2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

TIGER'S SEASON IS OVER (Merged)

lilhellmaker17

Jack's Take on Tiger....

--------------

Nicklaus even more amazed at Tiger's victory

By DOUG FERGUSON, AP Golf Writer

Jack Nicklaus always thought the U.S. Open was the hardest and most complete test in golf. That's what made Tiger Woods' victory even more impressive to the man whose major record Woods is trying to beat.

"To have a will as strong as that, I take my hat off to him," Nicklaus said Thursday.

Nicklaus was in Utah on Monday while Woods was going 19 holes for a playoff victory over Rocco Mediate at Torrey Pines, and later learned the source of Woods' pain.

Woods said Wednesday that he had a torn ligament the last 10 months and a double stress fracture in his left leg that he suffered two weeks before the U.S. Open. He twice rallied from a one-shot deficit on the 18th hole, first to get into a playoff on Sunday, then to extend the playoff one extra hole.

He said he will have surgery to repair a torn ACL and will miss the rest of the season.

"In light of this week's revelation about Tiger's health, it makes his performance in the U.S. Open that much more phenomenal," Nicklaus said. "I have always said that the U.S. Open is the most difficult and complete examination of a golfer, and for him to persevere with a damaged knee and stress fracture is a testament not only to his ability, but his tremendously high level of competitiveness."

Nicklaus issued a statement through his office because he was inundated with requests for comments.

As for Woods missing the rest of the year, Nicklaus said he understood— even if he could not relate.

"I am sincerely sorry for him," said Nicklaus, captain of four Presidents Cup teams on which Woods played. "I understand how difficult it is for him to walk away from the game, especially with two major championships and a Ryder Cup on the horizon. But I also know that Tiger is a very intelligent young man, and he has made a decision that is best for the long term and the rest of his career."

Nicklaus won a record-tying four U.S. Opens among his 18 professional majors, and he was never slowed by injury until late in his career. He only withdrew from one major, the 1983 Masters, with a back injury after the tournament started.

Woods' season-ending surgery means he will not be able to catch one record that Nicklaus owns—146 consecutive majors played, a streak that coincidentally ended 10 years ago at Royal Birkdale when Nicklaus did not play the British Open.

"Tiger is one of the best-conditioned golfers I have ever been around, so I fully expect for him to do what is necessary to get back to competitive shape in the shortest amount of time possible and return strong next season," Nicklaus said. "Personally, I look forward to that return. Tiger is a great person and great champion, and he is important to the game of golf."

Gracious words by the golden bear....

or his publicis

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what is it that really matters? i'd chose health over a billion dollars every day. i'd chose health over a us open title every day. someone has to protect woods from being himself. his incredible drive is going to drive him against a wall, if he continues like this.

Anyone who would choose health over greatness deserves neither...

"Every man dies, but not everyone truly lives"

Tiger has greatness..I would much rather be a legend than someone who lived till I was 90.

You must be terrified to get in your car and drive somewhere. After all it is the most dangerous thing anyone can do.

I think Tiger's biggest problem is overtraining... mentally he's tougher than his body will ever be. Less is more for tiger, and he mentioned that he will have to do things differently.

Tiger played hurt, others play hurt too in other sports all the time. If somebody like Jerry Rice can come back and play football again as a wide receiver, Tiger will be able to make a golf swing.

Some of you are blowing this way out of proportion. This is not a sport where you are running. It may take some time.. but Tiger will win again... ... perhaps right where he left off.

Many of you also forget how Tiger's mind works when he's presenting with challenges. Tiger fully embraces them and always seems to rise to the ocassion. Just PLAYING the US Open is an example of this. Do you really think this ACL thing is going to stop him from surpassing Jack's major record. I don't believe it for a second, Tiger is too special of individual.

I also like watching the other players vie for titles too, the Player's was a great tournament to watch. So let's just take that time to get a chance to watch some of the other players too. I personally relate and learn more watching Rocco and Paul with their talent and physical limitations competing at the highest levels.

Folks also have to remember, while an ACL is critical in any sport, it is more critical in contact sports or sports where you need to make constant and repetitve motions. Tiger, if he needs to, can change his swing, to reflect his new reality. He's done it before to take pressure off the knee.

What is staggering, is that he says he's played with the pain for over 10 years and can't wait to be healthy. That could be an ominous sign for the rest of the PGA pros ourt there.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

That's why we used the word "LIKE" if you noticed. Not a literal example my friend. :russian_roulette:

He's the best. Just like a soldier in battle! Golf..........what a game!!!!!!!

I'm not trying be an a** here but there is no comparison to soldiers (or Marines, Sailors, or Airmen) in battle. I highly doubt Tiger risked death while walking through Torrey Pines.

I'm Tiger fan too, but lets reserve hero status for people who actually risk their lives for the sake of others.

Amen to that! Sportsmen are not warriors.

That's why we used the word "LIKE" if you noticed. Not a literal example my friend. :russian_roulette:

He's the best. Just like a soldier in battle! Golf..........what a game!!!!!!!

I'm not trying be an a** here but there is no comparison to soldiers (or Marines, Sailors, or Airmen) in battle. I highly doubt Tiger risked death while walking through Torrey Pines.

I'm Tiger fan too, but lets reserve hero status for people who actually risk their lives for the sake of others.

Amen to that! Sportsmen are not warriors.

True enough! Just got a little emotional! ;)

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

Yes, you are romanticizing. It was plain stupid for him to play. I hope he is happy now.

Hahahahaha!!! What are you even talking about?? He won the freakin' US Open!! I'd say he's plenty happy.

He'll get his operation, rehab and be back next year to start winning more majors! It's not like he lost a leg or something! Guys come back from ACLs and play NBA basketball and NFL football for cryin' out loud.

Eldrick Will never stop wining. 6 Months off and all he will be doing is putting and short game. Come on there are guys on tour that cringe at that fact Tiger HAS NEVER Won a golf tournament with his golf swing always with his putter. Look at those long puts he made NOBODY Else on tour could make those consistently like Tiger Nobody. Guy like Woody Austin even say what the F&%K i hit the ball way better tee to green he just holed all his puts. Well no duh that is how to win a golf tournament so all you Tiger haters shut up and get your a** on the practice green the guy is a freaking inspiration to watch putt

Thank goodness his season is over. As the media claims, he is not God. If he were he wouldn't need an 18 hole playoff against Rocco. I think God would win by at least 30 strokes, and God has no ego so he wouldn't have the need to even show up.

Me thinks you're taking this a little too seriously.

Thank goodness his season is over. As the media claims, he is not God. If he were he wouldn't need an 18 hole playoff against Rocco. I think God would win by at least 30 strokes, and God has no ego so he wouldn't have the need to even show up.

Me thinks you're taking this a little too seriously.

Who knows......we might see some cute Tiger Buddha figurines sometime in the future. Something like this.....

This very well proves, that Woods is incapable of making rational, sensible decisions. I wonder how he is able to play stratetig golf, if he cannot even be smart with what really matters.

I just had to reply to this as well. "What really matters"?? and may I assume that you would be the best beacon for determining what this might be for Tiger?? Incapable of making sensible decisions?? Maybe if you make close to a billion dollars by the time you're 32, you might deserve the right to make such flippant comments. In the meantime, a little humility and compassion may do your soul some good. Peace! You need it.

so what is it that really matters? i'd chose health over a billion dollars every day. i'd chose health over a us open title every day. someone has to protect woods from being himself. his incredible drive is going to drive him against a wall, if he continues like this.

This is a knee we are talking about...not a heart transplant or a brain tumor. It is a partial ACL tear in his knee. Millions of people live normal lives with torn ACLs. I think he'll end up living a fairly healthy life AND have a billion dollars - someone stop him now!

I'v just had acl reconstruction 8 weeks ago so i know exactly what tiger has gone thru and what he will be spending the next few months doing.

His injury could only have been a partial tear as it would have been physically impossible for him to play any golf (let alone full rounds and win the us open) if he had completely ruptured the acl. Ernie els ruptured his which is worse at the time of injury of course but the rehad post surgery is exactly the same.

It is strongly advised not to try to repair an acl tear as it never really works long term so tiger will have had his torn acl cut out and part of his hamstring will have been used to make a new acl. So he will have had exactly the same surgery as ernie and the same recovery process. I'm a tennis coach and was told that without the surgery i could have led a normal life but would not return to tennis without the injury happening again but completely rupturing in the future. Tiger took this chance during the open and made a decision to have the surgery now and lose 1 year rather than lose his career by playing through it longer.

Tiger will be walking again already and will be on a stationary bike for 3 hours+ every day, will have to relearn how to balance on the left knee and will only begin golf specific rotation type exercises after 3-4months. It would have been easier if it was his right knee as most of the rotation and all of the weight goes through the left knee in a golf swing so he will not be hitting long irons/driver for at least 6months. He will make a 100% recovery but if he were a 30year old football pro his career would be over. A serious injury and a bollocks of a rehab process but he will be 100% in 12 months

I'v just had acl reconstruction 8 weeks ago so i know exactly what tiger has gone thru and what he will be spending the next few months doing.

His injury could only have been a partial tear as it would have been physically impossible for him to play any golf (let alone full rounds and win the us open) if he had completely ruptured the acl. Ernie els ruptured his which is worse at the time of injury of course but the rehad post surgery is exactly the same.

I disagree Glen, it's quite possible to play golf on a torn ACL as the ACL only contributes to the anterior draw stability of the knee so you can do quite a lot on it without even noticing and in no pain. When I did mine, before it was repaired I could run about quite happily but there would be the very odd occasion where it would give way (digging in the garden both times rather than running or whatever) so I got mine repaired.

PS Glen, I hope your rehab is going well

Cheers bloodred, rehab is going pretty good.

I agree that u could possibly jog/run gently on a ruptured acl but the part of the acl's job is to limit how far the knee can move in a rotational direction (to protect the menisci) which means that in the absence of the ligament any sort of rotation/lateral movement would cause the knee to "pop out" and cause alot of long term damage. If his acl was completely ruptured forward movement should have been no probs for tiger but surely the rotation thru the left knee in the second half of the swing would be painful and cause further damage to an already unstable joint?

Either way (tear or ruptured)his achievement in winning the us open must be the greatest of his career.