Looking for something different.
I'm looking for some suggestions for a couple of rounds in Charlotte next week. In the past I've enjoyed Ballantyne and Springfield (?) just across the border in South Carolina. Both were enjoyable. I'd prefer not to have to travel too far or spend huge sums. I'll be playing during the week as opposed to a weekend day. I've perused EZ-Links, but am not too familiar with the courses listed. Suggestions of good courses as well as ones to avoid would be welcome.

Thanks!
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that public golf here is not great for the price. Most have fantastic layouts but are in poor condition. I will say that one public that works hard to keep in good condition is Birkdale in Huntersville. It is crowded and slow most of the time, but a weekday round would not be too bad. It has been in much better playing condition recently compared to Skybrook, Highland Creek, and Tradition...all in the north end of town. It is a little more expensive but I would be happy to get you on at Northstone in Huntersville where I am a member. It is a great Pete Dye private course just north of Charlotte, but during the week is around 50-60$.

Other ideas are Olde Sycamore near Mint Hill and Verdict Ridge just 30 minutes from downtown. VR is very easy to get to now with the highway 16 roadwork completed to Denver...the course is just off that exit, but a little pricy as well. Great layout, very fun but target style golf at VR.

I agree that public golf here is not great for the price. Most have fantastic layouts but are in poor condition. I will say that one public that works hard to keep in good condition is Birkdale in Huntersville. It is crowded and slow most of the time, but a weekday round would not be too bad. It has been in much better playing condition recently compared to Skybrook, Highland Creek, and Tradition...all in the north end of town. It is a little more expensive but I would be happy to get you on at Northstone in Huntersville where I am a member. It is a great Pete Dye private course just north of Charlotte, but during the week is around 50-60$.

Other ideas are Olde Sycamore near Mint Hill and Verdict Ridge just 30 minutes from downtown. VR is very easy to get to now with the highway 16 roadwork completed to Denver...the course is just off that exit, but a little pricy as well. Great layout, very fun but target style golf at VR.

I happened to catch a show the other morning that was showing highlights from an amateur tournament held at NorthStone. It was a great looking course. I'm certainly going to look into playing in that tournament next year just to play the course.

Bummed to hear about Skybrook. As its my favorite layout in the area. Imo it's gone downhill slightly since it became part of the golf trail. I used to live off exit 25 and played alot of golf out at Skybrook, they used to have some of the slickest greens in the area (public courses anyway). I enjoyed Northstone the 3 times I played there as well, hopefully the o.p. takes you up on your offer, very generous of you! :)

Birkdale is a nice course with a great layout!Rocky River in concord, is a very challenging and is in great shape!Fort Mill at exit 85just across the border(5 minutes from springfeild) just reopened and is in great!!! condition with hard fast greens(10-11 on the stimp)

Nike Vr Tour 9.5. GD AD-DI 6S
Nike Dymo 15. BB 63S. Nike SQ2 19.UST V2
Nike Vr Forged SC 5-P. KBS Tour
Nike Vr Pro 50, 54. DG S400
Scratch Forged 58 GR8 grind. KBS Tour
Nike Method MCi3. Iomic White Midsize

Old sycamore and Emerald Lake in Mint Hill are nice. Rocky River in Concord, right across from the speedway is good too.

Same deal on Skybrook, rough shape the last time i was out there. Another nice one is Stonebridge out near Monroe Really like that one. Greens are always in good shape. Played in a tourney at Regent Park Last week, This one is in Fort Mill and it was in good shape.

Thanks to all who have responded, and thanks for the offer NCNickentguy! I'm not sure what day or days I will be able to play, and I'm probably going to play with a friend from the Charlotte area, so we'll probably stick to Ballantyne, but since he is an area resident, I'll bring up some of the courses you all have mentioned to see if he knows them.

Someone said Ballantyne recently "reopened"....What was done to cause it to close?

Another one to consider is Carolina Lakes in Sun City...just about 10 minutes south of Ballantyne on the same road. It is a newer course that is not walkable and has some growing in to do. The greens are hard right now but it is a nice layout and a descent deal for the price and not too far away.

I played Carolina Lakes today and it was very very hard!greens were really firm. Great course though.

Nike Vr Tour 9.5. GD AD-DI 6S
Nike Dymo 15. BB 63S. Nike SQ2 19.UST V2
Nike Vr Forged SC 5-P. KBS Tour
Nike Vr Pro 50, 54. DG S400
Scratch Forged 58 GR8 grind. KBS Tour
Nike Method MCi3. Iomic White Midsize

Another one to consider is Carolina Lakes in Sun City...just about 10 minutes south of Ballantyne on the same road. It is a newer course that is not walkable and has some growing in to do. The greens are hard right now but it is a nice layout and a descent deal for the price and not too far away.

I played Carolina Lakes today and it was very very hard!greens were really firm. Great course though.

I played it earlier this year and I've never played a golf course with such hard ground. You were lucky if you hit the fairway and were able to keep the ball in the fairway. I heard that due to money, the fairways were not constructed properly. The layout isn't bad, but the conditions are horrible. I'd stay away from this place unless you get on for free.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='sksmall' date='30 October 2008 - 11:05 PM' timestamp='1225422332' post='1313892']
Lancaster GC and Edgewater GC, both in Lancaster. Lancaster GC is old, traditional, fairly inexpensive, fun. Edgewater is brand new, tree-lined and tight, and very nice
[/quote]

+1 on Edgwater - it's a fun layout that you can score well on and the staff is extremely friendly. Also a great practice area - only problem is that it is a b*tch to get to. Once you get there though, you will not be disappointed.

"Excuses are the nails that build the house of failure."

• 2 months later...

Skybrook and Waterford are fun tracks but also part of the Carolina Golf Trail. Course conditions and pace of play can be hit or miss.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Diamana DF 60X
Titleist TS3 15* w/ Diamana BF 70X
Titleist 913h 19* w/ Tensei Pro Blue
Mizuno JPX900 Forged w/ PX 6.0
Titleist Vokey Raw 50, 54, 60 w/ KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Tour Rat

• 1 month later...

[quote name='rblmp32' date='01 April 2010 - 09:37 AM' timestamp='1270129061' post='2354759']
[quote name='Pinehurst1999' date='30 October 2008 - 10:02 PM' timestamp='1225418542' post='1313811']
It is a great Pete Dye private course just north of Charlotte, but during the week is around 50-60$.
[/quote]

Common misconception. The golf course was designed by P.B. Dye, not Pete. Big difference.
[/quote]
Sorry, meant PB Dye, definitely a big difference, but PB is a very accomplished designer in his own right including the Mooreland course at Legends in Myrtle Beach, featuring a Hell's Half Acre hole.

[quote name='NCSergio' date='01 April 2010 - 08:38 AM' timestamp='1270125535' post='2354674']
[quote name='sksmall' date='30 October 2008 - 11:05 PM' timestamp='1225422332' post='1313892']
Lancaster GC and Edgewater GC, both in Lancaster. Lancaster GC is old, traditional, fairly inexpensive, fun. Edgewater is brand new, tree-lined and tight, and very nice
[/quote]

+1 on Edgwater - it's a fun layout that you can score well on and the staff is extremely friendly. Also a great practice area - only problem is that it is a b*tch to get to. Once you get there though, you will not be disappointed.
[/quote]
Just played Edgewater for the first time yesterday thanks to a Fuzzy Special on Clickitgolf.com, $25 any day round including golf. My take, I would NEVER drive that far and pay over $50 for a weekend round. It was worth the drive for the $25 special, but not much more. It is a very nice layout way out in the country which is suffering from the death of the housing market, but it means you do not see a single home on this course. The majority of their bunkers have not seen a rake in at least a week. One of the rangers said it was due to the rain this past week, but that is not an excuse in my opinion, especially for greenside bunkers. Bad erosion and wash-out seen at the edges of the bunkers. About 5-8 greens looked very close to being lost, perhaps due to the long hot spell that many bent-grass courses are seeing right now.

Tega Cay made the change, and Waterford just announced a 2 month closure to change to a Bermuda Hybrid grass for their greens, easier to maintain compared to the Bent Grasses. It really was a shame, clearly this course was planned to be within a 300 home community which only has about 50 built right now, so they need people to drive a long way to come visit. Some great holes, including the third and eighteenth, and definitely worth the $25 right now from clickitgolf.com.

• 2 months later...

i am a member of northstone myself and i agree with the posters on here. The public golf around charlotte is very poor with the exception of Olde Sycamore and Verdict Ridge. Rocky River is a fantastic layout but since the city of concord has taken over they have let the course go. The greens are very shotty and most of the tee boxers were dirt. What a shame!