2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

Does anyone have a preference b/w DC & CT at whirlwind?

Gary panks is a popular golf course architect in the valley. Do you guys tend to like his designs? I tend to find them a bit overrated due to lack of strategy and variety

My rank of Panks Valley courses:

1. Whirlwind DC

2. Whirlwind CT

3. Vistancia

4. Grayhawk Talon

5. Tonto Verde Ranch

6 Tonto Verde Peaks

7. Aguila

8. Legacy

Generally a bit tough to rank them. I’d put most in roughly the middle of the 75 courses I’ve played in AZ.

I was going to say that I love panks designs (just played silvercreek today) because of of the variety of his designs. I guess his designs are kind of similar but I like his par 3’s, driveable par 4’s/risk reward, playable for all skill levels, short par 5’s, 3 shot par 5’s etc

Ps don’t forget raven

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Gary panks is a popular golf course architect in the valley. Do you guys tend to like his designs? I tend to find them a bit overrated due to lack of strategy and variety

I really enjoy Legacy and Aguila. The other Panks designs I've played have been decent middle of the road layouts. Vistancia does have a few holes that I feel are garbage, #3 especially, but I understand his team had to deal with the housing layout, the drainage ditches, etc.

Since a few people asked, I am sharing an update on the Summer Troon Card "Test Drive" program that I believe is new for this year. I bought the Twosome card for $99, and it is good from May 1st - October 1st. I work ~8-6 Mon-Fri, so nearly all of my golf is played on Sat/Sun, with the occasional weekday early morning or late afternoon. So far, I've used the card for 11 rounds in about 6 weeks. Getting prime early-morning tee times has been pretty easy if you have a few courses you're willing to play. If you're looking for a specific course, ymmv.

The best part of the card for me so far has been using the 2/1 offers. I used 6 of them already, all in May, before it got too warm. Some of them have to be used after 9 am and some after 11 am. That worked great in May, won't be so great in July, but I've already gotten a ton of value out of them. In May, I played the following courses on Sat/Sun with the 2/1 coupons, with the following rates for my playing partner and myself:

1. Southern Dunes $17.50 and included free replay in May...Played 36 holes for $17.50!
  2. Golf Club of Estrella $17.50
  3. Lookout Mountain $27.50 also free replay - played 27 holes
  4. Westin Kierland $25
  5. Troon North $29
  6. Whirlwind $20

Just using those 2/1 deals easily offset the $99 cost of the card, and then some! I still have 10 more 2/1s to use (including Boulders, Quintero, SunRidge Canyon, La Paloma, Wickenburg Ranch) although as it gets hotter, I'll be less likely to play at 11 am.

Every course I've played has been in excellent shape, also a nice bonus for this time of year. Boulders and Quintero aerated their greens recently, but it's clearly posted and you get a notification before you go to book either of those courses, so no surprises when you show up.

I don't necessarily think I would be likely to buy the full-year Troon Card, especially as the cost has gone up a lot in recent years, but this summer card has been great! Any questions, let me know or send me a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

My rank of Panks Valley courses:

1. Whirlwind DC

2. Whirlwind CT

3. Vistancia

4. Grayhawk Talon

5. Tonto Verde Ranch

6 Tonto Verde Peaks

7. Aguila

8. Legacy

Generally a bit tough to rank them. I'd put most in roughly the middle of the 75 courses I've played in AZ.

I quite like his layouts. Good variety from hole to hole. Multiple ways to play most holes. I am rarely bored on his courses and I rarely feel that they are bludgeoning a poor golfer, which is important for pace of play and enjoyment of the game.

In addition to Raven, as Forelife mentioned, he also did Falcon Dunes I believe which I found quite enjoyable.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Looking for 2 course recommendations

Phoenix/Scottsdale:

My mom is coming in town today for 6 days. I'd like to play 9 holes while she rides in the cart.

-within 30 mins of Scottsdale Quarter

-Scenic (she will like that)

Side note I dont like how the USGA sets up US Opens but I do like their play 9 initiative. Why don't more Valley courses offer 9 holes rates?

Reno/Tahoe:

Headed there around 8/1

I'm guessing the best courses will be closer to Tahoe

I'm staying in Reno and may not have a rental car

What are the best public courses? I called one private course near Truckee, CA yesterday that offers public play on Mondays but they have a tournament the Monday that I will be in town.

Architecturally interesting is important

Would love to walk if its under 85

Would like to keep the green fee under $150

I will be there the same weekend as the PGA Tour so courses may be busier than normal.

Phoenix/Scottsdale:

My mom is coming in town today for 6 days. I'd like to play 9 holes while she rides in the cart.

Side note I dont like how the USGA sets up US Opens but I do like their play 9 initiative. Why don't more Valley courses offer 9 holes rates?

Reno/Tahoe:

Headed there around 8/1

I'm guessing the best courses will be closer to Tahoe

I'm staying in Reno and may not have a rental car

What are the best public courses? I called one private course near Truckee, CA yesterday that offers public play on Mondays but they have a tournament the Monday that I will be in town.

Architecturally interesting is important

Would love to walk if its under 85

Would like to keep the green fee under $150

I will be there the same weekend as the PGA Tour so courses may be busier than normal.

Actually, the best courses are in Truckee...If you choose to head out there, Coyote Moon would be my recco for clear #1. And yes, if you can get on Schafers Mill for the Mon, that is a great choice too. Old Greenwood and Grays Crossing are the next tier.

For Scottsdale...if scenic is the priority, I would say Boulders or Troon(but only Monument is open) and Saguaro.

^For Reno/Tahoe I've not played the Truckee courses, but have played some of the Plumas County courses. They're all about 45mins/1hr from Reno if you end up with a car.

Cheaper than the quality Truckee courses. Grizzly Ranch was a revelation, just a fantastic track. Thread here: http://www.golfwrx.c...-plumas-county/

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Phoenix/Scottsdale:

I'm no fan of the layout, and it's borderline within 30 minutes of the Quarter, but Rancho Manana will fit the scenic part. And gets her to Cave Creek which has a western feel to it. I'm not a fan of the food at the Tonto Grill but again the western ambiance is nice.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Off topic, but anyone recommend a steak house in scottsdale that I can get away with in my shorts and T-shirt? nice shorts and plain T. I'll be on vacation, so lucky if I even bother with underwear :)

You can got any steakhouse in your shorts, I don't know of any with restrictions. So the list is Mastros, Steak 44, Houstons, Dominicks, Cholla, J&G, Capital Grille

J&G closed till September for renovations. Really the issue is probably not as much with what the dress code allows as to how comfortable you may be depending on what the atmosphere is and what others are wearing. Mastro's and Dominick's are more formal, Steak 44 more casual.

So do you play golf in your t-shirt?

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

J&G closed till September for renovations. Really the issue is probably not as much with what the dress code allows as to how comfortable you may be depending on what the atmosphere is and what others are wearing. Mastro's and Dominick's are more formal, Steak 44 more casual.

So do you play golf in your t-shirt?

My plain black tee looks more formal than most of my golf shirts

Wekopa Saguaro Bunker restoration project starts in July should be completed by the time they come out of overseed. This is great news

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Hi all,

Going to be heading to Phoenix in September for a football game, looking for a round on a Friday morning.

First and foremost, what should I expect weather-wise in September? Will starting at 9 be too late? Is there a time that you can start in the afternoon and not die?

Second, we're staying relatively close to Talking Stick but have already played those. Looking for something in the average to slightly difficult range since one of the guys we're playing with is a very casual golfer. Don't want to travel too far from there but wouldn't be opposed if it was something we couldn't pass up. (I should note I've also played Troon Monument and TPC Stadium but would do those again if it's the most appropriate choice) Not sure if cost will end up being an issue, so open to all suggestions at this time.

Thanks in advance!

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

Hi all,

Going to be heading to Phoenix in September for a football game, looking for a round on a Friday morning.

First and foremost, what should I expect weather-wise in September? Will starting at 9 be too late? Is there a time that you can start in the afternoon and not die?

Second, we're staying relatively close to Talking Stick but have already played those. Looking for something in the average to slightly difficult range since one of the guys we're playing with is a very casual golfer. Don't want to travel too far from there but wouldn't be opposed if it was something we couldn't pass up. (I should note I've also played Troon Monument and TPC Stadium but would do those again if it's the most appropriate choice) Not sure if cost will end up being an issue, so open to all suggestions at this time.

Thanks in advance!

The best times to golf in the summer is usually to go out at around 6-6:30am, and be off the course by 10:30.

Twilight rounds, after 5pm, with the sun setting tend to be tolerable as well despite the temp.

Any other time tends to be ghastly less comfortable.

Looking for Suggestions on courses that offer 9 holes rates. I'm thinking sometimes it may too hot to play 18 but 9 would be nice. Preferably within 30 mins of TPC & good value. It seems like most of the better courses only offer 18 hole rates

Legacy does a 9 and dine that is generally a good deal.

Off topic, but anyone recommend a steak house in scottsdale that I can get away with in my shorts and T-shirt? nice shorts and plain T. I'll be on vacation, so lucky if I even bother with underwear :)

So my limited forum skills don't let me figure out how to upload pictures (even though I have done it before) but I was able to change my avatar picture, so look at my avatar pic and you will see the posted dress code at Mastro's Ocean. That said, when I asked about it, they basically said shorts, t shirt no problem, the only issues they have had are with sleeveless t's, tank tops, etc. They allow hats of all kinds in the bar area, allow no hats whatsoever in the dining area.

Figured it out...

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

So my limited forum skills don't let me figure out how to upload pictures (even though I have done it before) but I was able to change my avatar picture, so look at my avatar pic and you will see the posted dress code at Mastro's Ocean. That said, when I asked about it, they basically said shorts, t shirt no problem, the only issues they have had are with sleeveless t's, tank tops, etc. They allow hats of all kinds in the bar area, allow no hats whatsoever in the dining area.

Figured it out...

Only in Phoenix could a definition that includes shorts and T shirts be considered : "Strict Upscale Dresscode"

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

TPC Champions, Verde River but it's a bit of a hike...just past Troon by a few miles, Wildfire, Eagle Mountain.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Guys, Ill be out of golf most of fall 2018 to fall of 2019 if I get 2-3 rounds in during that time i'll be lucky. On to a bigger adventure than golf for a bit. If anything new pops up that is worthy of making the list let me know. Renovations, new course etc. and Ill update the OP the best I can.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

A couple buddies and I are heading to Scottsdale the 1st weekend in November and I have a few questions.

1) That time of year is it worth spending the money on a hotel with a nice pool?

2) Does the daylight allow you to play 36 in a day?

3) our intent is Thurs - Greyhawk, Talon. Fri - Troon North (both) and Sat - Southern Dunes.

Any opinions, thoughts or recommendations? (I work for a Troon property so I get cheaper golf).

A couple buddies and I are heading to Scottsdale the 1st weekend in November and I have a few questions.

1) That time of year is it worth spending the money on a hotel with a nice pool?

2) Does the daylight allow you to play 36 in a day?

3) our intent is Thurs - Greyhawk, Talon. Fri - Troon North (both) and Sat - Southern Dunes.

Any opinions, thoughts or recommendations? (I work for a Troon property so I get cheaper golf).

1) defintely

2) probably

3) replace talon with we ko pa saguaro. Talon isn’t anything special imho