2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

Yeah, it's some mileage for sure.

My concern was veraddo at 7:41 and anthem at 12:37, moved it to 1:30.

It is why I booked Johnson Ranch, fairly close to Seville.

I know nothing of those courses. Ive played a lot of the ones that come up in the threads, but haven't been there in maybe 6-7 yrs.

I didn't look at airport to Wickenburg, but figured I could get there 3 hours from landing.

If anyone wants to join in, I'm open to that or other options for Friday.

Not sure if I'm paired up at other tee times.

61yrs, act 45, play to about a 10-12. Enjoy meeting new folks and playing new courses to add to my logo ball collection.

So, heading out of the frozen tundra here in Mn and going to Phoenix this weekend.

Friday, one round, undetermined yet, land at 940 am, so only one round. Wickenberburg at 12:40 for $122 or Camelback-Padre at 1:40 for $99 ?? Wickenburg without a doubt....99 out of 100 times...the 1 time is if Wickenburg is on fire!

Sat- morning Golf Club at Johnson Ranch

afternoon -Seville Golf and CC

Sunday - morning Veraddo- founders

afternoon- Anthem Golf and CC Wow....these 2 courses are a long way from each other...I hope you realize this and have time set up appropriately

Joined the Clubcorp travel thing and trying it out, hence the seville and anthem courses. Cart fee only, $20.

will book something later tonight or could just wait for hot deals, but...

Wickenburg Ranch is 78 miles from Sky Harbor. Giving yourself an hour to collect your luggage, and get your rental car, you should be able to make it in midday traffic.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Can you use your ClubCorp deal to play both courses at Anthem? Agreed trying to play Verrado and Anthem in one day is really pushing it. Verrado Founders is very good, but I think the Anthem courses are both really good as well. They have a beautiful clubhouse at Anthem. I’d much prefer a leisurely lunch overlooking the golf course to a 50 mile drive between rounds any day!

Can you use your ClubCorp deal to play both courses at Anthem? Agreed trying to play Verrado and Anthem in one day is really pushing it. Verrado Founders is very good, but I think the Anthem courses are both really good as well. They have a beautiful clubhouse at Anthem. I’d much prefer a leisurely lunch overlooking the golf course to a 50 mile drive between rounds any day!

Unless they tore one down they have two great clubhouses at Anthem. I was a member there for 5/6 years (2000-2005) depending on how you count it. Ironwood is the better of the two courses.

The clubcorp travel membership does not allow for rounds before noon on weekends. BOO!

Otherwise I would have played both there.

I went to golfnow and teeoff to find am rounds, and decided on Veraddo due to timing more than anyhting else, (Plus reviews, haven't play, and research here).

I am, however, really excited to play those I've booked and hooked my way into.

Remember, it's going to be 9 below here in MN. My wife approved ( she's in San Fran on business), I'm am lucky guy by any standard.

Yeah, it's some mileage for sure.

My concern was veraddo at 7:41 and anthem at 12:37, moved it to 1:30.

It is why I booked Johnson Ranch, fairly close to Seville.

I know nothing of those courses. Ive played a lot of the ones that come up in the threads, but haven't been there in maybe 6-7 yrs.

I didn't look at airport to Wickenburg, but figured I could get there 3 hours from landing.

If anyone wants to join in, I'm open to that or other options for Friday.

Not sure if I'm paired up at other tee times.

61yrs, act 45, play to about a 10-12. Enjoy meeting new folks and playing new courses to add to my logo ball collection.

You could think about pairing Verrado Victory with the VeradobFounders course. Play a round, eat lunch then get back out.

Looking for a place to play on Sunday January 27th. I live in Scottsdale, but have a colleague from Denmark flying in. This will be his first time playing in AZ and I want to show him a nice combination of a good conditions/layout and some nice views. We don't mind driving, ideally I'd like to stay around $150 but will go over if I have to. It is a priority that we get all 18 holes in before sunset.

My number one choice would be WeKoPa Saguaro which I could get at a decent price since I have the WeKoPass, but tee times are getting sold out pretty quickly. I am looking at the following options:

WeKoPa Saguaro - Will take this if I can get it

WeKoPa Cholla - I know people here dislike the course, but at a decent price it could be a good enough tradeoff between price/layout/views/conditions

Southern Dunes - I've played multiple times and love the layout, the views are not as spectacular as others imho

Wickenburg Ranch - Never played, would like to go here sometime, could be a good option

Troon - I've played both courses and really like both, only downside is that it's way over budget

Boulders - Played both and like both more than others on here, views are great imo, same problem as Troon

Quintero - Played once, don't feel the need to go back, but views and conditions are great and it is close to the price I am looking for

Verrado - Played Founders once, never Victory. This could be a good option for what I am looking for, don't know about current conditions? If we are driving this far, we might as well go to Wickenburg?

Grayhawk Raptor - I love this course, views aren't that great, it's tough and it's over budget, I would be looking for a last minute 3 day deal here which may not work out

Longbow - Played once, liked the layout, views are not great imho, when I played it conditions were poor don't know how it is now

Places that I have played and liked but won't go back to for this include Aguila, GCU, TPC Champions, Camelback Ambiente.

I'm about a 5 and my colleague is probably a 15 or so if that matters.

Where would you go and is there any places I have forgotten?

Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated.

Ended up at Wickenburg due to availability and advice given here. Looking forward to it, thanks everyone who chimed in :)

The clubcorp travel membership does not allow for rounds before noon on weekends. BOO!

Otherwise I would have played both there.

I went to golfnow and teeoff to find am rounds, and decided on Veraddo due to timing more than anyhting else, (Plus reviews, haven't play, and research here).

I am, however, really excited to play those I've booked and hooked my way into.

Remember, it's going to be 9 below here in MN. My wife approved ( she's in San Fran on business), I'm am lucky guy by any standard.

Nice meeting you yesterday Gordy. How’d today’s rounds go?

Heading there in March here are the courses let me know if there is anything i should swap out or change

Day 1 - Papago

Day 2 - AK Chin Southern Dunes 36-holes

Day 3 - Verrado Founders - possibly 2nd round on Victory

Day 4 - We-Ko-Pa - 36 holes both courses

That trip rules

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Heading there in March here are the courses let me know if there is anything i should swap out or change

Day 1 - Papago

This is a good lineup and offers up a well rounded desert golf experience. little bit of everything in there

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Day 1 - Papago

Great lineup. Go for the Victory course if you can, even if just for it's uniqueness - I have a lot of issues with Victory, but I still think it's worth playing.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

FYI rolling hills in Tempe is $13 to walk every day after 3pm. It’s not going to hold a us open tomorrow but I played it once and had fun. Using their range today

That’s another optioni always forget to mention for people flying in and looking for a place to knock the rust off or a quick/cheap 18. Is the range lit there still? I think it was at some point?

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Day 1 - Papago

This is a good lineup and offers up a well rounded desert golf experience. little bit of everything in there

FYI rolling hills in Tempe is $13 to walk every day after 3pm. It's not going to hold a us open tomorrow but I played it once and had fun. Using their range today

That's another optioni always forget to mention for people flying in and looking for a place to knock the rust off or a quick/cheap 18. Is the range lit there still? I think it was at some point?

The lights are still there, although I haven't seen them on in a long while. Maybe they are trying to provide maximum darkness for the animals at the zoo to sleep. I was hopeful that the course would improve after the "renovation" a few years ago, but it is pretty much the same except the addition of a pond and a few lengthened holes. It is not a high caliber course, but it is also not overpriced.

The range is very mediocre, and was busy this summer when Papago was shut down. I do like the chipping green on the far end of the range, and you can hit shots up to 75 yards to it.

Day 1 - Papago

All the courses I picked were based off the extensive reviews you did for the area. Thank OPB

Anyone play Eagle Mountain recently? Heard conditions may finally be improving after struggling for a long time but would love verification on that before I book it. I’ll be in the Fountain Hills area next week.

I played it two weeks ago, and the conditions were fine.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Anyone play Eagle Mountain recently? Heard conditions may finally be improving after struggling for a long time but would love verification on that before I book it. I’ll be in the Fountain Hills area next week.

I played it two weeks ago, and the conditions were fine.

Great to hear, played it last March with my son and although some of the conditions could’ve been better, thoroughly enjoyed the layout. Going back to Scottsdale this March, will definitely put it as a possible candidate for the rotation.

So, heading out of the frozen tundra here in Mn and going to Phoenix this weekend.

Friday, one round, undetermined yet, land at 940 am, so only one round. Wickenberburg at 12:40 for $122 or Camelback-Padre at 1:40 for $99 ??

Sat- morning Golf Club at Johnson Ranch

afternoon -Seville Golf and CC

Sunday - morning Veraddo- founders

afternoon- Anthem Golf and CC

Joined the Clubcorp travel thing and trying it out, hence the seville and anthem courses. Cart fee only, $20.

will book something later tonight or could just wait for hot deals, but...

How was Johnson Ranch?

I was wondering how The Phoenician course is. My wife and I will be staying at the resort at the end of April, and I've never played there. Is the course worth the cost, or am I better off taking an Uber to courses near by for a better value and get a couple of rounds instead of just 1 expensive round.

I've been to Scottsdale before, and I played Kierland and Talking Stick with some buddies. I really enjoyed Kierland more than Talking Stick.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

I was wondering how The Phoenician course is. My wife and I will be staying at the resort at the end of April, and I've never played there. Is the course worth the cost, or am I better off taking an Uber to courses near by for a better value and get a couple of rounds instead of just 1 expensive round.

I've been to Scottsdale before, and I played Kierland and Talking Stick with some buddies. I really enjoyed Kierland more than Talking Stick.

Let me start bottom up: No it is not worth the price; They recently reopened after redesigning the course from 27 holes to 18 holes now. While the course is better, it is still not worth the price. But it is decent now.

You would be better served playing Papago and Legend Trail for example. Looking at the prices for the Phoenecian GOLFnow has it at $249 - 199; this is outrageous and heinous!!!

Let me start bottom up: No it is not worth the price; They recently reopened after redesigning the course from 27 holes to 18 holes now. While the course is better, it is still not worth the price. But it is decent now.

You would be better served playing Papago and Legend Trail for example. Looking at the prices for the Phoenecian GOLFnow has it at $249 - 199; this is outrageous and heinous!!!

Thanks for the info. As we get closer to the trip, I'll get a better idea of when I'll have time to play. I'm hoping to play twice out there, but I'll definitely get at least 1 round in.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Thanks for the info. As we get closer to the trip, I'll get a better idea of when I'll have time to play. I'm hoping to play twice out there, but I'll definitely get at least 1 round in.

I live fairly close to the Phoenician. You are definitely going to enjoy the property. It is a nice overall experience, with excellent service, but golf course itself is a bit overpriced. Papago and Camelback are very close and would be good options. All that being said, unless you are on a budget, I am always a proponent of playing the golf course at the resort you are staying. In addition to the service, it is nice not having to leave the property, and the amenities at the Phoenician are top notch. Plus, I like having my spouse join me for a few holes or a drink after at the restaurant. Much more relaxing way to play golf instead of Ubering all over town and losing that time on vacation.

One other thought - if you get an early tee time, they may let you play another 9 or even 18 at the end of the day for a nominal charge or free. Probably not on the weekend but weekday. Never hurts to ask the professional on the day of play.