So frustrated with BOS (Black Oxide Service)

Hungsolo

I emailed for a quote for a refinish of my carbon steel putter (head only) and for them to cut a sightline. They responded with a price quote for $46 dollars "for the service(s) you requested."

I just checked my card and it was billed at 82 dollars????

When I called, they first tried to tell me that it was $36 for them to ship fedex from san diego to sacramento (600 miles), then she said that also covers the shipping box! LOL. Then she said, oh, the quote we gave you was only for the refinish. The sightline (which I clearly asked for when requesting the first quote) is an additional 25....

Now, I have the email they sent me giving a total of $46. I have my request for a quote specifically asking for a refinish and a single sight line..... They won't budge, saying, basically I should have known better, and their price quote didn't include the sightline.

I won't send them anything again. Just thought you guys should know. I'm sure everyone else has had great experiences with them, but when I ask for a quote, and don't change what I want, I expect to pay what they say it will cost.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they may have misquoted you the first time, because the final price does make sense.

However, it was poor for them to quote you a particular price and charge you almost double that at the end. I've never used BOS before but this sounds very disappointing. It's understandable that you don't want to go back again.

Going back and looking at their price list, I think they did mis quote me, but then I'm not sure why they have the "request a quote" function at all. They require that you send the quote with your purchase, too! Lot of good that did me. If I had known it was going to be 80 bucks I would have waited or not done it at all.

I emailed for a quote for a refinish of my carbon steel putter (head only) and for them to cut a sightline. They responded with a price quote for $46 dollars "for the service(s) you requested."

I just checked my card and it was billed at 82 dollars????

When I called, they first tried to tell me that it was $36 for them to ship fedex from san diego to sacramento (600 miles), then she said that also covers the shipping box! LOL. Then she said, oh, the quote we gave you was only for the refinish. The sightline (which I clearly asked for when requesting the first quote) is an additional 25....

Now, I have the email they sent me giving a total of $46. I have my request for a quote specifically asking for a refinish and a single sight line..... They won't budge, saying, basically I should have known better, and their price quote didn't include the sightline.

I won't send them anything again. Just thought you guys should know. I'm sure everyone else has had great experiences with them, but when I ask for a quote, and don't change what I want, I expect to pay what they say it will cost.

Sorry to hear about the misunderstanding with BOS, but to there defense in about a minute I looked at their webiste and found a price list that states 46$ for the refinish and $25 for the sightline. It sounds like there was a communication breakdown somewhere along the line. In terms of the customer service aspect if they did mis quote you for services requested it is an error on there part and some concesion should be considered by BOS. However 36+25+46=107 so somewhere someone is getting messed up, or they really only charged $15 for shipping which seams more reasonable. Either way good luck I hope you can get some resolution to this

http://www.blackoxideservice.com/Price_Lis...ishing_2007.doc

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Did you talk to Monica?

I can't imagine they won't fix this for you.

Can you post the original email?

I talked to Sherry and Monica today. They stand by their pricing, even though they have a copy of my request for both a refinish and sightline, and their quote to me for 46 plus shipping.

Good afternoon Tony,

In response to your request for quote, the current price for the item (s) you submitted for quote will cost: $46 ea

Current Lead Time is: 3-4 weeks

Our Refinishing Service includes buffing out any minor Nicks/Scratches, III Black Finish and Custom Paint Fill. Shipping is additional.

If we need to pull/re-insert the shaft(s) there is an additional fee of $13 per head.

F.Y.I. I would like to point out that any putter, iron or wedge that has platinum, nickel or chrome plating has to be stripped. Therefore, if we need to strip your items a minimum charge of $30 (up to 2 putters) will apply. This may add an additional week to your order.

If you decide to send your order, please make sure you enclose a copy of this Quote. Also, Make sure you specify what finish and what color paint fill you would like for each putter. It is best to write down what color paint you want on the Face, Sole, back & bumpers. Please do not ship your Head Covers as our return boxes don’t have room to ship them.

BOS offers an Expedite Service for an additional $30.00 (covers up to 2 items). This will allow us to process your order on a rush basis and have it complete in 10-14 business days. If you’d like this service please request Expedite on the order form.

Don’t forget to include your name, shipping address and a daytime phone number. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. You will be billed upon completion. If you provide your e-mail address on the order form, we’ll e-mail you the tracking number upon shipment. All e-mails addresses are secure and password protected. No information is sold and we do not e-mail Spam.

If you are joining our Birthday Club make sure you have provided us with your complete name and address information along with your birthday; otherwise we cannot add you to the Birthday Club program. Our Customer Service Dept mails out Discounts around the time of your Birthday so it is important to have a current address on file.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you,

P.S. Be sure to check out Custom Caddy Racks@ www.caddy-royale.com

Why Refinish with anyone else? Go to the Best...BOS!

Black Oxide Service, Inc.

Monica Slivnik ext. 217

[email protected]

Golf Department: Ext. 250

1070 Linda Vista Drive

San Marcos, California 92078

tel: 760-744-8735

fax: 760-744-7985

www.blackoxideservice.com

^^^^Now I understand why they are standing by their charges. I dont see any mention on having a sightline added in that quote.

Edit: In fact what I have read on their website and through that quote is they are pretty thorough in how they describe their charges for services. I would hope that they would be willing to work with you make a concesion to you for the misunderstanding to try and make things right, maybe split the difference with you?

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

If they give a quote for a price, they should honour it. The problem here isn't whether or not the $80 is fair, that's just how much it costs according to their price list.

It's not Hungsolo's fault that they misquoted, they should be responsible for their own mistake.

I agree, however since Hungsolo did not post his actual quote request with the response from he got BOS we dont know with what information BOS is basing their quote on. Obviously there was a communication breakdown and if the OP sent in a request as stated for both the sightline and refinish and this is the price BOS sent back then yes they should refund him for the sightline to make good on the quote even if it was in error.

If for some reason the original request was for just the refinish I could see BOS side here, but still would agree that some refund should be given just not the full amount.

There are two sides to every story and am trying to look at it from both sides here. If anything I am more shocked at the lack of effort by BOS to figure out exactly what happend and why there was this missunderstanding, they seem to have the attitude of oh thats too bad your stuck now, and thats what is dissapointing to hear.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

I have sent well over 30 putters to Monica and Sherry to refinish and have never had a problem with anything.

If you have thier information contact one of them directly and try to work things out. The only time I have heard of a problem with a putter that didnt turn out exactly as the customer wanted, they brought it to the customers attention, and offered a discount on thier next refinish.

That is my experience with them, sorry to hear about the problem. But again call them and try to work things out.

The reason I posted all of this is that I DID call them and they told me that the quote they sent me and that I agreed to did not include the sightline, even though they have my request which does include the sightline.

I called them first. They were not willing to honor the quote. Thus the post so that others may confirm their quotes prior to sending work in, or choose to have their work done elsewhere.

"legally, you should have been charged $46 dolars plus shipping, so you could tell them what they are doing is illegal"

Let's not get crazy here....they're not doing anything illegal by not honoring the original quote. That's like saying if you saw an ad for a 50 inch flat screen at Best Buy for 299.99 when it should have been listed in the ad for 2999.99 and you went in and demanded that they charge you the advertised price. Not gonna happen. The simple fact is that a mistake was made. They accidentally quoted you a price for their service that didn't include adding the sightline. If it was my company, I'd probably try to make things right by the customer, but they are under no legal obligation to do so.

BDLz

"legally, you should have been charged $46 dolars plus shipping, so you could tell them what they are doing is illegal"

Let's not get crazy here....they're not doing anything illegal by not honoring the original quote. That's like saying if you saw an ad for a 50 inch flat screen at Best Buy for 299.99 when it should have been listed in the ad for 2999.99 and you went in and demanded that they charge you the advertised price. Not gonna happen. The simple fact is that a mistake was made. They accidentally quoted you a price for their service that didn't include adding the sightline. If it was my company, I'd probably try to make things right by the customer, but they are under no legal obligation to do so.

BDLz

Actually by law, they would be responsible to sell you what ever they advertised at the price advertised. No matter what. That would be false advertising if they wouldnt sell it to you. If you demanded it and they said no, you would be a fool to back down.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

Really the issue is that their quote process is horrible.

Hungsolo, Sorry you got screwed but it happens in every business industry. They think they are in the right and you think you got the wrong end of the shaft.

The way I read the quote is that each service will cost 46 bucks...I would have called them because there is no itemized quote with a total on what you recieved anywhere. It's too vague for me but I like to see a no kidding itemized cost and total on everything I send or an email that defines the total and states all services that were requested somewhere in it.

Take it as an opportunity to make someones business better instead of a personal attack it'll lower your blood pressure most likely.

Real question is how's the putter finish and sightline work?

Actually by law, they would be responsible to sell you what ever they advertised at the price advertised. No matter what. That would be false advertising if they wouldnt sell it to you. If you demanded it and they said no, you would be a fool to back down.

HA HA HA! The logic of a ten year-old. I think you need to brush up on "the law" before dispensing advice.

I've got some sympathy for the OP but, in all honesty, it should have immediately raised flags when the quote came through. A 30 second look at the price list tells you that the cost of a 3x black finish alone comes to the same cost as the quote for the work. Common sense suggests that the cost of the sightline has perhaps been overlooked when the quote was generated and that some further querying needs to be done.

That said, it apears there's perhaps been a ****-up with the shipping costs on the part of BOS - so there's still something awry at their end.

All in all I'd mark it down to experience and vote with my feet. You got what you wanted at the going rate, so it's not like you're out of pocket - other than when basing it on the quote you got; which was quite obviously wrong. If the work's satisfactory I wouldn't be worrying unduly over twenty five quid.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

BDLz

Actually, by law, a vendor is not required to sell anything to anyone. Unless it can be proven that the add was printed incorrectly on purpose, it is not false advertising nor is the vendor required to sell at that price. Even if you could prove false advertising, you probably wouldn't get the television. Most vendors will honor the sale price as a courtesy, but that is all it is, a courtesy. Not a legal requirement. That is a very common misconception among consumers.

The only issue here is that a quote was made and then EXTRA work was completed without the owner's consent. Even that is questionable, especially since their prices are clearly posted on their site.

I just think it is unfortunate they won't honor the quote just as a good will gesture.

Hungsolo, Sorry you got screwed but it happens in every business industry. They think they are in the right and you think you got the wrong end of the shaft.

The way I read the quote is that each service will cost 46 bucks...I would have called them because there is no itemized quote with a total on what you recieved anywhere. It's too vague for me but I like to see a no kidding itemized cost and total on everything I send or an email that defines the total and states all services that were requested somewhere in it.

Take it as an opportunity to make someones business better instead of a personal attack it'll lower your blood pressure most likely.

You are right. I don't think they tried to intentionally defraud me for 25 dollars. No way. This was a mistake on their part for misquoting a price, and on mine for not checking the quote more carefully. Their initial customer service on the phone was not to my satisfaction, so I emailed Monica again. She has offered an acceptable comprimise to the situation. All of my concerns were addressed appropriately and I think we have a solution (not a full refund, but the problem is partially mine). Not sure why this wasn't handled during the telephone call, but I guess the end result is what counts.

The putter arrives tomorrow. I'm sure the work will be good....

Mods, if you want to lock this I'm good.

You are right. I don't think they tried to intentionally defraud me for 25 dollars. No way. This was a mistake on their part for misquoting a price, and on mine for not checking the quote more carefully. Their initial customer service on the phone was not to my satisfaction, so I emailed Monica again. She has offered an acceptable comprimise to the situation. All of my concerns were addressed appropriately and I think we have a solution (not a full refund, but the problem is partially mine). Not sure why this wasn't handled during the telephone call, but I guess the end result is what counts.

The putter arrives tomorrow. I'm sure the work will be good....

Mods, if you want to lock this I'm good.

I know you say you are good.....but.....you never did copy...even once...your original request....all you did for us here is copy her quote, which makes no mention of anything other than a refinish quote. Would really go a long way for us to properly see your side. Right now it 'sounds' like you are right...but without seeing what you sent them....it actually makes someone (BOS) look bad...in the absence of any actual proof.

Man I'm glad I don't have to deal w/ the general public.

ROTFL great now I just spit beer on my keyboard after I just got home from work where I deal with the general public. That statement is so true there are quite a few gems out there that make you just say huh? :black eye:

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

HA HA HA! The logic of a ten year-old. I think you need to brush up on "the law" before dispensing advice.

Actually, the fair trading act protects us from such misrepresentations. If it was indeed a mistake and provable, then they dont have to but if it was a intentional mislead, then shame on them.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select