G2 or G5

ZGriswold83

New irons...
I've always had ping irons, started with eye 2+, now have ISI's, I want to get some new irons, and I've narrowed it down to either the G2's or G5's. I've heard good things about both of them, I've swung the G5's at a local shop, and really liked them, but I've never tried the G2's. Anyone tried both and liked one more than the other?? I need something in between a game-improvement type iron and a player type iron, I'm around a 9 handicap. I'm probably not going to buy new irons this season, I'll wait till before the start of next season, so I'm kind of leaning toward the G5's because I should be able to pick up a set relatively cheap, since ping will come out with a new series of irons next year.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm a big time Ping ho and have played them all thru the years, Eye2, Eye2+, ISI's, i3 blades, i3+ blades, i5's, G2's, G5's, G10's, i10's, Zing2's, and on and on...you get the picture.

anyway, if you're a 9 handi, you can definitely handle the i5's. I think the i5's are the absolute best iron Ping came out with. It combines all the attributes of all the irons before and after it. It has offset, but not as much as the Eye2's, it takes the shape of the venerable i3 series with a thinner topline, and it has the unique feature of a squarish toe, which personally, I love. The ISI's are fantastic irons as well, but if you're going the G5/G2 route, I think you're barking up the wrong tree if you're looking for more "playability" in your iron game.

JMHO, but the ISI's and the G5's are basically the same iron, with the G5's being more forgiving, that's about it. The i5's, OTOH, will give you equal forgivness but a boatload more potential to work the ball and hit different shots with.

g2's are the most forgiving - highest hitting ping irons I've ever hit. They are also butt-ugly to my eye.

That being said, I've fitted 4 high cappers into g2's (one into the g2 ez's) in the last two seasons and they all love them.

Zero workability....almost. You really need to put a move on something to get balls to move off these irons.

I have had my i5's for about a month now and really like them. Came from a set of TM200 with DGs300, so it took a bit of getting used to the CS Lite shaft. The CS Lite is growing on me, but I do have a set of Rifles that were too good of a deal to pass up on the way.

I am a 9 hdcp and the i5's are not too much club. They are nice to look down at and high/low trajectory can be manipulated easily. I am not much one to try to draw/slice, so I cant comment there.

I looked at G5 and G2 also. The G2 had a taller face, while the G5 face was very shallow but long. I didnt like the look of either one. Putting the G5 next to the i5, the i5 actually gave me more confidence than the G5. Not sure why.

Bottom line, the i5's are between a player and GI iron. If you are a 9, you can handle the i5's (unless your iron game is your weakness).

I play the G5s and came from a set of MX-23s. The offsets took a while to get used to, but overall it's a great club. As a mid-capper I thought about getting the I5s, but the reason why I ditched the MX-23s was for more forgiveness so I stuck with the G5s. However, I am considering replacing the short irons with I5's and as a single digit handicapper you should probably be looking at a set of entirely I5s or a I5/G5 combo set.

actually my iron game is my strength... I'm pretty consistent and creative with my irons, usually hit a high little fade into greens, but I like to hit a lot of half shots when between clubs, and play low runners when my driver gets me into trouble...sounds like I need the I5's...as I prefer a thinner top line..I could never hit a big bertha iron..waaaaaaaay to thick of top line for me.

Hi mate i used G5 irons when i was a 12 handicap. I got down to 9 and then switched to the I5. I am now playing from a 7 handicap. Moving to the I5 when i was in single figures has really helped my ball striking. Although i dont work the ball alot i can when i need to. Its much easier to do this with the I5 than the G5. Like the previous posts say the I5 have the best features of all Ping irons to date. Get them and you will be a happy man!

Ping all the way!!

I've switched many irons in the past 8 years, and have had my i5/G5 combo for the past 3 1/2 years. They aren't leaving my bag anytime soon. My setup is as follows: 4-6 iron G5 and 7-PW i5.

I don't play a 4 iron anymore as I've replaced it with a 24 deg. g10 hybrid (good move on my part as I just played yesterday and had a long second shot on a long par 4 at just over 220 yards. I knew that my 5 iron maxes out at about 200-205 on a good hit, my 24 deg. maxes at 215, so I pulled out my 21 deg and smoothed it with a slight fade into a bunker just right of the green. I easily reached the green with it, but that's off topic... :jester:

I was thinking of replacing my G5 5 and 6 irons with i5s, but I had a 200 yard 2nd shot on another hole that the g5 5 iron just ate up...knocked it just short of the green. I really like this combo and the two types of irons blend together quite nicely (much better than the i10 and g10s IMO).

Either way, you could go i5s all the way through, or a combo. They're great irons! Forgiving, nearly indestructible and soft feeling. You won't go wrong with either path.

^m9

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i210 / 5-PW DG 120 S300 (waiting for i230s to return from PING)

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D

TITLEIST SPECIAL SELECT / FLOWBACK 5 (H)