NV Stiff 9.5 500.00

Taylormade r5 dual TP- diamana 83 stiff 800.00

Titleist 905 s Purple ice stiff 650.00

Callawy ft3 Tour issue- 9.5 Sccra tour 60 stiff 700.00

Taylormade r510 tp Speeder 757 stiff. 300.00

Fairway woods:

Sonartec ss 3.5 Tour platform 26.3 stiff 300.00

V steel tour Dynamic gold SL stiff 200.00

Taylormade rescue dual tp 14* Diamana h stiff 475.00

Taylormade rescue dual tp 19* 475.00

Titleist pt 15* 50.00

Irons:

Cleveland CG1 dynamic Gold stiff 1200.00

Cleveland CG2 Tour Concept stiff 1400.00

Titleist 690 mb tour grind Dynamic gold stiff 560.00

Taylormade rac lt Dynamic Gold stiff 1000.00

Bridgestone j33 forged combo stiff 1000.00

Ping s59 Cushin stiff 800.00

Ben Hogan FTX Dynamic gold stiff 1100.00

Callaway x tour Dynamic gold stiff 1300.00

Wedges:

Titleist vokey 256- 52, 56, 60* 500.00

Taylormade rac satin 52, 56, 60* 450.00

Bridgestone j33 forged 52, 56, 60* 350.00

Ping mb 54, 58* 275.00

Putters:

Scotty Cameron JAT 35" 800.00

Scotty Cameron studio stainless 35" 350.00

Scotty Cameron Red x 33" 400.00

Ping Anser x 32" 100.00

Odyessey 2 ball 35" 175.00

Remember the equipment listed above are clubs I used for this year only!

I f you were to add up the cost of these clubs it means that I spent $17 310.00 , add about 3000 for balls, shafts etc., 5000 for tournaments etc. and other clubs I have forgotten about and I am up close to 25,000-30,000 in equipment! :D :D :yahoo: :)

I am *@&!&*$ nuts!

:D

wow....at least you put the money to good use. my only question is where do you live where rescue dual tps cost 475 and j33 combos cost 1000......are they all tour issused??

Sorry papichulosteve,

I live in Canada... all prices are in canadian monies. :)

My bad.

Although most of my equipment is TOUR! :cheesy:

WITB:
Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei RAW AV White Proto 2.0 65TX
Titleist TSi3 14.25* - Tensei RAW AV White Proto 2.0 75TX
Hybrid TBD
Mizuno HMB 4&5i 1* weak - Nippon Modus 125X
Mizuno MB 6-PW - Nippon Modus 125X
Mizuno 50/07 T20 Raw - Nippon Modus 125X

Mizuno 54/12 & 58/08 - DG S400 Tour Issue

Bettinardi Tour Mallet

i have to wait until birthdays and christmas for new clubs. I use my money for like balls and shoes stuff like that. Ive got

983k got xmas

904f paid in comp vouchers

Titleist dci 990's two bdays ago

vokey gap wedge got two bdays ago

rac sand wedge birthday

scrappy old putter found in garage saving 4 scotty

my freind went to golf shop other day came back with new 3 wood he didnt pay anything for it i was like what