2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

CBS coverage unwatchable

sandy

It's been a long time since I tried watching live golf coverage and I probably won't again until the Masters. My gosh what a lot of commercials. I thought it seemed like a lot but then I started timing. For the last 1/2 hour (4:15 to 4:45) it is 2 minutes of golf and 3 minutes of commercials many of them shilling the next CBS covered tournament. I rememered it as being bad but this takes the cake. And they don't even have Tiger to dote on so I guess it is jam all the commercials possible in. At least this way no one can comment on the lousy announcers---they aren't on long enough to irritate anyone. AWFUL AWFUL.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big problem is that there isn't anyone playing by that late in the round except for the final couple of groups so there's less golf to cover--big problem right there.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

It's been a long time since I tried watching live golf coverage and I probably won't again until the Masters. My gosh what a lot of commercials. I thought it seemed like a lot but then I started timing. For the last 1/2 hour (4:15 to 4:45) it is 2 minutes of golf and 3 minutes of commercials many of them shilling the next CBS covered tournament. I rememered it as being bad but this takes the cake. And they don't even have Tiger to dote on so I guess it is jam all the commercials possible in. At least this way no one can comment on the lousy announcers---they aren't on long enough to irritate anyone. AWFUL AWFUL.

I seriously am SO glad, that all those adds are cut out for european TV.... :pimp:

Sorry I had to say this, but hey if you are fed up with the "messages from your local station" I always have some drinks in the fridge for some fellow WRXers!

:drinks: :crazy2:

It was irritating......way too many commecials. Thanks God I had the movie "Hitch" going on my other DTV tuner and could flip back and forth.

The commercials are a real problem and as the bidding wars for TV rights have escalated the past few years, the networks have to run loads of commercials just to pay for their right to broadcast the events. I heard an obscene number the Golf Channel is paying the PGA Tour for the rights to be the exclusive cable network starting next year. Billions........

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Holy smokes, I thought it was just me.. I swear there was one sequence where we went Ad-break -> 2 golf shots -> Ad-break -> 1 Golf shot -> Ad break - 2 golf shots, one slow-mo swing thingy -> Ad-break.. And that doesn't include the constantly repeated promos for CBS' evening line-up.

And please, someone gag Lanny Wadkins.. gushing constantly about how innacessible the pin on 18 was. Obviously it was a tricky pin, tucked away back right there behind a trap, but come on, a lot of the shots they showed were being hit with pretty short irons if not pitching wedges.. Totally pathetic commentary.

If it weren't for the display JB Holmes put on I'd have tuned out straight away.

Thank goodness for TIVO. I start the recording, go grab a beer or two and head back to watch it 30 minutes later. Funny thing is, I skip the commercials and by the end of the 2 hours broadcast I catch up with the live feed.

Taylormade M1 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Callaway Apex Hybrids 20* & 23*
Callaway Apex Pro 16 5-PW Project X
Callaway MD3 54* & 58*
Odyssey Versa 1

Thank goodness for TIVO. I start the recording, go grab a beer or two and head back to watch it 30 minutes later. Funny thing is, I skip the commercials and by the end of the 2 hours broadcast I catch up with the live feed.

Exactly!..You people need to get TIVO....greatest thing since TV itself... :drinks:

Also, I wish someone would tell McCord to shut up...He is just NOT funny.. :crazy2:

Don't get me wrong I 'm sure he is a great guy..But it is torture to listen to his comentary.

Callaway BB Alpha 10.5 Tour AD DI-6s
19*, 22* TM Rescue tour issue
Epon AF-503 5-AW Recoil Prototype 110 F4
54* TM TP, 60* TM Proto
Scotty Catalina Two

In my observance, what we have in McCord and Lanny Wadkins are a couple of "one-trick ponies." Different, yes, but still one-dimensional. McCord tries so hard to come up with the great one-liner, the exaggerated metaphor that has long been the playground of Sports Illustrated writer Rick Reilly. Problem is, McCord may have lots of these scribbled down, hoping to use them at the appropriate moment, but golf is so unpredictable that the golf shots on-air may not match McCord's "ammunition."

Now as for Wadkins, he simply lacks creativity, so instead tries to make up for it by emphasizing a particular word or syllable. He thus relies too heavily on voice inflection. Example: "He has GOT to get this in the fairway, Jim."

Well, duh, Lann-o.

Funny how enjoyable it is to stay up late (or rise early) and listen to the European Tour announcers . . . much more eloquent, far less grating.

But hey, if there were a threesome of J.B. Holmes, Tiger, and Bubba Watson going at it, I wouldn't care if Katie Curic did the play-by-play. I'd tune in to watch those bombers try to out-bomb each other!

I'll be sure to tell him that for you tomorrow. :crazy2: He sure beats most of them.

Also, I wish someone would tell McCord to shut up...He is just NOT funny.. :drinks:

Don't get me wrong I 'm sure he is a great guy..But it is torture to listen to his comentary.

I'll be sure to tell him that for you tomorrow. :pimp: He sure beats most of them.

Also, I wish someone would tell McCord to shut up...He is just NOT funny.. :crazy2:

Hifade,

Like I said at the end of my post I'm sure he is a great guy. Heck, I'd love to play a round of golf with him as I'm sure it would be a blast. I may have been a little harsh with my first post but just as WriterRay stated I feel he just tries to hard to be witty and funny and for me it makes it a very hard listen. Different strokes for different folks... :drinks:

Callaway BB Alpha 10.5 Tour AD DI-6s
19*, 22* TM Rescue tour issue
Epon AF-503 5-AW Recoil Prototype 110 F4
54* TM TP, 60* TM Proto
Scotty Catalina Two

bethpageblk,

I'm with ya....they all "dig a little deep" sometimes to come up with just the right witty comment. He is a great guy and blast to play with and after you get to know him (and some of these other guys), I guess you just "listen" a little differently.

Cardo

I'll be sure to tell him that for you tomorrow. :pimp: He sure beats most of them.

Hifade,

Like I said at the end of my post I'm sure he is a great guy. Heck, I'd love to play a round of golf with him as I'm sure it would be a blast. I may have been a little harsh with my first post but just as WriterRay stated I feel he just tries to hard to be witty and funny and for me it makes it a very hard listen. Different strokes for different folks... :drinks:

This is a very cool technique and idea....the problem that I see with American telecasts is that the networks spend so much for the rights to broadcast these events that in order to recoup their expenses, they have to sell the ad time, and as much as possible just to make money. Here, is all about the almightly dollar. The network that figures out how to do this while serving the viewing publc better will find the holy grail IMHO.

Cardo

On the BBC, there are NO ADS!! The Open Championship (aka British Open) is shown for 7 or 8 hours, with one or two short breaks for lunchtime news or to switch channels. Otherwise wall to wall golf and a few small pieces where one of the on course commentators demonstrates the slope on a tricky green or something like that.

Also no "This shot was brought to you by ..." either.

We get a lot of US golf coverage here.

Some of the commentators are very informative, telling me that "he wants to hit this in the fairway" when stupid me, I thought he wanted to hit it in the trees. I like McCord and Feherty, but some of the others are terrible. I think one of the problem is that they think they must keep talking. Big mistake. Sometimes less is more.

On UK TV, Sky (cable) has ad breaks, but fewer during Euro PGA coverage than US. When showing US golf, they take some of the US ad breaks, but fill in some others with studio commentary.

On the BBC, there are NO ADS!! The Open Championship (aka British Open) is shown for 7 or 8 hours, with one or two short breaks for lunchtime news or to switch channels. Otherwise wall to wall golf and a few small pieces where one of the on course commentators demonstrates the slope on a tricky green or something like that.

Also no "This shot was brought to you by ..." either.

Ah roll-on the Summer and coverage on the BBC. Until then it's Golf via the Tivo, just can't watch it live anymore....... How long is it before we hear the IMOP the best Golf commentator on TV - Peter Allis

Enjoy the link.......

Peter Allis article prior to heading for the masters.....

PING LST 8.5' / Stretch 13.5' / G400 17'
Callaway Apex Pro 4 to PW, Mack Daddy Forged 50, 55, 60
Scotty X5, Vice Pro Plus in White

Funny how enjoyable it is to stay up late (or rise early) and listen to the European Tour announcers . . . much more eloquent, far less grating.

Renton Laidlaw is THE MAN. Not only is his voice incredibly pleasing, his play-by-play is excellent. I could listen to him do play-by-play for a match between two local hackers at my muni course.

I usually video tape the golf tournaments I watch. One, it allows my to do other things like either PLAY GOLF or GO TO THE RANGE instead of watching T.V on a nice sunny Texas Sunday afternoon. Two, I like to slo-mo certain players swings. Three, I can just fast forward through the commercials. Four, if a tournament really has a dramatic or exciting finish I can keep it and play it back.

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoy the Europen coverage more. Much more considerate and less arrogant!

This is why I cannot wait until TGC takes over full coverage of all events

No more moronic comments from Gary and Lanny and best of all, fewer adds.

I count on average about 4 to 6 strokes in between each and every commercial break. 4minutes of ads, 90 sconds of Golf!!!

E-NUFF-ALL-REDDY ;)

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

Here in the Uk we receive via Sky Sports American Golf broadcasts from all the TV companies and frankly all of them are crap. If it isn't commercial after commercial interupted by the odd Golf shot then its overpaid washed up pro's going on about things nobody cares about and God help us when the Golf Schmaltz channel starts Me I'm off to watch the Cricket...............................