Retail Scotty Camerons - my take on them

dolleris

I won't play them anymore, because...
Firstly, I admire all You Scotty ho's fine TOUR/custom putters and enjoy looking at them...
Especially the 009's.
(I have bagged a StudioDesign 3.5 for 2 years and very happy with it as such.)

As a normal retail customer though, I don't have the $$ :crazy2: for spending thousands of dollars on Circle T's and 009's and what have You.

And being 'forced' to settle with normal retail SC offerings, I must say that these are OK putters - nothing special apart from a nice feel and a bit of snobbery to the ownership :pimp:

I took the time yesterday to test out a good selection of Scotty's, YES! and Rossa putters and these hours confirmed what I have sensed deep down in my black soul for a long time :
The retail Camerons fell a bit short in feel and roll compared to the YES! and Rossa's.
(tried Studio Designs, Studio Styles, futura and RedX's)

Therefore - for now I'm done with Scotty's, at least the models available for the $$ amount I am willing to spend on a putter.

But damn, I'd LOVE to have one of those 350gr 009's in black mist with sightline..... :drinks:

Until I have the coin - I'll settle for cheap sticks like the YES! and Rossa's!!

Let me hear what You REALLY feel about this gap between the tour/custom/ high dollar Scotty's and the normal retails.....
Soeren

My bag
TM SIM2 Max driver, G425 Max woods, Titleist 818 hybrid, Srixon Z565 irons, Vokey SM7 wedges, Yes Tracy III putter

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my current "retail" Scotty in the bag. I also have a few tour ones along with a bunch of Pings, a few Yes, TM's, Gauge Whitlam, Gauge Japan, Bettinardi's, Odyssey's, Bridegestones, TP Mills.

I personally don't think there's that great of a gap between the tour vs retail Scotty. When I putt with the Circle T's, I know I have a mental thought that I have one heck of a great and expensive putter at the end of my hands, but if it's not rolling it in....I'm not going to use it.

Personally I think putting is at least 80% mental. If it gives you the mental advantage to use a tour putter..good on you.

I have realized differences in the tour camerons that I've tried or owned...mainly in the weight of the putter and how it swings. Even retails that are supposed to be 350g don't "feel" the same in that category.

With that said I think some of the newer technology out there has some serious merits. I have a limited edition Guerin Rife Aussie on the way, and hopefully a tour Beasley.

However I personally think that TP Mills produces some of the finest and best feeling putters available.

Titleist TSI3
Cobra Baffler
Callaway Apex MB 3-G w/ DG
Titleist SM8 54, 59 w/ DG
Odyssey butane Black Series i #1 w/ welded long neck

I agree with your initial post. I gave up on Camerons. I would like to have a heavier head, and I often thought it would be nice to have a tour model to get it, But I want to use my putter, not make it an investment opportunity, and since their seems to be some people out in the marketplace that seem to get these things "somehow" and then resell them, well I just got tired of that game.

I now use a Slighter (345gm, or my Yes Dianna (with the heaviest weight can be 350), but mostly now love the look and the feel of the Gauge Design Japan putters, which will be even nicer when released in North America under the G-Field name. Can't go wrong.

I too have struggled with the tour vs. retail in the putter dept and have often wondered myself....is there a difference? JGalls has said it best I do believe. The major difference between the tour and retail offerings has to do with the weight of the putter. I had a custom GAO3 made for me by David Whitlam and it is great. The head weight is 350 which I do prefer and the feel on impact is nothing short of a tour scotty. I have owned 4 tour scotties and to be honest they really did nothing for me other than the fact that they were awesome to look at. For the money, I believe that guys like TP mills and Whitlam probably offer the most bang for your buck as far as performance and customization go. that is, unless you absolutely have to have the coolest looking putter on the block...then you better go with Scotty IMHO!!!! Give the smaller comapnies a try and I think everyone here will be pleasantly surprised!!!

I admit I do not have all the experience with alot of different companies in regards to putters, I used to use Ping for the longest time, then I went to a Scotty and haven't looked back. I have tried the new Pings that my buddies use as well as some pick of the bin putters, IMHO I still use a Scotty "retail" putter because I love the feel and the look of them, I have never seen a 009 or a tour putter in person let alone putt with one, but I assume those bring some sort of confidence bonus with them, I feel confident using my "retail" Scotty that a Ping or any other putter can't bring to me.

The putter is by far the most personal club in your bag. If you don't mind using a light putter, a retail Scotty is a fine choice, as is something like a Ping or an Odyssey.

If you prefer a heavier putter, it gets slightly more difficult, and I agree with tincup that some of the smaller manufacturers, someone like a Slighter, or a Gauge (either Whitlam or Japan), or even a TP Mills can give you the heavier weight that you need.

That said, I used one Scotty as a gamer, it was the Caliente Grand Bolero with the removeable soleplate so you could add weight, and I added enough weight to get the putter up to the range where it felt right. Since then I've gone to heavier putters, and Scotty doesn't offer those in the retail market.

-Thomas

I have had a lot of Cameron putters, both tour and retail. I think the main difference is the stampings and weight. The tour and retail heads start out the same unless it is a handmade. I like the the new technology of anti skid and forward roll putters. I have started using a Rossa Daytona AGSI and like the results so far. The only downfall is that I had to put an inch of leadtape on the bottom. I think that Yes, TM and other grooved putters will be seen in more bags as the technology improves.

I recently purchased my first tour Scotty, an oil can 009 34" 350 gram with sight dot. The authentication number is A004050. Having putted with at least 5 retail Scotty's and several other retail brands including Yes!, Ping, Odyssey, etc., I can tell a HUGE difference in the way a tour Scotty feels.

It feels heavier than most 350 gram heads and flows better. Not to mention the 009 is very sweet looking. Is it worth the difference in price when compared to performance? Maybe not. But I like it and that's all that matters!

Tour Cameron's are expensive but worth the investment. Stop buying a bunch of different putters and get a real good one, whether a Scotty or not. There are lots of good one's to choose from. Although a couple putters are nice for a different look every once in awhile. We'll drop big $$$ on a driver but we get cheap on putters sometimes. I LOVE my tour Scotty.

I saw a Scotty Cameron retail putter on another site that Tom Slighter had customized for the owner. He cut a "beach" sound slot in the sole, drilled the heel & toe and installed custom tungsten weights, and changed the color scheme. It was great looking work and may be worth it for those who have a Cameron that is "an old friend" but want it a little heavier.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

I totally agree. The the studio styles seem to be over the top with color and too light. The tour stuff and 009 are very pretty, but not worth thousands IMO for a block of metal with desire attached to it. And are they really so rare that they warrant that much money. They seem to be for sale constantly and easy enough to get a hold of if you have the money.

What I don't understand is why Byron Morgan, Slighter, Oak, Moore, and other putters don't get more talk? I have a 365gram newport 2 style milled by Byron Morgan himself coming that looks and feels WAY WAY better than Scotty's version milled by his workers and I had complete control over stampings and everyother detail... and it cost less than a retail scotty. Part of my dislike for camerons is that everyone has one or is getting one. I'd like to be more unique than buying a cameron just because if I did invest in one part of me would feel like I fell for the marketing and web hype. BUT the 009 and cameron&co series are flat out sweet looking. so in the end there's something for everyone i guess.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

This is my first post. Where does one go to purchase a Tour Cameron?

Check the Scotty FAQ>>>Here

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Why do people buy Tour Camerons?

1) Prestige

2) Uniqueness

3) Options not available to the general public

4) For the most part, they keep there value exceptionally well

5) Because I can

6) Because I can pass it down from one generation to another

7) It represents a classic shape, moment in time, or piece of history

8) Drive for show, putt for dough

9) Cause Scotty looks after the collector market

10) Because that's what the pro's play and I can sink a 10ft putt but can't drive it 350 like Tiger. (Unless my ball hits a cartpath) :D

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
BST AD Help

Why do people buy Tour Camerons?

1) Prestige

2) Uniqueness

3) Options not available to the general public

4) For the most part, they keep there value exceptionally well

5) Because I can

6) Because I can pass it down from one generation to another

7) It represents a classic shape, moment in time, or piece of history

8) Drive for show, putt for dough

9) Cause Scotty looks after the collector market

10) Because that's what the pro's play and I can sink a 10ft putt but can't drive it 350 like Tiger. (Unless my ball hits a cartpath) :cheesy:

:D That's exactly it!! Slighter can build you any putter you want, but he can also do it for your nieghber and so on, which eventually takes away the uniqeness you desired by have a "custom" putter made. Scotties tour models and retail models are not for everybody, they are for the people who like knowing that the putter they have in their hands is one of a kind. This is not to take away from any other putters out there it's just to say that if the above list does not matter to you don't spend the money. Good luck finding what the putter that works for you!! CAM :)

I totally agree. The the studio styles seem to be over the top with color and too light. The tour stuff and 009 are very pretty, but not worth thousands IMO for a block of metal with desire attached to it. And are they really so rare that they warrant that much money. They seem to be for sale constantly and easy enough to get a hold of if you have the money.

What I don't understand is why Byron Morgan, Slighter, Oak, Moore, and other putters don't get more talk? I have a 365gram newport 2 style milled by Byron Morgan himself coming that looks and feels WAY WAY better than Scotty's version milled by his workers and I had complete control over stampings and everyother detail... and it cost less than a retail scotty. Part of my dislike for camerons is that everyone has one or is getting one. I'd like to be more unique than buying a cameron just because if I did invest in one part of me would feel like I fell for the marketing and web hype. BUT the 009 and cameron&co series are flat out sweet looking. so in the end there's something for everyone i guess.

There are very few 009's for sale. I checked eBay yesterday and there weren't any. There aren't any here or BSG. And the guys at AOP and Table Rock probably have limited stock since the Cameron shop isn't doing custom putters right now. That's part of the reason the 009 is so expensive...supply and demand.

When (just a matter of time) Tiger switches from his Newport 2 to a Nike putter the Cameron market could collapse.

:D :) :cheesy: :miz::WTF:

And Titleist couldn't sell golf balls after Tiger switched to Nike...

Golf ball comparison is irrevelent. There is no question, Camerons are what they are today in part due to Tiger's success. I've never heard the argument that Titleist wouldnt sell balls after Tiger went to Nike. Anyone would be foolish to think the Cameron market would sustain itself if Tiger switches, same nonsense that drives GOOG predictons to $1000/share.

When (just a matter of time) Tiger switches from his Newport 2 to a Nike putter the Cameron market could collapse.

Golf ball comparison is irrevelent. There is no question, Camerons are what they are today in part due to Tiger's success. I've never heard the argument that Titleist wouldnt sell balls after Tiger went to Nike. Anyone would be foolish to think the Cameron market would sustain itself if Tiger switches, same nonsense that drives GOOG predictons to $1000/share.

I respectfully disagree that the Cameron market will not sustain itself if/when Tiger switches. Most of the people willing to pay big $$$ for tour issue or collectible Cameron items have no loyalty to Tiger. Said people believe that Scotty makes the best looking, feeling, performing putter...period. I will agree that Tiger helped put Scotty in the limelight with his Masters victory in 1997. That said, the Scotty train is moving way too fast with way too many passengers. It won't be stopped.

I guess I'm foolish because I could care less what Tiger plays. When you get a chance, go to www.cameroncollector.com if you haven't done so already. See how many Tiger Woods references you see over there (other than B/S/T items bearing his name). Very few if any true Cameron fans and collectors buy/use his products because Tiger putts with one.

There are very few 009's for sale. I checked eBay yesterday and there weren't any. There aren't any here or BSG. And the guys at AOP and Table Rock probably have limited stock since the Cameron shop isn't doing custom putters right now. That's part of the reason the 009 is so expensive...supply and demand.

doesn't matter. If I had 2 grand or more i could find one with relative ease. it may take a few weeks but they are out there constantly.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

I respectfully disagree that the Cameron market will not sustain itself if/when Tiger switches. Most of the people willing to pay big $$$ for tour issue or collectible Cameron items have no loyalty to Tiger. Said people believe that Scotty makes the best looking, feeling, performing putter...period. I will agree that Tiger helped put Scotty in the limelight with his Masters victory in 1997. That said, the Scotty train is moving way too fast with way too many passengers. It won't be stopped.

I guess I'm foolish because I could care less what Tiger plays. When you get a chance, go to www.cameroncollector.com if you haven't done so already. See how many Tiger Woods references you see over there (other than B/S/T items bearing his name). Very few if any true Cameron fans and collectors buy/use his products because Tiger putts with one.

Its not just golfball comparison last time i checked tiget used to play titleist clubs and i tihnk titleist is still around. And no i dont think Davis Love the III, Brad FAxon, Adam SCott, Earnie Els, Tom Kite, the list goes on could sustain cameron lol. Do you have any idea how ridiculous what u just said sounds.

There is precedents of clubs going down when Tiger switches. The 970 went down when he switched to Nike. There is no doubting the Tiger effect to some extent. At the same time, Tiger has won so many majors that his Major winner putters have also gone down in value. I doubt Tiger will ever switch, he's said he won't many times. He said he's not that type of player. Even if he does, it will take more than Tiger switching putters to bring the market down. Something like over supply would effect the market more.

Its not just golfball comparison last time i checked tiget used to play titleist clubs and i tihnk titleist is still around. And no i dont think Davis Love the III, Brad FAxon, Adam SCott, Earnie Els, Tom Kite, the list goes on could sustain cameron lol. Do you have any idea how ridiculous what u just said sounds.

BST AD Help