2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='hoamskilet' post='1846130' date='Jul 27 2009, 01:41 PM']reading through this thread has just reaffirmed my belief that by far the worst part of golf is the attitude of some of those that play. I sure wish I had nothing more important to worry about than what the person in front of me is wearing.[/quote]

It is a shame some people have respect for the game. Its not about judging somebody in front of you. Its about the tradition of the game. You should look like a golfer not like your there for a pick up game of basketball. But thats just me.

[quote name='Doc420' post='1863103' date='Aug 4 2009, 12:36 AM']funny I was watching the ladies British open for a few minutes the other day and one of the leaders was wearing jeans, They were black but they were jeans. The tv gave a close up when she was behind the ball starting her routine.[/quote]
Those were probably 5 pocket pants, which look like jeans, but, are not made of denim.

[quote name='golfpro555' post='1875561' date='Aug 9 2009, 07:59 PM'][quote name='hoamskilet' post='1846130' date='Jul 27 2009, 01:41 PM']reading through this thread has just reaffirmed my belief that by far the worst part of golf is the attitude of some of those that play. I sure wish I had nothing more important to worry about than what the person in front of me is wearing.[/quote]

It is a shame some people have respect for the game. Its not about judging somebody in front of you. Its about the tradition of the game. You should look like a golfer not like your there for a pick up game of basketball. But thats just me.
[/quote]

Well I guess we should all be running out and buying up some knickers, argyle socks, and golf caps.....after all, it's all about respect and sticking to tradition

Oh, and if you take a quick read back through this thread you'll see that several people do cast judgement on others because of what they're wearing

• 2 weeks later...

I hate seeing jeans on the golf course. I think they look tacky.

Love wearing them around but they are the worst for playing sport in

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

Jeans should not be worn on any course!!!! :nono:

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 9* Tour AD DI 60S

Callaway Paradym  AI Smoke TD 3 Wood 15* Tour AD DI 70S

Callaway Paradym  AI Smoke TD 5 wood 18* Tour AD DI 70S

Callaway Apex Pro '24 irons 4-PW DG Tour issue x-100 

Callaway Jaws Black Raw wedges 50* 54* 58* DG tour issue x-100
2014 Newport 2 Scotty Cameron putter
2024 Smoke Staff Bag

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't wear them on the course personally, but I dont have a problem with someone else wearing jeans as long as they do not have any holes in them and you have a collared shirt and it is tucked in...... I have problems with T shirts, jerseys, sideways caps, and not knowing the rules and etiquette of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is funny to me. Who gives a damn what you wear on the course? IT'S ONLY GOLF!!!!!!!!! Personally, I would wear a wife beater and sweat pants if the course allowed it. I'd be even more inclined to do so if it annoyed someone along the way. Oh I forgot, if we don't dress properly, we can't rub elbows with "the elite". That is, after all, why we all play golf, right? To show our fashion and new clubs. You people kill me that dress like the mannequin at Golfsmith and have a six pack of beer in your cart or bag? Rules and ettiquete? Show me a rule that specifically allows beer on the course. Real tradition should be left to the pros. I just want to kill some time on a Saturday. I'll be damned if I'm not going to be comfortable doing it.

What is more troubling is the overall dress standards in every facet of life, not just the golf course.

Seems people will wear anything these days, anywhere. People have zero respect for how they appear, and don't give that silly nonsense about how it doesn't matter...yes it does.

I think jeans in general look tacky. I don't own a pair, if anyone says that jeans are more comfortable than khaki pants, then clearly, delusion has set in. How could loose fitting khakis be less comfortable than heavy, tighter fitting jeans?

[quote name='glcoach' post='1967441' date='Sep 23 2009, 10:53 AM']What is more troubling is the overall dress standards in every facet of life, not just the golf course.

Seems people will wear anything these days, anywhere. People have zero respect for how they appear, and don't give that silly nonsense about how it doesn't matter...yes it does.[/quote]

I agree with you completely. I was at a recent funeral and there were actually people there in jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers. I was taught you go to a funeral in a suit and tie. Sorry if it isn't convenient and comfortable- that's not why you're there.

Same in my office- people look like crap. Then we added "dress-down days." That's when it really went to hell. Sweat pants, flip-flops, old t-shirts. They're still not any more productive despite being so "comfortable."

On the golf course? There's plenty of comfortable clothes that look nice and are reasonably priced. You don't have to buy $120 golf shirts at the pro shop. Marshalls has nice ones for $25.

[quote name='msuggs' post='1967788' date='Sep 23 2009, 01:55 PM']40 degrees and windy = jeans[/quote]

See that's just it- you're gravitating to the jeans because you think those are extreme conditions- and when it's extreme, go for the jeans.

40* + windy for me translates to some Under Armor Cold Gear undergarments, a nice pair of warm pants (take your pick- courduroy, wool, etc.), a light sweater and a wind breaker. Light, not bulky, warm.

Even if the cold weather clothes are a little more expensive, since you probably play a lot less during the winter, you don't need to buy as much.

There's always a nice alternative to jeans.

I try to avoid jeans on the course, even on the ones that allow them. I will sometimes play in jeans if it's a mid day round that I just decided to get a quich 9 in with. I don't have time to go home and change sometimes when I do that.

I guess hanging out here the last year is changing my opinions about things golf related. Is that a good thing?

If it's not a tournament or social event, then wear whatever you want. I am more concerned about my game than I am about what other people are wearing. Baseball players don't wear their full uniforms while they are at practice, when I'm out to play 18 and I feel like wearing jeans because that's what's comfortable, then that's what I'm going to wear. That doesn't mean i respect the game any less. I'm out to improve, not win a beauty pageant. If I went out on Saturday morning with my buddies wearing slacks I would never hear the end of it. I do however think that when you are playing in a tournament you should dress the part. And not to say that dressing in slacks is a bad thing, it's just not for me. But then again I'm only 27, maybe it'll come with age.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

The elite attitudes on this site crack me up, and yes it is elitist. Who cares what someone is wearing as long as the course allows it. And to the people that seem to think we who wear jeans are delusional well sorry to rain on your parade but to ME, jeans are more comfortable, if you are wearing jeans that fit you properly then I like them more than my khakis. I wear both on the course but when I am playing (tourney, or just fooling around) dictates what I wear. JMO....I don't care if you don't like it. :rolleyes:

JJ

wuts the big issue? golf aint about style. i could care less if i see someone on the course rockin jeans. its wutever they wanna do. The game isn't about what you wear. just imagine what people like bobby jones would think of the ridiculous stuff we are all wearing now (j lindberg, sligo, original penquin, Loudmouth). Hell if you wanna rock jeans more power to you. ill rock jeans every now and then and get looks from people, but when i stripe one off the first tee, no1 even remembers wut i was wearing. so if u wanna rock jeans, go for it, stick it to these yuppies at these private courses and those people who think their public course is the next host of the masters.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='5lessons' post='1843006' date='Jul 25 2009, 04:55 PM']What can men hope to achieve when the respect of life is so arrogantly cast aside.
Who is not aware of the predjudices that were endured by those who came before us?
How easily we dismiss the the social injustices that the great players of this game struggled against!!
Apparently the facts regarding the origins of Golf and who precisely were "allowed " to play have been forgotten. Ladies and Gentlemen, let those who are aware of the history of this great game instruct... that this game was not available to just anyone.
There was a time when "common folk" did not aspire to walk the Links. Playing golf was for men with titles and land and wealth. Not working men,or women,or minorities...
Golf was for the wealthy gentry who could afford to squander their time, and money, on vices...like hard drink, idleness and golf. If one were not an invited member of an established Club ,the most he could hope to achieve would be to caddy for a gentleman. These days it would be fantastic to caddy for a Pro, because being a caddy implies a knowledge of the game far above the averge player.
Not so in the past.
All one needs to do is spend some time on the couch watching a few good movies or better yet turn the tube off and start reading the great books out there.
Who knows what "R&A" stands for? And how it so importantly impacts our course design today?
We all know who the pioneers of Baseball are. We instantly recognize the Heismann Trophy. We honor the greats by retiring their Jerseys...we respect their Uniform.
Because we understand the hard work,dermination and fortitude it took to earn it.
It wasn't free and it wasn't cheap.
We strive to respect the Players of the past by emulating their uniforms. The knickers,dress shirt and tie of Harry Vardon. The wild trousers of Jack Nicklaus.
The question is not how can we attempt to bring the game down to our level..The statement we should be making is " I may never win the Masters but I still Love the game, I understand the History,and I respect the obstacles that had to be overcome for me to be on this course".
I dress like a respectable player because I AM a respectable player.[/quote]
Very well written.

Golf [u]became[/u] the sport of the gentry. But at its [u]birth[/u], golf was the "sport" of shepards, watching their flock, smiting rocks, then feather stuffed pouches, with their crooks. Their dress was as rough hewn as they were. They were the products of the wildest, most inhosptiable places because those were the places that were available for their sheep to graze. Like the cowboys and miners who inherited the life of solitude and labor that gave soul to our game, their trousers undoubtedly reflected a life of challenge and struggle again the worst of nature and man.

Loving the game spans the sweep of all those on whose shoulders we stand to appreciate the game, gentry [u]and[/u] shepard [u]and[/u] all those in between. That some of these shoulders were clad in cloth less luxurious than silk and britches cut from bolts that were rough to the touch, should be our joy not our burden. To deny this heritage is to deny ourselves the opportunity to feel the world as those lonely shepards felt it.

Our sport is the product of honorable people. Wear what you will on the course but wear it with honor. And honor knows no race, creed, or social class. Honor is available to everyone. Honor the best of golf's past in your actions, not its accoutrements. If you are incapable of seeing the quality of person but revel in your ability to measure the quality of his(her) britches, you are missing something very important, methinks.

Reading you SMITH5606, is like reading music IMHO, I envy your knowledge and subtle manipulation of the language (that is an honest/sincere compliment) but, this time I am confused...Do you say Yay or Nay?

On the Golf Channel, they are giving a "celebrety status" to a foursome getting to Torrey Pines on saturday pm to be the first on the course on Sunday morning. They call themselves "The dawn patrol", I don't doubt their love for the game or the Course but, they do pride themselves on being allowed to wear the same "work clothes" that they wear all week.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

[quote name='mdgboxx' post='2036880' date='Oct 31 2009, 08:47 AM']Reading you SMITH5606, is like reading music IMHO, I envy your knowledge and subtle manipulation of the language (that is an honest/sincere compliment) but, this time I am confused...Do you say Yay or Nay?

On the Golf Channel, they are giving a "celebrety status" to a foursome getting to Torrey Pines on saturday pm to be the first on the course on Sunday morning. They call themselves "The dawn patrol", I don't doubt their love for the game or the Course but, they do pride themselves on being allowed to wear the same "work clothes" that they wear all week.[/quote]
Fur it. Got 'em on now. Had 'em on this mornin' when I played. Durn cold, here. Thanks fer askin'.