2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

1 hour ago, bankkur74 said:

Trying to put together our February visit, but have some questions still.  Appears to me that you cannot play both Boulder courses the same day when you’re not a member, am I correct? If this is the case, which course is the most favorite or better one? So we may actually do one course at Boulder and then go do on the other 18 at troon that afternoon.  Looking at whirlwind, talking stick, verde. 
Our other days were doing 36 at Greyhawk and doing 36 at Wekopa.  Last year we did Quintero, Southern dunes and Wickenburg along with Aguila. So looking for something new and different if possible.  We are staying in Mesa, somewhat near Hoboken stadium, and have vehicle so travel is no problem.  We leave early and come back late, it’s all about golf for us. Thanks for all!!

Correct-1 course is always only for membership.  The North course is the better 'course'.  The South is the 'pretty' course for all the tourists.   

Since you are visiting, you may want to consider Dinosaur Mtn....it is a visitor course. 

I would recommend you look at Verrado - either course or both same day since you are out there.

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 1

Sorry about this, but I got one more question.  We pretty much have our itinerary set for our February trip.  However, I think we can get one more round in the morning on Tuesday when we leave.  Our flight leaves at 4pm from Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, so I think if we are there by 2pm, we should be ok.  So that brings me to asking for a course recommendation that is close to the airport so we can play there early morning and then make our way to the airport.  Again, thanks for all the help, you guys have really helped out this year, as such last year when we had our trip!

Again, we are staying near HoHokam stadium in Mesa.  

Edited by bankkur74

5 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Read the conditions thread..plenty of info/

Thank you 🙂

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Sorry about this, but I got one more question.  We pretty much have our itinerary set for our February trip.  However, I think we can get one more round in the morning on Tuesday when we leave.  Our flight leaves at 4pm from Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, so I think if we are there by 2pm, we should be ok.  So that brings me to asking for a course recommendation that is close to the airport so we can play there early morning and then make our way to the airport.  Again, thanks for all the help, you guys have really helped out this year, as such last year when we had our trip!

Not a lot of great options close by. I’d consider Longbow to be the best option within 10 miles.  Decent food there too. Hard to say second best option since the rest are below average for Arizona. If I had to chose, probably Power Ranch or Western Skies. 

• Like 1

Longbow is a solid course that's about 20 minutes from Mesa airport.

If absolute proximity is the most important factor, Toka Sticks is a lower end/value course literally right next to the airport. Not really a course that tourists play on vacation though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Longbow is a solid course that's about 20 minutes from Mesa airport.

If absolute proximity is the most important factor, Toka Sticks is a lower end/value course literally right next to the airport. Not really a course that tourists play on vacation though.

I would just get up early and play Whirlwind, Raven or Papago.  Will be plenty good if you get out one of the first few tee times.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

I would just get up early and play Whirlwind, Raven or Papago.  Will be plenty good if you get out one of the first few tee times.

I can't disagree with this.  Dinosaur Mountain is another good option that is in the east valley and maybe 30 minutes from the airport.

My first 10 rounds in the valley were at Toka Sticks back in 2004 when I went to ASU East.  Being the first course I played in Arizona, I always get good vibes going there.  It is a fun layout, and they have tried to improve conditions over the years.  It is more of a spot for locals though.

Ok, after researching the course, the forums and help from many of you, here is what we got for our second annual February 2021 trip.  FYI, we played Aguilla, Quintero, Wickenburg, Southern Dunes previous year and don't want to play the same courses, want something new.  Rental is near HoHokam Park.  We also have a rental vehicle, so driving is no issue.  We all are flying in late Thursday and don't Fly out until the following Tuesday afternoon at 4pm.    

Friday: AM-Breakfast at local spot (recommendations?), PM-18 @ Verrado (Founders) and then drinks at local brewery (still looking for one)

Saturday: 36 @ We-Ko-Pa

Sunday: 36 @ Greyhawk

Monday: AM:18 @ Troon North (Monument), then PM: 18 @ Talking Stick (O'odham)

Tuesday: Early AM (First or second tee time) 18 @ Raven Golf Club  (Flight at 4pm)

We are all in agreement with Saturday, Sunday & Tuesday picks.  Some have different opinions on Friday course and Monday courses.  Thoughts are for Friday course to be a good warmup and nice, but not top of the line as we may still be rusty and spray the ball and not be top notch yet.  Thoughts are to even hit a Topgolf that Friday night to have some drinks and warm up the swings.  As for Monday lineup, majority like option of Troon North, but some are skeptical on Talking stick, as well as not have to travel to far for the second 18 so that we get it all in before sun goes down.  

Any opinions are definitely welcome! Thanks for all your help again!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bankkur74 said:

Ok, after researching the course, the forums and help from many of you, here is what we got for our second annual February 2021 trip.  FYI, we played Aguilla, Quintero, Wickenburg, Southern Dunes previous year and don't want to play the same courses, want something new.  Rental is near HoHokam Park.  We also have a rental vehicle, so driving is no issue.  We all are flying in late Thursday and don't Fly out until the following Tuesday afternoon at 4pm.    

Friday: AM-Breakfast at local spot (recommendations?), PM-18 @ Verrado (Founders) and then drinks at local brewery (still looking for one)

Tuesday: Early AM (First or second tee time) 18 @ Raven Golf Club  (Flight at 4pm)

We are all in agreement with Saturday, Sunday & Tuesday picks.  Some have different opinions on Friday course and Monday courses.  Thoughts are for Friday course to be a good warmup and nice, but not top of the line as we may still be rusty and spray the ball and not be top notch yet.  Thoughts are to even hit a Topgolf that Friday night to have some drinks and warm up the swings.  As for Monday lineup, majority like option of Troon North, but some are skeptical on Talking stick, as well as not have to travel to far for the second 18 so that we get it all in before sun goes down.  

For Friday...Founders is a tougher course...especially if you are looking for something to 'ease' you in.   But it will be ok as long as you play the right tees.   The Victory course from the White tees or White/Silver combo would be a better choice - NOTE: I am saying this based on your "rusty and spray" comment.   On breweries Transplant is the best brewery on that side of town; 8-Bit Aleworks is good but I don't recommend for out of towners - it's in a industrial park and no 'atmosphere'.  For breakfast - First Watch, Morning Star and Crepe Bar are my personal recs (you may want to call on their Covid service; I have not kept up with whether they are doing dine in.

For Monday - I would personally choose Legend Trail or Verde River(one of the best clubhouses for after the round and great pizza)  after Troon....they are both closer and both better than TS.  On that note - Pinnacle is the better course unless you can't get the time you want.

• Like 2

Anyone have any info on what Trilogy Golf Club at Vistancia is like?  My parents just bought a house in the Trilogy community and aren't big golfers so they weren't a great source of info on the course.  Also interested in any info on Blackstone CC as I have access to that course through my home club membership which is only 10 minutes away.

All they knew was it was nicer than anything they are used to playing, they were more concerned with everything else in the community for when they retire shortly.  When I was down the last two years on trips I played Verrado, TPC Champions, Wickenburg, and Boulders which I enjoyed.

Coming from Minnesota anything green is enjoyable.  I have a trip planned this year for the last week of January.

1 minute ago, rochestergolfer36 said:

Anyone have any info on what Trilogy Golf Club at Vistancia is like?  My parents just bought a house in the Trilogy community and aren't big golfers so they weren't a great source of info on the course.  Also interested in any info on Blackstone CC as I have access to that course through my home club membership which is only 10 minutes away.

All they knew was it was nicer than anything they are used to playing, they were more concerned with everything else in the community for when they retire shortly.  When I was down the last two years on trips I played Verrado, TPC Champions, Wickenburg, and Boulders which I enjoyed.

Coming from Minnesota anything green is enjoyable.  I have a trip planned this year for the last week of January.

I have a friend that's a member at Blackstone played 4 times real solid course IMO

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

For Friday...Founders is a tougher course...especially if you are looking for something to 'ease' you in.   But it will be ok as long as you play the right tees.   The Victory course from the White tees or White/Silver combo would be a better choice - NOTE: I am saying this based on your "rusty and spray" comment.   On breweries Transplant is the best brewery on that side of town; 8-Bit Aleworks is good but I don't recommend for out of towners - it's in a industrial park and no 'atmosphere'.  For breakfast - First Watch, Morning Star and Crepe Bar are my personal recs (you may want to call on their Covid service; I have not kept up with whether they are doing dine in.

For Monday - I would personally choose Legend Trail or Verde River(one of the best clubhouses for after the round and great pizza)  after Troon....they are both closer and both better than TS.  On that note - Pinnacle is the better course unless you can't get the time you want.

Thanks for the info, including the food & drink recommendations.  Last year, we found a place called "Matt's Big Breakfast" and just loved it.  We were going to go back there if no recommendations came in, but looks like we are going to try something new.  As for the Victory course, will pass the info along and we all will take a look at, along with the Monday recommendation of Legend Trail or Verde River.  Hopefully all of us won't be too rusty, but not a lot of playing here in the midwest during the winter months, unless you can find a simulator indoors (which I think some of us are doing).  Much appreciated!

6 minutes ago, rochestergolfer36 said:

Both are excellent courses.  I just played TaV Wed and it was in outstanding shape.  It has a great mix of holes that offer enough challenge.  Blackstone is an very good course too - there are a couple of very quirky/gimmicky holes including one of the best worst par 5s 🙂 around...you will know it instantly when you play.   Both have very good facilities and clubhouses.    

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Both are excellent courses.  I just played TaV Wed and it was in outstanding shape.  It has a great mix of holes that offer enough challenge.  Blackstone is an very good course too - there are a couple of very quirky/gimmicky holes including one of the best worst par 5s 🙂 around...you will know it instantly when you play.   Both have very good facilities and clubhouses. 

11 minutes ago, cbbaron said:

I have a friend that's a member at Blackstone played 4 times real solid course IMO

Thanks for the info.  They looked like they had potential so happy to hear the positive reviews.    

12 hours ago, rochestergolfer36 said:

Thanks for the info.  They looked like they had potential so happy to hear the positive reviews.    

Blackstone is a fun course. Usually great shape. The par 5 9th is a really funky hole that should be changed. There are some blind shots that can be tough. Not top

tier private course, but solidly in the second tier with courses like Superstition Mountain. 

12 hours ago, bankkur74 said:

Thanks for the info, including the food & drink recommendations.  Last year, we found a place called "Matt's Big Breakfast" and just loved it.  We were going to go back there if no recommendations came in, but looks like we are going to try something new.  As for the Victory course, will pass the info along and we all will take a look at, along with the Monday recommendation of Legend Trail or Verde River.  Hopefully all of us won't be too rusty, but not a lot of playing here in the midwest during the winter months, unless you can find a simulator indoors (which I think some of us are doing).  Much appreciated!

Matt’s has great food. I like Daily Dose, which has big servings. 

For breweries, can’t go wrong with 4 Peaks in Tempe. Not far from Hohokam. It has a really fun atmosphere and good variety of beer. 

I’d skip top golf. IMO, anything is better than  hitting balls with crappy clubs into a field.

You might want to find time for Papago in there. Course is very good right now. Greens are as quick as any course in town. The after round food and drink setup is sweet too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Are both the talking stick courses walkable? I really like to walk and club I belong to its usually 6 miles so I don't mind a little bit of a hike.  If you were playing 36 in a day would you play each once or just play O'odham twice?

I remember seeing someone else ask about them being walkable but couldn't remember the answer and couldn't find which thread it was in.

6 hours ago, rochestergolfer36 said:

Are both the talking stick courses walkable? I really like to walk and club I belong to its usually 6 miles so I don't mind a little bit of a hike.  If you were playing 36 in a day would you play each once or just play O'odham twice?

I remember seeing someone else ask about them being walkable but couldn't remember the answer and couldn't find which thread it was in.

Yes totally flat 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rochestergolfer36 said:

Yes, very walkable. They're flat as a pancake, and there are no long hikes between holes. I'd play them both.

• Thanks 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 12/26/2020 at 9:05 PM, bankkur74 said:

Our plans just changed and going to Scottsdale instead of Palm Springs due to lock downs. So, I’m just starting to research may just steal your plans, haha. Any of the courses you played last trip that you would recommend? We are there for 8 days but probably only play 18 per day

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

This is a great thread and super informative! Thanks for assembling. Now onto the fun part...

@puttnforthe8 or for the thread or other locals... in going to be staying up at the Boulders the latter half of next week. I’ve played there before but don’t feel like dropping $200+ on a round. 

I’m leaning towards Dove Valley Ranch, Legends Golf trail, or TPC champions and would play the morning 2/4 (it looks cold but I live in MN so I’ll layer up). I also can get access to Los caballeros with my clubcorp play away but don’t really want to spend 2 hours in the car on a quick getaway with my wife. 

Of those three options, what would the group recommend? Are there any other crazy good courses for around that $120 mark or less I should consider? (never done talking stick or the Raptor course).   I’ve played probably half of the courses listed here and agree with most of the analysis/ thoughts. Like most WRX’ers, I’m a plus 17 handicap, have never missed any putts inside 8 feet and hit monster 365 drives in my sleep. 

Thanks for any input!

1 hour ago, mccjud said:

This is a great thread and super informative! Thanks for assembling. Now onto the fun part...

@puttnforthe8 or for the thread or other locals... in going to be staying up at the Boulders the latter half of next week. I’ve played there before but don’t feel like dropping $200+ on a round. 

I’m leaning towards Dove Valley Ranch, Legends Golf trail, or TPC champions and would play the morning 2/4 (it looks cold but I live in MN so I’ll layer up). I also can get access to Los caballeros with my clubcorp play away but don’t really want to spend 2 hours in the car on a quick getaway with my wife. 

Of those three options, what would the group recommend? Are there any other crazy good courses for around that $120 mark or less I should consider? (never done talking stick or the Raptor course).   I’ve played probably half of the courses listed here and agree with most of the analysis/ thoughts. Like most WRX’ers, I’m a plus 17 handicap, have never missed any putts inside 8 feet and hit monster 365 drives in my sleep. 

Thanks for any input!

Is it just you?

Of the 3, you will enjoy Legend Trail the best - it is more AZ desert golf than the other 2. Champs is a good course, but would not put it as a must play - it is more of a warmup or an extra round kind of a course.  Dove Valley is just not that good in all aspects.   If it is just you, I would see if you can find a decent price at Verde River as a single.

BTW.  Can't you get Anthem with the Clubcorp membership (it was on there when I had it)?  If you can, that would be the definite play for me - either of the courses - but I would recommend Persimmon for a visitor.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mccjud said:

I just called clubcorp and they’ve taken away playing privileges at gainey ranch, anthem, and the other course until covid is done. Lame... but sort of what I was expecting. 

I might pursue legend trail given your reco!

I would second Legend Trail out of that list good desert course and won't beat you up

On 1/17/2021 at 6:49 PM, sethdavidsdad said:

Our plans just changed and going to Scottsdale instead of Palm Springs due to lock downs. So, I’m just starting to research may just steal your plans, haha. Any of the courses you played last trip that you would recommend? We are there for 8 days but probably only play 18 per day

I just got back from Scottsdale and we changed a couple weeks ago when they kept cancelling our hotels in Palm Springs.

We played 4 courses and I will review them all

Wekopa Cholla-   Very good course and the greens rolled true .   I liked these greens the best because they were easiest to read with the grain very visible.  I give it a solid 8.5

TPC Champions-  It is a well done MUNI imo.  lots of straight holes that get a bit repetitive.   It's like you typical back and forth muni with better greens and bunkers in the fairways.    we played due to needing 36 and wanting to play stadium.  7.5

TPC stadium-   This was setup for the waste management and the conditions were pure.   only downside was cart path only.   I would give it an 8.5 without the stadium setup and prep for the tournament.  with the stadium it was a 9.5 and not a 10 due to cart path only and the rough would eat golf balls.  

Southern Dunes-  I loved this course the most, every tee shot had a different look,  it was penal and gettable at the same time.  For the money this was by far my favorite course.  

• Like 3

On 1/27/2021 at 9:24 AM, bradski said:

I just got back from Scottsdale and we changed a couple weeks ago when they kept cancelling our hotels in Palm Springs.

We played 4 courses and I will review them all

Wekopa Cholla-   Very good course and the greens rolled true .   I liked these greens the best because they were easiest to read with the grain very visible.  I give it a solid 8.5

TPC Champions-  It is a well done MUNI imo.  lots of straight holes that get a bit repetitive.   It's like you typical back and forth muni with better greens and bunkers in the fairways.    we played due to needing 36 and wanting to play stadium.  7.5

TPC stadium-   This was setup for the waste management and the conditions were pure.   only downside was cart path only.   I would give it an 8.5 without the stadium setup and prep for the tournament.  with the stadium it was a 9.5 and not a 10 due to cart path only and the rough would eat golf balls.  

Southern Dunes-  I loved this course the most, every tee shot had a different look,  it was penal and gettable at the same time.  For the money this was by far my favorite course.  

Interesting on TPC Scottsdale, most rate champions a better/more fun course vs Stadium. There is definitely a coolness factor of playing Stadium however, especially in other years with the full stadium in effect, this year of course, much less with maybe 5-10% of the normal stands set up. Conditions however are always pretty darn good at Stadium, most just feel the course is not great. Especially for the price they ask. Totally worth it though in my opinion to play once or twice with the stands. 👍

• Like 2