Cleveland HiBore XLS

KEY FEATURES:

Stability – High MOI

24% larger head volume than the original Hibore fairway improves MOI for more stability and very accurate shots. Larger size makes it look extremely hittable and creates slightly more spin to get the ball into the air easily.

Size – Massive Face

19% larger than the original Hibore fairway, it represents Cleveland’s largest face ever on a fairway wood. By drastically increasing the hitting area, results on mishits have dramatically improved.

Sight – Dual Alignment Features

Crown plaque and “stability foils” make it easy to properly align the club at address.

Shaft - Fujikura Fit-On M Gold

* Low-Mid Kickpoint and active tip selection for increased launch angle.

* Higher ball speed and optimal trajectory results in maximum distance with smooth feel at impact.

Shaft - Fujikura Fit-On M Red

* Designed for strong players with fast swing speeds or players who struggle with too much spin.

* Mid-High Kickpoint and low torque allow skilled players to control their trajectory.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

This 3 wood is by far the best I've used - the shaft really works for me and the face is very hot. I have the 13 deg with the red fit-on and it launches a low, penetrating ball that I can work just slightly left or right when I want - although point and shoot is the usual plan. I tried this on the launch monitor against the TEE, 906 F4, Cobra, Burner, and Callaway X. None of them came within 15 yds of the Hi-Bore XLS. The shaft/face combo totally kill any unwanted side spin and there is no ballooning.

I would have to say this stock shaft is the best one I've ever used and has alot to do with my love affair with the club. The head shape doesn't bother me at all - I actually am very comfortable with the scooped back - makes me feel like I am hitting the ball with the face of a hammer.

This is a great review of the club -

http://thesandtrap.com/equipment/clubs/cle...way_wood_review

I'm currently playing the 15* and 19* both with the Red shaft in an X. They are everything I wanted in a fairway wood.

I like the large size because the major reason I went back to playing fairway woods was for use off the tee. I'm a very long hitter, 120+ SS, so I've been finding as my handicap drops and I strike the ball much more square that I've been hitting my driver straight through some fairways. I was playing hybrids but I didn't like the performance when I would tee them up.

I first tried a Callaway X and the face was too shallow for me. I still felt like I was swinging an iron and couldn't get the height I was looking for. I also was having issues with the closed face angle. For some reason I have zero confidence in a club unless it is square or open at address.

To tackle both of these issues I went with a Nike Sasquatch and got the look and deep face I wanted, but the feel and the distance were lacking in this club and it didn't get the ball up as quick as I wanted either.

Then I went through a phase where I was a Titleist ho and switch to a 906F4. The feel, the look and performance were all there. Bu once again I had issues with consistency because of the shallow face. I would hit about 1 out of 5 off the crown because the face was just too shallow.

So I ditched Titleist and came to the realization that I shouldn't be playing just one brand of clubs but I should be playing what I feel are the best clubs for me.

Finally after about a month of hitting every fairway wood known to man I found a club with a deep face to help with a consistent strike off the tee and a square face to boost my confidence. The feel is awesome and the sound is great. These clubs are extremely forgiving. even on mishits the ball will draw or fade 10 yards at the most, which is awesome for a mid handicapper like myself.

I've rated them a 4 because they do grab the turf a little too easy if you make too steep of a swing.

Even though I like the stock shaft and hit the 15*-260 and the 19*-240 I'm switching the shafts to a Diamana Blue Board to add even more stability. I'll post results in length and trajectory changes after I do so.

PS - Second place was the Callaway FT Tour. All the performance was the same but I couldn't stand the loud ping sound off the face.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

• 7 months later...

I have the 3 wood with the stock shaft. Sets up square at address, very stable throughout the swing, and at impact the feel is powerful and meaty. I love carpenter steel woods, and I rotate the XLS with the 909f2. The Titleist is easier to hit off the fairway as the XLS has a large sole. I use the XLS primarily off the tee so playability does not factor for me. Distance is good, forgiveness is excellent. The scoop out look does not bother me. Used to think Hibores were ugly from photos, but it's actually a tasteful looking club up close. The finish is a rich, matte black and it lacks any cheap, toy-like quality. I highly recommend to those searching for the center of the fairway.

• 3 weeks later...

This baby has a HOT face. I feel very confident with this club (3 wood w/ fit on golf stiff) as I can just swing away when I tee it up. Plays well from the fairway as well in my opinion. Seems it is definitely not that popular of a three wood, but that only means the prices are gonna be really low soon so go out and try one!

I went to a demo day last weekend at my preferred range and was on the hunt for an easy to hit 3w. The last fairway wood I liked was an old Launcher Steel 4w but I haven't had much success finding a 3w to fit my current swing performance. So after trying a couple of different companies, I headed over to the Cleveland/Srixon Tent to inquire. The rep set me up with a Srixon club and the Launcher first since I asked for a traditional looking 3w. They were decent, but not much better than my current Cobra F Speed for me.

He then asked me about what I was really after and my reply was easy to hit (I mean stupid easy/swings itself almost) and good from the ground or a tee. He said the club for me was the XLS fairway. I used to have an XL driver and currently game the Hibore Hybrids so the scoop back didn't put me off at address at all. It took about 3 swings and the love fest was on. I hit that club for the better part of a half hour and was taking notice of the good shots but also the bad swings. I ordered one right there (15* Gold - Stiff) and he said for $120 more I could get a driver with it. So my dad was with me and fathers day is coming up so I had him fit for a driver (Monster XLS 10.5* - Gold Regular) and amended my order.

I am waiting to take delivery of the club and highly anticipating the first round in play.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This club is a feedback fetishist's dream. Hit it low, toe, heel or high and you'll know. I'm using the 13 with a fuji red fit on and it's the best fairway I've ever owned, (980f, V steel were my previous long termers) really feels superb off the middle. The shaft head combo is great, I've had no pop ups or snaps and it instils confidence. Not as workable as some but hardly an issue.

I really tried hard not to try/like this club as I hated the driver, but the fairway is a different beast. The caved in head looks better every time you flush it too.