Adams 9015D and 9016D

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a 10.5 degree with the stock Matrix 60 stiff shaft about three weeks ago. It only took a few balls at the range to realize why so many people love this club - the feel is amazing. It's got decent weight in the head so you can feel where the clubhead is throughout the swing which I like a lot. Impact feels crisp and solid and its got a nice sound. The ball definitely comes off the face hot, no doubt about that.

Unfortunately I do have a complaint with the club and I'm not sure I can get over it. When you set the head down on the ground it kinda rolls open and doesn't really sit flat. I've found it really tough to figure out how to setup with the head in a neutral position. If I let go of the club, the face rolls open and it looks like its about 13deg and 2 deg open. I've struggled to get a consistent trajectory and left/right ball flight with it and I think this is the reason. It might also be the shaft - not too sure.

I love the feel and the performance though so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. I'm curious to see if anyone else feels the same way about the setup position with this club.

For the last poster- I've a ss of 95-98 & i just purchased a 9015d 9.5*S ; and bought it for $133.95.I didn't even swing it- just bought it after hearing the reviews.Even with a slower ss like mine- this driver lives up to the hype!The shaft is long ,but i choke up anyway.Played 18 today & not one was out of the fairway- i'm not overly long anyway ,but i was hitting it 240(average).this is the first driver that didn't hook or slice on me- just slight fade/draw- very workable.In my opinion the 9015 is better than my ft9 tour w/ fubuki63. :good: - Just a quick update: I played yesterday & cut it to 45"- hit my longest with this club @ 260 which is great for my ss.

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

I use a 48" grafalloy epic XX on a 7.5 adams 9016D head, I have gained 20 yards and I am 64 yrs.old; I now average 285 and produce several drives per round over 300 yds.

i got a 9016 7.5 coming....is my 115 swingspeed going to be able to do big things with this club...i like the deeper face and lower spin and that is why i chose this one over the 9015...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally gave the 9015D a whirl. I tested it head-to-head against my XTD Pro (w/ GD YSQ). The results were great but not compelling enough to give up my XTD.

The 9015D looks great at address. It has a noticeably greater roll and bulge on the face compared to my XTD. It sets up cleanly. The rounder appearance of the face, particularly where it meets the crown, took a little getting used to when aligning my shot.

The ball screams off the face. Comparing longest drives hit with both, the 9015D was longer than my XTD.

The ball flight was lower, however, than with my XTD and comparing average drive distance, the XTD edged it out because I was hitting it straighter and higher.

The Matrix shaft also felt strange to me as it is balanced with more weight along the middle of the shaft compared to the YSQ. This helped make the 9015D feel more workable.

After hitting 20 drives, alternating between the two clubs on each shot, it was clear that the XTD works better for me on the average shot. But I can see what all the hoopla is regarding the 9015D because when I did get a hold of one the results were awesome. But for my game, I value down the middle over long so the XTD remains in the bag.

• 2 weeks later...
i was browsing around some sites today and a couple had the a4 for like $199 and i even saw one for $175. brand new of course. i just thought it was kinda weird seeing it discounted for so much. i've been thinking about gaming one since i've been having problems really ballooning my rapture but i don't know.

I think Adams is going to use that platform for an all new driver & marketing campaign in the next while so they are gonna clear out any additional clubs that may muddy the waters.

i was browsing around some sites today and a couple had the a4 for like $199 and i even saw one for $175. brand new of course. i just thought it was kinda weird seeing it discounted for so much. i've been thinking about gaming one since i've been having problems really ballooning my rapture but i don't know.

I think Adams is going to use that platform for an all new driver & marketing campaign in the next while so they are gonna clear out any additional clubs that may muddy the waters.

Adams is already two generations past the A4 with the release of the Speedline and now the Speedline 9032LS. So what are you talking about "muddy the waters"?!?

Adams is already two generations past the A4 with the release of the Speedline and now the Speedline 9032LS. So what are you talking about "muddy the waters"?!?

I thought the Speedline and 9015D were same generation but aimed at slightly different markets?

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I thought the Speedline and 9015D were same generation but aimed at slightly different markets?

Nope.

9015D was 2008 release, Speedline was 2009.

Nope.

Regardless the Speedline was not made to supplant the 9015D. The 9032LS is the second generation Speedline.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Nope.

Regardless the Speedline was not made to supplant the 9015D. The 9032LS is the second generation Speedline.

Yes, eventually the Speedline will "supplant" the 9015D. That's how it generally works with OEM's, the newer stuff overlaps the older stuff for a while and then the older stuff goes away.

They are both intended for the same "market", i.e., high-end performance drivers.

Well, it's getting pedantic now but the Speedline has not supplanted the 9015D and was not aimed that way. Completely separate designs and goals. Both are fine heads for their target market, i consider the 9015D brilliant. People that fit well into the 9015D will barely ever find the original Speedline to be a good replacement or fit.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Well, it's getting pedantic now but the Speedline has not supplanted the 9015D and was not aimed that way. Completely separate designs and goals. Both are fine heads for their target market, i consider the 9015D brilliant. People that fit well into the 9015D will barely ever find the original Speedline to be a good replacement or fit.

I'm not suggesting they are similar but as it goes, Adams does not have any plans of continuing the A4 line which used to be its flagship. Their new flagship driver is the Speedline line. So yes, the Speedline is positioned to supplant the 9015D as Adam's flagship driver.

They have the same target market: Flagship Driver.

I'm not suggesting they are similar but as it goes, Adams does not have any plans of continuing the A4 line which used to be its flagship. Their new flagship driver is the Speedline line. So yes, the Speedline is positioned to supplant the 9015D as Adam's flagship driver.

I own both clubs and judging by the way it looks right now I might be inclined to agree with you. However, I believe that Adams has something else up its sleeve. After playing both clubs side by side, I can honestly say that the Speedline is a gimmick driver in comparison to the 9015D. There is no way that the R&D guys at Adams would let it represent the brand as a flagship, it is not even comparable to the 9015D.

Adams gave people a good quality, well priced driver in the Speedline in order to attract customers to the brand and allow them to consider buying their more expensive Driver offerings moving forward. This reminds me of the way Lexus attracted customers who would likely buy a BMW or Benz in the early 90s.

The 9015D platform is going to show up in the form of something snazzy and more expensive than the Speedline in the next year but no telling what it is yet.

Ok, well at least i now know for certain there will not be any replacement at all for the 9015D line, which is depressing news. That driver is the bomb and i had thought they would surely move the model forward. I can stop holding out to ho the next one now.

Cheers

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Let me add on to this thread. I purchased a A4 9015d 8.5* Head on this site. I installed a Grafalloy Comp NT 65 gram shaft. I like my Drivers at around D4 swingweight and the only thing that saddened me was I achieved that at 44". Today was the first day I hit it. It is so solid and I found the sweet spot frequently. It is a little rocket and fairway finder. Love what I see at adress as well. Its a keeper!

I need help. I just bought an Adams 9015D 9.5 with the stock stiff Ozik shaft. I had hoped it would bring my ball flight down a little and give me a little flatter angle of descent due to the lower spin. i carry my taylormade burner (9.5 degree with stiff Reax shaft) about 250yds plus and its a mid-high to high trajectory. I can only carry the 9015D about 200-220 yds ands its a very low trajectory that appears to nose dive at the end of the flight. I don't understand why I have this problem. I would imagine its not a clubhead speed problem or I couldn't carry the Burner that far. I can't imagine the very low spin rate of the 9015D is causing that much of a difference. Looking for help please. Very discouraged so far. Appreciate the input.

[quote name='taylormadgolf017' post='1853301' date='Jul 30 2009, 02:01 PM']I need help. I just bought an Adams 9015D 9.5 with the stock stiff Ozik shaft. I had hoped it would bring my ball flight down a little and give me a little flatter angle of descent due to the lower spin. i carry my taylormade burner (9.5 degree with stiff Reax shaft) about 250yds plus and its a mid-high to high trajectory. I can only carry the 9015D about 200-220 yds ands its a very low trajectory that appears to nose dive at the end of the flight. I don't understand why I have this problem. I would imagine its not a clubhead speed problem or I couldn't carry the Burner that far. I can't imagine the very low spin rate of the 9015D is causing that much of a difference. Looking for help please. Very discouraged so far. Appreciate the input.[/quote]

It is kind of a difficult shaft for that, I have been struggling to keep mine very high as well. What I have done to remedy it (strangely enough) is move the ball back in my stance a bit, it seems like the way the shaft releases is more compatible with hitting the ball earlier in the swing. I will probably get it reshafted next season, I am not in a real hurry to spend any more money.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, after reading all of the raves about the 9015D, and reading some posts about it maybe being phased out eventually by the speedline, I had to get it! This is my 1st driver that I have bought other than the one that came with my Ovation II set that I bought 4 months ago when I started golfing. The Ovation driver came with a grafalloy blue reg. flex, and I got the 9015D in the stock stiff ozik. Hope it's as sweet as described.