Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

I have a tee time next week, early in the AM at Troon. Looking at the weather, it isn't great. Thinking about canceling it and playing somewhere at a lower elevation to maybe gain a couple of degrees in the temp. Any recommendations for top courses that are closer to Phoenix? Main want it good conditioning and like I said trying to avoid Troon, We-ko-pa area early in the morning.

Or am I totally off base and over thinking it and the temp won't really be affected?

Temps don't differ that much. Not really that much "lower elevation".

I have a tee time next week, early in the AM at Troon. Looking at the weather, it isn't great. Thinking about canceling it and playing somewhere at a lower elevation to maybe gain a couple of degrees in the temp. Any recommendations for top courses that are closer to Phoenix? Main want it good conditioning and like I said trying to avoid Troon, We-ko-pa area early in the morning.

Or am I totally off base and over thinking it and the temp won't really be affected?

Must have misread, but I thought Troon was quite a bit higher than the rest of the area.

I live less than 5 minutes from the clubhouse at Troon North and you’re generally right but I can tell you that PCC has less than 25% of the frost delays that DF does as they send it out every day. Troon North is around 2500’ and PCC is around 800’ (note: I meant to type 900’ but looked it up and it is actually 1086’). In the winter it is generally 3-5* different during the day but in the summer I’ve seen it be as much as 16* during the day and 30*+ at night. The heat island has more of impact than the elevation.

What day will you be out there? I have an 11:55 am tee time on the Pinnacle course on Thursday. Early morning temps next week look like they'll be in the mid-40's. However, things warm up rather quickly after the sun pops up. Troon is probably 1000' higher in elevation that Phoenix, so it's not that significant. Carefree, a bit north, is 1400' higher.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Must have misread, but I thought Troon was quite a bit higher than the rest of the area.

You didn’t, it just doesn’t make that much difference in the winter as it does in the summer, e.g., my house sits at 2683’ and it rarely gets above 105* (less than 20 times/year and usually less than 10). The concrete and heat island impact downtown really makes a huge difference at night so that it never gets cool. That’s why you’ll only see bent grass greens here at elevations above 2000’.

What day will you be out there? I have an 11:55 am tee time on the Pinnacle course on Thursday. Early morning temps next week look like they'll be in the mid-40's. However, things warm up rather quickly after the sun pops up. Troon is probably 1000' higher in elevation that Phoenix, so it's not that significant. Carefree, a bit north, is 1400' higher.

Short trip, getting in Saturday leaving Monday. Playing Pinnacle monday morning before flying out. Have a 7:50 I believe. Playing TPC Stadium the day before in the afternoon to get my fill of warmth. Flying to SFO for the week, but not positive I'll be able to play. Then back to the tundra in Chicago.

You didn't, it just doesn't make that much difference in the winter as it does in the summer, e.g., my house sits at 2683' and it rarely gets above 105* (less than 20 times/year and usually less than 10). The concrete and heat island impact downtown really makes a huge difference at night so that it never gets cool. That's why you'll only see bent grass greens here at elevations above 2000'.

Thank you for the info! Sounds like it won't really matter and I'll keep it.

PCC is 1,086’ in the heart of downtown. Troon North is 2411’ at the clubhouse. Carefree is around the same depending on where you are. DF is 2527’ at the clubhouse and technically in Carefree and just above 2600’ on the 13th green and 14th tee (highest point).

Tangentially I knew in-season Phoenix green fees were a bit silly, but after taking a bit of a look many of them are down right mental.

Is Papago the best 'value' out there in winter? Or maybe Verrado or TPC Champions?

I may be passing through town in the next couple weeks and thought I might try and get 18 holes in depending on how my schedule worked out. I like seeing new courses, but I really cannot see myself dropping $100+ on a round when I could play Poppy for that or Pasa for say $175 a week later.

As a point of reference I've played the following and would like to see something new:

Talking Stick - North

Talking Stick - South

We-Ko-Pa - Saguaro

TPC Scottsdale - Stadium

Southern Dunes

Raven Golf Club

We-Ko-Pa - Cholla

Golf Club at Estrella

Golf Club at Dove Mountain (Saguaro/Wild Boro)

Apache Stronghold

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I will be visiting Scottsdale area in March, visiting from Vancouver.

I am wondering if anyone has an opinion about Moon Valley CC. My club has a reciprocal with this club and I am wondering if it is worthwhile to play as compared to some of the more notable courses (We Ko Pa, Troon etc) in the area

No. It is middle of the road for the area.

Isn't this where Annika shot 59?

Has the course deteriorated since hosting a tour event?

Yes considerably. They lost their water rights and had a lengthy legal battle over it... Eventually ending with transitioning from an equity club to a corporately owned one.

It is a fine layout. Fun. Nothing special. Okay shape the last few times I played it.

Got it. Appreciate the advice fellas.

In that case, anyone have any suggestions. Looking for aesthetically pleasing course, generous fairways and tricky greens that roll well.

In other words I'm a crappy ball striker who can get up and down from anything and who likes to looks at pretty courses to distract myself from my many swing thoughts.

I'm just 15 mins or so away from the Grayhawk, Troon area and would like to stay around there

I will be visiting Scottsdale area in March, visiting from Vancouver.

I am wondering if anyone has an opinion about Moon Valley CC. My club has a reciprocal with this club and I am wondering if it is worthwhile to play as compared to some of the more notable courses (We Ko Pa, Troon etc) in the area

No. It is middle of the road for the area.

Isn't this where Annika shot 59?

Has the course deteriorated since hosting a tour event?

Yes considerably. They lost their water rights and had a lengthy legal battle over it... Eventually ending with transitioning from an equity club to a corporately owned one.

It is a fine layout. Fun. Nothing special. Okay shape the last few times I played it.

Got it. Appreciate the advice fellas.

In that case, anyone have any suggestions. Looking for aesthetically pleasing course, generous fairways and tricky greens that roll well.

In other words I'm a crappy ball striker who can get up and down from anything and who likes to looks at pretty courses to distract myself from my many swing thoughts.

I'm just 15 mins or so away from the Grayhawk, Troon area and would like to stay around there

Verde River or Legend Trail.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Beautiful four days in Phoenix/Scottsdale. I forgot how nice the views are at Eagle Mountain. I'm a sucker for elevated tees.

Southern Dunes was in very nice shape, but the sand in the bunkers is absolutely brutal. It'll need a season to settle.

I wasn't overly impressed with my 2nd trip to Troon North Pinnacle. Tough course for sure, but the looks from the tees can be rather meh. I actually preferred Wildfire Faldo.

I gotta get down here more often. It's 10 degrees in Chicago with a foot of snow, whereas it's 70 degrees here and sunny. I definitely have to question my sanity living in the upper Midwest. Lol.

20190120_093454.jpg

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Beautiful four days in Phoenix/Scottsdale. I forgot how nice the views are at Eagle Mountain. I'm a sucker for elevated tees.

Southern Dunes was in very nice shape, but the sand in the bunkers is absolutely brutal. It'll need a season to settle.

I wasn't overly impressed with my 2nd trip to Troon North Pinnacle. Tough course for sure, but the looks from the tees can be rather meh. I actually preferred Wildfire Faldo.

I gotta get down here more often. It's 10 degrees in Chicago with a foot of snow, whereas it's 70 degrees here and sunny. I definitely have to question my sanity living in the upper Midwest. Lol.

20190120_093454.jpg

I’d be interested to hear more about why your preferred Faldo over pinnacle. If I had 20 rounds I’d play 19 pinnacle & 1 on Faldo. Faldo is over bunkered (slows down play for a resort course) & manufactured. Pinnacle has some of my favorite holes ever including 1, 10 & 14.

It's primarily based on looks from the tee. Pinnacle has few interesting holes when you're standing on the teebox. You don't see much of the fairway. There's little wow factor.

It's primarily based on looks from the tee. Pinnacle has few interesting holes when you're standing on the teebox. You don't see much of the fairway. There's little wow factor.

Wow indeed. It is definitely personal opinion and thus I'm in no way saying you're wrong but I find Pinnacle far more visually appealing in every way than Wildfire Faldo. That's not saying much though as I don't find it very visually appealing at all. You're certainly entitled to your POV, I'm just shocked by it :)

I'm sure I'm being a little harsh on TNP. The surrounding desert is quite rocky, and there are some elevation changes. The housing is a little too close for my liking, especially at that price point. I just found that too many holes didn't give one a good look at the hole. Unlike Wildfire, the fairway bunkers don't really frame the holes. They're there, but you really don't see them. The par 3's were solid, but the par 4's lacked variety. There wasn't a single short par 4.

20190117_115937s.jpg

20190117_120854s.jpg

20190117_122713s.jpg

20190117_125710s.jpg

20190120_093454.jpg

We hit on this a little bit in the Chicago thread, but I am also down here and played Southern Dunes today. Having played both Troon courses before I don't see how anyone can want to play there for triple the price over Southern Dunes. Place was awesome, and just better than both courses at Troon. I'd take it over everything other than We-ko-pa Saguaro. Sand was fluffy and deep, luckily didn't have a ton of trouble in there. I played TPC Stadium yesterday, and I would say it is worth the price for the experience. It is in great shape, and there is nothing like playing that final stretch with the grandstands up. I couldn't imagine playing there without it.

Lastly, I am very envious of all of you that live in the area. Coming from Chicago, I question myself and why I don't live in Scottsdale.

I totally agree that SD is an excellent and pure course in pretty well every respect - I think we rated it #3 of 11 courses on our rota after Desert Forest and WKP Saguaro. And the bunkers probably get better every day after the floods. It may be one of the best value golf experiences you can have - apart from the cross-country drive of course. Then again I personally dont mind a bit of effort to get to a golf course.

Our foursome is coming out to Phoenix the first week of Feb to play 4 rounds. We haven't played Red Mountain Range before. Does anyone have some feedback?

Also, we've never been down to Casa Grande. Are any of the courses worth a look?

Red Mountain Country club? if so, personally, it is not a great course at all. crammed in, Pete Dye silly course. Many of my group won't play unless we have to.

Looking for a place to play on Sunday January 27th. I live in Scottsdale, but have a colleague from Denmark flying in. This will be his first time playing in AZ and I want to show him a nice combination of a good conditions/layout and some nice views. We don't mind driving, ideally I'd like to stay around $150 but will go over if I have to. It is a priority that we get all 18 holes in before sunset.

My number one choice would be WeKoPa Saguaro which I could get at a decent price since I have the WeKoPass, but tee times are getting sold out pretty quickly. I am looking at the following options:

WeKoPa Saguaro - Will take this if I can get it

WeKoPa Cholla - I know people here dislike the course, but at a decent price it could be a good enough tradeoff between price/layout/views/conditions

Southern Dunes - I've played multiple times and love the layout, the views are not as spectacular as others imho

Wickenburg Ranch - Never played, would like to go here sometime, could be a good option

Troon - I've played both courses and really like both, only downside is that it's way over budget

Boulders - Played both and like both more than others on here, views are great imo, same problem as Troon

Quintero - Played once, don't feel the need to go back, but views and conditions are great and it is close to the price I am looking for

Verrado - Played Founders once, never Victory. This could be a good option for what I am looking for, don't know about current conditions? If we are driving this far, we might as well go to Wickenburg?

Grayhawk Raptor - I love this course, views aren't that great, it's tough and it's over budget, I would be looking for a last minute 3 day deal here which may not work out

Longbow - Played once, liked the layout, views are not great imho, when I played it conditions were poor don't know how it is now

Places that I have played and liked but won't go back to for this include Aguila, GCU, TPC Champions, Camelback Ambiente.

I'm about a 5 and my colleague is probably a 15 or so if that matters.

Where would you go and is there any places I have forgotten?

Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated.

I'd vote for Wickenburg Ranch. You could try to get another round it at Quintero on the way back if you still have gas in the tank.

Of course, you can never go wrong with We Ko Pa Saguaro.

Saguaro >> Southern Dunes >> Wickenburg Ranch. Verrado Victory is unique, but not in ways that relate to desert golf, I would play Founders before Victory for what you have described.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

I'm not sure how conditions are right now (no reason for anyone to have bad conditions at this point), but you could throw in Eagle Mountain. Decent price, good views. Course will be forgiving for the 15. Not a long drive.

I played Eagle Mountain last Friday, and conditions were fine.

So, heading out of the frozen tundra here in Mn and going to Phoenix this weekend.

Friday, one round, undetermined yet, land at 940 am, so only one round. Wickenberburg at 12:40 for $122 or Camelback-Padre at 1:40 for $99 ??

Sat- morning Golf Club at Johnson Ranch

afternoon -Seville Golf and CC

Sunday - morning Veraddo- founders

afternoon- Anthem Golf and CC

Joined the Clubcorp travel thing and trying it out, hence the seville and anthem courses. Cart fee only, $20.

will book something later tonight or could just wait for hot deals, but...

I'd go with Wickenburg Ranch. Padre is decent, but it's nothing to write home about. 'Very flat, and more parkland than desert golf.

So, heading out of the frozen tundra here in Mn and going to Phoenix this weekend.

Friday, one round, undetermined yet, land at 940 am, so only one round. Wickenberburg at 12:40 for $122 or Camelback-Padre at 1:40 for $99 ??

Sat- morning Golf Club at Johnson Ranch

afternoon -Seville Golf and CC

Sunday - morning Veraddo- founders

afternoon- Anthem Golf and CC

Joined the Clubcorp travel thing and trying it out, hence the seville and anthem courses. Cart fee only, $20.

will book something later tonight or could just wait for hot deals, but...

man you are putting in some MILES on this trip, touching all corners of the area haha! And honestly not sure you’d make Wickenburg by 12:40

Have you looked at these on a map?

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options