2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Royal Precision Rifle Project X

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Guys I am hoping to get some clarification over the comparable flex of PX shafts to Dynamic Gold or the original Rifles. (I am looking to get a set of Callaway X-Forged irons and want to know what I would best suit me.)

I have played mostly Dynamic Gold in my irons forever - in S300 flex. I briefly played Rifle 6.0s but found them too heavy to the point where I lost the feeling of the clubhead. My driver swing speed is 105 MPH (yes I am happy to be honest in this regard as opposed to some 'post-ers' who claim to have swing speeds faster than a speeding bullet! :) )

So which PX shaft would best suit me? From what I have read so far 5.5 in PX would be closest to S300. Is this true?

I also heard that 6.0 in the original Rifles equates to 5.5 in PX, as apparently PX is 0.5 stronger than the original Rifles - can anyone confirm?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/expertise!

Guys I am hoping to get some clarification over the comparable flex of PX shafts to Dynamic Gold or the original Rifles. (I am looking to get a set of Callaway X-Forged irons and want to know what I would best suit me.)

I have played mostly Dynamic Gold in my irons forever - in S300 flex. I briefly played Rifle 6.0s but found them too heavy to the point where I lost the feeling of the clubhead. My driver swing speed is 105 MPH (yes I am happy to be honest in this regard as opposed to some 'post-ers' who claim to have swing speeds faster than a speeding bullet! :) )

So which PX shaft would best suit me? From what I have read so far 5.5 in PX would be closest to S300. Is this true?

I also heard that 6.0 in the original Rifles equates to 5.5 in PX, as apparently PX is 0.5 stronger than the original Rifles - can anyone confirm?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/expertise!

Most interested too. Played Mp-32's w/ DSG300 and didn't like it. Wondered if the 5.5 PX was the shaft that was comparable the the DSG300.

• 3 weeks later...

As of last week, my mizunp irons were sporting PX 6.5's, and I was not overly impressed with them. My main qualm was a lack of distance equal to one full club. Now that I have DG x100 shafts back in the irons my distance has gone back to normal.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS w/Tensei Orange // Callaway Epic Flash 3W w/GD Tour AD IZ-7 // Adams Idea Pro a12 w/UST VTS //

Callaway X Forged 2018 5-PW w/PX Catalyst 100 // Callaway JAWS MD5 50* 54* 58* & Full Toe 64* w/PX Catalyst 80 // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got my new set of MP-57's with the PX 6.0. I think these shafts have a tremendous feel, better than DGS300's, in my opinion. I used to play the CG1 black pearls with DGS300's and the ball launched really low with a lot of spin. My home course has really large greens with a lot of bunkers so to launch the ball higher should suit the course better. What I like about the launch of the PX 6.0 is the launch is a little higher but the distance is amazing. I would put the added distance at +10 yards per club. I will have these in Vegas in Feb to try out so can't wait for that. Does anyone else play with this combination?

i love the px shaft, it was a little hard getting used to because you really have to almost hit the ball not so much swing through it, but the feel is unparalleled and i really like how the ball just rockets off the face, i have much more control with the px and i am more confident with the spin on the short irons :busted2:

I just got a set of MP-57 with PX5.5, I had a set of Maxfli Revs with X-100. The X-100s were a little stiff for me but the 5.5s feel great. I got the 57s 1* strong so the combo is 8-12 yards longer than the Maxflis. Great trajectory, high and flat, I think these will work for me. I had a set of regular Rifle 6.0 before and the PX seems to have a little firmer tip, these are the best feeling shafts I have played.

I don't think TT has butchered them with the chrome. I've had several bad experiences in the past with PX's and Rifles, but recently got a set of irons that I'm absolutely comfortable with.

The irons are Miura forged TM RAC CB 2mm Tstamps 04 model, with chrome 6.0 Px. From a fitting point of view, these should be entirely to stiff for me, but they're not. You described it well firing THROUGH impact. I don't have a tremendous feel throughout the swing, but, with a good lag and weight shift and release through the ball, the feeling is tremendous. Additionally, I've picked some distance as today was a very windy day and I was able to keep the ball down much easier though it was a penetrating and rising ball flight which flew the green several times. And that with clubs I should have been dialed in on the yardage. eg. 164 yd par 3 with a crossing wind, normal 3/4 6 iron draw, flew it over no less than 12 yds.

I am still learning these irons and shafts as today was the first time on the range and playing. Swing was pretty loose a lot of the day and as could be expected, hit some good shots as well as bad ones. But with what I got from these things today, I can assure you, I'm not looking back. Oh, and by the way, I'm no 2, 3 or 4 hcp. I generally run along the lines of a 8 or 9 and can still blow up a number on occasion. I don't overpower a course with my length either, so you don't have to have PGA Tour swing speeds.

In closing, may I say ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I´ve played RAC LT´s with PX 5.5. (satin) and really enjoyed them. Got the TM R7 TP with PX 6.0 (Chrome), No way. Were like I was hitting a 7.0. Find them more stiff and heavier that my 5.5 satin. Last week a friend was playing Callaway x-20 tour with the PX Chromed 5.5 and have no doubt that shafts are not the same quality anymore.
I agree that since TT took over Royal Precision, products are not the same or do not perform the same way

• 2 weeks later...

I REALLY NEED HELP!

I just bought a set of Titleist 755 irons with the Trispec Stiff shaft. Although on the swing monitor in the store I averaged around 85 mph with the 6 iron (which is the cuspe for regular and stiff) I feel that this shaft is not right. It feels good with the 6 i to PW but my 5 iron and 4 iron go as far as my 6 iron and my 3 iron a little bit further.

I have hit the R300's before and just think they are that little bit too "flexy". So I am looking for something in between.

I was thinking about the project x flighted to help my long irons get higher. I just don't know what flex? I was thinking 5.5 because that is somewhere in between isn't it.

Or should I just get ba 5.0 in the project x?

Any comments at all would be appreciated. I am very lost even after reading all this thread.

Thanks

go PX 5.0's

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

This thread has a lot of good info, but I think some might be better informed if there was clarification between PX and PX Flighted. Chrome finish PX shafts can be either the standard or flighted, while I think all satin finish shafts are standard PX.

IMO PX Flighted plays softer than the regular PX. I play the X-Forged with PX Flighted 5.5's. The set produces a little too much spin for me and sometimes balloons. I usually use a Pro-V but switched to the X to offset the increased spin.

can anyone tell me what the weight is on the px 5.5? I know the royal precision site says 115g http://www.royalprecision.com/precision_steel_projectx.html

but is this for the original px satin shafts from royal precision or the new chrome one from trutemper?

Is there any difference between the two? I have the px5.5 in the chrome and i like the weight, would the satin finish be heavier or lighter and will if play a little different?

thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Do any of you guys play PX's in your wedges? I've heard that because they are a low spin shaft, wedge shots release more and don't get as much spin in comparison to DG's. I've currently got 6.0's in my 695mb's and love them. I'm thinking about switching my wedge shafts to PX too, but wondering if it might be a good idea to go with something softer like a 5.5.

I've got PX 6.0's in my Titleist Tour Satin 52 (bent to 50) and my 58 (bent to 56) and I still get a ton of spin. I went to the PX's to actually lower the flight and have had great results.

Titleist TSR3 10.0 Ventus Blue TR 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15.0 Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSR2 18.0 (@19.25) HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 80 6.5
Titleist T150 4-P KBS Tour X 
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw KBS Tour X: 48(@47).10F, SM9 54.12D, WedgeWorks 58.06 K Low Bounce 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5 35" Heavy
Titleist -ProV1x

Man I am not sure about what Rifle to go with.

I am playing PING i5's with zz-65 shaft.

I want to switch to the Mizuno MP-57's and a Rifle Shaft but not sure what flex. Can anybody help me out on this one?

I hit PW 135. 9iron 145 ish. And 5 iron 195.

Please help.

Coco.

I agree with humber, the 6.0 that is what I play, pw is 135 9 is 153 8 is 165 and so on, I have played this shaft for a couple of years now and love them!

I was playing the i5's last year with the dg s-400's amd made the switch to the MP-57 with the PX 6.0's, witch was the best move I have ever made! The distance is identical to the pings on the 6-pw. The 3-5 are about a half club longer. I hit my 8iron 165ish and my 5iron 210ish. Hope this helps. You will love that combo!

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

• 4 weeks later...

what is the difference between a chrome px and a satin px. ive been using S-300 for 15 years now and was wondering if i should make the switch to rifle. my handicap is 6 and i have Callaway xtour irons.

does the flighted px actually increase your trajectory because my ball flight is very low. thank you

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After playing forged blades for 25 years I made the jump to Game Improvement clubs – Callaway X-20s. I was leaving MP-33s and DG S300s, and wanted at least the same distances on the new clubs. I went to a fitter and we selected PX Flighted 5.0s. Here is why: I liked the feel of the shafts in X-20 Tours, but I did not like the Tour heads.

After about 10 rounds, here is my impression: consistent flight, lower (for me) than S300s, will not hook (with the S300s I always guarded against a surprise hook), a little muted feeling unless I really go at it. I can work the ball a little, and I can stretch distances a little without losing accuracy. The 5.0 shafts can handle my swing, which smooth in transition and sweeping (rather than digging).

I do not know anything about what Rifle shafts were like before TT. But I can say these shafts have made my transition easy. I hit more greens and distance control is as good as the S300s.

• 2 weeks later...