Update to my backyard green/bunker/teebox

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='benjaminahudson' timestamp='1371177096' post='7236808']
Damn, just powered through this thread in a few hours. LOVE everything about this project, but at some point I was expecting you to do something about the cinder block wall :). Stucco and/or paint that thing! :)

what are you going to do once the landscaping gets mature? I take it you'll pull some of them and start over at some point? As a southerner who has HUGE hydrangea bushes on my property, I can see that one being a pest.
[/quote]

Yeah I really wanted to stucco and paint the wall, but ran out of fundage. Haha. I'll tackle that when I paint the house exterior next year. The hydrangea is kind of experimental for me, I haven't ever grown them before and I'm not sure how big they are going to get here. All 3 that I started last year seemed to die completely back over the winter, so I'm just going to play it all by ear. If things start getting out of hand I'll replant/replace as needed.

D - MyStealth+ 9* - Ventus Black 5X 

3w - Sim 14* - Diamana A'hina 60X

5w - M3 19* - Diamana B70X

4h - M1 21* - Kuro Kage Black 80X

5i-PW - P770-20 - DG 105VSS X100

50/55/60 - RTX Zipcore - DG Spinner

P - 2-ball Protype Black

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1371185199' post='7237812']
I can't tell if I am more impressed with the green/chipping area/speed of the green, or the quality shots you hit it the video. :)
[/quote]

Haha. I was kind of sad because I had a couple other views that were awesome. Hit a group of 3 floppers out of the deep rough (along the back of the house), to the front most pin (just over the bunker), and hit the pin on the first shot and holed out the third... but go to review the footage and I was completely blocking the view of the hole with the way I was standing. lol. doh.

Then I stuffed all 3 inside 2 feet from the deep rough by the back gate, over the pond to the left lower tier cup, but the auto focus must have decided to focus on my hand or something really close to the lens so you couldn't see anything.

Oh well. Still a decent little demo of how things behave. :)

P - 2-ball Protype Black

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='505' timestamp='1371193903' post='7238204']
[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1371185199' post='7237812']
I can't tell if I am more impressed with the green/chipping area/speed of the green, or the quality shots you hit it the video. :)
[/quote]

Haha. I was kind of sad because I had a couple other views that were awesome. Hit a group of 3 floppers out of the deep rough (along the back of the house), to the front most pin (just over the bunker), and hit the pin on the first shot and holed out the third... but go to review the footage and I was completely blocking the view of the hole with the way I was standing. lol. doh.

Then I stuffed all 3 inside 2 feet from the deep rough by the back gate, over the pond to the left lower tier cup, but the auto focus must have decided to focus on my hand or something really close to the lens so you couldn't see anything.

Oh well. Still a decent little demo of how things behave. :)
[/quote]

Brilliant stuff! Well worth the effort, enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

That's pretty awesome. I'm jealous. I would love to have a putting area in my back yard never mind all the rest as well.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
3 wood: Titleist TSR2

7 wood: Ping G430 max

Utility iron: Callaway Apex ut

4 Hybrid: Callaway Paradym
Irons: Titleist T100 5-pw 
Wedges: Vokey sm9 50*, 54*, 60*
Putters: TaylorMade Spider X

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

• 2 months later...

Wanted to give this thread a bump from the land of the buried, and give a quick report now that the weather is cooling off around here.

The mid summer settling during the super hot days went good with the nails all around the perimeter of the green, and I ended up with no shifting or sliding this time. All cups still line up with the holes in the carpet, so all is good on that front. The base has also fully settled after having our wettest summer on record... I've never seen it rain so much here. No sinkholes, no washing away of the main divider tier, and all cups are still sitting perfectly plumb.

All in all I am super happy with it and have been practicing like a mad man. 14 of my last 17 sets of 9 holes have been in the 30's (with a career low 34 last week), and I have never shot so many low to mid 70's rounds in a season before. If I can eliminate a couple brain fart bogies/doubles, I feel my first round in the 60's is coming very soon. I have never putted as good as I am putting right now, and my chipping and sand shots feel like they are on auto-pilot.

All in all, this is probably the best investment I have ever made for my game... my membership at UNM South this year coming in a close second.

As for the rest of the yard, the pond and fish are doing great. The garden was a piece of cake to tend to this year with the new irrigation and fertilizer systems. All I had to do was pull small weeds on the weekends and that was it. The new raised flower bed by the upper pond is all filling in nicely, the shrubs and bushes are all growing great, and it's been awesome to just kick back and enjoy the yard instead of constantly working on it. Very happy with the finished product and still have no plans to change anything.

Cheers ya'll. :)

P - 2-ball Protype Black

[quote name='505' timestamp='1380703797' post='7941337']
Wanted to give this thread a bump from the land of the buried, and give a quick report now that the weather is cooling off around here.

The mid summer settling during the super hot days went good with the nails all around the perimeter of the green, and I ended up with no shifting or sliding this time. All cups still line up with the holes in the carpet, so all is good on that front. The base has also fully settled after having our wettest summer on record... I've never seen it rain so much here. No sinkholes, no washing away of the main divider tier, and all cups are still sitting perfectly plumb.

All in all I am super happy with it and have been practicing like a mad man. 14 of my last 17 sets of 9 holes have been in the 30's (with a career low 34 last week), and I have never shot so many low to mid 70's rounds in a season before. If I can eliminate a couple brain fart bogies/doubles, I feel my first round in the 60's is coming very soon. I have never putted as good as I am putting right now, and my chipping and sand shots feel like they are on auto-pilot.

All in all, this is probably the best investment I have ever made for my game... my membership at UNM South this year coming in a close second.

As for the rest of the yard, the pond and fish are doing great. The garden was a piece of cake to tend to this year with the new irrigation and fertilizer systems. All I had to do was pull small weeds on the weekends and that was it. The new raised flower bed by the upper pond is all filling in nicely, the shrubs and bushes are all growing great, and it's been awesome to just kick back and enjoy the yard instead of constantly working on it. Very happy with the finished product and still have no plans to change anything.

Cheers ya'll. :)
[/quote]

Wait a minute, you actually used this to get better?! I would have been hitting wedges off the side of the house, over the walls, and finding other ways to basically screw around.I would like to see a recorded shot of you hitting a 3/4 wedge in from the baseball field, let's see how receptive it is. :)

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59
Miura Black Wedge Series 52,56,60
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2

wow, that is amazing... like a few others at work i just went through this thread start to finish and I am amazed... trying to convince my father-in-law to do something like this to his yard.. he's got a lot of land :P

Very cool. If I'm ever in NM I might have to come and visit!

Wilson ProStaff Oversized Driver 10.5*
Wilson ProStaff Oversized 3W and 5W
Dunlop Driving Iron
Wilson ProStaff Oversized 3-PW
WITB Link
Golfsmith Professional Grind 56*
Northwestern Tom Weiskopf 314 blade

[quote name='rustyputterguy' timestamp='1380821233' post='7948045']
Wait a minute, you actually used this to get better?! I would have been hitting wedges off the side of the house, over the walls, and finding other ways to basically screw around.I would like to see a recorded shot of you hitting a 3/4 wedge in from the baseball field, let's see how receptive it is. :)
[/quote]

Haha. Yeah every once in awhile we end up just screwing around back there and seeing who can come up with the dumbest shot. :)

I'll see what I can do with the field shot depending on the weather tomorrow. One thing I should note though, is that this type of turf is designed for putting and shorter pitches, so I don't expect it to behave perfectly on fuller shots. The older style turf that is closer to 2" with a lot of top-fill is much better for holding full shots.

I'll still give it a try though because I am curious now to see exactly what happens, lol.

P - 2-ball Protype Black

[quote name='billeht' timestamp='1380821401' post='7948063']
wow, that is amazing... like a few others at work i just went through this thread start to finish and I am amazed... trying to convince my father-in-law to do something like this to his yard.. he's got a lot of land :P

Very cool. If I'm ever in NM I might have to come and visit!
[/quote]

Thanks bud. And you all are welcome to swing by any time.

P - 2-ball Protype Black

• 7 months later...

Haha, thanks you guys. Kind words like that is what made this whole thread a joy for me. It always felt like I had a big group of friends helping me move along with the project, especially during those times where I was out there working alone with seemingly little/no progress.

The offer is still always open for any WRX'er (in or coming through NM) to stop by and check it out. :)

P - 2-ball Protype Black

I just stumbled upon this thread, and it happens that I am contemplating a back yard green. All i can say is wow. Absolutely amazing. I really hope that if I end up making the thing that it ends up remotely close to what you produced here. All I can do is applaud you for finishing it, I would give up half way through if I had to do it myself. Anyway, hope its still holding up perfect and looking as good as ever!

Kasey

[quote name='505' timestamp='1400552592' post='9328425']
Haha, thanks you guys. Kind words like that is what made this whole thread a joy for me. It always felt like I had a big group of friends helping me move along with the project, especially during those times where I was out there working alone with seemingly little/no progress.

The offer is still always open for any WRX'er (in or coming through NM) to stop by and check it out. :)
[/quote]

Within my very limited circle of long time golf partners/friends, whenever the subject comes up, (often) THIS is the thread that allows me to say: "I know someone" !

Then, I show them this whole thread.

Not [u]one[/u] of them will even attempt to "do it your way" but, they HAVE picked up some great pointers. :good:

Thank you for putting it on GolfWRX, it is one hell of a conversation starter. :hi:

You ARE the :king: !

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

• 2 weeks later...

Really jealous! Amazing job!!

[size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace][color=#808080](Probably a M2 Driver)
(Probably a M2 3 Wood)
Titleist T-MB 2 iron w/ AD DI 105s
Titleist T-MB 4-9 w/ AMT s300
Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace][color=#808080]- 46.08 F Grind[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace][color=#808080]- 50.08 F Grind[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace][color=#808080]- 56.08 M Grind[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace][color=#808080]- 60.04 L Grind
Xenon Model 84[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='NotExactly' timestamp='1402013671' post='9438999']
This project was mind blowing in both scope and execution. Great job sir, truly inspirational. Is the simulator project still on the table?
[/quote]

Thank you. :)

At some point down the road I would like to widen this one room in my house and raise the ceiling, then set up a theatre/sim system in there (it is currently 10 x 30, want to make it 20 x 30). It's looking to be a super pricey ordeal though, and I have several other projects going on right now remodel-wise on other parts of the house (tearing down three walls, re-doing the kitchen, all new electrical and lighting, new flooring), so it will probably be awhile before I get on that.

I'm also not completely 100% sold on any of the sim units that are out there right now. I REALLY like the Foresight GC2, and it would work perfectly for my needs, but the prices they charge for their course packages are absolutely ridiculous compared to the rest of the market. Hopefully by the time I am ready to build the room, there is a better solution out there.

P - 2-ball Protype Black