AP1 vs Mizuno MX 200

I would like to revive this discussion on AP1 vs MX-200, since it seems to go off topic a bit....

Can anyone who has tried both compare them?  Specifically.....

1) How do the stock shafts compare? (Dynalite Gold XP vs Dynamic Gold HL)

2) Which club would be more forgiving on fat hits?

3) Which club will I be better able to stay with once my ball striking improves?

4) Which has better feel?

5) Which is less harsh on the joints on mishits?

Great questions. I've hit both extensively and can answer:

1) Ball flight is very similary with both. I actually had a bit of a ballooning problem with the Dynamic Gold HL vs the Dynalite which surprised me. The Dynamic Gold HL plays looser no doubt. Mizuno selected the Dynalite Gold XP because it plays tighter than the DG HL.

See this link for validation:

http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/resources/faq...=&search=xp

2) No doubt the Mizuno's triple cut sole is designed to be better in this area. I personally didn't notice a clear winner in this category.

3) I think both clubs can grow from 18 hdcp to scratch.

4) Miz is forged, clear winner in this category although the AP1 is a smooth feeling cast club.

5) This one is a coin toss and tough to compare apples to apples unless you put the same shaft in each. From my hitting experience the AP1 wins this category but would imagine that's because of the softer DG HL shaft.

I think both are great clubs overall and if you go and get FITTED and select the best club based upon which fits YOU the best you can't go wrong with either.

Me, I'm a 6 year MX-23 player and will pick-up a set of MX-200s before they reach end of life.

Thanks for the reply!  My ball flight is sometimes too high, so I was thinking of getting either one with Dynamic Gold R300's anyway.  The XP shaft feels a tad too light to me.  As far as which club would be "outgrown" faster, I get different answers from everyone. What determines this? The MX200 has a smaller topline (7.1 to 8.4), but the AP1 has a smaller sole (22.3 to 25). The MX200 is also a little smaller heel to toe (88.4 to 91). I would say the smaller topline AND the smaller overall clubhead size would make the MX-200 more of a "players club". Am I wrong?

I agree, in my opinion the mx-200 is more of a players club no question. There are no doubt more mx-200s in play on the pro tours than the AP1.

I would never consider the MX-200 a "player's cb". Whoa.. it's huge.

Don't get me wrong. I like the MX-200, and was ready to buy a set until I demo'd the AP1's. I played yesterday and hit some SWEET iron short with my AP1's. I got them fitted with DGS300's. You can get the AP1's with any of the shafts Titleist offers, including PX6.0's. It was a toss up between the DGS300's and PX 6.0's when I was fitted, but I like the feel and kick more of the DGS300's.

Thy AP1's are wonderful sticks. My GIR's have improved dramatically and I feel completely confident even standing over the 4-iron. Every single iron is just so easy to hit. I'm able to work them when needed, and they help me with my misses big time. I'm a 9 right now. I was a 12 when I bought them several months ago, and I just have so much confidence in them.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong. I like the MX-200, and was ready to buy a set until I demo'd the AP1's. I played yesterday and hit some SWEET iron short with my AP1's. I got them fitted with DGS300's. You can get the AP1's with any of the shafts Titleist offers, including PX6.0's. It was a toss up between the DGS300's and PX 6.0's when I was fitted, but I like the feel and kick more of the DGS300's.

Thy AP1's are wonderful sticks. My GIR's have improved dramatically and I feel completely confident even standing over the 4-iron. Every single iron is just so easy to hit. I'm able to work them when needed, and they help me with my misses big time. I'm a 9 right now. I was a 12 when I bought them several months ago, and I just have so much confidence in them.

The AP1s actually have a thicker topline than the MX-200s (8.4 vs 7.1). They are also larger heel to toe (91 to 88). So if you think the MX200's are "huge", your clubs are "huger".  I wouldn't consider either a "players club".  I was just trying to determine which club would be "outgrown" faster, that's all.  I would conclude it's a toss up.  Both clubs just want to go straight.  

I favored the mx200 until I played with a 2 handicap who has the ap1 irons. He is a senior, however, I was really impressed with how consistently he hit his irons. I hit them and it was really hard to put a bad swing on them. Very predictable. I was planning on an MX200 purchase, now I may decide on the ap1.

As a two hdcp, i would think he would be able to hit most clubs consistently.

The AP1s actually have a thicker topline than the MX-200s (8.4 vs 7.1). They are also larger heel to toe (91 to 88). So if you think the MX200's are "huge", your clubs are "huger".  I wouldn't consider either a "players club".  I was just trying to determine which club would be "outgrown" faster, that's all.  I would conclude it's a toss up.  Both clubs just want to go straight.  

You won't be able to "outgrow" any club provide you hit it well. I saw a prior club champion who played Callaway X-20's. And not the Tour's, but the std's. He was so dialed in with these clubs.

In fact, the vast majority of guys that I saw at the SF City Championship played "shovels" that most of you guys turn your nose up at. And this was the Championship flight with a bunch of scratch to +2/3 handicap golfers.

Cracks me up when people say they'll "outgrow" a club. Both clubs are very easy to work, and both do want to straight.

Ask yourself this question, when playing golf with your buddy's, and all of the money in on the line on #18, and all of your are in the fairway. What set do you want in your bag??

• 4 weeks later...

I've hit both of these side by side at the range (6 iron) off a mat. They both offered similar results, however, I felt more comfortable with the MX-200. Better all around feel FOR ME. Everyone is different. I recently ordered a set and they just arrived but I haven't picked them up yet.

If they both feel good to you, oyu really cant go wrong then.

I've not only hit both but I've owned both. I originally had MX-23 and got the new equipment bug bad.

Bought the AP1...very forgiving club but found the they had no feedback. I couldn't tell where on the clubface I was hitting the ball (on my 23s I could tell you immediately where I had hit the ball and what my shot was going to do before finishing my backswing). The stock TT HL shafts were just wrong for me also....my ball flight was just too high. Also, the ones I had mark-up pretty bad. This seems to be a common complaint about the AP1. Also, the feel thing really screwed up my chipping with these clubs as the ball would just explode off the club face.

After about 5 weeks I brought them back and went back to Miz (came down to the MX-200 or the MP-52...hit both about the same ended up going with the 200 b/c they were $200 less). I'm very happy with the 200's. They are a tad more forgiving than the 23 but not as forgiving as the AP1 however the AP1 has zero feel compared to the forged clubs.

I don't know what kind of game you have but if you are set on Titleist you may want to try the AP-2 as I feel they are not hard to hit at all (probably equal to the MX-200 for me) and had I got them instead of the AP1....I'd still have them.

I favored the mx200 until I played with a 2 handicap who has the ap1 irons. He is a senior, however, I was really impressed with how consistently he hit his irons. I hit them and it was really hard to put a bad swing on them. Very predictable. I was planning on an MX200 purchase, now I may decide on the ap1.

Just maybe being an "indian" with a 2 handicap had more to do with his consistency than the "arrow" he was using. I've heard more positive comments across a wide range of handicaps about the MX-200 than the AP-1. Again, it's preference.

Easiest way to tell... go hit them outside. All things being relatively equal, buy the ones that feel better than the others. If it feels good when you hit it, you will want to hit it more, and be more confident with them. Confidence=fun golf. Enjoy

Adams 9015D w/Harrison Saga 60S
Callaway XR Pro 4 wood 16* PX 6.0
Callaway Apex Hybrid 18* & 23*
Mizuno MP 15 4-P TTDG S300
Callaway MD3 52* & 58*
Rife Barbados... the best putter ever.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I wanted to revive this discussion and see if there are any more comments about the comparison between the MX-200s and the AP1s. After demoing many irons, I am down to these irons. I also reeally liked the Adams CB2s, but after demoing these last time, and my swing not being on, I didn't hit these as well as these other two sets. I have demo'd both outside and liked them both. I am going to demo them again this weekend.

Also, last weekend, I was playing golf with my father-in-law. He is a die hard Mizuno fan. He still plays the MX-25s. Since we were just playing casually, he offered that I hit his irons when I had a chance to hit an iron. Can I just say that I loved the forged feel of the 25s? I was hitting them really well. I currently play the Ping G5s and am looking for an iron with less offset, but with some forgiveness still. After using the MX-25s and hitting them well, I feel like I might be hooked on forged irons. I loved the feel.

I was leaning toward the AP1s until I played Mizuno irons during an actual round. Now I am thinking of getting the MX-25s or the MX-200s. If I went Mizuno, which of these sets would you recommend?

Thanks!

Ping G25 10.5*
Ping G25 16.5*
Ping G25 20*
Titleist AP1 712 4-GW
Titleist SM5 56S and SM2 60/10
Bettinardi C01

I'll help you revive this topic...

I got a set of the MX-200s (stock shafts, killer deal at Golftown for the set that was on the wall) in time for the start of this season. I'm an unofficial 18 hcp so I need all the help I can get from the fairway and all the trouble-spots. When I hit the MX-200s well it's truly a thing of beauty and I know right away what the shot will do. That Mizuno "buttery soft" feeling everyone here goes on about is no joke. I tried many other irons when I was shopping and always came back to the 200s.

Keep in mind though, it is always the indian. No club in creation is going to magically cure an over the top move or a bad shoulder turn all by itself. That said, I have complete confidence when I set up to the ball with an MX-200 that if I do evrything right, the shot will look good, feel better, and the ball will go where I want it to go.

A bit rambly, but this is my vote for the MX-200. Get them and run, don't walk, to your nearest course....

Cheers,..

Thanks, McPete.

I am a 15 handicapper. I know that I could play either of these irons well. But after hitting my father-in-law's forged MX-25s, I am really craving irons with that feeling. The MX-200s are a little bigger than the 25s, too, which I think could give me confidence.

Ping G25 10.5*
Ping G25 16.5*
Ping G25 20*
Titleist AP1 712 4-GW
Titleist SM5 56S and SM2 60/10
Bettinardi C01

200's are awesome. I just got mine this past weekend and they are pure joy to hit. The 4 iron is as easy as a hybrid to hit. They are a little big but man do I have confidence over these clubs. Just need to reshaft them now.

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

After a couple of years since my last post, I would agree that the stock shaft for ap1 (the original 2008 model) launches high, and when I hit perfectly, making that divot in front of the ball, the launch angle is too high. But I hit perfectly more often at the driving range than on the field for some reason, so most of the time, this us not a problem. while I would also agree that you can't feel how you hit ( unless it's really bad), I wonder if this really matters for your average 20 hdcp. I struggled with my mizuno mp60 which gave definite feedback for poor hits before I got my ap1. My two cents.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased AP1 5 thru gap 2 flat with ns pro 950 reg shafts from Golftown in May after demo-ing in Florida.

Worked well for my 10 handicap 58 year year old body but... The wear after 20 rounds and a few range sessions was awful.

Was able to hit a nearly new mx200 set that was traded in. They're in my bag now. Reminded me of the comp-ez set that I enjoyed for years.

Please note that the AP1's felt better in the simulator but on grass there is no comparison to the Mizuno for me.

check out the Adams CB2. Thinner topline and sole. Very good looking club[quote name='hvsnyder' timestamp='1222347007' post='1270235']
Has anyone hit both? I have a set of AP1's and the large topline is starting to bother me. I have seen only pictures of the mx 200 and was wondering how they compare to the AP1's in size and forgiveness.
[/quote]

[quote name='draw1' timestamp='1282713139' post='2660431']
While the AP1 is easy to hit (and hits rather high), I found the MX200 to be a better all around club. Have had mine for 2+ months now and they really are a joy to hit. I think the 200s are a club that will be playable to a lower handicap in the end. I personally found the AP1s to be a bit clunky and not very good looking...
[/quote]

Currently looking for more forgiving iron than the J36 Bridgestones I'm playing. Played today for first time with AP1. Agree with you on ease to hit and going rather high. 200s are a club I would like to try too. 4.7 in current index and consistent iron play is what is holding me back on poor rounds. Excited about 3 or 4 sets of irons out there to test. Unfortunately, none of them are available with Aerotech Steelfiber shafts. That is what I really want to test. Probably will just play 5.5's in whatever I get.