2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MP60 vs. MP32, Differences

AHunnerdOut

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been written and I found it to be somewhat true in my fitting session that you loose a few yards with the Mizzies - I suspect it's a combination of slightly higher trajectory and spin rates, and the softer carbon steel material.

My fitter suggested to offset this with DGSL shafts which added a few mph to my swing speed and made up the distance deficiancy....

Srixon Z785 6-P
PXG 0211 4h & 5h
Mizuno T 56/58/60
Tour Edge C721 10.5 w/Ventus Red R
PXG 0341 Proto 3w
Titleist 909 5w
TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs Spider
Snell MTB-X

I have a set of the 32s and one of my buddies has the 60s. Personally I don't see much of a difference between them either in launch or distance. I prefer the looks of the 32 over the 60 (better shaped head, less offset). The reason I left them and went back to my Titleist irons is I didn't think they were any more forgiving than my 681s. A mishit with the 32s will lose just as much distance as any other blade. Same with the 60s IMO. I think it comes down to a matter of which look you prefer and which one gives you more confidence over the ball.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

I had both sets although not with same shafts in past 2 months and I'm using MP32's right now. MP60's are slightly more forgiving but I felt that I was hitting the ball better with MP32, forces me to concentrate on making a good swing.

I couldn't really tell the trajectory differences between those 2 sets but I do think MP60's are more forgiving in longer irons. Pitching wedge of MP60's seems slightly larger than MP32's, don't know if it's true or not but it seems that way.

DITTO.....

The 60's are nice CB's but there are so many nice perimeter-weighted CB out there. (The new Bridgestone J33 CB is another one to add to the same list). Putting the "cut muscle" inside of a perimeter weighted CB pretty much negates any of the functional benefit. The perimeter weighting dominates functionality there.

The 32's however, have broken new ground and are in a class by themselves. The 32's are actually pretty large and thick for a blade design but still have all of a blade's attributes. The cut muscle is truly functional on the 32's and indeed is the feature that makes them more forgiving than most Player's CB's. In fact, the manufacturer, (Mizuno) can claim only a mere 10% improvement in forgiveness if you choose the 60's over the 32's. (No decent ballstriker is going to even notice that small of a difference). The "meaty" feel of the 32's more than makes up for that, and of course, the 32's look a whole lot better as well. Once you hit the 32's, you are truly spoiled by that nice "meaty" feel. The 60's feel nice for a CB, but not the same feel as the 32's.

Go with the 32's!

I agre 100%. In fact, I hit the 32's better and they feel better to me.

What is the highest handicap recommended for the mp32s? Im a 9 handicap and would LOVE them!

I was a 15 when I purchased them. I'v tried to replace them with "more forgiving" irons, but have failed to do so. Don't get me wrong, there are definatly more forgiving irons (R7TP's, I-596's, X-20 Tours), but nothing I have hit is better feeling, easier or longer, and I have hit everything except the Miura's.

What is the highest handicap recommended for the mp32s? Im a 9 handicap and would LOVE them!

You should be fine with them.

I've had both sets, identically set up with X100's and Rifle 6.5's in them. Yes...4 sets. I loved the feel of the 32's and in my opinion they felt much more crisper then the 60's. As someone said, the 60's do have slightly more offset, but forgiveness wise, I didn't notice that much of a difference in either set. If anything the only diffence was a slight edge in offcenter hits with the 60's vs 32's with less distance lost. I also thought the 32's hit the ball much higher then the 60's which probably goes against normal thought considering the head design. I found shot shaping to be easy with both sets.

If I were to make a choice on either one, I'd go for the 60's just for the mental part that it's slightly more forgiving then the 32's. A little more confidence in the head before you swing never hurts. :bigwhack:

Those Tourstage X-Blade CB's you're playing are the SHIZNIG!

Awsome irons. Where did you buy them and how much?

Great discussion regarding the differences between the mp32 and mp60. Does anyone know how both of these clubs compare to the Titleist 735.cm? Any comments would be greatly appreciated?

If you were to compare a mixed set of Mizzy's (60's & 32's) and the 735.cm's tehn you wold hav a progressive set in both.

Aside from that there are no comparisons, IMO. The Mizzy's are softer, more controlable, better designed and longer.

If you haven't tried them, try them. If you have and still like the 735, then good luck.

Ryun, I noticed you are now playing R7 TPs. How do you find them compared to the MP-32 and perhaps the MP-60/32 combo? I am playing the 32 these days and thinking about trying R7 TPs. I have reviewed some postings here but want to hear your personal experience on R7 TP compared to the 32.

Thanks...

I know you asked Ryan, but I also have a set of the TP's. If I'm off a lit'l/lot, I'll go to the R7TP's.. $$MONEY$$.

They're not as nice looking or as soft, but they are a GREAT set of clubs. Easy to hit and extremely forgiving.

I have a set (5I thru PW), plus the 07 staff bag, for sale. PM me if you're interested.

For what its worth, I was just looking at the Maltby Playability Ratings on these irons:

MP 32 412

MP 60 451

Since the MPF ratings go from the low 300s to 1200, I would think there is almost no difference in those irons.

Some interesting clubs that were rated easier than both of those:

Titleist 695 MB (yes, the blades) 523

Callaway x-forged 636.

For what its worth, I was just looking at the Maltby Playability Ratings on these irons:

MP 32 412

MP 60 451

Since the MPF ratings go from the low 300s to 1200, I would think there is almost no difference in those irons.

Some interesting clubs that were rated easier than both of those:

Titleist 695 MB (yes, the blades) 523

Callaway x-forged 636.

Thias is inetersting. I have always owned at least one set of Mizuno's, and currently own 60's and 32's.

I have also in the last twelve months had the opportunity to play extensively (more than five rounds) with the 695MB's and the X Forged.

I would rate them as follows:

60's (easiest)

32's

695MB's

X Forged (hardest)

The X Forged are a wonderful club, but tended to dig too much for me.

The 695MB's are a great blade, and totally underrated; very solid and playable.

I shot 74 first time out with my 32's with PX 6.0's, but on occassion I find them to dig a little too much.

The 60's are just a great iron...period...and even better with the PX's.

I know some people on this site live by the Maltby ratings, but as you can see, my actual experience was almost exactly the opposite.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

I've tried almost every type of Mizuno iron... I am definitely a Mizzy-Ho.

I am currently playing a combo set of 2-5 in the 60's and 6-PW in the 67's. (I find the 67's to be slightly better than the 32's with respect to performance and appearance.) I have my 67's 1 degree strong to match the lofts of the 60's specs in case I decide to swap out certain irons. I play the combo set for that little extra forgiveness in the longer irons, but don't notice any dramatic difference in ball flight. I also swear by my DG X-100 Sensicore shafts.

I am a low handicapper that has also attempted hitting X-Forged, X-Tours, R7TP, and most of the Titleist blades... nothing comes close for me to any of the Mizuno irons!

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I have been hitting the MP-33's for the past few years, and I was sold on getting the MP-60's to replace them, but after hitting them a few times, and then hitting my current 33's, I just dont like them as much, so I am thinking about demoing the 32's, which I would think would be more similar to the 33's. Is that correct thinking?

• 4 weeks later...

Great thread..I went with MP 60 with rifle after reading various threads and then being fitted by Mizuno. In the real world the rifle launches way too high and I needed to go back to S300s. Tested them all again and the MP 32 is a revelation - it just feels so much more solid than the 60...pulled the trigger.

Several posters have summed this up but in short MP32 is a better golf club in every area other than forgiveness. The difference in forgiveness from 5 iron up is marginal. If forgiveness is an issue then buy the i506...if not...MP32 all the way...

Ping G425 LST 10.5* Tour 65 S
Ping G425 Max 14.5* Tour 75 S
Ping G425 Hybrids 19*/22* Tour 85 S
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW DG 120 S400
Mizuno T20 Raw 50,54,58 DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron Phantom x 5 34"

• 2 weeks later...

I swapped 37's for 32's late last season (in Canada) both had DG S300's and i am struggling with ball flight in the high irons, i switched to add a tad of forgiveness in the irons but find the control of the high irons a challenge, the added offset in the 32's generate an unwanted slight fade that creates a balloning effect with the slightest miss.

I am forced to play the ball back in my stance and hood the face to try and negate the fade and keep the ball on a lower/better ball flight. I have also struggled with distance loss.

Do the 67's generate a lower ball flight, do i need to flip out the high irons and add back in the 37's?

I have the 60's. I'm 6'0" and they are 1/4" long and 2 degrees upright. with x100 shafts. I have a high ball flight with them. I have always had a high ball flight.

We have a demo set of 32's (standard length, lie, S300 shaft) at our golf course.

It was a tough decision when I made it. I'm a pretty solid ball striker and can hit most anything(3 handicap). I REALLY wanted to play the 32's. Mostly, because of the look. When I would take them on the range , I hit them great. Played probably 5 rounds with them as well. Played pretty well.

But, I had to make the right decision. The question for me was this. Over the long haul, which club would I benefit from? Which club would help when I wasn't hitting it great?

The answer in both cases were the 60's. They are so smooth and crisp. They are forgiving as well. My best ball strike with the 32 or the 60's were identical. My bad shots were far better with the 60's. Not necessarily left/right, but I would lose distance.

JJ Henry's is pretty good. He plays the 60's. Many, many pro's are playing players cavities these days. They make their living playing golf so they will play what works and is most consistent.

Sometimes, you have to swallow your pride a bit. I would love to have the 32's in my bag. They just look great. But, they would cost me strokes.