The scoop on TP Mills putter.

tarik

Trying to get the 411 on TP Mills putters
I'm just now noticing that the TP Mills putters are getting allot of recognition. I've never really heard of them until I became a member of this site. From what I can see they share allot of the same characteristics as Scotty Cameron. How long have they been around? How much do they cost? What tour pros are using them? Oh what the hell, just tell me everything you know because I feel retarded. :cheesy:

From TPMILLS.com

We appreciate your time in visiting our new web site. Our site was developed to provide current and potential clients the knowledge of how T.P. Mills hand made putters originated and how they are crafted today. The unique skills and innovation that founded the company are present today, 40 years later. If you already own a T.P. Mills putter, we hope that you will have a better appreciation after looking through this site. Our putters are designed around our customers desires, all of our clients are treated like world class tour players.

Golfers around the world recognize the T.P. Mills name and what that name represents. Original designs that are tour proven, high quality materials, and strict attention to details. We are not a mass production company, this is one of the things that separates our company’s philosophy from others.

For the first time our company is introducing a line of accessories that carry the T.P. Mills name. These products will include: custom bags, putter covers, grips and other products associated with our putters that can be found no where else. We will also offer complete restoration and refinishing of T.P. Mills putters and other high end putters.

Our site will be updated as much as possible and will include handmades, production prototypes, tour samples and other unique putter models. We hope this site gives you a better appreciation of our passion and commitment to making the finest putters available. We hope you enjoy your visit.

-David F. Mills

In the early 1960's T.P. Mills was a scratch golfer. He believed he could design and produce a putter that would be superior to the one he used. That was the start of the T.P. Mills Co. Today that same desire still motivates the T.P. Mills co. to make a better putter. Starting with little more that basic hand tools and unformed blocks of carbon steel. T.P. Mills began designing shaping and building true handmade putters that would lead a whole industry. For over 40 years the T.P.Mills co has set the standard by which all carbon-steel putters are measured. Along the way the company has collected a filing cabinet full of patents. T.P. Mills Co. designs continue to be copied by putter manufacturers to this day.

T.P. Mills began tinkering with putter design in the early 1960s at a time when the putter was the cheapest and possibly worst designed club in the golf bag. Having tried putting with all the most popular models of that day, he began his work to design one that was better than current models of the time, thus enabling average golfers as well as professionals to improve their putting. Little thought had been given to the function of most putters from a scientific standpoint. The center of gravity or the "sweet spot" was not marked on most putters or if marked was not placed in the proper spot. Also, the putter shafts used were basically the same shafts used in wood and iron clubs, just cut to shorter lengths.

The former aviation instructor and U.S. postman started correcting these problems by designing his own grips, special shafts and putter models by paying particular attention to the above mentioned as well as weight, loft, lie, hosel design and the size and shape of the flange. The correct balance of the putter is very important to the Mills Co., something that is often over looked in many of today’s putters. If you already own Mills handmade you have a virtual "mastermodel" because no two have ever been created exactly the same. "Every putter I make is different in that it is suited to the individual," Mills has always said. The perfect balance and fit of a Mills handmade putter is born out in their use to win many of golf’s major championships, and virtually all of the PGA Tour events and many of the top amateur tournaments around the world.

T.P. Mills’s handmade putters have been treasured by Five presidents of the United States as well as Prime ministers, national and foreign dignitaries, celebrities and nearly every tour player that has graced this great game. The T.P. Mills company has letters of gratitude from such people along with the accompaniment of personal checks, payment for the clubs. Let there be no mistake, T.P. Mills was responsible for taking a club that sold for $35 to $45 and through great craftsmanship and originality turning it into on that sold for several hundred even thousands of dollars. T.P. Mills turned putter manufacturing into putter designing and then into the art of making a putter. Many of the top putter designers of the last 20 years are collectors of T.P.'s work. Yet, T. P. and David will be the first to say that there is no magic wand. "Its still the puttee’ more than the putter," "But if you get the putter where you like the feel of it, the weight, balance and loft are right for you, the "sweet spot" is where it should be and the shaft flex is correct, that’s as far as you can go."

Today the T.P. Mills Co. runs under the leadership of T.P.’s son David and his talent and craftsmanship are well recognized among the top PGA tour players and amateur players around the world. And whose handmade models have won many current PGA Tour and European events ensuring the family a proud tradition of making handmade's one at a time. The Mills family continues to design and develop new models with each one being a putter of precision craftsmanship that many believe cannot be matched.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• 1 year later...

WB, in relation to your TPM10, yes, they are little spendy. But, in relation to the latest creations from the "Big" milled putter guys, they are extremely reasonable. I visited Jay's site, tpmillsputters.com, yesterday and was pleasantly reminded how affordable the production Softtails are.

The feedback that you see on David's putters is some of the best that you will see on any forum.

I know that I am saving for one, just need to thin out the existing herd.

The price is less than a fancy new driver, but still is enough to warrant serious thought. If that #10 ever lets you down, a new Mills may be just the ticket.

Just one putter junkie's opinion,

LaMont in AZ

• 5 weeks later...

You'll find everything you need to know with a simple search -- almost a history from David's Handmades 3-4 years ago to his Professional Series to his new Handmades are on this site.

Knowing what you need for the stroke you have are the most impotant factors before choosing any putter, much less a Mills.

Consider the length, lie, headweight, loft, offset, hosel type, toe hang, and model that fits your stroke.

Describe your stroke and then others can point you in a direction.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• 1 year later...

I know they aren't as desirable as the hand made tp mills but the old spalding precision ground have a grat feel.They also had some that were computer milled and are pretty sweet feeling too.Bargain basement prices compared to the hand mades.It's all in your stoke though isn't it.Tiger could problely putt with a roll of quarters duct taped to the end of a stick.

• 5 months later...

First question: What is the time line on the 'Spalding designed by TPM' and 'Mizuno by TPM' putters?

Second question: If I were to pick up a used Spalding by TPM from the bay, does TPM offer restoration, or is there another avenue?

Third question: With reference to #2 above, does the value of the restored putter increase, ala you know who, who shall remain nameless?

Thanks,

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

I have owned a couple TP Mills and while the quality was superb, I didn't care for the styling (I do think I would like the Huey model though). I prefer an Anser styled look. If you like the Anser style, you should also check out www.350milled.com

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Driver
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ FW

Srixon ZX5/ZX7

Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

I have a Spalding Touring Pro TPM IV - what is the difference between the putters with Roman numerals and the putters with numbers on the face? Is there a difference?

Very little difference between the two series. Here is a timeline I wrote and posted at PT; http://www.puttertalk.com/community/index....ic,14923.0.html

Mark

Wow! Thank you :-)

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

If you are in Asia you can get a TP Mills line that is slightly cheaper in price.

Cast and made by a Japanese company. The quality is superb. I putted with 4 different models on a golf store floor and they felt great. I honestly didn't know they were cast.

The "stampings" looked to be machine engraved as well because the consistency and quality for putters of the same model were perfect.

I have owned a couple TP Mills and while the quality was superb, I didn't care for the styling (I do think I would like the Huey model though). I prefer an Anser styled look. If you like the Anser style, you should also check out www.350milled.com

Mills makes a Anser style called the Tradtion II, very nice putter

http://tpmillsputters.com/trad2.aspx

Indeed.

Or the one-piece plumbers neck (1310) Tradition II, which is closer to the original Anser.

1.jpg

Indeed.

Or the one-piece plumbers neck (1310) Tradition II, which is closer to the original Anser.

1.jpg

Now that is a beautiful looking putter! Check out TP Mills web site for the different options. To get some ideas, you can even look at archive photos for those putters currently not in stock. If all else fails contact Mr. Jay Green.

Good luck!

Found you the site for the Asia releases.

http://www.jeanspacific.com/syohin/index.php?ca=3

Did you say they're cast?

HIGH QUALITY castings.

The masters of the castings come from the Mills Co in Tuscaloosa then the putters themselves are made by Jeans Pacific. I don't have 100% confirmation if they are made in Japan or made somewhere else by a Japanese company. I'm sure Jay Green can clarify the entire process/licensee relationship with Jeans Pacific.

I do not also know if all the TP Mills putters in the Jeans Pacific site are made by Jeans Pacific or if some of them are made by David Mills in Tuscaloosa. I cannot read Japanese and there are no distinguishing features or marks.

Like i said I putted with a few models and was surprised to find out later on they were cast in Japan.

Found you the site for the Asia releases.

http://www.jeanspacific.com/syohin/index.php?ca=3

Did you say they're cast?

HIGH QUALITY castings.

The masters of the castings come from the Mills Co in Tuscaloosa then the putters themselves are made by Jeans Pacific. I don't have 100% confirmation if they are made in Japan or made somewhere else by a Japanese company. I'm sure Jay Green can clarify the entire process/licensee relationship with Jeans Pacific.

I do not also know if all the TP Mills putters in the Jeans Pacific site are made by Jeans Pacific or if some of them are made by David Mills in Tuscaloosa. I cannot read Japanese and there are no distinguishing features or marks.

Like i said I putted with a few models and was surprised to find out later on they were cast in Japan.

The designs for the cast putters that Jeans Pacific licensed from the Mills Co. are made in Taiwan/Korea and assembled there, as well.

The CAST putters are all nickel plated and are high polished.

We also sell Jeans Pacific milled putters from the shop in Tuscaloosa.

****The heads that were used to make the castings from were cast in Taiwan/Korea, sent to David to hand radius. The heads were then sent back to Taiwan/Korea and the final castings were completed.****

These are very high quality putters and are selling quite well in their respective markets.

Jay

Great to hear all the heads on the Jeans Pacific site actually pass through David to hand radius (sorry don't know what that is :)) then sent back.

Now we are on the topic, what is hand radius?

I think you misunderstood.

The masters for the cast putters were finished by David and then final castings were made. All of the putters are made from these castings. They don't send each putter to David to finish.

a radius is a process of grind edges leading, trailing, bumpers, literally anything that has a hard edge on it, is radiused, to soften the look and make the overall playability of the putter greater.

jay