Golf Galaxy launch monitor, humorous

bradkv

What's up guys, just a funny story about a trip to Golf Galaxy in Cary, NC over the weekend. I was on my way to play Tobacco Road on Saturday, and stopped in to buy a couple of shirts. While there, I looked around at some equipment, and found a used Nickent 17* hybrid with the NV 85S shaft in it. I was torn between that and a Sonartec, and purchased a Sonartec about a week ago, with the same loft and the IROD shaft in X. My driver SS is about 115-117, and I hit a very high ball with a lot of load at the top. I don't consider myself a beast off the tee, but distance is not an issue I am overly concerned with either. I took the club into their launch monitor and hit a few balls just to compare the feel. First of all, the Nickent is very solid, and I was impressed with the feel of the club, but of course I could not really see the ballflight other than the electronic simulation of what the computer said it would be. The monitor told me my first shot with the club carried 286 yards! I hit 6 shots with the Nickent, and the shortest shot, carry and roll, was 272 yards! Just for fun, I went back and grabbed a Ping G2, 10.5* with NV 65 stiff. My first drive was 348 yards!

I have hit a drive that far before, with a 20 mph tailwind and hitting about 30 feet downhill, but this was on a level lie with no wind. I guess they are really trying to sell some clubs in there. Talk about a confidence boost! I shot 73 at Tobacco Road that afternoon, going 5 over in the first 5 holes with 2 doubles in the pouring rain. It stopped raining after 5 holes, and I played the rest of the round 4 under. This was playing the course all the way back. Needless to say, I did NOT hit a hybrid that day that went 270+ yards, and I did not see a drive that carried 330 either. I was pretty surprised though, that they were only asking 40 bucks for the Nickent, and it was in excellent condition. Watch out for those launch monitor numbers, boys!!

PING G430 LST 9*, Ventus Black TR 7X
PING G425 14.5*, Ventus Blue 8X
PING iCrossover 18*, Ping Tour 85X
PING i230 4-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7
Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 60
Ping PLD

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My issue with launch monitors is that they seem to give inaccurate reads sometimes.

A perfect example is Edwin Watts out here has a launch monitor but the damn ball is teed so low that you can't get it in the air all that well. I usually tee mine a bit high granted, none the less they said I should be using a 10.5* loft on my driver, when I've come to realize that 8.5* works best for me.

So I've come to realize that launch monitors aren't always that great, I prefer the old driving range.

I will say that simulators work great for testing also since they're far more accurate on distance and launch then a launch monitor, at least the newer simulators are.

If you were on the monitor that is free then that one isn't accurate. The one with the high-speed camera is accurate to within 1 yard. It'll cost ya $30 but at least you'll know exactly how far the shot goes. The free one is just for fun IMO. Simp

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Sounds like someone had the power boost on! Look down in the lower left corner of the simultor screen if you see a PB and a number greater than 1 you will never duplicate your results in the real world!

Not quite dear boy, I know what my numbers in real life are, on a golf course, and driving range, and there was no power boost.

And this particular sim doesn't have power boost.

The only people that believe that stuff are the ones who don't know what their real distances are...

And I'm not one of them...

So, before you make flame worthy statements, get all the info (cool)

I'm not sure that mickfan4 was really trying to start anything with you. It seems like he was just trying to make sure that you knew that there was such a feature on the simulator. That's how I read it anyway. Simp

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

I think either they have to be reset every so often, or something. I had a similar experience at a Golf Galaxy, and an Adams I-Wood Hybrid. It claimed I was getting 250 yards out of a 21*. I could see maybe getting that out of a 17*, but not a 21* (at least for me). I was expecting like 210 - 220. Naturally I bought the club... (cool)

Although I bought it for how consistently I was able to group my shots, and not the distances posted by the monitor.

i don't find them accurate either. my local pro tells me i swing around 115-120...and that day i carried one 300 yards..so i figured it to be true. the week before i went to a local golf shop and the monitor said my swing speed was 87. yeah right.

I noticed that also, the launch monitor says my swing is 108 - 111mph

But just to test, I had one of those digital swing speed meters on the floor also, that read 123, and I can carry it around 320 on a good hit, but at least 305.

I would love to know how those things work and measure speed and distance...

I believe, and I could be horribly wrong, that it takes your ball speed, launch angle, rotation, and any pull/push and makes an assumption from there. But if you generated that ball speed from an off center hit then it could be completely wrong.

Okay guys here's the skinny............

I work at the Golf Galxy in Cary,NC and you where not hitting balls on the Launch Monitor you where hitting balls in the Simulator. Totally different scenario hitting in the Simulator instead of the Launch Monitor.

The simulators are computer generated and will never be 100% no matter how good the tachnology is. There are ways of manipulating the Simaulator like hitting low bullets or a low hook will even go further yet. The Simulator is basically there for people to hit and try out New Clubs before they buy them. It is a cheap way fro us and you to see your ball flight and launch angle to give you a rouhg idea of whether the club fits you.

If you really want a shocker come in and hit on the real Launch Monitor and see how many people are way off in how far they thin they hit there drivers and other clubs, it is amazing to me when I see guys come in and get fit for a driver and tell me they average 300 yards off the tee and couldn't hit it 260 with a good strong wind at there back.

Bottom line is the Simulator is there just as a gadget for people to hit clubs and watch the ball fly. I see enough swings in there that I can actually fit you with a shaft and driver type that suits your swing for the people that don't want to pay the $79.99 for the real Launch Monitor Fitting.

The simulator's will never be 100% accurate and never will be not just because of the technology but if you have ever seen guys hit in the simulator they always try to swing 120% and impress everyone standing around watching instead of taking there normal swing they would use on the golf course.

Oh and also I find it humurous on how many people think they have swing speeds over 110-120, the average swing speed on Tour is only 105-110 only a few like Tiger and Daly have swing speeds that exceed 120 at times.

I never trust an in-store launch monitor. the only launch monitors that i trust are ones that i am using while hitting balls at the range, and can see the true ball flight.

dan"goose" (cool)

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

i have friends who work at Dick's Sporting Goods and am sorry to say that to sell golf clubs, the would engage in the power boost which was probably on while you were hitting... they'd sell drivers because people are hitting 300 yard drives whom have never hit one past 245... kind of sad, but you know what they say... buyer beware

I know they are not the least bit accurate, at least as far as distance is concerned. But I think there is still value in them for comparing differnt clubs. At least until they make simulators that can determine the price of the club you are trying out and add more power to the more expensive ones (cool)

To the gentleman that works at Golf Galaxy in Cary, thanks for the clarification. My post is not an accusation, but rather an observation. I have also noticed that my clubfitter here in Salisbury has a launch monitor in his workshop that seems to be skewed in the other direction. I have been playing golf for nearly 20 years, I have played competitively and was an assistant pro in Wilmington for a couple of years after college. I play to a 2 handicap, and I know my game very well. My SS is accurately stated, yet when I go in for a little tweaking with my fitter, my SS shows on his monitor as 103-106, and my ball speed drops to about 155-160. Last week, his monitor was giving me average carry distances of 245-250 with the driver, so I asked him about it, and he finally admitted that his readouts could be a "little off". As I said before, I am no beast by any means, but usually carry the ball about 275 off the tee. The reason for my post was simply to say that I believe retailers might use their simulators or monitors to skew the numbers a little bit in their favor in an effort to make a few extra sales.

Ping PLD

I work at the Golf Galxy in Cary,NC and you where not hitting balls on the Launch Monitor you where hitting balls in the Simulator. Totally different scenario hitting in the Simulator instead of the Launch Monitor.

The simulators are computer generated and will never be 100% no matter how good the tachnology is. There are ways of manipulating the Simaulator like hitting low bullets or a low hook will even go further yet. The Simulator is basically there for people to hit and try out New Clubs before they buy them. It is a cheap way fro us and you to see your ball flight and launch angle to give you a rouhg idea of whether the club fits you.

If you really want a shocker come in and hit on the real Launch Monitor and see how many people are way off in how far they thin they hit there drivers and other clubs, it is amazing to me when I see guys come in and get fit for a driver and tell me they average 300 yards off the tee and couldn't hit it 260 with a good strong wind at there back.

Bottom line is the Simulator is there just as a gadget for people to hit clubs and watch the ball fly. I see enough swings in there that I can actually fit you with a shaft and driver type that suits your swing for the people that don't want to pay the $79.99 for the real Launch Monitor Fitting.

The simulator's will never be 100% accurate and never will be not just because of the technology but if you have ever seen guys hit in the simulator they always try to swing 120% and impress everyone standing around watching instead of taking there normal swing they would use on the golf course.

Oh and also I find it humurous on how many people think they have swing speeds over 110-120, the average swing speed on Tour is only 105-110 only a few like Tiger and Daly have swing speeds that exceed 120 at times.

But you also missed the point that some of us also said we duplicate these in real life, no just on a sim.

The newer simulators are actually very accurate.

And as for swing speed, I've had mine checked by multiple people and techniques and it always comes up at average of 118 mph.

And as for distance, I've driven short (320 - 350 yards) par 4s so I'm not exagering my distances to feel good, nor am I exagering my swing speed.

This information has been verified by a gentleman who was a PGA tour caddie for many years, a highly respected instructor who has been teaching for 20+ years and the former head pro at Crosswinds here in Massachusetts.

So you'll have to excuse me if I take their analisys and information over yours

I guess I'm just getting sick of some of these people who doubt anything if they can't do it, and I wouldn't be as heated if you would of said it in a more polite manner instead of writing off everyone as some guy who has no clue, believe it or not some of us do

My intinal response to the orginal post was simply to help explain why he might be seeing what he saw on the simulator. I also assumed that he was using simulator and not a launch monitor.

The fact is that you can manipulate the simulators (hitting lower, power boost, etc...)

Yes, the more you know your game the more you can get out of hitting into launch monitors or simulators.

As SIMP suggested my intentions were to explain why someone might be able to carry a 17 degree club nearly 290 yards when they normally don't hit it near that amount.

My intinal response to the orginal post was simply to help explain why he might be seeing what he saw on the simulator. I also assumed that he was using simulator and not a launch monitor.

The fact is that you can manipulate the simulators (hitting lower, power boost, etc...)

Yes, the more you know your game the more you can get out of hitting into launch monitors or simulators.

As SIMP suggested my intentions were to explain why someone might be able to carry a 17 degree club nearly 290 yards when they normally don't hit it near that amount.

And I appologize for my response, and you're right that sim and launch monitors can be inaccurrate.

Just seems that sometimes people (not you) make assumptions about other people's abilities without ever seeing them swing a club because they don't think anyone has that ability that isn't on tour.

I never only go by what the sim or launch monitor says, I always take those numbers and compare them to numbers at the driving range, and on the simulator I use they are accurate because I can reproduce those same numbers on the driving range.

I also choose my equipment based off of demoing it on the range, I just don't trust launch monitors or sims since if I did I'd be using a S flex driver with 10.5* of loft when in real life I found I'm longer and more accurate with X and 8.5*

The problem is that I believe the launch monitors in stores are skewed to make you seem shorter so they're able to sell the stock they have on hand since they very seldom if ever carry X flex in stock and would rather just sell you what they have, and on top of that once you find out the truth about you should using they know you'll have to go buy another driver.

I'd rather get my result from the range or course and then buy the club to the specs I know work for me.

But you also missed the point that some of us also said we duplicate these in real life, no just on a sim.

The newer simulators are actually very accurate.

And as for swing speed, I've had mine checked by multiple people and techniques and it always comes up at average of 118 mph.

And as for distance, I've driven short (320 - 350 yards) par 4s so I'm not exagering my distances to feel good, nor am I exagering my swing speed.

This information has been verified by a gentleman who was a PGA tour caddie for many years, a highly respected instructor who has been teaching for 20+ years and the former head pro at Crosswinds here in Massachusetts.

So you'll have to excuse me if I take their analisys and information over yours

I guess I'm just getting sick of some of these people who doubt anything if they can't do it, and I wouldn't be as heated if you would of said it in a more polite manner instead of writing off everyone as some guy who has no clue, believe it or not some of us do

For starters I can do anything you say and I play Professionally myself and I am not pointing a finger at anyone here. I am just making a general accusation of what I see day in and day out at the store. I worked on the Criuse ships for 3 years Teaching Golf and used the Simulators all the time and yes they can be very accurate but you still can minipulate them and swing alot harder than you do on a real course and not get a misss reading like you would outside because you are only hitting into a screen that is 10 feet away and it dosent pick up on the spin from the ball in that short of a distance espaecially with the driver because of the low spin off the face that the new drivers produce. So you can swing away and not hit it 250 out and 50 yards left that is my point.

As far as myself I was not trying to compare me with anyone or make a n accusation that anyone here is like the amatuers that we get in the store. I know what my readings are and that is all that matters and I am sure everyone on this sight does too as well.

But if you are ever bored on a raining day and want a good laugh come into the store and watch people hit into the Simulator and follow me around one day when you are trying to fit people with proper clubs when they are telling you that they swing at 120 mph and can hit it 300 with a driver consistantly. When accually they have a swing speed of 100 mph and hit it 270 on a good day. If people would just be realistic in there assumptions it would make our job alot easier.

I am not just a Joe Blow who works at Golf Galaxy selling golf clubs, I have been around the game for 27 years and I am a Certified Instructor and also play Professionally on the Mini-Tours so I do know what I am yalking about here from experience not just accusations so don't take offence anyone on this site because I am not pointing any fingers anywhere just stating a general fact.

Thanks, (cool)

For starters I can do anything you say and I play Professionally myself and I am not pointing a finger at anyone here. I am just making a general accusation of what I see day in and day out at the store. I worked on the Criuse ships for 3 years Teaching Golf and used the Simulators all the time and yes they can be very accurate but you still can minipulate them and swing alot harder than you do on a real course and not get a misss reading like you would outside because you are only hitting into a screen that is 10 feet away and it dosent pick up on the spin from the ball in that short of a distance espaecially with the driver because of the low spin off the face that the new drivers produce. So you can swing away and not hit it 250 out and 50 yards left that is my point.

As far as myself I was not trying to compare me with anyone or make a n accusation that anyone here is like the amatuers that we get in the store. I know what my readings are and that is all that matters and I am sure everyone on this sight does too as well.

But if you are ever bored on a raining day and want a good laugh come into the store and watch people hit into the Simulator and follow me around one day when you are trying to fit people with proper clubs when they are telling you that they swing at 120 mph and can hit it 300 with a driver consistantly. When accually they have a swing speed of 100 mph and hit it 270 on a good day. If people would just be realistic in there assumptions it would make our job alot easier.

I am not just a Joe Blow who works at Golf Galaxy selling golf clubs, I have been around the game for 27 years and I am a Certified Instructor and also play Professionally on the Mini-Tours so I do know what I am yalking about here from experience not just accusations so don't take offence anyone on this site because I am not pointing any fingers anywhere just stating a general fact.

Thanks, (cool)

I appologize for coming off the way I did, but I just get a bit heated constantly hearing these things from people who think that elmost everyone is inaccurate or lies about their swing speeds and distances.

Granted, I'm sure allot do, but in some cases people are being honest, I myself tested various combinations before arriving at my club configuration that works best for me.

I can understand what you're saying, and I agree. My issue is with those that try to fit you into one mold based off of their opinion, that's really about as reliable as Golf Digest's article this month about the perfect bag based on your handicap, as we all know is inaccurate crap.

I'm actually the opposite of what you say as far as swing speed etc, for awhile I didn't think I could possibly really swing that fast as was tested and used stiff flex in my clubs until I actually went out and tested x flex and saw that I had better distance and control.

I just believe that when fitted people need to realize that not stiff enough is just as bad as too stiff, and that the launch monitor isn't the end all be all.

The way I look at it, most people at golf stores are incapable of fitting people properly some times, and people need to find what really works by demoing a club first and comparing real information not computer based readings.

No worries and you are right to a certain extent because some stores just hire college kids or whoever they can find to work for them and who are not certified fitters. At Golf Galaxy they don't have people fitting unless they go through and get certified so I can only speak for them but I know extactly what you are saying.

If you are ever in the area again come by the store and see me "Craig" or if you ever want to have a game just PM me I play Tobacco Road alot and I know Chris the Head Pro down there.

Cheers (cool)

No worries and you are right to a certain extent because some stores just hire college kids or whoever they can find to work for them and who are not certified fitters. At Golf Galaxy they don't have people fitting unless they go through and get certified so I can only speak for them but I know extactly what you are saying.

If you are ever in the area again come by the store and see me "Craig" or if you ever want to have a game just PM me I play Tobacco Road alot and I know Chris the Head Pro down there.

Cheers (cool)

If I make it down to NC I'll make sure to look you up for a round, thanks again :huh:

I am sure that what I was hitting in was the simulator, and not the launch monitor. I simply thought it was funny that the distances were so outrageous. If the average player were to go in there to hit a few balls with a club he was interested in purchasing, he would certainly walk out very excited about perceived yardage gains. I am sure that the player that knows his game would make the same observations I made, while the average guy might think he was holding a magic wand after seeing dramatic gains in the simulator. In any event, I know for sure that the staff at this particular store is very knowledgeable and helpful, as I have known Jason there for quite some time now and used to go see him when he was with Carolina Custom any time I needed equipment.

Ping PLD