Graffaloy Epic Shaft

So shaft arrives, they sent the 68r instead of the s! Can anyone comment on the stiffness? DOes it play closer to stiff compared to the stock fujikura shaft in the XL?

I bought the R by accident (my SS is 102 mph), instead of returning...i had my clubbuilder tip is 1.5". It plays a little stiffer, but not as stiff as a stiff. I have a smooth tempo, smooth transition so this club fits me really well.

I did the Bridgestone Ball Fitting challenge, my numbers with the B330 RX

HS 103.1

BV 146.8

LA 13.1

BS 2090

SS +12

Carry 256

Not sure how true those numbers are...but this combo is a bomb!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of questions here. I was playing with a guy today and he had the Epic 68 s and he was crushing the ball. We both were hitting the Ft-5 and I have the stock shaft Fuji 360 stiff. So I ask the guy if I could hit it and I was smoking it too. Felt really good and I'm very interested in trying it on my Ft-5. I hit the ball between 260-300. If I miss I tend to balloon it some and lose distance with some height. Sounds like from reading this thread that the tour 75 is a bit of a lower launch than the 68. Is that right? The 68 seemed like a lower launch than my Fuji 360. And is the Ft-5 a .335 or .350? Looking forward to your responses.

HI............I TOOK THE VOODOO S (HALF OF THE TITLEIST VOODOO SHAFTS OUT THERE SPEC OUT WRONG, MOSTLY TOO SOFT) OUT OF MY TITLEIST 909 D2 AND INSTALLED THE EPIC 68 STIFF......BIG DIFF HERE WITH ACCURACY AS WELL AS HIGHER AND LONGER......REALLY LIKE IT......BUT........A LITTLE TOO HIGH FOR MY LIKING AS WELL AS A BIT TOO MUCH DRAW (BUT IN PLAY) AND AM SWITCHING TO THE 75GR TOUR STIFF.........I DEMOED ONE AND IT'S HEAVEN TAKING THE 68 AND PUTTING IT IN AN ADAMS 8.5 XTD PRO TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS

I HAVE A DRIVER SWING SPEED OF AROUND 102-110+.....DEPENDS ON MY BACK THAT DAY......AND THE TOUR 75 S+ IS GOOD FOR ME.........AND THE FAIRWAY EPIC!!!!!! THE BEST OUT THERE IMO......TOOK THE STOCK DIAMANA OUT OF MY TITLEIST 909 F2......WOW.........REALLY IS AMAZING LOWER-LONGER-STRAIGHTER....MY BUDS HATE IT WHEN I TEE OFF WITH IT.....LOL.....BEATS THEIR DRIVERS......MY DRIVER ALREADY DID....BUT WITH THE 3 WOOD.....DEMORALIZING AND I LOVE IT

THE SHAFT FEELS AND LOOKS LIKE A NORMAL GRAPHITE TO ME.....JUST SMOOTHER AND ALOT MORE SOLID....NOT BOARDY AT ALL..........I LOVE THESE SHAFTS................

NOW IF I CAN JUST FIND THE RIGHT SHAFT FOR MY IRONS.......90-92 SP......I'D BE IN HEAVEN......GETTING FITTED MONDAY AND CAN'T WAIT........GAME IS AT A 7 HNDP AND THIS SHOULD GET ME TO "0".....I HOPE

GOOD LUCK

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting an Epic R put in my Mizuno 600 next Wednesday, ( if UPS is on time). I have a SS of about 89-95. I bought the Mizuno on ebay for a super great deal, but it had the Graffaloy Red Pro Launc in stiff and I just can't get it to work for me. When I do, it is nice, but is usually only about 225. I am 5'7", 150, slim. I am hoping this shaft can help me keep more balls in the fairway.

I took my MP 001 with 9* stiff fujikura 70 out to the range today. I am having a tough time deciding whether to get the 001 or the 600 fast trac reshafted with the Epic R.

I was actually hitting the 001 good today. Seems I always hit well on the range though. LOL

The MP 600 @ 10* has a Graffaloy Red pro Launch S that is way to satiff for me.

If you had this decision to make what would consider doing?

how mould this shaft be in a taylor made tour burner (non tp model)

I have had a .350 epic shaft just sitting around for about 6 months

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Took the Mizuno MP 600 driver out today for the first time. All I can say is WOW!!!Straight and long. I am going to enjoy this Epic adventure. The shaft is now a 68 R Epic.

Hi,

Just spined and installed my Epic 68-R today and plan to use tomorrow, I'm really keen to test, I've just read so many POSITIVE reviews, especially at:

http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_2518177_graf...eReview=7006491

I must say, prepping is certainly different, the clearcoat is quite thick. I finished up carefully scraping clearcoat off tip, then used scotchbrite fine belt to lightly prep, then diamond coated 6mm cylinder dremell bit to lightly scuff.

I think many of the noted EPIC shaft breakages have happened due to wrongly prepping, maybe they thought the silver nanofuse surface was paint.

I'll report back after using tomorrow.

Cheerz :) :D ;)

Hi,

Unfortunately I made an assumption that proved wrong :russian_roulette: , I assumed Grafalloy Epic shaft fitting was same as ALDILA with no tip trimming for standard bore hosels.

I just cut butt to length and found the 68-Reg was just a little too soft and some balls going a little left and ball flight was lower than expected, obviously because the kickpoint on untipped shaft was higher than EPIC was designed for.

Going to remove shaft tomorrow using my safe JB's Hydraullic Shaft Extractor Pro, then tip the 1.25", add butt extension, spine then re-install and give another try on Friday.

I'll report back with findings.

I had this shaft install and went to the driving range for about 30 minutes. AT first I faded/sliced the ball do to the extra weight compaired to the shaft being replaced. Made a couple adjustment with the grip and started to hit hi straite shots. I was clearing a 100ft net at 250 yards into a 10-20 mph wind with crap range balls, and i do mean crap.

I have not used it on the couse yet. When I get a chance to hit it on the course I will post what I think.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Hi,

These EPIC are quite a shaft, let me just say different from conventional graphite shafts.

I normally use NVS-65R as I tend to swing flatish and need a higher launching shaft.

My first outing wasn't promising, I hit alot of low hooks and just couldn't come to grips with the EPIC. I was determined and a couple buddies and me after the first outing, went on the practice range and I starting going for it and hit some really good, high and long carry drives with range balls. The others also hit it and were quite surprised just how stable it is.

7.jpg

8.jpg

The images show the metal casing (nano-fuse).

I used it again today and results were much more promising, straighter and higher ball flight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sure, I've pulled the EPIC a couple of times now and re-installed with no issues.

The most critical thing is not to over-prep the tip, once you get the original painted surface off tip, only lightly sand to tip prep.

If it's a pull shaft, only lightly sand to remove old epoxy, you can't remove any of the metal outer sleeve as the tip overall is quite thin, check my pictures above of cutoff tip section.

Has anyone ever pulled this shaft and put it in another head? I just bought a new driver and want to switch it to my old epic shaft. Not sure If I should just buy a new shaft or have someone swap try to swap it out.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought an Epic Fairway X shaft to put in a Callaway Steehead III 3 wood head. I've seen the troubles that people have found with inproper instatallation and want to try to avoid that. Does anyone know of a good shop here in the Chicago area to put this together for me? Is there anything I need to be worried about with the bore thru head on the Callaway's? Any advice and recommendations would be a great help. Thanks!

Hi,

Installing EPIC is no different from other graphite shafts.

The thing to be careful is when prepping the tip, I:

1. Tip cut accordingly - #3 wood 0", #4/5 wood 0.5", #7 wood 1.0", #9 wood 1.5"
  2. Tape shaft tip at end of hosel when inserted fully
  3. Use a stanley knife to scrape back the clearish painted surface
  4. Very lightly hand sand the tip, it'll look a shiny metallic finish

You can't and must not remove any of the nano-fuse metal sleeve surface as the graphite wall is thinner than most other shafts.

Tip breakages would be a result of a clubmaker thinking the metallic surface is paint and removing too much.

Anyone hit any of the Tour versions of this? I was thinking about getting the Epic Tour 75 x stiff in my Superquad TP. Do you think that would be a good match? I was looking for better accuracy and control then the stock TP shaft and maybe a bit lower ball flight. My swing speed is about 115 and have the TP stiff 65 in right now. Thanks!

:diablo: The Taylormade 2007 Burner TP 9.5* + Grafalloy Epic 68X = :beruo: Pure POWER with amazing accuracy and consistency this is an absolute bomber the best driver shaft combo i have ever hit.
The Epic can transform your driver, it is the coolest looking shaft on the market and in my opinion the new yardstick the only shafts i would rate next to this are the Diamana's and Oziks and maybe the Speeder 757 but with all three of those costing nearly three times that of the Epic they aren't worth it as you don't get anything extra for your cash.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Reshafted a 9* Tour Edge Exotic with a Regular flex Epic thinking the "steel-like" torque numbers would mean the shaft plays a bit on the stout side, and so glad I did. The regular feels like a stiff to me-- at least a Fuji or Graffaloy stff. What I was hoping to fix was a feeling of instability at impact that the stock Fuji shaft <56 grams> was giving me. Mission accomplished. This head is now rock solid even on mishits. Still get some feedback, just not that unpleasant tiny clanky feeling.

This shaft is terrific. Great manners. Nice smooth loading. But still has some heft to it, so you feel like it can be swung by King Kong and hold up just fine. It does launch pretty high, but still rolls out just fine. I was expecting a bit more roll, but for me anyway, it's cancelled out by more carry. I have a swing speed of 96-98 and carry the ball 230-235. I've added 15 yds to that <measured with a Bushnell>.

Love the shaft. Graixs are cool too. Am thinking about doing my Sonartec 3 wd, which currently has a Fuji Tour Platform. Hit it great, but seems a little whippy for me. I really love the feel of the Epic.

• 1 year later...

Can anyone comment on how stout these shafts play? I'm particularly interested in the fairway version in x flex. Im right in between a stiff and an x in most shafts. Plat x100s in my irons, x flex ozik Altus in my hybrid, and a Harrison Saga 60 stiff tipped an inch. Bought an x flex fairway shaft but I'm hesitant to install it in my g15 even though I'm spinning it too much because I'm hitting it really straight.

• 2 months later...

I have the Epic 85g hybrid shaft in stiff in my Cobra Baffler DWS playing 40.5" and tipped 2"

After a day on the range where I was absolutely demolishing the ball, I decided to take it onto the course with me, and I was absolutely amazed in the performance. I have never been a fan of hybrids, and after using the stock NV Proto 65g in the baffler, I was pretty disheartened about the club. After a change in shaft, it's been night and day. The feel of the shaft is incredible; it's so stable and the dispersion is just what Grafalloy said it would be: tight.

I absolutely recommend the shaft if you're looking for a stable, solid hybrid shaft that will minimize dispersion without sacrificing distance. I can't speak to shaft durability just yet as I have only had the shaft installed for about a week. Also, the deal on Golfsmith right now is amazing. I got my Epic for $20.

• 1 year later...

I purchased the Epic 68 S new from eBay. Golfsmith installed it in a TM Burner 420 Ti on 2.16.2012.Today I took a practice swing and club head felt loose. One wiggle and I pulled it off.Tip is still inside the club head.I guess this tipless shaft now trash.Good thing a Nike VR Tour came by USPS today.

• 3 years later...

Coming up on 10 years since the EPIC release, this shaft still remains relevant and is one of the best FW/HY shafts on the market today. Dispersion in insanely tight. I can't recommend the EPIC enough.

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

I have two sitting around prepped and gripped for a 3 and 5 if anyone needs 'em.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x